What features/improvements do you want in 06 RL?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2005, 01:28 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What features/improvements do you want in 06 RL?

1 Better up/down shifting/acceration in the 30-45 mph range;

2. Fix the XM delay issue!

3. Add XM3 & 4 to the available XM bands - 12 presets are not enough;

4. All steering wheel control to go back and forth between the 4 XM bands;

5. Have the channel tuner rocker switch on steering wheel go through the stations one at a time (unless they give us 24 presets).

6. Have software upgrades come from the satellites like with DirecTV

7. Move the labels for name, title over to the left of the screen more to show more information.

8. Finally, when you turn the power wheel over a preset, it shows you what's playing on thal channel withoutactually having to tune to the station.

Most could be done via software upgrades.

9. Quieter lnterior/tires.

Thanks and Happy Fouth to alll and a belated birthday to the best neighbors any country could want...Oh Canada!

BTW, get that damn game back on the ice. My Lightning think everyone's afraid of the 'Ning!
Old 07-04-2005, 03:08 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Building upon your #1, I think the RL needs at least a 6spd tranny, and gear the crap out of 1-4 for better 0-60mph.

Also, cooled seats...don't they offer this in canada? why can't they just put it on?!?
And back up cam...don't they offer this in the MDX? Just put it on the RL you bitches!
And adaptive cruise and bi-xenons. The TL has bi-xenons, dammit!
Old 07-04-2005, 03:49 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adaptive crusie control is confirmed for 06.
I thought the RL has bi Xenons or something equivelent.

Cooling seats might become an option as well as the camera, but don't be suprised if that doesn't come until 07.

Canada get's the cooling seats (which is ironic since they typically live in a much cooler climate) because they don't get onstar or XM traffic. or XM period.
If we get the cooling seats as well, then the canadians get screwed even further.
They need to show value and justification for two markets not just one. The canadians pay a lot for the RL without getting everything.

I think it's rational to say the camera might be the add on option for 06. maybe even standard. Only two manufacuters have them right now. lexus and Infiniti. MB and BMW and Audi do not.
if they don't do the camera, at least do sensors as standard or lower the add on price.
Old 07-04-2005, 06:57 AM
Retired MOD

Originally Posted by ck37
Adaptive crusie control is confirmed for 06.
I thought the RL has bi Xenons or something equivelent.

nope.
Old 07-04-2005, 07:24 AM
Instructor

Actually you are wrong on the adaptive cruise control. Its stated in the latest Acura Style mag that it is confirmed for 06.

As for the headlights your right. I was reading up on that and realized what the RL has.
Old 07-04-2005, 11:36 AM
office monkey

I'd like a 6th gear.

Xm woud be nice here in Canuckland...is XM even allowed here? I think I read they applied for a license but have no idea if they have got it yet.

I hope for you Yanks that if they offer the cooled seats they offer the better type that actually cool and not just the ventilated ones (just simply draw air from underneath the seat and spit it out rather than cool it) that the current RL has...there is a difference.

Come to think of it, since I have a 05 RL I dont want anything of value (to me) added on since I'd feel a bit ticked if the 06 had a bunch of cool stuff added that I dont have. I couldnt care less about a backup cam or the collision thing so they can add those
Old 07-04-2005, 11:58 AM
Retired MOD

Actually you are wrong on the adaptive cruise control. Its stated in the latest Acura Style mag that it is confirmed for 06.

As for the headlights your right. I was reading up on that and realized what the RL has.
Sorry for the misunderstanding. My answer was only meant for the headlights no the Adaptive cruise control.

Don't you think I know better.
Old 07-04-2005, 02:53 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bitium
Don't you think I know better.
Ouch my friend. no one is attacking you here. If my post came off that way, then I owe you an apology. Just trying to clear that up for the readers that are reading these posts. thats all.
Old 07-04-2005, 10:34 PM
Intermediate

On top of all the above, 8 way adjustments for the passenger would put the RL in line with the rest of the competition it goes up against from BMW, Audi, Mercedes, Infiniti, etc...

Hey why not an adapter for an MP3 player. If BMW and Mercedes are already doing it.
Old 07-05-2005, 03:22 AM
Instructor

Exclamation You nailed it!!!!

Originally Posted by mrdeeno
...............And back up cam...don't they offer this in the MDX? Just put it on the RL you bitches!
While I TOTALLY agree with you that a back up camera is one of the best features, and that it should be available (at least on a 50K vehicle), Acura may justify saying the MDX is an SUV versus the RL being a sedan etc. etc., so for the MDX it's a necessary parking aid and so on. Nevertheless, IMO it should be standard with the Navi on all Acuras......My '03 MDX had one, and after that I absolutely can't imagine living life without this feature!!!!!.....However,.........

And adaptive cruise and bi-xenons. The TL has bi-xenons, dammit!
......there is absolutely and I mean ABSOLUTELY no excuse for not having bi-xenons, when the lesser TL has it!!!!! ....would make me RAGING mad if I owned an RL, and found out that my neighbor who paid a huge chunk less for a TL got them. I was SHOCKED when I first learned about this soon after the RL's release, but then I just "ASSUMED" that the RL had them, but they just did not specifically mention it......but now that you mention that the RL does not have Bi-Xenons, I totally appalled!!!!
Old 07-05-2005, 03:31 AM
Instructor

Well actually the TL doesn't technically have Bi Xenons. It uses the same xenon but has a flap the redirects the light to high beam when we turn on our high beams. There is a thread hre that explains it much better than I, but the consensous is, from what I gather, is that the TL is not true Bi-Xenon. In fact, cars far more expensive like Mercedes SLR McClaren do not come with Bi-Xenon but Xenon/Halogen.

As for the back up camera I agree, it should come with it. however from the Honda Legend Site that bitium posted a link to, it's an add on after sales option that converted to the US dollar is around 394.00 for the rear camera.
I believe they should have this option for us here as well. hopefully for 06 they do.
If its offered there in that type of aftersales package chances are we have the US RL's pre-configured for it as well.
Old 07-05-2005, 03:36 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by vicpai
While I TOTALLY agree with you that a back up camera is one of the best features, and that it should be available (at least on a 50K vehicle), Acura may justify saying the MDX is an SUV versus the RL being a sedan etc. etc., so for the MDX it's a necessary parking aid and so on. Nevertheless, IMO it should be standard with the Navi on all Acuras......My '03 MDX had one, and after that I absolutely can't imagine living life without this feature!!!!!.....However,.........

......there is absolutely and I mean ABSOLUTELY no excuse for not having bi-xenons, when the lesser TL has it!!!!! ....would make me RAGING mad if I owned an RL, and found out that my neighbor who paid a huge chunk less for a TL got them. I was SHOCKED when I first learned about this soon after the RL's release, but then I just "ASSUMED" that the RL had them, but they just did not specifically mention it......but now that you mention that the RL does not have Bi-Xenons, I totally appalled!!!!
Dang bro relax, it's a headlight for cripes sake. Besides, how often are you really using high beams? In the urban/suburban environments most of us live in, the answer is not much.
Old 07-05-2005, 07:42 AM
Suzuka Master

Well actually the TL doesn't technically have Bi Xenons. It uses the same xenon but has a flap the redirects the light to high beam when we turn on our high beams. There is a thread hre that explains it much better than I, but the consensous is, from what I gather, is that the TL is not true Bi-Xenon. In fact, cars far more expensive like Mercedes SLR McClaren do not come with Bi-Xenon but Xenon/Halogen.
Actually, what you describe IS bi-xenon. Bi-xenon does NOT mean it has 1 set of hids for lows and 1 set for highs. Bi-xenon just means it has low and high beams in xenon light.

The TL, as do most if not all other cars with bi-xenons, use a solenoid or other mechanical switch that re-directs light from the xenons for either low or high beam usage.

If it does use 2 sets of xenon bulbs though (I don't know of any application of this), then I'm sure both sets are on all the time acting as low beam, and when switched to high beams, the solenoid would cause a shield or reflector to redirect the light from the 2nd set of lights that are already on to high beam mode. The fact that xenons need a warm up period of several seconds makes it impractical to have a set of hid bulbs that switch on and off, severely reducing HID bulb's life.

I think the difficulty with bi-xenons in the RL is the adaptive headlight thing. It's possible though since some other automakers (all euro) offer bi-xenons with adaptive headlights. But RL, GS, and M45, which all have adaptive lights, don't have bi-xenon.
Old 07-05-2005, 10:04 AM
Suzuka Master

Oh, and to add to my other posts...a lot of cars with bi-xenons also have another set of lights for "flashing".

I'm not sure what the TL uses when you "flash" your lights at someone...maybe the "fog" lights?

Maybe Acura has something else in store for us which is why they copped out on the bi-xenons. Maybe they plan to switch to LED lighting sometime soon. Doubtful, but wouldn't it be cool?
Old 07-05-2005, 10:24 AM
Pinky all stinky

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts
Oh, and to add to my other posts...a lot of cars with bi-xenons also have another set of lights for "flashing".

I'm not sure what the TL uses when you "flash" your lights at someone...maybe the "fog" lights?

Maybe Acura has something else in store for us which is why they copped out on the bi-xenons. Maybe they plan to switch to LED lighting sometime soon. Doubtful, but wouldn't it be cool?
Even though bi-xenons use the same xenon bulb for low and high beams, the high beam is also complemented by a back up halogen. I'm pretty sure that is what is used for flashing.

And it would definitely be cool to see some LED in the front lighting. As it stands, the Audi A8 with the 12-cylinder engine is the only mass produced car with LED lights up front - and they're only used as daytime running lights. The BMW 5-Series has that yellow signal strip (the "eyebrows") in its headlights. I think the upcoming redesigned Merc S-Class will have LED headlights - from the spy pics, they look like they will be used for illumination at night, and not just as DRLs.
Old 07-05-2005, 11:11 AM
Intermediate

Angry Debug

Do the boys and girls and Acura listen to the consumers at all. Without doing any major consumer research just looking at forums I see many Acura enthusiats that want such things as (which by the way are easy to do) as back up camera, cooled seats, more power.

But instead they decide to give us instead Adaptive cruise control instead (which I would assume is much harder to fit then other items already in their own catalog and thus need less debugging). Besides this item is the one item I have yet to read any real positive feed back. Most is complaining that it screws up going around bends or my radar detector doesn't work. The only positive things are its ok a rarely use it.

If anyone at Acura is listening stop adding to your vehicles until you have all the bugs worked out on the current tech. Then listen to the demands of the Acura enthusiast and install some items that are wanted. You might save a few dollars and sell a few more cars.

Sorry about the rant and rave. Just went through a little MS problem at the office that wouldn't have happened if companies properly debugged their software before releasing it to the public.
Old 07-05-2005, 12:05 PM
Intermediate

Exclamation Japanese Legend has

It looks like from the manual that the Honda Legend (Japanese RL) has a lot of options that we don't get.

Legend Manual with corresponding pages below.

http://translate.google.com/translat...language_tools

If the link doesn't work use google translator on Japans Honda site and type RL manual in the search box.

Page 101 Mirrors that fold in electrically
Page 139 Night vision
Page 161 Key FOB socket next to the wheel ala BMW 7 Series
Page 172 Auto wipers
Page 257 Collision Mitigation System and Adaptive Cruise Control

If the items work why don't they bring them on over as options. I think Acura wouldn't be struggling to sell these cars if they gave the ability for us to option the cars the way we would like. Instead of forcing options on us, and not letting us have others.
Old 07-05-2005, 12:15 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Rob L
I'd like a 6th gear.

Xm woud be nice here in Canuckland...is XM even allowed here? I think I read they applied for a license but have no idea if they have got it yet.
The Canadian government makes it rather difficult for the satellite providers to do business there, as they must comply with the content provisions of the Broadcasting Act. Here's a quick rundown of what XM/Sirius need to do in order to exercise the licenses:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Included in the Canadian content standards, the commission is requiring that satellite radio operators offer at least eight original channels produced in Canada and that at least 85 percent of the musical selections and spoken word programming broadcast on the Canadian channels must be Canadian.

At least 25 percent of the Canadian channels must be in French and at least 25 percent of the musical selections channels must be new Canadian music.

The licensees must also contribute at least 5 percent of their gross annual revenues to initiatives for the development of Canadian talent.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That might represent a substantial increase in operating costs (expenses) - and they might decide that the return isn't worth it, at least not at this time.

As to why the RL has cooled seats in Canada and not the US . . . I don't get the logic. Canadians don't get XM and therefore . . . they get hot butts??
Old 07-06-2005, 09:43 AM
Instructor

1) Upgrade from 6 way passenger seat to 10 way passenger seat
2) Rearview camera
3) Cooling seats
Old 07-10-2005, 05:22 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by jrock65
2) Rearview camera
3) Cooling seats
Ditto and add an optional Full Size Spare.
Old 07-11-2005, 11:20 AM
Intermediate

10 passenger seat in Japan

Originally Posted by jrock65
2) Rearview camera
3) Cooling seats
If you look in the fact book posted under a different thread you can see that the Japanese version has a 10 way passenger seat. Which would make me think they will bring it over at some point.

I had a 97 ford expedition which was the first year for the car. The passenger seat was completly manual. Then in 98 it had full electric. I think this is a way for car manufacturers to save some money in the first model year.

So lets hope that 2006 will be the years.

Also notice in the same post the electric open and close trunk. I always thought the trunk felt a little cheap. If they bring that option over it will get rid of those thoughts.
Old 07-11-2005, 11:31 AM
Intermediate

Slim key ??

Does anyone know the reason why Honda did not bring over the slim key with the dash insert to the us.

The key looks really cool and thin. Plus I like the way you can slide it into the dash.

I don't see any reasoning behind having 2 different keys. From a manufacturing point of view it is much more expensive. There must be some reasoning behind it.
Old 07-11-2005, 04:28 PM
The Acura Granddaddy

6 speed auto tranny
Old 07-11-2005, 06:36 PM
Racer

Cooled seats
Power folding side mirrors
greater range on telescoping steering wheel
either a 6-spd auto or change the gearing on current 5-spd
power adjustable pedals, integrated into memory
Old 07-11-2005, 07:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
Personally, I think some of the features in the Japanese version of the car will come to the U.S. when exchange rates improve so the yen is a little less strong against the dollar. Then it will make a little bit more financial sense for Honda. Let's hope for the best!
Old 07-11-2005, 10:05 PM
bkw
Death to Dave Marek.

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fab06
Page 161 Key FOB socket next to the wheel ala BMW 7 Series
Does anyone have a part # or picture of this? I would love to retrofit this into my RL.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
6 speed auto
Cooled seats
V8 option

Thats it, i'll buy one when it happens..
Old 07-11-2005, 11:16 PM
Cruisin'

Simple....MORE POWER! RL's are s l o w compared to many other cars. When I punch it, it's like nothing happens. Just a very gradual increase in power until I reach 4000 rpm or so then Vtec kicks in and away we go. Unfortunately it doesn't last very long. Sure would be great if Vtec could kick in around 2000 rpm.
Old 07-12-2005, 10:15 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bkw
Does anyone have a part # or picture of this? I would love to retrofit this into my RL.
You can find it in the Legend Online Catalog Fact Book posted it the same name thread. The address is below.

http://www.gtr34.com/link/LEGEND.url

After pasting link you will have to click on open to get to the page. You will want to look at all the headings but to get to it quick its the advanced function heading.

It is a different key then what we are used to. Very thin very cool. They need to bring it over the pond.
Old 07-12-2005, 10:55 AM
bkw
Death to Dave Marek.

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Hmm.. Thanks.

Maybe I'll fabricate a pouch or find something to replace the empty switch (I think this is where the electric side mirror retractor switch goes) next to the mirror controls to hold my key.
Old 07-12-2005, 11:49 AM
Racer

Cooled Seats vs. Ventilated Seats?

Many have requested Ventilated seats as an improvement to the '06 RL. I have also seen discussions in other threads that Ventilated seats are available in Canada. I wanted to share an observation I got from Edmunds yesterday as well as ask a question.

From Edmunds: Apparently the new '06 GS300/430 offers Ventilated Seats as an option and the new '06 M35/45 offers Cooled Seats as an option. A discussion arose as to the difference between Ventilated vs. Cooled Seats. The collective wisdom on Edmunds concluded (apparently with some confidence) that the Lexus GS Ventilated Seats were just that - Ventilated (e.g. "outdoor" air moved via a fan), whereas the M Cooled Seats are actually Air-Conditioned (thus cold).

Question: Regardless of the correctness of the above - Do the Canadian RLs Cool (via A/C) or merely Ventilate (fan only)?
Old 07-12-2005, 12:24 PM
Карты убийцы

Received 125 Likes on 100 Posts
My 2 cents...

1. V8 for the torque; not the HP
2. RWD only version
3. BETTER PAINT
4. 18 inches wheels standard
5. Nav system to start WITHOUT PRESSING O.K. Everytime
6. Monochromatic Windows
7. EMAIL interface
Old 07-12-2005, 07:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
1. V8 for the torque; not the HP : HONDA HAS ONE....not sure if they are ready to use it yet.....

2. RWD only version : I HAPPEN to like the AWD.... Why only RWD?

3. BETTER PAINT : THE PAINT is great....what do you mean?

4. 18 inches wheels standard : YEAH....the M has standard 18's.... I'd see this happening.....

5. Nav system to start WITHOUT PRESSING O.K. Everytime : NOT gonna happen....think it is a Federal guideline thing.

6. Monochromatic Windows

7. EMAIL interface : IS this available in other cars?
Old 07-12-2005, 09:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by gbriank
1. V8 for the torque; not the HP : HONDA HAS ONE....not sure if they are ready to use it yet.....

2. RWD only version : I HAPPEN to like the AWD.... Why only RWD?

3. BETTER PAINT : THE PAINT is great....what do you mean?

4. 18 inches wheels standard : YEAH....the M has standard 18's.... I'd see this happening.....

5. Nav system to start WITHOUT PRESSING O.K. Everytime : NOT gonna happen....think it is a Federal guideline thing.

6. Monochromatic Windows

7. EMAIL interface : IS this available in other cars?
1. Honda should just end the debate and give us a DAMN V8!!! Either that or give us a damn 6 or even 7 speed tranny to increase acceleration.

2. I think it would be really difficult to switch to RWD from a FWD platform. But I think the SHAWD is pretty good, although adjusting the f/r torque bias from a possible 50/50 to 10/90 would make it a rear biased car.

4. 18" rims...what about the 20" on the concept?!? They were great and made the car look great. Even if they reduced it to 19", it would still make it look and handle great. Instead they give us these pissy 17" with some but ugly (IMO) 18" option.

5. i don't thikn any manuf. would bypass this.

7. I think they had this available on some concepts, but I guess the obstacle is that wireless range is limited, and cell phone signals suck while driving. once they figure out how to get internet access reliably to the car, they can do anything like add a an operating system to the navi. Can we say, "More Accidents"?
Old 07-12-2005, 09:09 PM
Suzuka Master

I'm undecided between the RL and M45 sport. I am leaning towards the M45 sport, but since I'll be going back to biz school, the RL would be a smarter choice.

if the '06 RL has at least cooled seats and backup cam, that would probably sway my decision.

If the '06 RL has better 18 or 19" rims, better acceleration, and adaptive cruise control in addition to the above, I'd be all over it.

But right now, for me the only thing the RL has going for it is strong value.
Old 07-12-2005, 09:31 PM
Burning Brakes

I'm undecided between the RL and M45 sport. I am leaning towards the M45 sport, but since I'll be going back to biz school, the RL would be a smarter choice.

if the '06 RL has at least cooled seats and backup cam, that would probably sway my decision.

If the '06 RL has better 18 or 19" rims, better acceleration, and adaptive cruise control in addition to the above, I'd be all over it.

But right now, for me the only thing the RL has going for it is strong value.
I'd probably wait if you're headed back to school.... Unless you are getting 100% paid tuition through the company you work for, Masters can be prohibitively expensive (only thing holding me back).

As for the M45, with the Journey and Technology Package your looking atleast at $56,000..... You might swing $1500 off (local dealer offered this)....so $54500.
Old 07-12-2005, 11:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by gbriank
I'd probably wait if you're headed back to school.... Unless you are getting 100% paid tuition through the company you work for, Masters can be prohibitively expensive (only thing holding me back).

As for the M45, with the Journey and Technology Package your looking atleast at $56,000..... You might swing $1500 off (local dealer offered this)....so $54500.
I've been over at the freshalloy site and some have been gettin m45's for $1000 over invoice in NE pa/nj area (where I currently reside).

My company does tuition reimbursement but only to local colleges on a part time basis, and I'm planning on leaving the area (hoping to go to McCombs at UTA) to go full time. I have some rental property producing income and a lot of money saved up, so I can afford to get an M45 and go to school, but with the RL I would have a little more cash on hand while in school.

I have to take extended test drives of both when I get back from China-land. But I still have my heart set on the M45 but my mind tells me the RL is a more sensible choice.
Old 07-12-2005, 11:08 PM
Burning Brakes

I've been over at the freshalloy site and some have been gettin m45's for $1000 over invoice in NE pa/nj area (where I currently reside).

My company does tuition reimbursement but only to local colleges on a part time basis, and I'm planning on leaving the area (hoping to go to McCombs at UTA) to go full time. I have some rental property producing income and a lot of money saved up, so I can afford to get an M45 and go to school, but with the RL I would have a little more cash on hand while in school.

I have to take extended test drives of both when I get back from China-land. But I still have my heart set on the M45 but my mind tells me the RL is a more sensible choice.
Interesting....car sales must really suck for foreign makes right now. Sewell (here in Dallas) is willing to come 1500 off sticker...no more. Overall, the RL will save you money....not only on the overall payment, insurance, but have you checked out what Nissan V8's are getting fuel economy wise? Not to mention, $2.40 gallon for premium is common here in Dallas. Austin is usually a few cents more expensive.

Where in China are you?
Old 07-13-2005, 12:23 AM
Suzuka Master

I'm in Tongling, a medium sized city (they have a Mcdonalds and KFC) about 4hrs from Nanjing, which is a pretty damn decent city (I was there 2 years ago for 3 months also). Been here for 3 months now but probably leaving the end of this month for a LONG vacation.

I think the m45 deals are selling slow in the snowy regions. Not only would it cost more for gas, but I would have to invest in a set of snow tires or keep my current car (cl-s) as a winter driver. I think car sales suck right now because of all the incentives that the domestic brands have. People who would normally consider foreign makes are considering domestics just because price is so good.

With the RL, I wouldn't have to worry about a winter car. As for TX, I have a '67 ford fairlane that I'm gonna pimp out to drive while down there since I split my time in the U.S. between San Antonio and PA.

so financially, the RL is the much better deal (cheaper, no need for snow tires, no need for a beater car, slightly better mileage). But I don't want to end up regretting "settling" for my second choice.
Old 07-13-2005, 12:34 AM
Burning Brakes

I'm in Tongling, a medium sized city (they have a Mcdonalds and KFC) about 4hrs from Nanjing, which is a pretty damn decent city (I was there 2 years ago for 3 months also). Been here for 3 months now but probably leaving the end of this month for a LONG vacation.

I think the m45 deals are selling slow in the snowy regions. Not only would it cost more for gas, but I would have to invest in a set of snow tires or keep my current car (cl-s) as a winter driver. I think car sales suck right now because of all the incentives that the domestic brands have. People who would normally consider foreign makes are considering domestics just because price is so good.

With the RL, I wouldn't have to worry about a winter car. As for TX, I have a '67 ford fairlane that I'm gonna pimp out to drive while down there since I split my time in the U.S. between San Antonio and PA.

so financially, the RL is the much better deal (cheaper, no need for snow tires, no need for a beater car, slightly better mileage). But I don't want to end up regretting "settling" for my second choice.
Ahhh yes, the dreaded "buyer's remorse". I'd wait 'till you get back to the states to decide. Drive the heck out of both....then make up your mind.