"Wind" noise - possible solution

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006 | 12:58 PM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by kmcheney
Well, I also went out and checked my 06 RL last night in the garage. No grommet in any of the 4 squarish tie down holes. I notice that others are reporting the same thing. Did Acura stop doing this for 06 or are all of these dealers just lazy/sloppy as can be?
I'm beginning to wonder, too. I called my dealer's service dep't. today and the advisor didn't have a clue what I was talking about. Told him I have a copy of the TQI Bulletin that references them and I'll stop by tomorrow and show it to him.

I kinda figure the make-ready guys are just chucking the little bags of grommets rather than putting them on the cars.
Old 10-16-2006 | 01:44 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Can someone post pictures of where the grommets are supposed to be?
Old 10-16-2006 | 02:18 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by GoHawks
Can someone post pictures of where the grommets are supposed to be?
Post 15 of this thread shows that:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...SB04-028_3.jpg
Old 10-16-2006 | 03:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Went in today, they lifted the car and put those 4 pieces in. Didn't really notice any difference though coming back, but I'm glad they are in.
Old 10-16-2006 | 03:31 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Originally Posted by lsbuffs
Thank you!
Old 10-17-2006 | 01:01 PM
AcurAdmirer

Got mine today

Well, I got my grommets today. The dealer's service guys didn't seem to have a clue what I was talking about, but thanks to this forum I was able to produce a printed copy of Acura Service Bulletin 04-028 describing the whole thing.

Spent longer at the dealer than I should have, but at least I got free wash job out of it. Thanks again to AZ for bringing this to my attention.
Old 10-17-2006 | 02:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Yeah my tech spent 15 mins doing a job that should have taken 2 mins.

Btw Mike your pm box is full =P
Old 10-17-2006 | 03:48 PM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by Touge
Yeah my tech spent 15 mins doing a job that should have taken 2 mins.

Btw Mike your pm box is full =P
Thanks, Touge - just cleaned it out.
Old 10-17-2006 | 05:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Ignorance was bliss.....

Originally Posted by lsbuffs
So now I'm going to have to crawl around under my car and see if the grommets are missing. It's everything I can do not to leave my desk and go look right now. Grrrrrr.....

I'm about to go on a longish trip to that big city in Nevada where you can play cards and such for money, which will be my first real freeway voyage in the RL. I don't want any mysterious wind noise on my first road trip.

My local dealer isn't the one that my RL came from (it came via a broker/buyer at my Credit Union), so it could be a little awkward asking for them to replace the grommets if they're missing.

Rob144
Old 10-17-2006 | 07:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Well, the two rear grommets are in place, and I can't see the place where the front ones go, so I'm going to trust that they're all there.

I found a new feature that I'll also post elsewhere -- if you press and hold the CH+/- button on the steering wheel while playing a CD, the disc will change.

Rob144
Old 10-19-2006 | 04:09 PM
Retired and Loving It

Got Grommets

I just read this thread. I went out and check the 05 RL. All four are in place. I'll check the 06 TL when my wife gets home.
Old 10-19-2006 | 04:56 PM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by Ernie Golfs
I just read this thread. I went out and check the 05 RL. All four are in place. I'll check the 06 TL when my wife gets home.
Interesting you mention the TL. I too have an '06 TL, and there are 2 tiedown holes in the rear of the TL that look like the RL's. On my TL, the holes were NOT plugged.

In the front, there are similar (although smaller) holes, but they appear to be plugged on mine.

I'll be interested in hearing what you find in the TL.
Old 10-19-2006 | 07:15 PM
Retired and Loving It

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
Interesting you mention the TL. I too have an '06 TL, and there are 2 tiedown holes in the rear of the TL that look like the RL's. On my TL, the holes were NOT plugged.

In the front, there are similar (although smaller) holes, but they appear to be plugged on mine.

I'll be interested in hearing what you find in the TL.
I checked the TL and there are no grommets installed at all. Called my dealership and spoke to a new service manager. He said to bring the car in and they would write up a service order on it. Told me the grommets would have to be ordered. They will install them when I bring my TL in for it's first oil change. Thanks for the information in this thread guys. Your information has helped me find and resolve two problems with my Acuras.
Old 10-23-2006 | 10:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by lindros2
I have the same issue - originally thought it might be due to tint but that's not the case. Almost sounds like something thin flapping inside of the door frame.
I just completed a 2-day 600 mile road trip, and heard this exact sound whenever I got around 80 mph. It sounds like a rustling sound, almost as if there's a loose leaf fluttering. It seems to be coming from inside the driver's side door, but it is hard to pinpoint the source.

Has anyone diagnosed or resolved this one?

Rob144
Old 10-23-2006 | 10:57 PM
Pro

I have the exact friggin problem. They never could find it; and yes the grommets are installed.
I went through this in March.
No satisifaction... still
Old 10-24-2006 | 07:55 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rob144
I just completed a 2-day 600 mile road trip, and heard this exact sound whenever I got around 80 mph. It sounds like a rustling sound, almost as if there's a loose leaf fluttering. It seems to be coming from inside the driver's side door, but it is hard to pinpoint the source.

Has anyone diagnosed or resolved this one?

Rob144
Same issue here. It has to be either the door handle or the door seal. I did notice the other day when I had the window open about 1/3 of the way while driving around town that there was some noise there too, like the window or the seal around the window was moving around. I also get a slight vibrating noise from the window at times when it's closed. I'm taking it in Saturday for an oil/differential fluid change and will ask them to take a look at it.
Old 10-24-2006 | 07:57 AM
Pro

And YES, I have that as well.
Old 10-24-2006 | 10:59 PM
5th Gear

I have the same noise. When I first got the car there was a small piece of clear plastic sticking out between the door panel and the door. I removed it but the "fluttering" noise is still there at speed. I am wondering if some of the protective plastic gets stuck inside the door when the dealer removes the plastic during prep. Has anyone actually removed the panel and looked inside?
Old 10-25-2006 | 02:05 PM
Instructor

I just had the grommets put in at my dealership. They said they don't usually put them in because when they're in place water can't drain and the frame will rust out from the inside. Sounds highly suspicious.
Old 10-25-2006 | 02:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ry4an
I just had the grommets put in at my dealership. They said they don't usually put them in because when they're in place water can't drain and the frame will rust out from the inside. Sounds highly suspicious.
Sounds dubious. There are other round holes close to the oval grommet holes where water could drain. Typical dealer BS.
Old 10-25-2006 | 03:01 PM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by dwboston
Sounds dubious. There are other round holes close to the oval grommet holes where water could drain. Typical dealer BS.
And unless I'm mistaken (correct me if I am), the tiedown holes are in aluminum parts, so rust isn't an issue. I recall them being in silvery-colored metal parts when last I was under there.
Old 10-25-2006 | 08:58 PM
Pro

the grommets are supposed to be installed as per the PDI Acura says.
The specific reason is- if not a hard to diagnose wind noise can occur.
Old 11-06-2006 | 07:45 AM
Burning Brakes

Question on Rubber Door Seal - 2005 RL

While examining the rubber door seal to see if there were any imperfections that could be causing the driver door wind noise I noticed something odd about the rubber seal that runs along the bottom horizontal surface of the door. The seal on that part of the door appears to be attached in spots with noticeable gaps in between, whereas the seal around the rest of the door is attached everywhere. This appears to be the way the seal was installed at the factory. Is this normal? Is this the same for the 2006 RL's as well? Thanks.
Old 11-06-2006 | 08:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dwboston
While examining the rubber door seal to see if there were any imperfections that could be causing the driver door wind noise I noticed something odd about the rubber seal that runs along the bottom horizontal surface of the door. The seal on that part of the door appears to be attached in spots with noticeable gaps in between, whereas the seal around the rest of the door is attached everywhere. This appears to be the way the seal was installed at the factory. Is this normal? Is this the same for the 2006 RL's as well? Thanks.
Interesting observation. I found that if you wiggle this loose weatherstripping, it almost sounds like it could be the source of the high-speed fluttering sound. I just don't see how it would wiggle around with door closed (and the weatherstripping pressed in) and where there could a path for air to get in and wiggle around.

Rob144
Old 03-10-2007 | 12:26 AM
2nd Gear

Can someone post a picture of the grommet installed?

Also, the TSB refers to '05 RLs, but it seems that it would also apply to '06's. Can someone confirm their '06 should have the grommets?

Thanks.
Old 03-10-2007 | 11:05 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
And unless I'm mistaken (correct me if I am), the tiedown holes are in aluminum parts, so rust isn't an issue. I recall them being in silvery-colored metal parts when last I was under there.
incorrect, aluminum does rust. Its not rust in the conventional sense, but exposed aluminum turns blackish, and its a form of oxidation.
The aluminum weakens and deteriorates.
Old 03-10-2007 | 03:27 PM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by sotiri
incorrect, aluminum does rust. Its not rust in the conventional sense, but exposed aluminum turns blackish, and its a form of oxidation.
The aluminum weakens and deteriorates.
Well, Sotiri, I must disagree.

In the first place, I said it doesn't rust, and that is correct. Rust refers to iron and steel oxidation.

And while aluminum does oxidize, it doesn't deteriorate from it ... quite the contrary. See this link (which is representative): Aluminum doesn't rust
Old 03-10-2007 | 10:48 PM
Pro

oxidized aluminum cant be painted or altered.
It cant be welded either. So, to make a change to oxidized aluminum, you must remove the oxidation, which is to remove aluminum, that thins the aluminum, and that weakens the aluminum's strength.
In the matter of the grommets, its not important.
But as the body is, its important to know.
Old 03-11-2007 | 02:45 PM
Intermediate

Grommets for 2006?

Originally Posted by sotiri
the grommets are supposed to be installed as per the PDI Acura says.
The specific reason is- if not a hard to diagnose wind noise can occur.
Did anyone ever nail down a TSB applicable to the 2006...or even find the plugs in(or within) their car on delivery?

2006 RL White @ San Antonio
Old 03-12-2007 | 12:02 AM
Burning Brakes

The plugs are all installed on my RL, and I have the "fluttering" noise. There probably wouldn't be a TSB -- they are supposed to install the plugs as part of dealer prep.

I still can't pinpoint it, and have been reluctant to complain to the dealer about it. It sounds like something fluttering inside the door panel, but I can't see any path for wind to get in there and cause something to wiggle about.

I've tried folding in the side-view mirror on the thought that is just turbulent air, but that didn't change anything. There must be some path for air, or some pressure differential that is responsible.

It's a mystery.

Rob144
Old 03-12-2007 | 06:36 AM
Safety Car

Rob144,
I have this fluttering noise with my RSX-S. Dealer has heard it but has yet to be able to find the cause. Sounds like the plastic liner/moisture barrier inside the door is flapping.
Old 03-12-2007 | 04:50 PM
Racer

I have the flutter on my 2006 also. Sounds like leaves in the door but I know there aren't any. Anyone think it could be the flush B-pillar? It's a unique design so it's possible.
Old 03-13-2007 | 10:09 AM
Advanced

wind noise

YUP!!! comes and goes with speed, usually kicks in around 75-80mph I believe. Sick of it. After over a year I've given up hope of a solution. The Dealer. of course, is clueless about this. \

Also have a maddening rattling noise from under dash (maybe?) that won't go away.
Old 03-15-2007 | 06:08 AM
Instructor

Well, I bought my RL because I wanted a QUIET car. So guess what?

No grommets in my just delivered 2007 RL

Contacting dealer now.
Old 03-15-2007 | 06:22 AM
Advanced

Can someone possibly post a photograph of where we are supposed to look for these grommets? Or at least a better description of where there are (i.e. x inches from rear wheel or something like that)? Thanks.
Old 03-15-2007 | 07:20 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by bluemule
Well, shortly making the above post and before cranking up, I found a piece of plastic to lie on, a mirror and flashlight, and found the locations for the grommets...none were installed. So, I installed the ones that I found in the trunk in June.

Unless I discover differently later when some of my head stuffiness clears up, I believe that the wind rustling noise I've been hearing since June, 2005, coming from the left side of the car has been virtually eliminated...I may have heard a slight rustling type wind noise like I'm accustomed to hearing at around 85mph but it was barely noticeable and not sustained.

What I do notice now is a slight wind noise coming from the rear window behind my head, which I'm consider to be normal.

Immediately adjoining the grommet positions at each of the rear wheel locations, are two (2) small round holes...mine have nothing in them. Now I'm wondering whether these should also be plugged.

I installed the grommets dry and checked them again tonight and adjusted them slightly so that they all look to be firmly in and the sealing lip is located ok. A better approach might be to clean the openings with a cloth and put lubricant on the plugs so that they install easier...I had to force them in this morning...I was in a hurry to get to work and didn't want to mess with any wd40 or the like.

Maybe y'all should consider all those other little holes in the same frame assembly as the culprit in the wind noise. I simply haven't had time to find something to plug mine up. Plugging the big holes sure made a difference...maybe plugging all those little holes might eliminate the problem. Also, someone has posted about the looseness of the door gasket along the bottom of the door...it's a possible source also.
Old 03-31-2007 | 02:37 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by JonFo
Well, I bought my RL because I wanted a QUIET car. So guess what?

No grommets in my just delivered 2007 RL

Contacting dealer now.
Finally got a chance to drop by and have the Grommets installed. Took all of five minutes.
Once again, had to explain what I wanted and show them the printout of the bulletin linked earlier in the thread. Of course, they just reached into the stash of unused grommets they had lying around and popped four in.

Let me tell you, I makes a noticeable difference.

Before the grommets, we drove 170 miles of highway and high-speed secondary roads. Depending on road surface, the noise levels were high.

After the grommets, drove another hour (over 58 miles) on much of the same highways and secondary roads. Noticeably less noise. I mean, really, dealers should install these things if Acura wants to compete with Lexus on quiet.

However, started to notice a type of flutter / rattle at 70Mph behind the dash…

Guess it was there, but masked by the other noises at that speed. Now we’ll have to chase that down.

Bottom line: If you drive at 60Mph and over for a substantial percentage of your commute or travels, check for these and make an appointment if you don’t have them. You’ll be glad you did.
Old 04-01-2007 | 02:26 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by JonFo
Finally got a chance to drop by and have the Grommets installed. Took all of five minutes.
Once again, had to explain what I wanted and show them the printout of the bulletin linked earlier in the thread. Of course, they just reached into the stash of unused grommets they had lying around and popped four in.

Let me tell you, I makes a noticeable difference.

Before the grommets, we drove 170 miles of highway and high-speed secondary roads. Depending on road surface, the noise levels were high.

After the grommets, drove another hour (over 58 miles) on much of the same highways and secondary roads. Noticeably less noise. I mean, really, dealers should install these things if Acura wants to compete with Lexus on quiet.

However, started to notice a type of flutter / rattle at 70Mph behind the dash…

Guess it was there, but masked by the other noises at that speed. Now we’ll have to chase that down.

Bottom line: If you drive at 60Mph and over for a substantial percentage of your commute or travels, check for these and make an appointment if you don’t have them. You’ll be glad you did.

Hey Jonfo... I had the same flutter/rattle... I finally tracked it down to a small square plastic cap on the underside of the drivers rear view mirror. Take a piece of masking tape... put it over this piece..and see if that's it. If it is, it's an easy fix. Pop it out...put a little silicone caulk around the edge. Let it harden..then pop it back in. Mines been great ever since.
Old 04-01-2007 | 04:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NavyDoc333
Hey Jonfo... I had the same flutter/rattle... I finally tracked it down to a small square plastic cap on the underside of the drivers rear view mirror. Take a piece of masking tape... put it over this piece..and see if that's it. If it is, it's an easy fix. Pop it out...put a little silicone caulk around the edge. Let it harden..then pop it back in. Mines been great ever since.
I have the same flutter, and checked out that under-mirror piece. Mine has a sticker marked "A0" on it. It was a little bit loose, so I gently and carefully popped it off. Rather than using caulk, I gently spread the clips outward so they would have a better hold. I also put a small piece of felt into the space where the wire bundle goes from the mirror into the door.

Next time I'm on the freeway (pretty few and far between these days), I'll give a listen. Pehaps the loose piece and the hole where the wire went in provided enough of a pressure differential to cause something to flutter. Or just the piece itself was loose.

Thanks for the tip!

Rob144
Old 04-15-2007 | 06:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Well, I finally got to drive on the highway and listen for the noise and......it's still there. So, stuffing the felt into the mirror and tightening the plastic panel didn't make a difference.

Any other ideas out there?

Rob144

Quick Reply: "Wind" noise - possible solution