"Wind" noise - possible solution

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 09:57 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Wind" noise - possible solution

From the start, I noticed a low pitch, wind-like noise that did not seem to be related to the tires or drivertrain (see corresponding post). I took the RL in for a number of issues (wheel alignment, apply 3 "campaigns") and spoke to the knowledgeable technician about the noise. I showed him a copy of the TQI Service Bulletin that describes a potential wind noise issue if the shipping tie-down holes are not properly filled with supplied grommets. Frankly, he was surprised that I had the document.

Later that afternoon, he called back and reported that 3 of the grommets were in fact missing. When I picked up the car, I noticed a difference - the noise I had been hearing was gone. WOOHOO!

Hope this information proves helpful.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:36 AM
Intermediate

stupid question, but where do I get the TQI service bulletins?
Old 04-04-2006, 11:38 AM
Advanced

Check the "Known Problems" thread.
A number of links to documents are listed there.
Old 04-04-2006, 12:35 PM
Cruisin'

I think unrelated to this wind noise problem.. but I have a pretty loud (maybe my ears are sensitive) wind noise near my head .. i think coming from the driver door area again right behind my head. Most noticiable when I'm around 60mph.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Thanks
Old 04-04-2006, 12:47 PM
10th Gear

I've noticed it too

I too have noticed wind noise right by my head- apparently coming from the upper part of the door or window on the dirver's side- most noticable when the car exceeds 75 mph (which may make it difficult for the dealer to diagnose)...

it'd be great if someone found a solution to this! John
Old 04-04-2006, 02:02 PM
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
yep me tooooooo! and I thought it was because the car was too damn quiet!
Old 04-04-2006, 04:19 PM
Intermediate

Mine also comes from the driver side window, I did not detect any air coming in, tried real hard to pinpoint the location but could not, and thought that possible the driverside door handle might be the culprit
Old 04-04-2006, 06:29 PM
Black

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
I have the same issue - originally thought it might be due to tint but that's not the case. Almost sounds like something thin flapping inside of the door frame.
Old 04-04-2006, 06:44 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by jsclarke
I too have noticed wind noise right by my head- apparently coming from the upper part of the door or window on the dirver's side- most noticable when the car exceeds 75 mph (which may make it difficult for the dealer to diagnose)...

it'd be great if someone found a solution to this! John
In my car it sounds like some kind of wind leak, possibly around the door seals, but I've been guessing about this for several months...definitely gets more noticeable at higher speeds. Several months ago, someone posted about a "rattle" in that area, and I've assumed that they were hearing what I've been hearing from the very day I first took the car home...after that post, nothing else was said about it until you guys posted.

I've been thinking about enlisting the aid of someone with better hearing than I have to ride in the back seat to see if they can locate the source and further to determine whether it is present on the passenger side as well. Griot's sells an "improved automotive stethoscope"...been thinking about adding that to my next order for my permanent RL tool kit.
Old 04-04-2006, 06:46 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by jkanon
thought that possible the driverside door handle might be the culprit
I've noticed that with the sunroof in vent position, that a lot of outside air enters the cabin from the door handles.
Old 04-04-2006, 06:50 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by JMikeF
From the start, I noticed a low pitch, wind-like noise that did not seem to be related to the tires or drivertrain (see corresponding post). I took the RL in for a number of issues (wheel alignment, apply 3 "campaigns") and spoke to the knowledgeable technician about the noise. I showed him a copy of the TQI Service Bulletin that describes a potential wind noise issue if the shipping tie-down holes are not properly filled with supplied grommets. Frankly, he was surprised that I had the document.

Later that afternoon, he called back and reported that 3 of the grommets were in fact missing. When I picked up the car, I noticed a difference - the noise I had been hearing was gone. WOOHOO!

Hope this information proves helpful.
Where are those grommets located? Are they something I can check for myself?
Old 04-04-2006, 06:55 PM
Cruisin'

Wow sounds like common problem at least.. Just to clarifiy is the the original wind noise / grommit fix related to the wind noise by driver door is that something else?
Old 04-04-2006, 06:55 PM
Pro

please tell... and the tsb # if any
Old 04-04-2006, 07:13 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by bluemule
Where are those grommets located? Are they something I can check for myself?
I have 4 rubber grommets that I found in the car...they've been in a closet...these are rubber squares with rounded corners, about 1 inch by 1.5 inches. I've had them stored with the front tag holder, which I think I removed myself. In that plastic bag, there is a pink "packing list" which among various screws, etc., lists 4 q'ty "grommet tie downs."

I've wondered what these were for...can anyone elaborate where these go?

Fred
Old 04-04-2006, 08:53 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sotiri
please tell... and the tsb # if any
It is in a link from the the "Known Problems and Quirks" sticky thread.
A number of links to documents are listed including the following which shows the location of the grommets.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...SB04-028_3.jpg
Old 04-05-2006, 07:00 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by dadcat1
A number of links to documents are listed including the following which shows the location of the grommets.
Thanks very much for posting that link. I thought I'd downloaded all the pdf's relating to my RL, but for some reason, that one is missing.

Later today or tomorrow, I'll inspect those locations. All I know at the moment is that I've got 4 new grommets sitting on my desk...but that doesn't mean that grommets are not installed on the RL.
Old 04-05-2006, 09:00 PM
Racer

update on tie down grommets

Thanks very much for posting that link. I thought I'd downloaded all the pdf's relating to my RL, but for some reason, that one is missing.

Later today or tomorrow, I'll inspect those locations. All I know at the moment is that I've got 4 new grommets sitting on my desk...but that doesn't mean that grommets are not installed on the RL.
Well, shortly making the above post and before cranking up, I found a piece of plastic to lie on, a mirror and flashlight, and found the locations for the grommets...none were installed. So, I installed the ones that I found in the trunk in June.

Unless I discover differently later when some of my head stuffiness clears up, I believe that the wind rustling noise I've been hearing since June, 2005, coming from the left side of the car has been virtually eliminated...I may have heard a slight rustling type wind noise like I'm accustomed to hearing at around 85mph but it was barely noticeable and not sustained.

What I do notice now is a slight wind noise coming from the rear window behind my head, which I'm consider to be normal.

Immediately adjoining the grommet positions at each of the rear wheel locations, are two (2) small round holes...mine have nothing in them. Now I'm wondering whether these should also be plugged.

I installed the grommets dry and checked them again tonight and adjusted them slightly so that they all look to be firmly in and the sealing lip is located ok. A better approach might be to clean the openings with a cloth and put lubricant on the plugs so that they install easier...I had to force them in this morning...I was in a hurry to get to work and didn't want to mess with any wd40 or the like.
Old 04-05-2006, 10:02 PM
Racer

I'm not doing something right. I can't find a link to download Service Bulletin 04-028 TQI. What I get from the link is only the first page. I use Firefox and IE interchangeably, and may have tightened up security on these to the point that everything isn't loading properly. I got the .pdf's from the TL forums, but can't figure out how to download any of the Service Bulletins from the RL site.
Old 04-06-2006, 12:34 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not doing something right. I can't find a link to download Service Bulletin 04-028 TQI. What I get from the link is only the first page. I use Firefox and IE interchangeably, and may have tightened up security on these to the point that everything isn't loading properly. I got the .pdf's from the TL forums, but can't figure out how to download any of the Service Bulletins from the RL site.
Do a Google search for "TSB 04-028: TQI and New Model Information" and you should find a link to the full TSB in PDF form.
Old 04-06-2006, 08:18 PM
Racer

Do a Google search for "TSB 04-028: TQI and New Model Information" and you should find a link to the full TSB in PDF form.
Thanks. That worked.
Old 04-07-2006, 07:55 AM
office monkey

Hmm, weird. I do not have this but sucks to hear some of you do.

JMikeF,

totally unreleated but are you the the J.Mike dude who posts at AVS Forum?
Old 04-07-2006, 12:41 PM
10th Gear

I installed these on our RL we got last week (none of the 4 were installed)... and it appears (knock on wood) that the noise is completely gone. Additional high speed driving will confirm this- but I recommend everyone check that these are there and install if not. The dealer just handed 4 tie down gromets to me- and using the s.o.'s lighted vanity mirror on the floor under the car- it took 5 minutes to install these. Now, a normally very quiet car, is even quieter. John
Old 04-07-2006, 02:02 PM
Advanced

Can anybody post a picture of their installed grommet? What does the grommet look like? I just looked underneath the car, and if what I think it is, the grommet is a black rubbery kind. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-07-2006, 04:13 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by rollinm
I think unrelated to this wind noise problem.. but I have a pretty loud (maybe my ears are sensitive) wind noise near my head .. i think coming from the driver door area again right behind my head. Most noticiable when I'm around 60mph.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Thanks
Oh yes. When I test drove the car I mentioned it and had them try to isolate before I took delivery to no avail - they suggested it was the window sticker I was hearing...
Old 04-07-2006, 09:19 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Rob L
Hmm, weird. I do not have this but sucks to hear some of you do.

JMikeF,

totally unreleated but are you the the J.Mike dude who posts at AVS Forum?
Ah, my reputation precedes me.
Old 04-22-2006, 12:08 PM
7th Gear

Hey guys...I too have a wind noise near the driver's door. I just thought it was me...after all it seems I'm the only one the dealer knows that has rattles or noise complaints. Now after reading this forum...I don't think I'm CRAZY but part of the RL majority.
Here's hoping my service advisor realizes it may be me writing in and his cover has been blown.
Old 04-22-2006, 12:52 PM
Cruisin'

I have service on may 15th and I'll bring up the wind noise from the driver door then. If anyone has made any progress in this area pass it on.

Thanks
Old 04-25-2006, 12:23 PM
Cruisin'

I checked my car yesterday and found one grommet missing. It's hard to explain why the dealer installed only three. But I also found there are two round holes (about the same size as the grommets') adjoining the grommet positions at each of the front wheel locations. That setup is different from the image shown in the service bulletin. But I believe those holes should also be filled.
Old 04-25-2006, 07:08 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by autofill
I checked my car yesterday and found one grommet missing. It's hard to explain why the dealer installed only three. But I also found there are two round holes (about the same size as the grommets') adjoining the grommet positions at each of the front wheel locations. That setup is different from the image shown in the service bulletin. But I believe those holes should also be filled.
Yeah, I've also got those empty round holes and mentioned them previously. BTW, a sort of update, after installing all four of my grommets, which did eliminate most of the noise, I'm still hearing that particular wind noise at higher speeds...90 to 95.
Old 04-26-2006, 06:05 AM
Advanced

Yeah, I've also got those empty round holes and mentioned them previously. BTW, a sort of update, after installing all four of my grommets, which did eliminate most of the noise, I'm still hearing that particular wind noise at higher speeds...90 to 95.
Ummm - where is the speed limit 95???
Old 04-26-2006, 07:40 AM
Pro

Montana.
Old 04-26-2006, 08:29 PM
Racer

Actually, I was in an adjoining State, leaving a Southern City, on a major interstate, and was merely "keeping up with" the traffic...it was about 3:00p.m. on a weekday. Those people were flying in formation...and some of them were even on their cell phones! Yikes.

Over the past few years, traffic speeds have been increasing around that particular city, and the fact that traffic volume can be dangerously high doesn't seem to bother those folks.
Old 05-17-2006, 12:35 PM
Cruisin'

I have my RL in service for a few items to be looked at. I still dont have it back (going on day 8 now). But on the wind noise by driver door. They claim the rubber door seal was not in the proper position and it was replaced with a new one. I havent confirmed this actually fixes it. I'll write back when I get to test it out again.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:32 PM
Advanced

I have my RL in service for a few items to be looked at. I still dont have it back (going on day 8 now).

Eight days now! What, are they replacing your engine? I'd have a serious talk with the service manager if I were you!
Old 10-15-2006, 12:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
I have my RL in service for a few items to be looked at. I still dont have it back (going on day 8 now). But on the wind noise by driver door. They claim the rubber door seal was not in the proper position and it was replaced with a new one. I havent confirmed this actually fixes it. I'll write back when I get to test it out again.
Figured i would bump this instead of starting a new thread. Did replacing the door seal fix your wind noise problem? I have the same issue (wind noise seemingly coming from the driver side front door handle/window). Jusy for the heck of it I checked to make sure the tie-down grommets are installed and they are. Just wondering if anyone found a solution for this.
Old 10-15-2006, 02:22 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Originally Posted by dwboston
Figured i would bump this instead of starting a new thread. Did replacing the door seal fix your wind noise problem? I have the same issue (wind noise seemingly coming from the driver side front door handle/window). Jusy for the heck of it I checked to make sure the tie-down grommets are installed and they are. Just wondering if anyone found a solution for this.
What great timing - I went out and checked after seeing this, and my '06 doesn't have the grommets installed!

On top of that, the rear tiedown holes on my TL aren't plugged, either.

I'll be calling on my dealer tomorrow!

Thanks, guys.
Old 10-15-2006, 06:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Good thread, I just went out to check mine, no grommets either. I'll be calling up my stealership tomorrow also.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:01 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
No grommets

Well, I also went out and checked my 06 RL last night in the garage. No grommet in any of the 4 squarish tie down holes. I notice that others are reporting the same thing. Did Acura stop doing this for 06 or are all of these dealers just lazy/sloppy as can be?
Old 10-16-2006, 12:12 PM
The Doctor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
what's the purpose of those tie down holes which need gromments?
Old 10-16-2006, 12:55 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Originally Posted by UW RL
what's the purpose of those tie down holes which need gromments?
They're presumably there for the transport people to tie the cars down to the trucks or trains or ships for transport.

Quick Reply: "Wind" noise - possible solution