What's your favorite thing about your RL?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 12:58 PM
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 71 Posts
Just an all around well built vehicle. I love driving it.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:19 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hey what can we say, it's shotty marketing & neglect from Acura. I've never seen an Acura commercial or even ad solely for the RL since I've had my '08.. It's also a fact that ppl would rather spend the same amount for a Base 528i or Mercedes E350 with vinyl seats & no nav just for the status symbol. Everyone wants that Bimmer key fob or the Mercedes insignia on the hood.. Plus AWD is extra..
Eventhough the RL is a bit dated by today's standards (but blew competition out of the water back when it debuted), it is still ALOT of car for the money, especially since Acura's lack of RL marketing has led to 5k-10k discounts off MSRP for new RL's by many savvy Aziners on here.. Honda is renown for value & reliability and the RL is no exception!
Can't dispute the facts.. I do however like the exclusivity though (for only 41K too!!).. I see 528's, E350's, and GS's on the road countless times but I remember everytime I see an RL..
Old 04-10-2012, 03:27 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by SSjTrunks112O
Hey what can we say, it's shotty marketing & neglect from Acura. I've never seen an Acura commercial or even ad solely for the RL since I've had my '08.. It's also a fact that ppl would rather spend the same amount for a Base 528i or Mercedes E350 with vinyl seats & no nav just for the status symbol. Everyone wants that Bimmer key fob or the Mercedes insignia on the hood.. Plus AWD is extra..
Eventhough the RL is a bit dated by today's standards (but blew competition out of the water back when it debuted), it is still ALOT of car for the money, especially since Acura's lack of RL marketing has led to 5k-10k discounts off MSRP for new RL's by many savvy Aziners on here.. Honda is renown for value & reliability and the RL is no exception!
Can't dispute the facts.. I do however like the exclusivity though (for only 41K too!!).. I see 528's, E350's, and GS's on the road countless times but I remember everytime I see an RL..
Right. A used RL is often a great buy.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:55 PM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by TonyCD
•The confidence of knowing car thieves will never bother me because they don't even know what my car is.

I must say, after being a victim of car thievery, this is music to my ears (or eyes; whatever). I agreegree, and I also make sure to not leave anything in plain sight that is of thieving value anymore.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Wow, interesting debate in here while I was working today. I can tell you ceb is not a troll. He hasn't owned an RL and so has not had the opportunity to drink the Kool-Aid. It's our job to feed it to him.

With that said, back on topic....
The best feature of my RL was SH-AWD. Even though I now own two RWD cars, there is absolutely no experience in my driving life like what SH-AWD offered. Even better, I had sticky tires so I could appreciate it even more. I wish I had the torque I have now with a CTS-V with SH-AWD. I often wonder how many bars I'd get on the MID with 400 lb-ft on tap, mashing the accelerator, in a turn.

Don't get me wrong, I love feeling the butt end of my car swinging just a lil' wide in a turn as only a RWD car can do, but the feeling of complete stability in a high-speed turn with SH-AWD means that anyone can be Mario Andretti.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:19 PM
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Not having to pull the key out to lock/unlock or start vehicle
Old 04-13-2012, 01:29 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by neuronbob
Wow, interesting debate in here while I was working today. I can tell you ceb is not a troll. He hasn't owned an RL and so has not had the opportunity to drink the Kool-Aid. It's our job to feed it to him.

With that said, back on topic....
The best feature of my RL was SH-AWD. Even though I now own two RWD cars, there is absolutely no experience in my driving life like what SH-AWD offered. Even better, I had sticky tires so I could appreciate it even more. I wish I had the torque I have now with a CTS-V with SH-AWD. I often wonder how many bars I'd get on the MID with 400 lb-ft on tap, mashing the accelerator, in a turn.

Don't get me wrong, I love feeling the butt end of my car swinging just a lil' wide in a turn as only a RWD car can do, but the feeling of complete stability in a high-speed turn with SH-AWD means that anyone can be Mario Andretti.
Thanks Bob. I actually drove my sister's 05 for almost a year after I sold my R32 and was deciding on my next ride (a very disappointing BMW 335i x-drive.

I've driven AWD exclusively for about 20 years now with a short foray into a FWD (GTI) and absolutely agree that AWD plus good tires is just so much better than either RWD or FWD.

However, I'm not convinced that the SH-AWD is superior to quattro, x-drive, 4MATIC or the slew of Haldex variants out there. Torque Vectoring doesn't come into play in day to day driving and is only valuable when driven to the limits. I've not seen a lot of RLs on the track nor would I suspect that any RL driver has ever reached the handling limits of their car. Accordingly, I don't believe that SH-AWD is a feature that sets the RL apart from the competition.

Keyless (or properly named "fobless") entry is a nice feature, but hardly exclusionary to the RL. One may argue that the RL is behind the times because one still must twist the "key" in the ignition while others have push button start.

The need to justify the shortcomings of a car merely indicates that you agree.

Here is a "pro"

When the 2005 came out it was a very nice modern design. I thought it was lovely when I saw a test mule (dk blue) driving in DC and followed it for miles. The ealy RLs are a pretty timeless design - Acura screwed that up with the beak.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,247 Likes on 4,858 Posts
You must not have taken many U-turns. I have squealled the tires and had the rear end come out a little more than once.

But still, you have yet to contribute to the thread in the way the OP requested. What is you favorite feature of the RL?

Also, anyone who argues that turning a knob is less luxurious than pushing a button doesn't deserve to be driving a luxury sedan as they obviously cannot appreciate the features this car has.

I also misse the part where we said SH-AWD was superior to anything. I think you have confused this thread about a single car's features for a debate about the RL > *.

Last edited by oo7spy; 04-13-2012 at 02:01 PM.
Old 04-13-2012, 02:09 PM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
"However, I'm not convinced that the SH-AWD is superior to quattro, x-drive, 4MATIC or the slew of Haldex variants out there. Torque Vectoring doesn't come into play in day to day driving and is only valuable when driven to the limits. I've not seen a lot of RLs on the track nor would I suspect that any RL driver has ever reached the handling limits of their car. Accordingly, I don't believe that SH-AWD is a feature that sets the RL apart from the competition."

Really? Using your logic, why buy a car that can go over the speed limit?
The following users liked this post:
TonyCD (04-13-2012)
Old 04-13-2012, 02:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 209 Likes on 168 Posts
Originally Posted by ceb
Nor would I suspect that any RL driver has ever reached the handling limits of their car.
I agree 100%, ced. I think you would, in fact, not suspect that any RL driver has ever reached the handling limits of their car.
Old 04-13-2012, 03:01 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Pray tell how do I reach the handling limit ?
Let me know and I'll try it this weekend.
Well that is as long as running off the side of a mountain is not involved.
Old 04-13-2012, 04:15 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hands down my favorite features are sh-awd. Along with manual mode... A BEAST in my opinion.... Can't wait to add j- pipe pre-cat deletes and CIA. Its sure to wake her up a bit!! Got my 07 with 75k for 16500. Best car for the money
Old 04-13-2012, 04:36 PM
Intermediate

Side note: my LEAST favorite feature is how the rear shade goes down when u put in reverse, I feel that it's going to cause the motor to fail prematurely....I love the shades in this car. Makes my tint look darker

Last edited by PortcityRL; 04-13-2012 at 04:39 PM.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by ceb
I've driven AWD exclusively for about 20 years now with a short foray into a FWD (GTI) and absolutely agree that AWD plus good tires is just so much better than either RWD or FWD.

However, I'm not convinced that the SH-AWD is superior to quattro, x-drive, 4MATIC or the slew of Haldex variants out there. Torque Vectoring doesn't come into play in day to day driving and is only valuable when driven to the limits. I've not seen a lot of RLs on the track nor would I suspect that any RL driver has ever reached the handling limits of their car. Accordingly, I don't believe that SH-AWD is a feature that sets the RL apart from the competition.
I wasn't aware you'd driven the RL extensively. Cool.

Torque vectoring comes into play some while carving corners (e.g. driving assertively), but no one takes their RL to the limits on public roads. I hope.

In any case, your homework for today is to write a comparo of the various types of AWD you've driven, if possible. That'd be an epic thread IMHO. I think such a comparison would be very useful for everybody here. No one has done a useful comparison of the AWD types that I am aware of. If I'm wrong, post up a link because I'm happy to learn.

The only RL I know of that was taken to the limits is the Spoon Legend, which was actually used on a race course.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:22 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by neuronbob
In any case, your homework for today is to write a comparo of the various types of AWD you've driven, if possible....
Damn. Homework on a weekend.

Let's start with this. I'm sure I'll come up with something later as well.

Quite frankly, in normal driving, one would be hard-pressed to see any discernible difference between SH-AWD, quattro or x-drive - you step on the gas, all four wheels get grip.

I suspect that many Acura drivers didn't come from AWD cars and are really impressed with AWD drive in general rather than with SH-AWD in particular.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:31 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by oo7spy
...Also, anyone who argues that turning a knob is less luxurious than pushing a button doesn't deserve to be driving a luxury sedan as they obviously cannot appreciate the features this car has. ...
A little defensive, aren't we?

Turning a knob is clearly less modern than pushing a button and isn't in use by any other manufacturer except Chery.

Reliability by using proven technology is the big advantage of the RL but that also means that there is little cutting edge technology in the car - like there was in 2005.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:05 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by ceb
I suspect that many Acura drivers didn't come from AWD cars and are really impressed with AWD drive in general rather than with SH-AWD in particular.
I agree with this 100%, and it was true in my case. In fact, SH-AWD was part of my transition from FWD to RWD....the shift was not intentional, but just the way things happened in my automotive life.

Acura helps your argument in its displaying a graphical representation of torque applied to each wheel on the MID. It is easy to be impressed when you can SEE the presumed benefit.

We need to have a separate thread on AWD.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:43 AM
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
I drove Audi's for 8 years before buying the RL and quattro, although impressive in its own right, doesn't compare to SH-AWD. I've watched the MID while driving over black ice and was amazed at the rapid torque vectoring to the rear wheels and never once felt the car slipping. On this particular stretch of road that day I saw about 10 cars/trucks that had slid off the highway.

The Audi's were good at cornering also but again, at some of the speeds I have taken the RL into sharp turns I would not try that with the Audi. Probably end up needing a tow truck if I did.
neuronbob (04-14-2012)
Old 04-14-2012, 11:50 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by ceb

Turning a knob is clearly less modern than pushing a button and isn't in use by any other manufacturer except Chery.
Clearly....

...that is your opinion.

What's you favorite thing about the RL?

Last edited by oo7spy; 04-14-2012 at 11:54 AM.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:52 AM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I traded my girlfriend's Audi for the RL. Glad to see that turkey go and thankful that the carfax report on it was very incomplete. CV transmission troubles, interior rain water leak when some drain hole somewhere clogged up (there was a successful class action suit about it). Oh the leak fills up the ECU under the passenger seat. Disaster !

I like the waterproof RL !
Old 04-14-2012, 12:27 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ceb
Damn. Homework on a weekend.

Let's start with this. I'm sure I'll come up with something later as well.

Quite frankly, in normal driving, one would be hard-pressed to see any discernible difference between SH-AWD, quattro or x-drive - you step on the gas, all four wheels get grip.

I think you are way off on this one. I have driven all sorts of AWD and RWD cars. Torque vectoring is clearly evident on many curvy roads and especially on freeway on/off ramps. You can start to accelerate before the apex of the curve and the car changes from slight understeer to slight oversteer, but with no feeling that the backend is going to cut loose.

Last edited by getakey; 04-14-2012 at 12:34 PM.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:43 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 846 Posts

We went from not owning luxury cars and being biased to now not owning AWD drive cars and still being biased.

This is pretty comical.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:34 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I could go with a laundry list of awesome things, but I like that the RL is a bit exclusive. Not meaning that it is unatainable, but that it lacks a frequency of appearances. I see more Bentleys than RLs. To desire an RL, you have to have a different kind of taste altogether.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:16 PM
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Well, I like how the car is the complete package, in a way I had no idea until I took delivery. I wanted a sports car initially, but honestly, that's for 10% of my driving time while this car suits me 90% of the time. It is smooth and comfortable, compliant, but not soft. Looks good, is a classy brand, fits my entire family. It handles good and has the paddle shifters for better control during spirited driving, It has more gadgets than I can use, and the best stereo I have ever heard! I think I would have to spend a lot more to get something I like better. It drives like that Mercedes 500SL I drove years ago, very planted and solid, maybe more so. I can't pick a favorite, it's the complete package!

And the previous poster's comment about exclusivity was spot on! I dont see many out there and people ask me if it's a NEW car. It's seven years old I tell them!!!!
Old 04-17-2012, 07:36 AM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ceb

Reliability by using proven technology is the big advantage of the RL but that also means that there is little cutting edge technology in the car - like there was in 2005.
Having never pushed a button to start or stop an engine, I love still TURNING the Key on my RL. I get to work, sitting in parking lot finishing my coffee and turn engine off and radio continues to play music. How do you go into accessory mode on one of them push button type cars ?
Old 04-17-2012, 09:23 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Chans
... Not meaning that it is unatainable, but that it lacks a frequency of appearances. I see more Bentleys than RLs. To desire an RL, you have to have a different kind of taste altogether.
True.

However, I see more RL's on the roads than I do Daihatsu Charades, which are also, apparently, quite exclusive.

I see 3 different 2G RL's regularly and others from time to time.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:55 AM
10th Gear

One of the things I like best about my 2005 RL is the leather smell -even at the ripe old age of nearly 8. I have a client with a new Lexus and every time he gets in my car, he says "I wish my car smelled this good"!
Old 04-17-2012, 03:42 PM
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Yes, my 05 STILL smells like leather. I noticed it right away when I got in it. Very impressive. Remember, the smells in the car on a hot day can be toxic, you should roll down the windows and vent the car thoroughly as you ride away then roll em up and use the AC, Only a few seconds of wind should do it. I hate how the AC defaults to recirc, which is not needed unless it's over 90 outside.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:23 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by F35PHIXER
Having never pushed a button to start or stop an engine, I love still TURNING the Key on my RL. I get to work, sitting in parking lot finishing my coffee and turn engine off and radio continues to play music. How do you go into accessory mode on one of them push button type cars ?
Nothing wrong with turning a "key" to start the car - but it is so reminiscent of early keyless start cars.

On the BMW, a quick jab shuts of the car and leaves the car in accessory mode. A second jab (or a longer push initially) shuts everything down. I don't know how other manufacturers implement it.

With the engine off, a press of the button goes into accessory mode. Press the button with your foot on the brake and it starts.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:53 AM
Senior Moderator

Sounds luxurious.

Old 04-20-2012, 11:07 AM
Suzuka Master

haha, so fancy.
Old 04-20-2012, 01:31 PM
Cruisin'

It talks

I was so tired of hearing "Sharon" speak. That's what I call the lady on all the navigation devices. My kids get a kick outta telling "Sharon" to shut up... BUT NOW Ra2(my car) has a male voice.. Its like driving KITT.... LOL

So the best thang bout my RL is the Navi and HFLink Voice.
Then ofcourse the fact that its a 05 and driving down the street you cant tell the dif between it and an 08... MOOOOHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAA
Old 04-20-2012, 01:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Wow. Another DMM. That's two in one week. Don't upgrade your nav; you will lose Kitt and be stuck with Sharon. Although I have managed to permanently disable her from everything but HF.

Heavy, is this a turbocharged snail?
Old 04-20-2012, 06:06 PM
Cruisin'

This is my first post. I've been using this forum for all sorts of information since I bought my RL a few months ago. Thanks for that!

CEB, not sure why you're so active on this forum if you don't own a RL. I'm also confused why you insist on speaking in such an inflammatory way. Sometimes it does seem like you're trolling here, but I doubt that's the case. This is a thread about favorite things. No one has said the RL is better than all other cars, so maybe back off a bit. Also, I don't think a single person on this thread claimed SH-AWD was the best awd system around. Let's leave that one be and move on.

That said, I have been surprisingly happy locking and unlocking the car without using the keyfob. It just gives you a feeling of coddling, like the car really wants to treat you like a king and is happy to see you.

My past cars have been a bit sportier, but I enjoy driving the RL more. It has a solid and sophisticated manner of going down the road that I really enjoy. I love the stereo even though my subwoofer rattles if it's up too loud. (anyone know a fix for this by the way?)

I love the seats. They manage to feel super plush but still have nice bolstering for going fast.

The leather is fantastic, especially on the doors and center console.

I love the way the side mirrors fold in so easily. I found my passenger side mirror folded in this morning, presumably because someone hit it. Zero damage. That's a nice feature and has already saved me a trip to the body shop.

So to sum this up. I feel like this is a car that Acura really cared about when designing. There are so many little details that make it special. That's my favorite feature.
oo7spy (04-20-2012)
Old 04-20-2012, 06:07 PM
Safety Car

Nice - what year did you get?
Old 04-20-2012, 06:26 PM
Cruisin'

2005, and it looks like its new. These cars really hold up nicely.
Old 04-20-2012, 06:36 PM
Safety Car

Great. I'm original owner on 2005
I have some wear issues on interior - arm rests and a lot of rock chips on front, but most everything is solid.
Tip: Pull the door shut from the inside by the bottom of the door handle not the top. I realize most of the time the door kind of shuts itself with a slight pull, but in those situations where driver side is downhill do as I say!!! (trust me)
Old 04-20-2012, 06:41 PM
Cruisin'

I live on a big hill so I should make that part of my daily routine. Thanks for the tip!
Old 04-20-2012, 08:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by oo7spy
Heavy, is this a turbocharged snail?
hahaha.. with wheelie bars and a super bee helmet.
Old 04-21-2012, 03:48 PM
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
My RL has every option available. Love the active cruise control and SH AWD. Drove a 2012 TL with 799 miles on it yesterday and other than it being faster than my RL there is no comparison. The TL does not ride as good and the interior seems to be made very cheaply. It is simply a dressed up Honda Accord. I would imagine the customers who buy the TL never even test drive the RL or they would see the major difference. Mine is a 2006 and with 89,000 miles and will be keeping it until I can no longer drive. I am 63 years old and have owned at least 40 cars in my life and the RL is tops in every way.

Quick Reply: What's your favorite thing about your RL?