What to buy that is comparable to the RL??

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 12:39 PM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 427 Posts
I actually kind of like the new Lincoln MKZ. The MKT looks like an oddly proportioned hearse though. If I were going to go American I would get a Cadillac CTS.
Old 11-06-2013, 01:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,245 Likes on 4,856 Posts
Originally Posted by s2gordon
I've been on the flex/MKT forums and there are a few owners that have done the tune, intake, exhaust and are pushing over 400 hp. I've thought of at least getting the tune done, perhaps when my wife goes out of town for a week. I'll get it tuned and just not 'mention' it to her.
The Flex Ecoboost with a tune is the ultimate sleeper. That thing can haul ass and groceries at the same time.

Originally Posted by BDoggPrelude
I actually kind of like the new Lincoln MKZ. The MKT looks like an oddly proportioned hearse though. If I were going to go American I would get a Cadillac CTS.
You think the MMC and RLX styling is bad, but the MKZ isn't? I'm starting to wonder about you...

Last edited by oo7spy; 11-06-2013 at 01:18 PM.
Old 11-06-2013, 02:20 PM
Drifting

Lol. I hate the stupid beak on the MMC RL. It just looks terrible. The MKZ is a significantly better looking car than the RLX in my book. At least it doesn't just completely blend in with the crowd. I would say my top 3 best looking sedans on the road are, in no particular order:

1-Tesla Model S
2-BMW 6-Series Gran Coupe
3-Audi A7

^^^This list is subject to change.

There are a ton of vehicles that would tie for 4th place in my book. I love the Benz CLS when it first debuted but am not nearly as fond of the new generation CLS. I left off the Maserati Quattroporte and Aston Martin Rapide because they are just in a completely different league and are not vehicles that you will typically see in person very much.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:22 PM
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by bdoggprelude
lexus gs350.
+1
Old 11-06-2013, 05:44 PM
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
My neighbor recently bought a BMW 6 Series Gran Coupe and has had a lot of problems with it including needing a new computer after 2 weeks. Also needed a new battery after a month. Looks very cool and is very fast. Is small inside.
Old 11-07-2013, 02:37 PM
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
RL015 Yet another Model S fire today for Tesla.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:57 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by 06RL/NBP
RL015 Yet another Model S fire today for Tesla.
Yup. Third Model S fire in 6 weeks. Something is up. Like I said before, I wouldn't get a Tesla until they work through their growing pains. They are going to be a great car company but, like they say, Rome wasn't built in a day.
Old 11-08-2013, 03:17 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would check out the new Infiniti Q50.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 208 Likes on 167 Posts
I have a 2006 non-tech, and the truth is our toys aren't that novel anymore by new car standards. They came out 8 years ago, and most of them have bled down to lower price classes: Bluetooth, active noise cancellation, xenons (though not xenons that turn), good stereos, etc. And a lot of the toys have moved far beyond ours: nav is better, web connectivity and iPod capability missed our generation almost entirely, lane departure and active-cruise systems were just starting on the tech package in our cars, etc.

I'm not a fan of spending for spending's sake. Checked out the new Accord Touring V6? Most of our stuff is there, including more acceleration than our cars. I've heard a lot of people put it forward as a luxury sedan alternative.

One other thing: I haven't given up on the upcoming TLX. The Accord is so good, and has plenty of power. I expect Honda to do a premium-gas version of the V6 again and return the styling to something closer to the 2003-08 TL, which would be a very welcome change. Honda knows the TL/X is the franchise for Acura on the sedan side. I expect their recent return to form to continue with this car.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:00 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by TonyCD
I have a 2006 non-tech, and the truth is our toys aren't that novel anymore by new car standards. They came out 8 years ago, and most of them have bled down to lower price classes: Bluetooth, active noise cancellation, xenons (though not xenons that turn), good stereos, etc. And a lot of the toys have moved far beyond ours: nav is better, web connectivity and iPod capability missed our generation almost entirely, lane departure and active-cruise systems were just starting on the tech package in our cars, etc.

I'm not a fan of spending for spending's sake. Checked out the new Accord Touring V6? Most of our stuff is there, including more acceleration than our cars. I've heard a lot of people put it forward as a luxury sedan alternative.

One other thing: I haven't given up on the upcoming TLX. The Accord is so good, and has plenty of power. I expect Honda to do a premium-gas version of the V6 again and return the styling to something closer to the 2003-08 TL, which would be a very welcome change. Honda knows the TL/X is the franchise for Acura on the sedan side. I expect their recent return to form to continue with this car.
Agreed 100% about the toys and gizmos trickling down. They are not the high end features they used to be.

My parents bought a 2013 Accord Touring. It is really nice. Pretty much has 95% of the RLX's goodies at about half the price. It really is a solid choice at that price point. That being said, it does not have anywhere near the premium feeling that a new RLX, (or even my 2006 RL), has. Everything in an RL/RLX is just tighter fitting, more plush, smoother in operation, better engineered, etc.

As for the TLX, I wouldn't hold your breath on the styling thing. It is going to look like a cross between the current TL and the RLX. I hope like crazy I'm wrong, but that's just Acura for you. There have already been spy shots of the test cars in camo. Judging by those shots, it is going to be much the same as what we've seen from Acura over the last 5 years.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BDoggPrelude
My parents bought a 2013 Accord Touring. It is really nice. Pretty much has 95% of the RLX's goodies at about half the price. It really is a solid choice at that price point. That being said, it does not have anywhere near the premium feeling that a new RLX, (or even my 2006 RL), has. Everything in an RL/RLX is just tighter fitting, more plush, smoother in operation, better engineered, etc.
Good to know about the premium feel. I was wondering about that, having not driven the new Accord myself. It's really hard to quantify, but it's one of my favorite things about the RL.
Old 11-09-2013, 07:07 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I test drove the 2013 Accord V6 and it was a nice car but I have to agree that it was lacking in the premium feel. The suspension system in the Accord was not nearly as smooth as the RL and no SH-AWD either.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:46 AM
Senior Moderator

While the Accord has many similar systems, the largest difference is that they are passive versus the active systems in the RLX. RLX owners boast that their cars practically drive themselves. On the other hand, the Accord simply warns you when you aren't driving to its liking. Like BDogg touched on, the Accord is a great car and great value, but it lacks the features that make a car luxurious.
Old 11-11-2013, 11:03 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by oo7spy
While the Accord has many similar systems, the largest difference is that they are passive versus the active systems in the RLX. RLX owners boast that their cars practically drive themselves. On the other hand, the Accord simply warns you when you aren't driving to its liking. Like BDogg touched on, the Accord is a great car and great value, but it lacks the features that make a car luxurious.
The RLX lacks them, too. Like, for example, leather seats.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Meh. If it isn't Italian, it doesn't really matter to me. The manufactured "leather" breathes better and cleans easier. Let's keep in mind that the majority of German cars don't have real leather. Maybe you have a better example?
Old 11-12-2013, 04:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Returning to the name of this thread, it's interesting that nobody has mentioned the one car that's probably the most comparable car on the market to the RL on paper: the Infiniti M37x.

Similar price, size and equipment, V6, AWD. Japanese luxury badge but lacking the badge value of Lexus. Disappointing seller that's depreciated heavily despite a good reliability record.

Although I will say this: They're a lot more similar on paper and in the showroom than when you get them out on the road. I was really disappointed when I drove the M -- it seems loud, crude and juvenile compared to the RL.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:41 PM
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by shinydogg
Thanks for all the replies!

I absolutely love the A8 but I dont think I could buy anything but the new body style because it is so sexy, therefore I think that might be out of my price range.

As far as the other German cars, I just have never been a fan of the interior design of BMWs and most Mercs. Not to mention the friends I have that I see driving loaners all the time because the Beemer is getting repaired.

I have researched the Genesis and the R-Spec sounds like a bargain with all the features (and 427 HP) but I have not had a chance to test drive one. I hear the build quality is good initially but the squeaks and rattles rear their ugly head soon after. I may test drive a new one and then one that is a couple years old to compare.

The Tesla is a sweet car but I frequently drive interstate to attend meeting and the whole electric charging station phenomenon has not quite made its way to North Carolina.

Now to the GS. I really like the current GS with the F-Sport package and this is definitely a contender. I guess I am spoiled with all the standard features of the RL and it burns me up to get price raped by option packages that can quickly bump the price by 10k.

Now for the Heavy suggested CTS. This car could make me go to a coupe. There was a matte silver CTS-V coupe parked at my office the other day and I would have whipped the checkbook out right there. Just a modern day Batmobile. I have driven a CTS a couple of years ago and was not blown away by anything in the car. Just didn't have the WOW factor in the base model.

And the RLX *sigh*.
I just cant fall in love with it. I signed up and the dealer called me as soon as they got one in. It didn't feel like the RL I had wanted it to be. I expected in 8 years they would release another revolutionary vehicle, but it wasn't IMO. The headlights were cool and the touchscreen was neat. I passed on the 4 wheel steering when I bought my 93 Prelude VTEC, why are you trying to sell it to me again in 2013? The interior was just okay and the exterior styling was, well, very forgettable. Maybe I was expecting a Acura Spaceship to blow me away like it did in 2005 with features that made you say "it does WHAT?!?!?"

I guess I have always had incredibly reliable Hondas and Acuras over the years. Its hard to "jump ship" to a competitor. Not to mention I have friends that work at Honda shops so all my parts and service was a fraction of the price. The reason for the car hunt is that my RL is getting up around 150k miles and I dont want to have to replace a engine or tranny that will cost me nearly half the value of the car.

I think I will drive a few Genesis examples and maybe stop by the Lexus dealership and give the GS a spin. I might even stop in to the Caddy dealership but I am afraid if I get in a CTS-V, I might make a decision that would make my insurance company celebrate.

Thanks for the advice, I knew you guys would help out!
4WS is utterly brilliant for FWD, but it's retrograde after torque-vectored 4WD.

So is any RWD barge, probably.

IIWY, I'd try the RLX eSH-AWD (AKA The Acura Electric Six) when it arrives soon-ish. Doesn't help the frumpy styling or the confusing interior.

Late-model RL?
Old 11-13-2013, 02:42 AM
Drifting

Returning to the name of this thread, it's interesting that nobody has mentioned the one car that's probably the most comparable car on the market to the RL on paper: the Infiniti M37x.

Similar price, size and equipment, V6, AWD. Japanese luxury badge but lacking the badge value of Lexus. Disappointing seller that's depreciated heavily despite a good reliability record.

Although I will say this: They're a lot more similar on paper and in the showroom than when you get them out on the road. I was really disappointed when I drove the M -- it seems loud, crude and juvenile compared to the RL.
Infiniti is just not on par with Acura in terms of build quality, I don't care what anybody says.

An M37x actually starts at $1k more than a Lexus GS350AWD. No wonder they don't sell them at all. No comparison between those two vehicles. The M may have a bit more power but its advantages end there. The Lexus has more features, is more luxurious, most would agree it is better looking and will hold up much better down the road.

I can see why some people would choose an RLX over a GS350. Some people really just like FWD and the RLX is loaded to the gills with all the tech features you can imagine. For the life of me though, I cannot fathom how somebody could possibly buy an Infiniti M over a Lexus GS.
The following users liked this post:
HEAVY_RL (11-13-2013)