Windshield Crack

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 04:56 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Windshield Crack

Anyone had any issues with stress cracks in the RL windshield? I got in my 05 this am (it's been in teens here for a week) and noticed a 4" crack starting in the lower driver side corner. When I went out to lunch the crack had expanded and it's now over a foot long.
Dealer said bring it in and they will "assess" if it's a stress crack or from impact.
Just wondering if anyone else has seen this.
Old 02-19-2007, 08:30 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Nope.
Old 02-19-2007, 08:49 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Negatory.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:58 PM
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
Nada
Old 02-20-2007, 11:29 AM
Racer X

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I just replaced the windshield on my 2006 RL about 1 week ago. . .

I heard a small popping noise and over the course of about 30 minutes watched a crack spread from the passenger side edge to about a third of the way across. My service advisor looked at it to determine if there was a stress issue. . . .upon examination, there was a 1-2 mm impact at the very lateral edge. He said that would invalidate any claim of stress induced fracturing.

The Acura windshield cost over $800 and to top it off, I ended up to 2 new tiny impacts on the windshield on the way home from picking up the car after the windshield was replaced. . . . I always avoid driving behind trucks and don't draft or tailgate. .
Old 02-20-2007, 06:29 PM
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
same thing happen to m..

to me i now have a long crack going lower pass going toward driver. i have to call acura of avon to see if they will do the job. i am afraid to have anybody else touch my baby. but it sucks big time!!
Old 03-03-2007, 08:27 PM
9th Gear

Update to Windshield Crack

Took it to my dealer. They examined by running a pen along the crack. If they don't feel any bumps or indentations, they rule out impact. Then they referred the "claim" to Acura.
Two days late they called to tell me they are going to cover under warranty as a stress crack.
Very relieved as I was going to have to cough up $500 for my deductible if I needed to put in an insurance claim.
Thanks for your responses.
Old 03-04-2007, 05:50 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Good resolution!

I haven't had the issue and we just finished going through a periord where it was below freezing for over a month. I fear impact damage, however, and do the best I can to stay away from trucks.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:33 AM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Hope this isn't considered off-topic, but just FYI - many insurance companies have arrangements with glass companies that allow you to get windshields replaced for nothing, regardless of your deductible. Alternatively, lots of auto glass companies actively advertise they will "absorb" your deductible.

Either way, you generally don't have to pay anything out of pocket. Now, if you have elected a huge deductible, you may not get all of it covered. But note that - in a lot of states - the deductible for things like glass breakage is different from the one for collision, so it may not be as high as you think.

I've had State Farm coverage for decades, and I've never paid for a windshield replacement. In fact, the last time I had one replaced I just called the agent and he didn't even want to look at it - just said go get it replaced (which was good, since it was a leased BMW 740i, and the anal lease-end inspector found a little tiny "star" that he said made replacement necessary). Didn't cost me a dime.

My agent has told me that State Farm "allows" you one glass replacement a year before they get tense, and if you have been with them for awhile with a good record, they don't give it a second thought. Other big insurers are pretty much the same.

FWIW.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:57 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's the way it is in Florida. Windshields are replaced at no cost regardless...

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
Hope this isn't considered off-topic, but just FYI - many insurance companies have arrangements with glass companies that allow you to get windshields replaced for nothing, regardless of your deductible. Alternatively, lots of auto glass companies actively advertise they will "absorb" your deductible.

Either way, you generally don't have to pay anything out of pocket. Now, if you have elected a huge deductible, you may not get all of it covered. But note that - in a lot of states - the deductible for things like glass breakage is different from the one for collision, so it may not be as high as you think.

I've had State Farm coverage for decades, and I've never paid for a windshield replacement. In fact, the last time I had one replaced I just called the agent and he didn't even want to look at it - just said go get it replaced (which was good, since it was a leased BMW 740i, and the anal lease-end inspector found a little tiny "star" that he said made replacement necessary). Didn't cost me a dime.

My agent has told me that State Farm "allows" you one glass replacement a year before they get tense, and if you have been with them for awhile with a good record, they don't give it a second thought. Other big insurers are pretty much the same.

FWIW.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:44 PM
Moto Enthusiast

I've got an '05 RL and the windshield has held up fine so far. This is despite the 2 or 3 rock chips I get every ski season when I take the car up the mountain. If the chip is smaller than the size of the dime, most insurance companies will pay for it outright as it's cheaper than replacing the entire windshield. But the 4" crack (now expanded to a foot?) you have is like a canyon when it comes to cracks. Good luck, hopefully the dealership replaces it for you, but I'm thinking they'll say it's on you and you'll have to go the deductible route.