wiper blade spillover

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 12:12 PM
5th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
wiper blade spillover

I have a 2005 RL. When the wipers are going back and forth the drivers side wiper throws water off the tip onto the passenger side of the windshield. I have never had any car do that that I've owned in the past. I had the dealer check it out to see if there was a problem with the wiper arm or blade. They said they compared it with other RL's while I was there and that all of them did the same thing. Service rep said it is just inherent in the vehicle. Has anyone else noticed this occurring? Has anyone had it fixed somehow?

PS - Just had my exhaust tips changed to the new style because of excess black soot on the tips and the lower bumper panel. I'll be watching to see if they solve the problem.
Old 04-17-2006, 07:19 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh, yeah, mine does it all the time. It is especially annoying when you use the window washer. Almost impossible not to get either cast off from the driver's side wiper blade or blow-back off the arms themselves. Pretty poor engineering.
Old 04-18-2006, 08:09 AM
office monkey

Yep, my 05 does this and it is kinda annoying. I find the whole wiper system in this car to be lackluster. I feel the nozzles dont have enough power and trying to clean the window at speed is almost useless.

They shold ahve used the GM (and am sure others) approach of having the liquid come out of the wipers as they are moving back and forth. I like that and feel it does a better job from my experience using it
Old 04-18-2006, 08:29 AM
Advanced

None of you have experienced poor wipers like the one on my former VW Touareg. They shuttered, skipped, and were very noisy. The rain-sensing system was constantly down, and the logic to control the wipers was beyond contempt. A complete total disater for such a necessary function.
Old 04-18-2006, 11:09 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I just can't believe the nozzle on the driver side is so low that the spray always hits the wiper blade arm. I guess there wasn't any rain or dirt during their testing process. Pretty pathetic...
Old 04-19-2006, 09:27 AM
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by static808
I just can't believe the nozzle on the driver side is so low that the spray always hits the wiper blade arm. I guess there wasn't any rain or dirt during their testing process. Pretty pathetic...
I think you can adjust the nozzle.
It might be as simple as inserting a needle in the nozzle opening and just moving it higher.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:16 AM
Instructor

It is actually quite easy to adjust the nozzle, but DON'T insert anything into it. The design is pretty simple, the nozzle connects with a ball and socket joint so you can easily move it around.

The problem is, that the spray is so weak that even though I adjusted it to cover the whole window when the car is stopped, it all blows down low on the driver's side when at highway speed. The passenger side nozzle seems to work at all speeds.

Same problem with the huge driver's side wiper. Works great at low speed (<40 mph) but doesn't make contact in the top center section at freeway speed. Just a bad design and here in the Pacific Northwest, I have to deal with it a lot.
Old 04-19-2006, 07:48 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks for your advice. I am going to adjust the nozzle later tonight. I wish the nozzles had more pressure. You are right ScottJ, I have that same top-center section problem.

Hopefully they make an adjustment in the '07 models and give us an update.

--------
On another note, I was on the NJ Turnpike today and saw a White Pearl RL in the bright sunshine. Awesome color!
Old 04-19-2006, 09:59 PM
Racer

I noticed in the Helm manual that the metal stiffeners for the wiper blade inserts need to be installed in a very specific way relative to their "bow". I'm wondering if this could cause the wiper blade problems that have been discussed here if they are not installed properly.
Old 04-23-2006, 12:18 PM
Acura Cert MASTER TECH

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2167

That post deals with the complaints of the wiper sprayers as well. I posted a fix in there, and I'll just repaste it here too for all to read or try out.

I've had a handful of complaints from RL owners at work about this. Specifically that at highway speeds, the sprayers don't spray up high enough.

My solution for this, which has worked everytime (I've done this to 5 RL's now), is to angle each sprayer at about a 45 degree angle, and aim them slighty upwards. This can be done very easily with a small flathead screwdriver.

Start first with the car not moving, and adjust them so that they give a decent spray pattern and area with the car not moving. Then go ahead and drive it out on the highway (I usually do about 60 mph) and spray. If you feel safe enough, pull off and adjust accordingly depending on how your results went during the spray while driving. Otherwise find a safe spot and do the above. Then retest.

On my first attempt at this, it took me three tries to get it right. But now I'm to the point where I can adjust them at the shop, and when I go out and test them, they are fine. It's the best of both worlds. You'll still retain good spray pattern at a stop or low speeds, but still spray well too when driving at highway speeds.

Hope this helps anyone who is still unhappy with their sprayers.

-- Kevin
Old 04-25-2006, 02:37 AM
Instructor

I just thought I'd also suggest AquaPel or Rain-X if you're not using it. It makes a huge difference to me, especially at highway speeds. I used Rain-X for the last 13 years or so, but switched for the last two years to a product called AquaPel, made by PPG. This is a longer-lasting (but more expensive) coating for your windows. This comes standard on the front glass of Lexus vehicles when purchased new. Usually it's sold for around $30 an application by "professionals" but I've bought it on eBay before, for about $5 an application (it lasts about 6-8 months per app.) I had a 24-case delivered to me for about $112 with shipping included.

Randy

http://www.ppg.com/gls_aquapel/