Window Tinting places in NoVA/DC area? Got quote...

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 10:11 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Window Tinting places in NoVA/DC area? Got quote...

I am looking to get my windows tinted on my RL. Since it has navigation, they can only use ceramic-based tint.

I went to this place years ago: California Tint. They did a great job and after 9 years, no bubbling at all.

I was quoted by them recently $280. That is more than the $160 I paid in the days...

But i wanted to check w/ fellow DC/Northern VA folks if they found something cheaper and good quality.

Thanks in advance!

Also, which Acura dealer has the lowest labor rates for installing parts? I've been quoted $99 at Radley Falls Church.
Old 12-07-2006, 12:44 PM
06 RL - Carbon Gray Pearl

I got mine done at LA Tint of Manassas. They have several branches in the VA area. They are not the cheapest but I like their workmanship and the film (FormulaOne Pinnacle Series) they use. I got my TL done there too. They charge around $300. If you like to ckeck it out, look for Bee. He is the manager and does the work himself.

Another place for a lower price is Winners Window Tinting in Rockville, MD. Chas2 told me about this place yesterday. I got a quote of $189. They use Solar Guard film. I have no experience with this shop but I spoke with Lawrence (owner/installer) and he sounds very knowledgeble and helpful.

Good luck!
Old 12-07-2006, 08:17 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FromTLtoRL
I got mine done at LA Tint of Manassas. They have several branches in the VA area. They are not the cheapest but I like their workmanship and the film (FormulaOne Pinnacle Series) they use. I got my TL done there too. They charge around $300. If you like to ckeck it out, look for Bee. He is the manager and does the work himself.

Another place for a lower price is Winners Window Tinting in Rockville, MD. Chas2 told me about this place yesterday. I got a quote of $189. They use Solar Guard film. I have no experience with this shop but I spoke with Lawrence (owner/installer) and he sounds very knowledgeble and helpful.

Good luck!
I was looking at getting the FormulaOne tint at LA Tint (Manasas). However, I was going to get the "Classic" series, which I had in my previous car and was satisfied with that series for the $$. I did an online quote for the RL and it came out to $149.00. I know it's not the best of the best, but the Classic series did what it was suppose to for almost 7 years in my last car.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:09 PM

vluu - if you are going to the Manassas shop, look for either Bee or Chris at LA Tint. Actually, one of those guys is always there. Like I said, I like their work. They've done a lot of our friend's cars and not one has ever complained. Post some pics once you have it installed.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:36 PM
Cruisin'

So, is the Classic series okay for the Navigation system? I just want to see if it's ceramic based.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:41 PM

The Classic Series

This series is an exceptional value with the latest in dyed film technology. Its unique design gives the greatest color longevity of any non-metal film offering a no color change warranty. Special dye formulations give you a soft charcoal look in a variety of light transmissions (light, medium and dark shades).

Unlike many other dyed films, the Classic Series special coloration allows you to accent the look of your vehicle, not change it. Like all the FormulaOne product series, Classic is simply at the head of its class., affording you the best protection achievable in a non-metal film.

The Pinnacle Series

The unique technology utilized to produce the Pinnacle Series of films makes it the most state-of-the-art automotive film today. With the advanced electronic systems in today's vehicles, it is imperative that a window film allow optimum performance at all frequencies. The advanced technology utilized in manufacturing the Pinnacle Series provides a proprietary non-metallized, non-conductive, ceramic technology film with maximum heat reduction, maximum ultraviolet rejection, excellent optical clarity and blockage of infrared rays.

For more information...

http://www.formulaone.com/
Old 12-08-2006, 10:08 AM
Cruisin'

OK, I called LA Tint, and they can do the regular dye film for $169 or the Pinnacle Film for $329.

Both will not interfere w the navi....he did say that the $169 one will fade over time.

I plan to keep my ride for quite sometime....

FROMTLTORL, what do you recommend? What did you end up going with?
Old 12-08-2006, 10:32 AM

Mtam08 -

I went with the Pinnacle series. Like you, I plan to keep this car for awhile. Will the Classic Series fade over time, I'm not so sure but I did NOT want to risk it. Maybe you can check with FormulaOne and ask about the Classic film. I got a 10% discount on the RL and that is because they worked on my TL too. Maybe you can mention to them that someone referred you there and hopefully they can extend you the discount.

If I was putting new tint on my 1994 Honda Accord, I would go with the Classic but the RL is so new and I certainly did not want the hassle of re-tinting down the road.
Old 12-08-2006, 09:05 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FromTLtoRL
Mtam08 -

I went with the Pinnacle series. Like you, I plan to keep this car for awhile. Will the Classic Series fade over time, I'm not so sure but I did NOT want to risk it. Maybe you can check with FormulaOne and ask about the Classic film. I got a 10% discount on the RL and that is because they worked on my TL too. Maybe you can mention to them that someone referred you there and hopefully they can extend you the discount.

If I was putting new tint on my 1994 Honda Accord, I would go with the Classic but the RL is so new and I certainly did not want the hassle of re-tinting down the road.

If you look on the LA Tint Website, they say the "Classic" tint will/may fade over time, but on the FormulaOne website, they say it will not fade? If the FormulaOne website states it won't fade, then I would think it's true? Not sure why LA Tint would not state what the FormulaOne website states?
Old 12-09-2006, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by vluu
If you look on the LA Tint Website, they say the "Classic" tint will/may fade over time, but on the FormulaOne website, they say it will not fade? If the FormulaOne website states it won't fade, then I would think it's true? Not sure why LA Tint would not state what the FormulaOne website states?
Maybe they want to make more money by offering the Pinnacle series to everyone...

The other thing to think about is the "ceramic" type film in the Pinnacle series. According to them it is designed to NOT interfere with the electronics, etc. Any truth to that? I'm not so sure...

So again, I just did not want to risk anything on the RL....my baby
I live in MD and I can't afford to make multiple trips to...of all places... Manassas.