AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   2G RL (2005-2012) (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rl-2005-2012-76/)
-   -   What did you do to your RL today (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rl-2005-2012-76/what-did-you-do-your-rl-today-960464/)

old_legend_guy 07-15-2017 03:01 PM

What did you do to your RL today

I have seen this on other forums...
I will start off...
Hooked up a Jet Tech FM transmitter - Works good
Put 2 new front rotors on and did a drain and fill of the trans fluid.

rlx015 07-15-2017 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by old_legend_guy (Post 16058457)
I will start off...
Put 2 new front rotors on and did a drain and fill of the trans fluid.

Are you asking about today today? If so, I opened the passenger door to get my sunglasses, and closed them :)

AZAEEC 07-15-2017 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by rl015 (Post 16058464)
Are you asking about today today? If so, I opened the passenger door to get my sunglasses, and closed them :)

lol thats messed up man

Rob144 07-23-2017 12:57 PM

Replaced the driver's armrest with a new OEM armrest. Many, many screws to remove once the panel is popped.

(Last week replaced the glovebox, and then put a pad over the hole in my driver's floormat).

Will probably wash it today. And vacuum.

-R-

rlx015 07-23-2017 07:50 PM

I'll throw few things I did lately :)

Installed Dashcam VOIFO A119s v2 and hid the wire, satisfied so far...
Installed microphone and hid the wire as well for BT45-ACU... resulting in static I was not able to get rid of. Not sure if it is the quality of the wire and mice OR interference by garage door opener perhaps...

projektvertx 07-23-2017 08:52 PM

I always like these threads, they are nice places for some friendly conversation and members usually get to know each other on a more personal level. I'll go ahead and sticky it.

old_legend_guy 07-24-2017 08:47 AM

New rotors and pads on the rear this weekend, no more pulsating pedal, much much better.

old_legend_guy 07-24-2017 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Rob144 (Post 16063350)
Replaced the driver's armrest with a new OEM armrest. Many, many screws to remove once the panel is popped.

-R-

Surprised they still offer these, thinking about getting some to stash for when mine get bad, just starting to wrinkle but are not cracked.

Rob where did you get these and how much were they?

projektvertx 07-24-2017 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by old_legend_guy (Post 16063703)
New rotors and pads on the rear this weekend, no more pulsating pedal, much much better.

What combo did you choose to go with? I'd change the brake fluid too. I just did mine about a month ago? And even though it was only 2 years old and had 12k miles on it, it still came out dirty. I also have a much better pedal feel.

Rob144 07-24-2017 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by old_legend_guy (Post 16063706)
Surprised they still offer these, thinking about getting some to stash for when mine get bad, just starting to wrinkle but are not cracked.

Rob where did you get these and how much were they?

I ended up getting each from a place called AcuraPartsWarehouse. The glovebox assembly was in the four large neighborhood, which is as ridiculous as it is painful. But my dealer couldn't come close on the glovebox assembly and wanted nearly $300 for installation. Every now and then one appeared on ebay for about $200 or more, but always showing signs of the problem; plus one couldn't be sure if it was from a smoker's car, or had some other problem. So, it became worth it to go for a new one and install it myself.

The armrest was about $85. There's a youtube video of someone replacing just the armrest cover on the passenger side of their RL (about $40 for a pair of covers on ebay), but I thought it was worth the extra money not to have to peel off the old cover and glue/cut the replacement so I went for a the whole armrest unit instead to save time and not risk messing it up. If you're patient and industrious it might be worth it to go the cover route. I also couldn't be sure that flattened foam under a new cover wouldn't start to look bad or show over time.

After patching the hole in my floor mat, I figure I spent about $500 to restore my interior to almost new condition (and stop thinking about new cars).

old_legend_guy 07-24-2017 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by projektvertx (Post 16063708)
What combo did you choose to go with? I'd change the brake fluid too. I just did mine about a month ago? And even though it was only 2 years old and had 12k miles on it, it still came out dirty. I also have a much better pedal feel.

I got Raybestos rotor off Ebay $150 for all 4, the pads I got at Autozone, was in a pinch on the rear pads
because they fell apart when I took the rear calipers off and to get them the same day.
Luckily I had another car to get to the parts store.

Walfunk 08-05-2017 09:54 PM

Tinted the windows 20% all over. Looks great and really keeps the heat down. Did an inside/outside wash, wax, and vac. Car looks great, loving it. Oil change tomorrow.

projektvertx 08-05-2017 10:13 PM

^Nice! Ceramic tint or regular? Pics?

Walfunk 08-05-2017 10:18 PM

[QUOTE=old_legend_guy;16058457]I have seen this on other forums...
I will start off...

I'm about to pull the trigger on the transmitter, haven't had much success with these things but the reviews seem to say that this is the best one.

Walfunk 08-05-2017 10:23 PM

@projektvertx regular. Got it from Rvinyl. It was precut for the RL, high quality tint. Looks great.

Walfunk 08-05-2017 10:38 PM

Will get some pics tomorrow. @projektvertx Oh, and polished up the headlights. They really get cloudy fast.

old_legend_guy 08-06-2017 08:07 AM

[QUOTE=Walfunk;16071461]

Originally Posted by old_legend_guy (Post 16058457)
I will start off...

I'm about to pull the trigger on the transmitter, haven't had much success with these things but the reviews seem to say that this is the best one.

There is static when music isn't playing, but for the price it will do for now.

Walfunk 08-06-2017 11:35 AM

do you get static when the engine is off as well? (accessory mode)

PantherDan 08-07-2017 02:36 PM

Hey Rob, new (to me) 2006 RL owner here. The center armrest is in rough shape, and I see where I can purchase the leather covers for some DIY, but I'd just as soon replace them altogether. Any idea what the part # would be? All I can find is the part number for the entire armrest assembly, with the shocking price tag to go with it. I like the $85 you mentioned. I'm specifically looking for the light tan color. Thanks, Dan

Rob144 08-07-2017 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by PantherDan (Post 16072343)
Hey Rob, new (to me) 2006 RL owner here. The center armrest is in rough shape, and I see where I can purchase the leather covers for some DIY, but I'd just as soon replace them altogether. Any idea what the part # would be? All I can find is the part number for the entire armrest assembly, with the shocking price tag to go with it. I like the $85 you mentioned. I'm specifically looking for the light tan color. Thanks, Dan

Dan, I'm not much help on that one because I only worked on the driver's door armrest. Back when the car was still under warranty, my center armrest went bad quickly enough that the dealer replaced it. I think there's some links here in the RL forum that probably have some ideas on the center armrest if not some high-level instructions. That would be one where I'd think the replacement covers would be low cost place start (with the necessary research to see how the console tops can be disassembled combined with your own comfort level on disassembling things in your new-to-you car).

Walfunk 08-07-2017 08:57 PM

@oldlegendguy! Rec'd the FM transmitter today and I must say I am very satisfied with the performance. I have NEVER had luck with these things; either a lot of static\interference or weak output. This one works superbly. A lot cheaper than having to get one of those USA Spec or Grom boxes and zero install issues. Now I can hear my music and podcasts via my phone once again. Thanks for creating this thread or I would have never considered it! I'm using 88.3 btw (maryland,de,pa areas)

PantherDan 08-08-2017 04:46 AM

Armrest

Originally Posted by Rob144 (Post 16072405)
Dan, I'm not much help on that one because I only worked on the driver's door armrest. Back when the car was still under warranty, my center armrest went bad quickly enough that the dealer replaced it. I think there's some links here in the RL forum that probably have some ideas on the center armrest if not some high-level instructions. That would be one where I'd think the replacement covers would be low cost place start (with the necessary research to see how the console tops can be disassembled combined with your own comfort level on disassembling things in your new-to-you car).

thanks. Looks like I'll be doing some reupholstering myself. Looked easy enough and I've recovered some chairs in the past. No big deal.

projektvertx 08-08-2017 02:55 PM

Changed my cabin air filter today... I'm always surprised how dirty it gets in a year. Anyone else have a cabin air filter that gets dirty in a short period of time on this car? No dirt roads at all, and every other vehicle in the household that has cabin air filters does NOT get this dirty lol

Rob144 08-08-2017 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by projektvertx (Post 16073138)
Changed my cabin air filter today... I'm always surprised how dirty it gets in a year. Anyone else have a cabin air filter that gets dirty in a short period of time on this car? No dirt roads at all, and every other vehicle in the household that has cabin air filters does NOT get this dirty lol

The superior aerodynamics and conscientious engineering of the RL ensures that only properly and well-filtered air makes it into the cabin. Those other cars are probably cheating! :)

LS1SSChris 08-08-2017 08:03 PM

Used Poorboys World Wipe & Spray Waterless Wash + Blackfire Midnight Sun Instant Detailer to get this thing clean after all the rain we got yesterday.
https://preview.ibb.co/ifenBa/IMG_4435.jpg
https://preview.ibb.co/iVo3jv/IMG_4433.jpg

Followed my brother in his '98 LS400 to a local car meet and had a pretty good time, we got out on the highway and did a few pulls from different speeds, it seems that his car is faster than the RL, my car didn't get left badly but he clearly had the edge, his car is lighter and has more torque so I'm not surprised. His car is bone stock "performance" wise other than a K&N air filter and resonator deletes.

RL09 08-09-2017 09:17 AM

Ask not...

GaRaS 08-24-2017 02:22 PM

Condenser Cleaning

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...8be229ca5f.jpg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...ec2a0e5c2c.jpg
Decided to clean my AC condenser today, it was filthy dirty. Copying what eric the car guy did.

projektvertx 08-25-2017 09:31 AM

Did the snow cannon come with the nu brite?

GaRaS 08-26-2017 12:07 PM

The nucalgon coil gun was purchased separately. Extremely satisfied doing this, My AC cools faster.

Originally Posted by projektvertx (Post 16083730)
Did the snow cannon come with the nu brite?

nicolaspal 08-31-2017 09:35 PM

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m...psdkjxr8f0.jpg
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m...ps6xnryedv.jpg
hey guys
i picked up my kb1 recently after owning 3 ka9's. its good over all, I got some maintenance to take care of but its going well!
got myself 4g TL wheels as well.

projektvertx 09-02-2017 08:12 AM

I would recommend using a different image hosting site as Photobucket is no longer allowing third party hosting :thumbsup:

old_legend_guy 09-10-2017 10:54 AM

Debating whether or not to pony up $175 for a trunk lid with a factory spoiler, it's the same color.
Hmmm worried there might be scratches or dings, it's at a junk yard so I don't think I can look at it
before I purchase it.

Walfunk 09-10-2017 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by old_legend_guy (Post 16091731)
Debating whether or not to pony up $175 for a trunk lid with a factory spoiler, it's the same color.
Hmmm worried there might be scratches or dings, it's at a junk yard so I don't think I can look at it
before I purchase it.

Its probably gonna be dinged/scratched up but may just need a good wash/claybar/polish/wax....... Im looking for a decklid spoiler as well but the cheapest I'm finding is like $300ish painted...

Oh, what did I do to my RL today? Just tried to change the oil but it looks like the bolt is rounded. gonna havta to get it up on a lift, get it out and replace it. Any hints on getting out a stripped bolt?

projektvertx 09-10-2017 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by old_legend_guy (Post 16091731)
before I purchase it.

I feel like 175$ for a used spoiler is a lot, no?

I installed morimoto motoho1ders on my retrofit. Also bought a new pipe to connect the airbox and the throttle. I bought a new driver door armrest, but it's from Delray Acura. It looks like it didn't make it out before Irma, so USPS delayed the shipment. Praying the people of South Florida stay safe!!!

old_legend_guy 09-11-2017 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by projektvertx (Post 16091838)
I feel like 175$ for a used spoiler is a lot, no?

It is the whole trunk lid with spoiler, beauty of this lid is the spoiler is already mounted and it's the same color
as my car. Tempting.

Walfunk 09-11-2017 08:00 AM

Very. You get a chance to see it yet?

projektvertx 09-11-2017 09:47 AM

Scratch that, that's a good deal then. I was under the impression it was for just the deck lid spoiler, not the whole deck lid with the spoiler lol. Good deal, I'd check it out! Worst case scenario you can pull the spoiler off and sell the deck lid, or get scrap metal value for it.

Walfunk 09-11-2017 07:09 PM

Yessss!

1 Attachment(s)
I installed my wood gear shift! Thanks a million to MayorMcCheese. Now a wood steering wheel and a decklid spoiler and i'm happy! If anyone is selling, please let me know!

projektvertx 09-11-2017 08:26 PM

^I'm glad that worked out!

Walfunk 09-12-2017 06:36 AM

^ @projektvertx yes it did. Thanks for closing the original thread, lol! Thanks again to @mayormccheese as well.

HDNBenjamin 09-13-2017 01:52 AM

looks good. considering one myself.

Walfunk 09-17-2017 08:48 PM

Changed my oil and replaced oil pan bolt

projektvertx 09-17-2017 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by Walfunk (Post 16096129)
Changed my oil and replaced oil pan bolt

Any particular reason you replaced it? That's usually a lifetime item, no?

I changed the driver door leather armrest as it was bubbling. I also applied some rubber seal rejuvenator to all the seals in around the door ain't windows. This car is rubber seal galore hahaha

cidvanski 09-17-2017 09:14 PM

I replaced all 4 tires today, but now I need to get my struts replaced 😕

Walfunk 09-20-2017 10:28 AM

[QUOTE=projektvertx;16096131]Any particular reason you replaced it? That's usually a lifetime item, no?

Seems previous owner rounded the bolt pretty good. I tried everything to get it off even one of those sockets that are supposed to grip anything and nada. Took it to Pep Boys (last resort because I like to change my oil myself, heard horror stories) and they had a tough time getting it off as well. They said it wasn't that it was torqued on too tight, it was that the bolt was rounded so much. Just had them change the oil and put in a new plug. They used Penzoil semi-synthetic and a Puralator One filter that I supplied. Will change back to Castrol next oil change.

projektvertx 09-21-2017 08:09 PM

[QUOTE=Walfunk;16097990]

Originally Posted by projektvertx (Post 16096131)
Any particular reason you replaced it? That's usually a lifetime item, no?

Seems previous owner rounded the bolt pretty good. I tried everything to get it off even one of those sockets that are supposed to grip anything and nada. Took it to Pep Boys (last resort because I like to change my oil myself, heard horror stories) and they had a tough time getting it off as well. They said it wasn't that it was torqued on too tight, it was that the bolt was rounded so much. Just had them change the oil and put in a new plug. They used Penzoil semi-synthetic and a Puralator One filter that I supplied. Will change back to Castrol next oil change.

Gotcha, that makes sense. My dad had a horror story happen with him with his oil drain plug at a Honda dealer the one time he gave it to them for an oil change so I know what you mean lol

HDNBenjamin 09-23-2017 05:09 PM

Changed the oil and oil filter today with Mobil 1 synthetic oil $12 + Wix oil filter $6 + washer $.45 = $18.45 for an oil change and knowing the job was done right. I couldn't break open the Transfer Case fill bolt with my 3/8 drive, so going to buy a breaker bar and hopefully get that job done soon.

projektvertx 09-24-2017 08:23 PM

How did you get such a heavy discount? The heaviest discounted rate I'm able to get is 15$ for 5 quarts of Mobil1 synthetic lol

HDNBenjamin 09-24-2017 08:50 PM

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...435973d60b.jpgGot a breaker bar so was able to finish the transfer case fluid change today.

Regarding the discount, Mobil 1 has a rebate and Walmart has it on sale.
has 5-Quart Mobil 1 Full Synthetic Motor Oil (Various Grades) on sale for $22.88 - $12 Rebate = $10.88
5-Quart Mobil 1 Full Synthetic Motor Oil (Various Grades) $10.90 after $12 Rebate + Free Store Pickup
https://slickdeals.net/share/android_app/fp/318636

Walfunk 09-24-2017 09:31 PM

Putting these on after the game tonight

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 91772

zrowny 09-25-2017 04:22 PM

I've had this ugly crack/hole in my bumper ever since I bought this RL about a month ago:
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...3e9f9bca12.jpg

No idea what happened, but it's pretty small so this weekend I went to work trying to use some bodyfill to fix it up:
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...20393d2329.jpg

Some primer on after sanding the bodyfill smooth:
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...d76ddafd8a.jpg

Oh damn I got the wrong paint color:
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...1f310ca144.jpg

I kind of expected this. My RL has "Desert Mist Metallic" paint. Duplicolor doesn't seem to produce this color anymore, and Honda seems to be using "Naples Gold" now which looks nearly identical, so I assumed there was a chance they just renamed the color for some reason. Oh well. I ordered some new paint online in the right color and I'll redo everything this weekend. For now I still think it looks better than that horrible hole.

Rob144 09-25-2017 04:31 PM

Had an upholsterer replace the three segments of driver's seat leather on the bottom cushion due to a hole in the leather.

projektvertx 09-25-2017 07:30 PM

I popped in a 2017 navigation disk today!

Originally Posted by zrowny (Post 16101194)
I've had this ugly crack/hole in my bumper ever since I bought this RL about a month ago:
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...3e9f9bca12.jpg

No idea what happened, but it's pretty small so this weekend I went to work trying to use some bodyfill to fix it up:
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...20393d2329.jpg

Some primer on after sanding the bodyfill smooth:
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...d76ddafd8a.jpg

Oh damn I got the wrong paint color:
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...1f310ca144.jpg

I kind of expected this. My RL has "Desert Mist Metallic" paint. Duplicolor doesn't seem to produce this color anymore, and Honda seems to be using "Naples Gold" now which looks nearly identical, so I assumed there was a chance they just renamed the color for some reason. Oh well. I ordered some new paint online in the right color and I'll redo everything this weekend. For now I still think it looks better than that horrible hole.

Good work!!! Hopefully the new color matches when you order it!!

Originally Posted by Rob144 (Post 16101200)
Had an upholsterer replace the three segments of driver's seat leather on the bottom cushion due to a hole in the leather.

Originally Posted by HDNBenjamin (Post 16100720)
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...435973d60b.jpgGot a breaker bar so was able to finish the transfer case fluid change today.

Regarding the discount, Mobil 1 has a rebate and Walmart has it on sale.
has 5-Quart Mobil 1 Full Synthetic Motor Oil (Various Grades) on sale for $22.88 - $12 Rebate = $10.88
5-Quart Mobil 1 Full Synthetic Motor Oil (Various Grades) $10.90 after $12 Rebate + Free Store Pickup
https://slickdeals.net/share/android_app/fp/318636

Ahh yes I remember that discount!

Originally Posted by Walfunk (Post 16100731)

What was the cost? i'd love to see these installed.

Duce26 09-27-2017 05:53 AM

New Purchase/New Member

Hey y’all. Finally got a my hands on an 05 RL with 130k miles almost a month ago. So glad I didn’t go with the E320. So far I have gotten the starter and power steering replaced. At the moment she’s at the shop again to replace the valve and cam gaskets. Should be picking it up from the shop today. I want to change the spark plugs myself when I get her back. Any idea which ones are better? Acura has two to offer. Thanks y’all!

Mark Anthony

projektvertx 09-27-2017 06:23 AM

Welcome!! I opted for NGK plugs from advanced auto. They rand up at almost 50$ but with the coupons they have I remember paying about 35$