Well after 19 years of owning Acuras...

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 05:44 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Well after 19 years of owning Acuras...

I finally left the brand. I traded in my beloved '06 Acura RL for a 2012 AWD Premium Coupe. If the Caddy even comes close to giving me the service of my RL I'll be thrilled.

My RL was nearing 100K miles. I had a blown left front speaker (not really a biggie) and I had the timing belt and brakes were just around the corner. Either I was going to spend some serious money and drive it into the ground, or get out of it while it still had some value.

Dealer gave me $13K for the RL. Got the CTS for $48K ($52K MSRP). I would've loved to continue on with Acura, but their styling has left me cold. I fell in love with the CTS Coupe the day I saw it.

The CTS does have a firmer ride. Acceleration seems comparable, but I haven't really gotten on it yet. The Navi is definitely a step down.

I will probably still lurk. I
Old 03-09-2012, 05:46 PM

Here are pictures of the new ride.
Attached Thumbnails Well after 19 years of owning Acuras...-img_4030b.jpg   Well after 19 years of owning Acuras...-img_4029b.jpg   Well after 19 years of owning Acuras...-img_4031b.jpg   Well after 19 years of owning Acuras...-img_4028b.jpg  
Old 03-09-2012, 06:15 PM
Alpha Geek

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
That is a nice looking ride...CONGRATS! I don't blame you one bit...I also have an '06 RL with 100300, so it's time for doing the timing belt or trading it.

Also like you, I have owned Acuras for many years(23) first one was a 89 Integra LS, and once again like you, the styling has left me DISGUSTED.

Enjoy the Caddy!
Old 03-09-2012, 06:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,246 Likes on 4,857 Posts
I always wondered how hard it is to see out of that car. What's your take? I think the butt is atrocious, but since you think the beak is, we can agree to disagree. Good luck with the ride. I am interested to hear comments on the interior quality/appearance comparison.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:41 PM
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts
The only thing I would trade my RL for would be a white ZDX, keeping budget n cost in mind. Congrats on the new ride, looks nice. Btw, wuts that thing hanging from the windshield behind the nav screen ?

Last edited by M T L T L; 03-09-2012 at 07:44 PM.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:55 PM
2020 Acura RLX Advance

Received 178 Likes on 100 Posts
Enjoy. That is one hell of a sharp automobile.

I lived in that area for 10 years.....I see you refrained from the "Don Massey" bling bling package.......It was so rare to see a "stock Caddy" that had not been dolled up to the max with dealer add ons when I lived there in the '90s. What a refreshing change!

Ed
Old 03-09-2012, 09:15 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by M T L T L
The only thing I would trade my RL for would be a white ZDX, keeping budget n cost in mind. Congrats on the new ride, looks nice. Btw, wuts that thing hanging from the windshield behind the nav screen ?
Radar detector
The following users liked this post:
oo7spy (03-09-2012)
Old 03-09-2012, 10:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 209 Likes on 168 Posts
Originally Posted by GoHawks
I finally left the brand. I traded in my beloved '06 Acura RL for a 2012 AWD Premium Coupe. If the Caddy even comes close to giving me the service of my RL I'll be thrilled.
Congratulations! You've got a beautiful car there, inside and out. I'm really impressed by both the exterior styling and the interior materials of the CTS. I think it's easily the most tasteful Cadillac in my lifetime, and like you, I hope the reliability delivers for you.

Keep us posted!
Old 03-10-2012, 04:51 AM

Thanks for the positive comments guys. I'll try answering some of the questions.

The radar detector is on the windshield. The dealer was closing when I took delivery so they said they would remove the radar detector wiring from my RL. I'll eventually hardwire it into the car

As for the butt of the car, I guess to each his own, that's what I love about this car.

Visibility - I won't lie, it's a little challenging, but not terrible. We have a three car garage. I park in the middle, between the Land Cruiser and the Mustang. I have to back in, all the while making sure I don't sideswipe the LC, the side of the garage, and the Mustang in the other bay. It's a tight fit and ir intimidates my wife. Between the backup camera, the side side view mirrors and the backup sensors, it seems to not be so bad. The roof has a deep slope, and it is a coupe after all so I expected visibility would be more of a challenge.

Fit and finish so far seem to be on par with Acura, but the car only has 400 miles on her so far. LOL. Gaps are tight. The dash materials actually are a bit richer looking than Acura (not by much though). Seats look and feel nice, and no squeaks or rattles. The test will see how she holds up over time.

As for add-ons, not much is planned. I thought of upgrading the wheels, but the ones on there don't look so bad. I will get the windows tinted. I always do that and I think it will compliment the car.

Infotainment - there's a lot to learn here. I thought I might be taking a step back on the tech, but I don't think so. It just doesn't seem as intuitive at first glance as it seems as though it was when I got my RL. Admittedly in recent TL loaners I got, it seemed as though you had to take a moment and try to find stuff. The Bluetooth definitely took a little more time to understand. Unlike the RL that had dedicated voice buttons for BT and other VR commands, the Caddy has one. If you just quickly push the handsfree button, it'll just mute the audio you have to hold the button until it beeps, and then a female voice asks you what you want to do. You the have to tell it "hands free", she will then ackknowledge you and ask what you want to do. You then tell it the number you want to dial, or the voice tag, or if you want to access phone book functions. For your station presets, the Caddy takes a different direction than the RL. The caddy allows you to have "favorites" pages for your presets. So my first preset might be an XM station, my next might be an FM station, the next might be an AM station, and the next might be XM again. I like that instead of having to go to either XM, FM, AM, etc., to access the respective presets. The caddy allows you to have up to 32 pages of six presets. If you only have stored, let's say three pages, then you can hide the rest so you don't have to page through them all. I thought I was going to take a step back with the tech, but I think I may be wrong. You just have to take the time to learn it and go through the manual as opposed to how the Acura seemed like you could just figure it out.

The Acura allowed you to tailor just about anything to the fob. In addition to the seats, you could custom tailor the presets, NAV setting, MID settings, lighting functions, etc. With the Caddy, it seems as though the only settings customized to the fobs are the seats, mirrors and steering wheel. The rest like lock settings, lighting options, acknowledgements, audio an NAV settings are one size fits all. For me at least, this isn't a big deal. My wife rarely drove my RL enough to care about all of the customizeable features. As long as the seats, mirrors and steering wheel were set, she was good.

I haven't had a chance to set destinations by voice very much yet, but through some of my initial tries, it doesn't feel as intuitive as the RL....yet. Like I said, haven't played with it much. I like that it has a birds eye view (like Infiniti), but how it presents the traffic flows for NavTraffic is different. Instead of the solid neon green, yellow, or red that is overlaid on the road in the Acura, the Caddy has dotted lines of those colors running along side the roads. I think I like Acura's way better here.

I like that I can program the car to lock passively. I simply shut the doors. As soon as the car senses that the fob has exited the car, it locks the doors. Once I come back, I just reach the sensor behind the recess in the door (no door handles here), and it unlocks if you have the fob.

I like the heated steering wheel.

Haven't had any rain to see how the rain sensing wipers work

The Caddy has bi-xenon headlights AND fogs.

Acceleration seems comparable, but I think the AWD system in the CTS doesn't seem as sophisticated as SH-AWD. It is more RWD focused as opposed to FWD in the RL, but I don't think it shifts torque left to right. It uses Stabilitrak to keep you going where you intended. The two manufacturers take different approaches with AWD in my opinion The RL's system is intended to enhance the performance, in the Caddy it seems like it's more focused getting you through bad weather. In my opinion this is where Acura short changes themselves. Most people equate AWD with bad weather. Acura doesn't market enough the performance aspect of SH-AWD.

The ride is definitely firmer in the Caddy. It feels more sport than luxury. Who woul have thunk that from a Caddy, huh?

The moonroof is a disappointment. Given the rakish slope to the car, the roof only tilts. It doesn't open all the way. It's also a little less expensive than most moonroofs. $900 versus $1,500 or more in most cars. I thought of forgoing this option, but with the high beltline in the car and the chopped profile, the moonroof brings more light into the cabin. Some dealers offered an aftermarket option where the glass lifted up and over the roof, but I was hesitant to have someone start cutting holes into the roof of a $52k car. I was worried about squeak, rattle and leaking issues later.

I like that the Caddy has a 100k mile powertrain warranty. The bumper to bumper is 5yr/50k miles, so I may have to consider getting an extended warranty for the rest. I worry about the tech stuff. I'm still gun shy after having the door handles on my RL were replaced over 5 times ON EACH SIDE.

I get a year free of OnStar again. I also had it in my RL when I bought it, but I didn't renew it then. It seems like there are some new features now. If you're home on your computer and look up an address or directions (i.e. Mapquest or Googlemaps), you can upload it to your car's navigation system. There are also a couple of iPhone/iPad apps that allow you to interact with the car's telematics and functions. Still exploring that stuff.

From a styling perspective, I love the Caddy. The RL was handsome and muscular when it came out and it aged well. People still thought my car was relatively new, but I babied that car, and it had a gloss to the paint that rivaled some new cars. It was a bit more understated where the Caddy, especially the coupe is a bit more of an attention getter. I hate the current Acura beak, and while a previous poster likes it, most people I talk to don't and that seems to be the general consensus. As a matter of fact a co-worker recently asked me how I liked my RL. I told him I loved it and it served me well. He said that he used to have a 5 series BMW and got rid of it because of quality issues and how his dealer treated him. He bought a Lincoln MKZ, and while that car has performed well, it's not the same type of car. He said he thought of the RL, but the "snaggle tooth grille" is making him pause.

It's a shame. I remember when the 2nd gen TL came out in 1999. There was a 3 month waiting list for even the base models, and people were paying MSRP or more for them. That hasn't been the case for a while..

I will always be partial to Acura as they ave served me well. I have owned three over the 19 years. A 1993 Vigor, a 2001 TL/nav, and my RL i loved each and everyone of those cars

Acura just needs to find their identity again. I really struggled waving the brand, but nothing that us in Acura's lineup "moves" me, so I decided to give the domestics a shot again.

That took a lot given my previous experience with my 1990 Chevy Blazer. That was an abortion of a vehicle.

Who knows. If the Caddy doesn't hold up well, and Acura can bring back it's identity, I might be back.

I'll post an update once I get to know the car better.

Last edited by GoHawks; 03-10-2012 at 05:04 AM.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:53 AM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
excellent write up gohawks.. I am such an Acura enthusiast that it is going to be hard to part if the times comes when I need a new car but kudos to you, you seem like you have a very nice car in your hands.. the only problem I have with domestic is reliability so I hope that the cadi will be good to you.
Old 03-10-2012, 04:13 PM
Карты убийцы

Received 125 Likes on 100 Posts
Congrat's on the Caddy... After the 2013 MY of Acura, Caddy will be the first brand I eyeball.
Old 03-10-2012, 04:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Nice writeup. As I said on the Cadi forum, you kept some Americans working.

Not to mention, the Coupe is a stunner.

Hopefully, Acura's lineup will improve while you've got the Cadi.
Old 03-10-2012, 05:07 PM
Senior Moderator

My garage has two single space doors, so the RL only has 4" of clearance tops for both side mirrors. I feel ya on getting a big car in a small space.

What do you mean bird's eye view on the nav?

Also, I suppose you meant me who likes the beak. I don't like the beak, per se, but I don't think the front of Acuras are as bad as people make them out to be. That's just me though. I'm glad you found a car that suits your taste. The coupe is a real eye catcher.
Old 03-10-2012, 09:31 PM
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
maybe by the time you are "done" with the CTS.. the new NSX will be out and you can "come back to Acura" with one of those....

woudln't that be nice!
Old 03-10-2012, 09:35 PM

By bird's eye, another way of inking about it that it's sort of three dimensional. Normally when you look at a map, it's the equivalent of looking straight down. The bird's eye view shows you destination in the distance, in front of you. Sort of like your flying towards it.
Old 03-11-2012, 02:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
GoHawks...Congrats on your new Caddy and the excellent writeup. I was really looking forward to the CTS coupe to come out about a year and a half ago but after seeing it in person, I was a bit underwhelmed. I agree that the styling cues of the current gen of RL is not on par with the model you once had but I am hoping the new FMC slated to be making a world premiere at the NY auto show in April, that maybe some excitement will be injected once again to the brand.

I know alot of people don't like the Acura beak but I am not a huge fan of the Cadillac's butt. I know you really like ad that is what makes everyone unique in their personal taste so I am not trying to convince you otherwise. I doubt you will have the reliability and resale value your RL had but I could be wrong.

I think the new technology in the RL will be interesting....

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...id-sh-awd.html
Old 03-11-2012, 02:34 PM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
You'll be back!
Old 03-11-2012, 07:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by GoHawks
By bird's eye, another way of inking about it that it's sort of three dimensional. Normally when you look at a map, it's the equivalent of looking straight down. The bird's eye view shows you destination in the distance, in front of you. Sort of like your flying towards it.
It is pretty cool. My favorite nav feature, though, is using Google Maps or Mapquest to map your route, then transferring it to the car via OnStar. That gives you newer route information than is available on the nav disc sometimes, and so is more accurate.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by weather
GoHawks...Congrats on your new Caddy and the excellent writeup. I was really looking forward to the CTS coupe to come out about a year and a half ago but after seeing it in person, I was a bit underwhelmed. I agree that the styling cues of the current gen of RL is not on par with the model you once had but I am hoping the new FMC slated to be making a world premiere at the NY auto show in April, that maybe some excitement will be injected once again to the brand.

I know alot of people don't like the Acura beak but I am not a huge fan of the Cadillac's butt. I know you really like ad that is what makes everyone unique in their personal taste so I am not trying to convince you otherwise. I doubt you will have the reliability and resale value your RL had but I could be wrong.

I think the new technology in the RL will be interesting....

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...id-sh-awd.html
Interesting article. Time will tell whether this ESH-AWD will pan out. I have no doubt that Honda has sorted it out from a quality perspective, but I would still be leary buying an early model.

It's still going to have to compete with the Lexus GS, which has gone upmarket. I cross shopped it, befor I bought my CTS. If I wanted to get comparable equipment that I had in the RL, or that's in my CTS, e sticker swelled to $60K.
Don't forget, when the RL came out, it was touted as a great handling car, even beat out the BMW 525xi in a ccomparo test, among other high end cars. It was a great value, but people still failed to buy them. It created a bargain for me. I was able to get a car with an MSRP of $50K, for $43K.

Great for me, not for Acura and it's image.

I got a chance to put on a couple hundred miles on Ihe CTS this weekend. It's definitely on the sportier side of the RL. Ride is firmer without being harsh. A nice combination of a sportier ride without being too harsh. The interior is definitely on par with Acura. Seats are a little on the firm and flat side. Steering is almost too light when oping slow, but definitely tightens up at speed. Almost like two personalities.

Controls and switchgear are Honda smooth.

I'm learning the NAVi, and while I'm getting better, it no way as easy to use as the Honda/Acura units.

There are some niceties features

Driving home tonight I noticed that the gauges don't have the cirresponding metric scales. I went through the settings and changed to metric, and all the gauges transformed to metric and the English versions disappeared. Not a real biggie from. An everyday perspective, but pretty cool.

I like the exit feature. When turning the car off, when you open the door, not only does the steering wheel retract and tilt up, but the driver seat moves all the way back to aid you in exiting.

The electronic doors are cool. Inside the car, there are no door handles to open e door. Instead there is a button on the door pull. Push the button and the door pops open. From the outside, just touch the sensor in the door recess and if you have the fob, the door pops open. Just worried about the long term reliability. Of course the have a manual override lever in the footwells.

The stereos is awesome. Mine came with the Bose 5.1 surround system. Very deep crisp sound with strong bass. My initial thoughts is. That it's better sounding than the one in my old RL.

Limited voice commands and not as easy to use as the. RL.

The paint on mine is beautiful and I got a ton of compliments on it already. Cadillac offers a couple "diamond" colors. White diamond tricoat, Black diamond tri-coat, etc. these colors can cost up to $900 more. The metal flake on mine makes it look like they crushed glass and put it in the paint. The color is so deep, you you almost feel like you caput. Your hand into the paint.

It turns heads.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by neuronbob
It is pretty cool. My favorite nav feature, though, is using Google Maps or Mapquest to map your route, then transferring it to the car via OnStar. That gives you newer route information than is available on the nav disc sometimes, and so is more accurate.
I'm looking forward to trying this out.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:50 PM
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
did you consider the CTS-V coupe??? the new CTS-V is really cool. I LOVE the Coupe and espeically the wagon!

if I was going to buy a CTS-V.. I'd get the wagon! I could *haul* my kids, *haul* my stuff, and HAUL A$$!

congrats on the new car, i like it. i like the coupe! sharp looking car.

any plans to mod anythign? i'd want to tint it, lower it, and maybe upsize the wheels. maybe you can find a great deal on the CTS-V wheels... someone with a V will upgrade to custom wheels and sell their OEM wheels.. which would look great on your car.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:25 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
I love the CTS V wagon too.....!
HEAVY_RL (03-12-2012)
Old 03-12-2012, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by 23109VC
did you consider the CTS-V coupe??? the new CTS-V is really cool. I LOVE the Coupe and espeically the wagon!

if I was going to buy a CTS-V.. I'd get the wagon! I could *haul* my kids, *haul* my stuff, and HAUL A$$!

any plans to mod anythign? i'd want to tint it, lower it, and maybe upsize the wheels. maybe you can find a great deal on the CTS-V wheels... someone with a V will upgrade to custom wheels and sell their OEM wheels.. which would look great on your car.
Thanks.

The V was at least another $20K+, and I would've had to buy a winter car as I wouldn't want to drive it through a Michigan winter.

I couldn't swing it.

I'll mod eventually. I always do. Tints will come first.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:02 AM
Proud owner of a...

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
Very good choice indeed. Yet why didn't you buy the manual version?
Old 03-14-2012, 11:16 AM
Proud owner of a...

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by 23109VC

I've driven the CTS-V quite a bit. The V isn't worth it comparing to the base CTS. Driving dynamics (cornering, steering response, throttle response, body roll, etc.) of the V are not much different from the base model. It drives like a high horsepower luxury sedan and nowhere near a sports car.

The reason for such is that on engineering lever, the V is too heavy and too soft, has terrible electronic programming for a sports car, and needs AWD; on marketing strategy level, it reflects the general retardation of GM managers. A good model lineup should be a display of inspired creations of the best of their artists (yuppie banana, fancy apple, exotic orange; not banana, retarded banana, even more retarded banana), yet GM managers believe their CTS-V must be somehow less radical than the Corvette. Therefore they put a retarded version the Corvette's drivetrain in CTS, instead of letting their designers freely create a true racing Cadillac.

Even those $37K STIs and Evos drive so much better than the V. Therefore go for the CTS, but not the V.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:16 PM
Senior Moderator

I guess you haven't seen the V-wagon beat the Califonia's and Panamera Turbo's track time, have you?
Old 03-14-2012, 02:55 PM
6MT G37

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Nice car! I won't lie, i'm not a fan of the cts coupe and I like the sedan better but congrats on the purchase! Enjoy !!
Old 03-14-2012, 02:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,039 Likes on 845 Posts
Allow me.

Last edited by HEAVY_RL; 03-14-2012 at 02:59 PM.
oo7spy (03-14-2012)
Old 03-14-2012, 02:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Only cause I like Cognac.

http://www.history.com/shows/top-gea...ennessey-wagon
Old 03-14-2012, 03:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Oops, you can see at 10:37 it didn't beat the Panamera, but at 2 seconds behind it didn't get whooped. Either way, if you can't tell the difference between a V and non-V, you shouldn't he handed 500+ HP. EVER.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:47 PM
Suzuka Master

So extra bad ass.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:21 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
hot damn !!!
Old 03-15-2012, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by serbj
Very good choice indeed. Yet why didn't you buy the manual version?
Even though it's my DD, my wife needs to be able to drive it too, and she doesn't know how to drive a manual.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by oo7spy
Oops, you can see at 10:37 it didn't beat the Panamera, but at 2 seconds behind it didn't get whooped. Either way, if you can't tell the difference between a V and non-V, you shouldn't he handed 500+ HP. EVER.
Very true, although I disagree that there isn't a difference between the base model.

While I haven't driven a V (should've asked to test drive one) I did notice a difference between the base model and mine. The base model gets the GM FE1 suspension. The Performance model and the Premier Collection (mine) come with the firmer FE2 setup. On these models you can opt for the Sport Package that includes the much firmer FE3 suspension along with summer only tires. The V comes with Magnetic Ride control that even Ferrari has implemented in similar form.
oo7spy (03-16-2012)
Old 03-16-2012, 06:27 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
Beautiful car GoHawks. If I were to buy a domestic model it would be the Caddy CTS. Enjoy and please keep us updated on your new car.
Old 03-17-2012, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by miner
Beautiful car GoHawks. If I were to buy a domestic model it would be the Caddy CTS. Enjoy and please keep us updated on your new car.

Thanks!