Video of Pictures Showing a JDM Legend

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 11:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Video of Pictures Showing a JDM Legend

Interesting to see how many extra features the Japanese version has vs ours. Notice even the memory card slot on the dash.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kJBE...g%2F5318271%2F
Old 06-24-2007, 06:46 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I guess someone in Hyogo prefecture wanted to trade.

The only extra feature that sprang out at me was the memory card slot. I wonder what it's used for in the JDM car?
Old 06-24-2007, 01:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Did some searching, it's a smart card slot -

"Smart card / smart key manual, includes memory seat adjustments, includes radio settings and includes memory steering wheel position. The power trunk lid features automatic opening and closing. Anyone carrying the Smart Card key can auto-open the trunk lid using a switch on its exterior, or auto-close it using an interior switch. The trunk lid can also be operated using the driver’s seatswitch or the Smart Card."

Auto closing trunk is a nice feature.
Old 06-24-2007, 01:26 PM
has been here awhile

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Also interesting to see there was no moonroof or power rear sunshade (judging by the overhead console).

Can you option out your Legend over there?
Old 06-24-2007, 02:25 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Also, there is no Homelink, or ONSTAR (obviously).

The smart card is the equivalent of our keyless fob. Japan requires a key'd ignition (hence our paddle knob ignition). It simply was modified for the US keyless desired feature. European models also use key.

Soon I expect a USB port for not only custom settings, but music selections, predetermined NAVI routes etc to be portable with the fob.
Old 06-24-2007, 04:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
The smart card seems a rather clunky interface item. It seems that could have been built into the car another way somehow.

No keyless systems are allowed in Japan? I wonder why?
Old 06-24-2007, 07:16 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
The smart card seems a rather clunky interface item. It seems that could have been built into the car another way somehow.

No keyless systems are allowed in Japan? I wonder why?
When I was in Japan, the Smart Card idea was a movement towards a person key card that captured personal choice settings for vehicles as well as music, HVAC etc. There is also an voice activation system on the major highways (queues for approaching tolls, parking garages, security system access, etc. ) that is not part of the Navis system and the Smart Card interfaces with these devices. Right now, the Smart Card is the means Honda is exploring integrating these peripherals.

As for as keyless ignition, most countries do no allow it (yet). The radio frequencies are not where near as regulated as they are in the US. Wireless piracy is rampant (which made me wonder abou the sucess of the smart card interfaces). This is the primary reason why the LEGEND is a key ignition car with a keyless system retrofitted for the US market's desire for keyless. In the process, the Smart Card utilities for person driver settings were integrated into the remote / fob.