Warranty issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 02:55 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Warranty issue

I brought my 06 RL in DEC 06. It was a demo. The invoice and title said its new. My question is do I have the full 4 years warranty? I thought I have 4 months left. I went to Ryalle acura two weeks ago for a defective display. The sa told me my warranty is up because its a demo when I brought it. Is he correct or I have a case?
Old 07-22-2010, 03:34 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
That is potentially fraudulent if they did not specifically advise you in writing that a new car has no warranty on it...Do they show an in service date? That could be the loop hole...otherwsie Also, of course, what is your mileage...if your are over 52500 (remember the 5% odometer extension) but still within 4 years, you are out of warranty. Otherwise, show them the invoice. Call Acura Client Services.

What is the defect in the display? This may be something you can plug and play yourself.
Old 07-22-2010, 04:06 PM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
I don't think OP was saying there was NO warranty - just that the warranty started prior to his purchase because it was a demo - presumably more than 4 months prior to his purchase.
Old 07-22-2010, 05:28 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by getakey
I don't think OP was saying there was NO warranty - just that the warranty started prior to his purchase because it was a demo - presumably more than 4 months prior to his purchase.
Yes, I agree. That is why I asked if there was an in service date on the paperwork. That is usually specified in the paperwork as the start date for the warranty time, at least in my experience.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:16 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know the actual in service date, but they sold me the car as a new car. I assume the warranty start on the date of purchase. My navigation display will not come on when its over 90 degrees outside. When it cools down, it will work again. Raylle acura already order the part but later call me about the expired warranty.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:00 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts
Wow an 06 with a problem no way!!!!
Old 07-23-2010, 05:54 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Regardless of what the dealer tells you, the warranty starts at the "in-service" date, not the date the car was delivered to you. I found this out the hard way as my factory warranty expired well before I thought it did even though I asked about it when I bought the car and the salesman (long gone) told me I get the full 4 years but not and "additional" 50,000 miles (the car had 2,500 miles when I bought it). Luckily, I bought an AcuraCare exended warranty so I'm covered but I do feel like I've been cheated. It is spelled out in the fine print of the warranty but no only did I not feel the need to read it, the dealer never told me the official "in-service" date so even if I read it I wouldn't have known when my warranty would expire. I called Acura clien services who basically did nothing other than call the dealer and ask that they honor the full 4 years. When the dealer said no, that they couldn't be responsible for any lies a salesman says (their words) that was it. This is the first blackmark against this dealer I've had after many years of buying cars from them but it's a big enough one that I'll think twice before my next purchase.

LL
Old 07-23-2010, 07:49 AM
Safety Car

You should call Acura Client Services if you get no satisfaction, then contact the dealership General Manager. He may get you some satisfaction. Sometimes a certified letter, return receipt to the General Manager with a cc to Acura Client Services can get some results, especially if the contract paper work backs you up!
Old 07-23-2010, 07:55 AM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
A car, boat or any vehicle can technically be called "new" if it's never been titled before. As a result you would be able to leverage new car financing, however as the previous poster noted, the warranty starts during the in-service date.

That is the reason why you typically get a better price with a demo. It's been slightly used, but it can still be considered a "new" car. Some dealers will underwrite will extend the warranty themselves. In other words they'll promise to cover repairs to the car past the factory warranty period for the miles/time that the car was used when purchased.

Back in 1993 I purchased a demo Acura Vigor GS. Got a GREAT deal on the car, but it did have some miles on it, I think 6K or 7K miles on it. At the time the factory warrany was 4yrs/50K miles. The dealer promised to cover repairs that may be encountered between 50K - 56K miles.

The problem with this arrangement is if the ownership of the dealer changes hands. If it does, the new owner has no legal obligation to honor that promise, and you have no recourse with Honda/Acura.

In my case that's exactly what happened. The dealer was bought out, and I had a claim just after the factory warranty expired. The new owner stated that they couldn't honor the warranty, but out of goodwill they covered the repair had for that one time.

For me it worked out as I had no more issues during the time, but it's a risk. In the end the new ownership of that dealer turned out to be even better. Their service department spoiled me and I ended up buying two more cars from them. A 2001 TL, and my current RL.

Almost three years ago I moved to Michigan and I still miss the treatment I got from that dealership.

For those who live in the Chicago area, I highly recommend Acura of Libertyville.