Want to purchase extended warranty

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 07:26 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Want to purchase extended warranty

Have 05 RL with 30,000 miles. I have a full warranty until July 2010, and then a power train warranty until 2012.

After reading all these threads I was wondering if maybe I should buy an extended warranty and what is the best one to buy. Should it be through Acura/Honda, or is there an aftermarket one that is better/ cheaper?

Also, is there a mileage or age limit before I need to buy the warranty?

Thanks!

Acurod
Old 10-07-2009, 07:51 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What would be covered under the power train once your original warranty expires? At 30k I wouldnt expect much to go wrong if you regurlarly mainained your vehicle. I purchased an extended warranty through Guardian Warranty Company my vehicle had higher mileage and was not purchased directly from an acura dealer..My car is in the repair shop right now & they're covering brake calipers plus labor but not the tax whick I'm responsible for.They cover up to $70/hour for labor-free towing for 10 miles from where your at-plus you can run out of gas 5 times and they'll send someone over.

As far as my brakes go I'll find out tonite or tomorow how easy they actually paid so far they seem pretty good.. They didnt even send an adjuster out and it's a $1000 job
Old 10-07-2009, 09:18 AM
Advanced

Thanks JuanCT-- I bought from a dealer and got the certified acura warranty through next summer. What I would like is to purchase another warranty as late as possible but still be able to purchase it. I have heard there is a cut-off in miles (like 40,000) above which you can't buy certain warranties. That is the infor I'm looking for as welll as which is the best coverage and value.

Please let us know how you made out with the caliper job and claim!
Old 10-07-2009, 09:54 AM
Advanced

I'll keep you posted..If I were you I'd try to extend my warranty right now with Acura..I seem to get lucky with mine but alot of these warranty companies go out of business quickly
Old 10-07-2009, 11:03 AM
Advanced

Seems Acura will not extend their warranty once a car has been in service longer than 4 years. Since my car was put in service in July 05, it is not eligible. That means I now need to find an aftermarket warranty that is trustworthy! That brings me back to my original question as to who to buy from and are there mileage limitations when you can get in the warranty program.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:40 AM
Advanced

Well whatever company you pick ask lots of questions-mine has a regular plan and a more comprehensive plan that covers more - plus make sure you have a zero deductible! Also I like to check reliabilty ratings with the bbb and I also run a check with ripoffreport.com
Hope that helps
Old 10-07-2009, 04:23 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
I used Hondacuraworld.com (Ray Laks Acura). They had the best price on $0 deductible AcuraCare Warranty from Honda.
Old 10-08-2009, 01:41 PM
Advanced

Yes, I understand Honda is the best warranty and has a zero deductible. Trouble is I am not eligible to purchase a warranty from Honda since my car has been in service more than 4 years. I need the name of a good aftermarket warranty company!

Thanks all.

Rod
Old 10-08-2009, 03:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by acurod
Thanks JuanCT-- I bought from a dealer and got the certified acura warranty through next summer. What I would like is to purchase another warranty as late as possible but still be able to purchase it. I have heard there is a cut-off in miles (like 40,000) above which you can't buy certain warranties. That is the infor I'm looking for as welll as which is the best coverage and value.

Please let us know how you made out with the caliper job and claim!
I believe you can buy an extended certified warranty only from the dealer you bought your car, and maybe only at time of purchase. But I'd call them and find out. As you know you can't extended the original warranty, which is what I usually do and its the best thing you can do.

I wouldn't waste my time or money on an aftermaket warranty. Like the other poster said, his covers up to $70/hr. And with a high tech lux car like the RL you are probably best served by a dealer for a major repair. My local dealer charges $115/hr so his warranty would only cover like 60% of the labor. And They most likely won't cover the high tech toys that are going to break on the RL. But in hindsight I wouldn't have bought an 05 RL used. For that reason I am now getting rid of mine. Good luck...

Last edited by briny319; 10-08-2009 at 03:12 PM.
Old 10-08-2009, 04:28 PM
Advanced

Ok so here goes ..I picked up my vehicle today and the warranty covered all my work this included calipers which are a $500 per caliper I replaced two and they didn't send an adjuster or anything..So Guardian gets a thumps up from me!