Will Zaino Overcome?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2005, 04:26 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will Zaino Overcome?

I'm faced with the same potential problem with my Nighthawk Black RL as with my Black Corvette. After application of Wax, Sealer, Glaze or Protectant of any brand, 1-2 weeks of daylight Summer sun results in the need for more applications.
Question: Does anyone have experience with Black Cars and Zaino for longer protection than a couple of weeks before the summer "burn off" ?
Old 07-26-2005, 08:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
While some here may have an answer for you. You will probably get a much better response base in the Wash & Wax section of the forum - located here:
https://acurazine.com/forums/wash-wax-23/
Old 07-27-2005, 11:58 AM
Advanced

Zaino will last alot longer

In my experience, I have found all carnauba-based waxes will go away sooner, especially in high heat, they just cant last.
Zaino on the other hand is an polymer based acrylic polish, its a little more involved to use, but after using the ZPC Fusion cleaner, and then the Z2 polish on my wife's '04 Sage Brush Pearl MDX, I could not believe how much clearer the finish turned, out, you can now really see the different colors of metallic in the paint. Zaino has also proven to last way longer than conventional waxes and give you a very very nice finish. I have tried about everything out there, and now having tried Zaino products, can say its the best ! Just bought an '05 Opulent BLue Pearl RL this Sunday past and will be giving this the Zaino treatment when I get some time. Also have it on my '04 Ford Lightning and the '04 TL, I just traded in for the new RL. All of these vehicles looked way better than anything the Acura dealer had in his showroom. Zaino rocks !! DanF
Old 07-27-2005, 02:39 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
I agree with Dan 100% !

ZAINO RULES ! !!!!!

Ever thought about investing in a car cover ?
Old 07-28-2005, 10:06 AM
Advanced

Thats funny you mentioned car covers

Having lived in California for 35 years, I have always had car covers, most of them from Beverly Hills Motoring, before they went out of business. The last ones I bought were from California Car Cover Company www.calcarcover.com, the Supremeweave cover, a very light and easy to store cover, but so light that it could be a challenge on a big vehicle if its windy - it wants to blow off until you get it on a couple of corners at least.. Before that, I always bought cotton covers, they were heavier, bulkier to store, but easy to install and remove even in wind like we get in Sacramento/Folsom, where I used to live. I looked at the other types, with the several layers, and found them too heavy,stiff and not very tight fitting or line conforming because of their multiple layers. Some peopls swear by the heavier ones, but I just dont like the look or the hassle of maintaining them. The lighter ones are easy to take down to the laundromat and throw in one of those big front loading machines to clean. I would always dry these things out either back on the car on a sunny day or find someplace to hang them outside.
One thing for sure, if you go to all the trouble to install and remove a car cover when the car is outside, you will be rewarded with alot less time spent washing the car.. DanF
Old 07-28-2005, 06:12 PM
I slow down for COPS

Talking

NOTHING is like ZAINO and lots of it.
Old 07-28-2005, 06:15 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Thumbs up

Carnauba brand waxes LITERALLY melt off you car during the HOT summer months.

ZAINO RULES !!!!!!ZAINO RULES !!!!!
Old 07-30-2005, 02:07 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Zaino works on Nighthawk Black!!!

I have an 01 CL and had two coats of Zaino applied last year - I could not believe the difference it makes, and it lasted almost a year. Definitely worth it IMHO,

Old 07-31-2005, 04:54 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Guys,

I have the silver RL.

Not familiar with Zaino, but somehow I found a
recommendation for Zaino Z-2Pro. They
are selling small bottles for about $15.

But then I read further and see that I have to
actually buy ZFX Flash Cure Accelerator
in addition to this product, and start mixing it
with the Zaino Pro 2 prior to application.

Grrrrr!

Look, I'd love to become a Zaino user, but
I want a wax that is simple and effective for my
Silver RL that I don't have to pre-prep
in advance.

What do you guys recommend?
Old 07-31-2005, 10:10 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by NJRonbo
Guys,

I have the silver RL.

Not familiar with Zaino, but somehow I found a
recommendation for Zaino Z-2Pro. They
are selling small bottles for about $15.

But then I read further and see that I have to
actually buy ZFX Flash Cure Accelerator
in addition to this product, and start mixing it
with the Zaino Pro 2 prior to application.

Grrrrr!

Look, I'd love to become a Zaino user, but
I want a wax that is simple and effective for my
Silver RL that I don't have to pre-prep
in advance.

What do you guys recommend?

The use of ZFX is recommended either for the INITIAL application (the first time you lay down the first coat of Z2) or if you intend to apply multiple applications within 24 hours. Other than that you don't need to mix ZFX in. Prior to ZFX (the old way) you applied Z1 for the initial application: wash with Blue Dawn, clay bar, wash again, initial Z1 layer, then Z5 or Z2. From then on you used Z5/Z2 with Z6 in between to highlight even more. With ZFX you get to bypass the Z1 step (Again, we are talking very first time here not every time) and for the committed (or soon to be by their spouses ) polisher using ZFX allows you to do multiple Z2 (or Z5) passes within 24 hours.

Bottom line - you would only need to do it once, or you could do the one time Z1 instead again, just once.

I can't imagine using anything other than Zaino and everybody I've ever introduced to it is the same way.
Old 07-31-2005, 12:36 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Okay, if Zaino is that good then I'll invest in the
2-part process.

I am gathering that this is what I use instead of waxing the car?

It's basically a wax and protectant process all in one?
Old 07-31-2005, 12:47 PM
Cruisin'

I have the celestial silver RL and I have used Zaino since I bought the car. It is the best wax I have ever used and although there is some work I am very happy with the results. I use Z-6 midweek and by Saturday I just give the car my regular wash and some more Z-6.
Old 07-31-2005, 03:04 PM
Instructor

im ready to try zaino......

should i get one of the kits, or just buy the products separately (which ones? )?

thanks, mark

btw, you guys are costing me alot of time/money.....
Old 07-31-2005, 06:08 PM
Cruisin'

The first time I bought Zaino I bought the kit that was I believe about $85. After that I have just bought what I needed to replace.
Old 07-31-2005, 08:03 PM
2015 RDX Base

Only black car I have is my CL-S (nighthawk black).. I noticed my wax would only last a week or so, and I would form swirls after that week. So the last time I detailed all the cars I went all out. I picked up Menzerna Intensive Polish, Menzerna Final Polish II, Klasse All-in-one, Klasse sealant (note: Klasse when applied acts like a 2nd clearcoat.) and topped that off with Pinnacle Souveran carnauba wax. It's officially 3 weeks and roughly 5 car washes, and 10 quick details later and the car still looks like glass, no swirls and no dulling.

check out autopia.org for some more tips.
Old 08-01-2005, 12:40 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by NJRonbo
Okay, if Zaino is that good then I'll invest in the
2-part process.

I am gathering that this is what I use instead of waxing the car?

It's basically a wax and protectant process all in one?
Yes, Zaino instead of wax. Understand that Zaino is not wax. There are a number of other products in the market that aren't wax. Wax is great stuff, but it melts and disappears quickly in high heat and also attracts dust. Polymers like zaino (and others) can repel dust and will last much longer than wax. I'm not saying that wax is bad, it isn't - you can do great stuff for a short term shine with wax, but that when it comes to long lasting easy shine Zaino is good stuff. People get scared off by the initial prep of dawn/clay/z1/z2 but that's the perfectionist way. For people that just want to wax their car then honestly applying z2 to a clean car will give you a better and longer lasting shine than applying wax to that same clean car. Doing the 'full monty' and following Sal's advice for the ultimate shine will do better but all things being equal I'd take Zaino on a clean car vs. wax on a clean car.
Old 08-02-2005, 01:15 AM
Racer

I've been using Zaino for over five years now on three different black cars - latest car is a 2005 NBP Acura TL. Zaino is the best, longest lasting "wax" I've ever used. It does give an excellent, reflective shine although some have described it as a bit artificial. Carnauba wax (good ones anyway) will give a deeper shine. I've actually used Zaino and then put a "topper" of carnauba wax on top of Zaino, giving the best of both!

If you go with one of the Zaino car care kits, I think the Z-Kit1 ($84.70) would be fine. If you want to just get the minimum and save some $$, I'd suggest: Z2, Z5, and Z6. You can always get the others if you find you like Zaino.

Z5 fills in scratches and is a great wax. I usually put two coats of Z5 then top that with a coat of Z2 as the final layer. Z6 is the quick detailer spray is the second best quick detailer I've ever used (the new Z8 is even better but more expensive). Z6/Z8 leave no streaks and I used them every time I wash my car since they bring your paint finish back to that "just waxed" look and feel (slickness).

One final recommendation: I would highly recommend you use microfiber towels, especially when removing the wax. They pull the wax off easier than cotton towels, will not scratch your paing, and leaves no streaks. Whatever you do, don't use old, cheap, "shop" towels on your paint finish - you'll put scratches and "spider webs" all over you paint no matter what wax you use.

Good luck!

Originally Posted by melly
im ready to try zaino......

should i get one of the kits, or just buy the products separately (which ones? )?

thanks, mark

btw, you guys are costing me alot of time/money.....
Old 08-02-2005, 09:13 PM
Instructor

Yakuza-

I have been concerned about using microfiber towels when waxing - are you sure about the softness/abrasiion characteristics - Zaino recommends only USA made cotton - cut off the ends with polyester......

thoughts anyone?

Mark
Old 08-02-2005, 10:03 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Try both and you tell us....
Old 08-03-2005, 12:31 AM
Racer

Melly,

When I first began using Zaino, I went out and bought 100% cotton towels (needs to be "made in USA" since, according to Zaino, foreign made cotton towels will scratch). They work well, especially in drying the car. In the past few years, microfiber towels have become all the rage. I was skeptical at first but decided to give them a try. Much to my surprise, the microfiber towels were huge improvement, especially in wax removal and quick detailer spray application. They removed wax so cleanly and streak free!

Just like with the cotton towels, you need to get high quality microfiber towels. I bought some from and online store called Pak Shack (not sure of the exact spelling) and they are very well made and do not scratch at all. Of course, proper care of any towel is important - use LIQUID detergent when washing and keep them clean and free of debris. I also have a few Meguires microfiber towels and they're good too. You can find then at many different auto parts stores if you want to give it a try. I would avoid the microfiber towels you find at Costco or Wal-mart as I've read that they are not very good quality and can scratch. Apparently there's a CD scratch test for microfiber towels: Take a clean CD and rub the towel on it and look to see if it scratches. I haven't tried it on my towels.

I still find my cotton towels work well when drying my car but I use nothing but my microfiber towels for waxing and quick detailing. There are specially made microfiber towels for drying too but since I have so many cotton towels, I just use them. When they wear out, I'll give the "drying" microfiber towels a try.

Cleaning/Waxing/Detailing a car can get addicting, especially with Zaino! If you want to learn more about detailing check out www.autopia.com That's where I visit to get tips about technique and products. The people on the forums are very helpful and you'll soon find out just how many different products are out there!! People are very loyal to their waxes so be prepared - just like we are with our cars I guess.

Good luck!
Old 08-03-2005, 06:27 PM
Racer

Like Yakuza70 I used to use the high-end made in America cotton towels with the stitched borders cut off. Want to have fun? Go into your local Bed, Bath, and Beyond and after you buy the top of the line Cannon/Fieldcrest ask the cashier if you can borrow the pinking shears and then cut the borders off right there. I can guarantee you will elicit some responses, even moreso should you be asked to explain and you tell them you just want to use them to wash/wax your car.

Anyway I also began to dabble with microfiber and now it's all I use. I bought a bunch from autogeek.com - their bulk packages are pretty fairly priced so now I have a LOT and never have to worry about being tempted to use a 'slightly used' one before washing them. As Yakuza70 noted you don't want to cheap out on this - anything you are going to be rubbing the paint of your car with needs to be as pure as possible so stay away from the Walmart/PepBoys/etc variants and get a high quality product from a reputable supplier.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:40 PM
Instructor

Karl/Yakuza-

Thanks for the info! Very helpful.

Old 08-05-2005, 02:50 PM
Intermediate

I applied Klasse All-in-one followed by 2 coats ( 1 week apart) Klasse Sealant using old soft 100% cotton t-shirts. After 3 weeks of 95+ degree daytime temps, so far, so good. No swirls, just slick, high gloss shine.