Transmission fill bolt and some details

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 09:57 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Transmission fill bolt and some details

Hey, fellow RL owners, I need some assistance in locating the fill bolt for the transmission fluid.

Note the transmission has two independent chambers. Chamber 1 is the typical transmission chamber (ATZ-Z1). I see the drain bolt but I can't find the filler bolt. I even have the service manual showing a zoomed in view of the filler bolt above two wire harnesses forming a V-Shape. I looked and looked but I can't find the fill bolt.

The 2nd chamber is the transfer assembly. I can clearly see these two bolts drain and fill. I am not referring to these. Everyone should also take note that this chamber uses hypoid gear oil SAE API GL4 or GL5. It is not ATF-Z1. Some refer to this as the front differential.

Rear differential uses ATF-Z1 not VTM4. Front differential does not use ATF-Z1.

The Acura service manual does not refer to an Acura hypoid gear oil itself it just references the above hypoid gear type fluid.

As a final thought I could refil using the dipstick tube by running a very small line to it that is connected to a funnel. I want to find the fill bolt.

I'll also offer to evryone the fact that the most difficult part of changing these transmission/differential fluids is to raise the car high enough to get to the bolts and keep the car level. The way I did it was this.

1) Backed the car up on ramps. Yes the rear end. You can't drive up the front on ramps because the cat is too low and it will scrape.

2) Then I jacked the car up in the front until level with a 2.25 ton jack.

3) Then placed jack stands behind the front tires at the jack points. Lowered the car on the jacks.

If you don't have ramps but have 4 Jack stands you can rest the back on Jack stands too. Note ,if you raise the back at the lift point with a small jack (like mine) it will not raise the car high enough to fit the jack stands under the jack points in front of the rear tires. I simply placed a stack of 3 2"X12"X2' under the car and placed the jack on top of the stacked wood. This increase the lift height 3-1/2 inches(enough to get my jack stands in position).

Under no circumstances should you get under a car with just the jack supporting it. Use ramps and 2 jacks or 4 jacks.

Last edited by stevesrl; 07-19-2009 at 10:00 PM.
Old 07-19-2009, 10:17 PM
Instructor

^^^Typo. Stacked wood increases lift height 4-1/2".
Old 07-20-2009, 10:17 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The transmission fill bolt is on the top rear of the transmission housing. It is more or less beneath the engine compartment fuse box and has "ATF" engraved on the hex-head used for removal. It is my understanding that the fuse box must be detached from its mounting and pushed aside for sufficient access to remove and re-install the the filler bolt -- and inspection of the bolts' location will confirm this fact.

If you have means of re-filling the trans through the dipstick tube I would do it. It is much less work than gaining adequet access to the filler bolt. I may take a little longer, but it is infinitly less work -- the spece to the mailn filler is VERY tight, even with the fuse box moved aside.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:48 AM
Instructor

Jackzilla, I thank you for the response. It appears I am not an indiot for your response explains why I could not find it after hours of searching I started getting really PO and wrote up the thread for help.

I will use the the dipstick method. Everyone should take note of this for it will save you the grief I had.