TL better than the RL?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008 | 10:05 AM
Go Big Blue!

TL better than the RL?

Just bought a 2009 TL for my daughter and I must say I am very impressed. After "steeling" it from my daughter for a few road trips, I must say it seems better than my 07 RL in every way except the torque steer you feel when accelerating through a turn. However, since the TL comes with an SHAWD version, even that could be corrected for a price that still puts you well below the RL.

What did I find?

-The interior does not feel quite as upscale maily because it is missing the wood trim, steering wheel, and shifter. However, other than that, it is top notch with material and f&f. I don't see anything skimped inside.
- My iPhone can download all phonebook entries now and you can assign voice tags to any entry downloaded. Everything is visible, scrollable, etc, on the main screen.
- The center console is better laid out
- The nav screen is high def and wide screen now. Major difference in quality of images.
- Offers Nav Weather with live Doppler radar, weather forecasts, etc.. It works and it's very cool. Nav Traffic is still there with no additional features. Still sucks and is not worth it unless you can get flow data in your city. I cannot get it in Orlando so I'll let that service expire on her car.
- The HFL display is fully integrated with the center screen. No more viewing call info on the MID between the spedo and odometer.
- The HFL commands are fully integrated with the other control commands. One button now for issuing voice commands
- The camera system is infinitely better and brighter, plus, it has guide lines on the screen to help when backing up. Wow, I didn't realize how much that helps. I can actually back into a parking spot without taking my eyes off the camera. With the RL you have to constantly look up and orient yourself to get a sense of the angle of approach. That issue, and the fact that the camera was hard to see in daylight, made it almost useless to me. In the TL it's a real feature now.
- The trunk is bigger
- The back seat seems like it has more room
- It's noticably faster off the line (but not quite as good of a handler, see SHAWD comment above)
- The exterior (although controversal to some) does not resemble ANYTHING sold with the H badge. I never had a problem with the RL's subtle looks, but I mention this because I know some do. You definitely won't be mistake as driving an Accord wit this car.
- 7 position passenger seat
- Blue Tooth Audio
- Hard Drive Nav system along with the ability to download and store about 12gig of music onto the drive. it has a neat interface for setting up playlists, favorites, etc., with that music stored on the HD.

If that's not enough, then there's all sorts of little things that make you wish you had the car over your RL. Little annoying fixes such as;
- The Keyless entry system now recognizes your fob and adjusts your settings WITHOUT needing to have the door locked. If driver 1 gets out of the car and leaves the door unlocked, driver 2 can then open the door and the seats, etc. will adjust for them.
- This MID display now REMEMBERS your last setting and redisplays that when you start the car.
- etc.

Bottom line; I'm jealeous of my daughter new car eventhough it was $10k less than my 07 RL. I'm sure the next RL is going to be unbelievable based on the way the new TSX and TL have been a big step up on the prior gen. However, until then, the current gen RL (even the latest version with some refreshes) seems like a lamb duck.
Old 11-09-2008 | 10:45 AM
Senior Moderator

I wish I'd had a dad like you when I was younger. Nice comparison.

The interior of the new TL is much nicer than the 3G but still not quite what the RL is. The advancements in the Navi/electronics are as expected based on what's in the MMC RL.

The exterior of the TL, though....still . I saw it in person last week and I just can't get past the grille. I tried, and I couldn't. The rest of the car looks pretty good, though.
Old 11-09-2008 | 12:47 PM
Senior Moderator

I'm with Bob on the exterior, I can't believe they did that. not only the nose, the back too, the car reminds me of a camry.
Old 11-09-2008 | 12:54 PM
.... .... .... ... ....

The camry still look better than the o9 TL
Old 11-09-2008 | 02:27 PM
Senior Moderator

I love the new TL EXCEPT for the exterior. It looks like the lovechild of Darth Vader's helmet and a decepticon
Old 11-09-2008 | 03:17 PM
Pro

Every new evolution will bring new technologies and the TL does not disappoint. I am one of the few that almost likes the exterior of the TL.
Old 11-09-2008 | 03:57 PM
Go Big Blue!

Originally Posted by neuronbob
I wish I'd had a dad like you when I was younger. Nice comparison.

The interior of the new TL is much nicer than the 3G but still not quite what the RL is. The advancements in the Navi/electronics are as expected based on what's in the MMC RL.

The exterior of the TL, though....still . I saw it in person last week and I just can't get past the grille. I tried, and I couldn't. The rest of the car looks pretty good, though.
Me too

But seriously, I was honestly very impressed by the revolutionary change in this generation over the last. I could say the same thing about the new TSX. I'm excited to see what the new RL offers.

The exterior is a bit of a slap in the face when you first see it. But, as expected, it grows on you quickly once it's parked in your garage and you see it every day. I have a harder time with the back then the front. Maybe because I've seen this shield design for over a year now and it's not as shocking anymore. Aside from that, the exterior looks good and side by side, it looks much more agressive (and BIGGER) than my RL. It's definitely a more youthful look. My daughter loves it and so do her friends.

I have no doubt this will be a successful design regardless of what we think. The brand and their cars will be successful or a failure regardless of the grill. I still ask people to stair at the drop jaw on the Audi or the honker of an emblem on a MB SL, etc. Does anyone honestly think that is truly attractive when looked at for it's artistic style? No, if you just stair at it for a while and see it by itself you realize it's ridiculous looking. Kind of like the TL shield.

When people stop stairing at the shield like they have with the Audi frontend or the 12 inch MB star on the front of an SL, that's when it stops becoming a blemish and starts becoming an identifiying symbol. It always happens. It'll happen here too.
Old 11-10-2008 | 10:23 AM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Nice writeup. I had similar thoughts in my test drive of the TL as well. My test drive was limited so I didn't get a chance to delve into the more subtle improvements (i.e. keyless entry, HFL, etc.), but that's good to hear.

I REALLY liked the TL I drove. It was white, loaded FWD model. The light color softened the look of the beak somewhat. The beak is the least favorable part of the car, and even with that I could live with it. I think it was executed much better on the TL as opposed to the RL.

If my RL was totaled tomorrow, I would have no problems "settling" for a loaded SH-AWD version of the TL.
Old 11-10-2008 | 11:19 AM
Three Wheelin'

My guess is that Acura is going to make the RL even uglier than the TL. The 09 RL/TL was just a tease to get you into the pointed front and rear with a beak at both ends. The only saving grace is that the Legend will tank in the rest of the world if they ship it out with all of the "new" ugly features.
Old 11-10-2008 | 12:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by db22
My guess is that Acura is going to make the RL even uglier than the TL.
Oh goodness, I hope not. If they are going to use the schnoz, they have to integrate it better, as was done in the TSX. The new TSX is great!
Old 11-10-2008 | 01:14 PM
Go Big Blue!

^^^
I hope not too Bob. I think the TL design is radical enough. Unfortunately, I wouldn't be surprised if it's just as dramatic as the new TL
Old 11-12-2008 | 07:18 AM
CGP Ebony

You are a exemplary Dad for buying your kid a TL.

But your RL looks soooo much better than the TL. IMHO.
Old 11-12-2008 | 08:48 AM
Pro

This RL TL conundrum has always existed, like neuron I had A Tl before the RL, my primary reason for the switch was AWD since I live in winterland WI. Compared to the previous Gen TL the RL was more posh, but slower, otherwise it was mostly a wash. This new TL when equiped with SHAWD seems to trump the RL dynamically which is to be expected, as for me I would only consider it in a manual tranny guise which IMO makes the new TL pretty much second to none since it has proven to hand pretty much any other car in its segment its ass on a silver platter. I finally got to see it up close and I still dislike the grill intensively, the rest of the car is pretty good. In order for me to take the jump the performance difference has to be overwhelmingly better than the RL, otherwise, it be kind of silly to swap since the RL is already a darned nice car. Now that I swapped the original 17 inchers for 18's and shod it with yokohama S4 I have discovered that a lot of the RL's handling potential (already excellent) was hidden behind a less than desirable wheel/tire package. As to power more would be good, but the truth is that in 2 years of ownership I still have to find someone to give me a whippin around my area so even more juice is a moot point! I think I'll keep my RL as is till it stops giving reliable service and spend my toy money on "upgrading" my s2000 with a Toda clutch and a Kraftwerks supercharger. That should more than satisfy my speed cravings and cost a heck of a lot less than another new car
Old 11-12-2008 | 11:20 AM
Senior Moderator

^^^^ LOL, I was just looking at the Kraftwerks SC myself for my S2000! There's a newer, less expensive SC from Science of Speed using a Novi 1200 unit....it's supposed to be coming soon, so I'm waiting for that.

Back on topic...

The TL SH-AWD is supposed to be coming with a manual tranny next model year. I plan to test drive that. I truly wish that Acura had put SH-AWD in the 3G TL with a manual. If they'd done that, I'd still be driving a TL.....fast.
Old 11-12-2008 | 12:44 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by neuronbob
^^^^ LOL, I was just looking at the Kraftwerks SC myself for my S2000! There's a newer, less expensive SC from Science of Speed using a Novi 1200 unit....it's supposed to be coming soon, so I'm waiting for that.

Back on topic...

The TL SH-AWD is supposed to be coming with a manual tranny next model year. I plan to test drive that. I truly wish that Acura had put SH-AWD in the 3G TL with a manual. If they'd done that, I'd still be driving a TL.....fast.
One point for the kraftwerks is that the kit looks solid, its even CARB certified! The Rotrex supercharger has been around for a good while and its very quiet. Its not cheap, but it seems to be a throughly vetted system that will probably hold up well.
AND....... YES WE DID!!!!!!!!
Old 11-12-2008 | 02:24 PM
big shot.

my only question for u guys w/the RL...the TL SHAWD starts at 43k....you start adding a few decent things to that, you can come up with a TL that gets significantly into RL territory....

now...lets say that situation exists...how could one want to drop to a TL? dont you find the interior of the RL to be significantly better than the new TL....and if not, why not? IMO, i feel like the RL is just light years better than anything Acura makes, the rest of the Acuras imo are jazzed up hondas...even the new base TL (ie v6 Accord)

Ive taken many many looks at the new TL, and almost bought one, but just i dunno, doesnt sit well with me, i feel like its a bloated ugly machine, add to that, the interior does not become its saving grace. IMO...Acura got it right with the RL in the 2nd gen. It sets the bar for all other Acuras...@this pt in my life im not ready to move that high up, but, you guys who already own the RL, it boggles my mind how you would consider the TL...in my book the TL is not a 40k+ car, not in the slightest.
Old 11-12-2008 | 02:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

"Acura" didn't design the RL, Honda Japan did. In my opinion, that's why the RL is more elegant than the other Acuras. Acura (North America) was thinking mostly about the US market when they designed the new TL, while Honda had to consider Japan and Europe.
Old 11-12-2008 | 06:40 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

The new TL should be a better car, and closer to the RL. That is what flagship models do...they introduce showcase technology, features and engineering that if successful, are infused into the higher volume products. Trickle down engineering is the basis of automobile engineering. And above flagships are racing devisions. Our commonplace commuting appliances are often more sphisticated, higher powered and better handling than the competition racing vehicles their technology may have been derived from.

That said, as better a car over the previous TL *inserting obligatory styling disclaimer*, it may appear to have met the RL, or exceeded it. Bigger, more powerful, SHAWD available and newer gizmos. Well geez, the RL got caught up with? Give credit, the RL is a model generation designed 6 YEARS ago. It now it is JUST being bettered or matched? Give me a break. This is how the auto biz works.

And a full model generation later to make use of the aluminum structural components and some aluminum body panels. Active Front Lighting? The hand wet-sanded finish? Not yet.

IMHO, what the TL has not is class. The RL may get lost in the attention seekers game, but at least it has not resorted to spiked hair, multiple ear piercings, odiuos language and vacant compassion to be noticed. But in the fashion versus ubstance argument, any publicity is good publicity. HEY! Look at ME!

The RL is tasteful, buttoned up, tailored, forward thinking while being inoffensive. It does not need to be in your face and it is your loss if you do not take a closer look. Like people with self confidence, there is less energy trying to emulate substance since it is already there.

Yes, the TL is getting better. But it is no RL. The RL captures subtle Japanese Zen, balance and harmony. The TL is all American pop culture and flash. On paper they can be all too similar. In spirit they are worlds apart.

It is close(er) but still no cigar.

Last edited by TampaRLX-SH; 11-12-2008 at 06:43 PM.
Old 11-13-2008 | 12:09 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TampaRL
IMHO, what the TL has not is class. The RL may get lost in the attention seekers game, but at least it has not resorted to spiked hair, multiple ear piercings, odiuos language and vacant compassion to be noticed. But in the fashion versus ubstance argument, any publicity is good publicity. HEY! Look at ME!

The RL is tasteful, buttoned up, tailored, forward thinking while being inoffensive. It does not need to be in your face and it is your loss if you do not take a closer look. Like people with self confidence, there is less energy trying to emulate substance since it is already there.

I have to say TampaRL, you are a eloquent writer. Very good analogy. You should take over for some of the auto press.
Old 11-13-2008 | 02:41 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Originally Posted by kmcheney
I have to say TampaRL, you are a eloquent writer. Very good analogy. You should take over for some of the auto press.
I am flattered.

I wish my one handed typing skills reflected the eloquence you attest.

But if anyone reading wants to offer me the opportunity.... I'll buy the speach to text software or hire a better proofreader!
Old 11-13-2008 | 02:47 PM
Cruisin'

I traded in a 2005 TL with 45k miles for a new 2008 RL tech with under 100 miles. At the purchase price of about 40,000 less trade it was a great deal for a great car. I had driven 2006 and 2007 RL's with friends and liked the ride and handling much better than my TL. I also have driven the 2009 TL both base and SHAWD and I still feel the quality and the "presence" of the RL trump the new design. Maybe it will grow on me, but I feel that regardless of the lower valuations of the cars, the Rl was the better buy and I have absolutely no regrets. My insurance was within $50 per year of my TL and I am enjoying the upgrade to my ride.
Old 11-13-2008 | 04:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

When I test drove the new TL I did not think the car was as good as the RL. The RL was much smoother to me. The ride was more refined. Not a big fan of the interior, but then I like wood in my car. I have not driven the new AWD version yet, but its on my list of things to do. The gadgets are nice, but that is secondary to me. I am certainly not a fan of the that big beak. It is going to be a sad day with I have to turn her in. I still have not found a replacement for her.

Last edited by dwest1023; 11-13-2008 at 05:01 PM.
Old 11-15-2008 | 07:41 PM
Safety Car

A little OT, but our neighbor just got a red TL fwd. My wife saw the car nose on, and said what an ugly car. She was shocked that it was a TL. I told her that all the new Acuras had that nose in some fashion. She was shocked and said we're not selling the RL.

She is not a car person, although she appreciates the RL as a very nice car.
Old 11-16-2008 | 03:22 PM
Go Big Blue!

My 07 RL next to my daughters new TL. The TL definitely looks bigger eventhough they are both almost exactly the same size. It definitely has to do with the bowing front hood on the RL.

I like the RL better for my taste, but the TL looks good to me also. I agree the grill needs to be toned down. This TL was leased so painting the grill was not an option. I've seen it painted in photos and it looks good

Old 11-16-2008 | 04:40 PM
Safety Car

Nice stable Mikey!
Old 11-16-2008 | 05:09 PM
Good Vibes

Originally Posted by plastikman
I'm with Bob on the exterior, I can't believe they did that. not only the nose, the back too, the car reminds me of a camry.
I agree, the rear reminds me of a Toyota Camry.

The side reminds me of an Nissan Altima.

And the front reminds me of...

Old 11-17-2008 | 02:41 PM
Go Big Blue!

Originally Posted by Chas2
Nice stable Mikey!
Thanks Chas2. Never owned two of the same brand, let alone three! Go out shopping for a car these days and keep coming home with an Acura.

All things considered, it's been the best choice lately. I test drove the 328. It drove great, but (as is always the case) the value wasn't quite there when you tricked it out like the TL Tech. The IS was a bit too small. The G would have been a serious contendor but we only have ONE dealer in all of Orlando metro, and it's on the entirely opposite side of the city. The TL was the best choice.
Old 11-19-2008 | 04:26 PM
Race Director

So if you where now wanting to buy a new Acura what would make you want to step up to the RL over the TL in your opinion haven driven both?
Old 11-19-2008 | 05:05 PM
Go Big Blue!

Originally Posted by Trackruner228
So if you where now wanting to buy a new Acura, what would make you want to step up to the RL over the TL in your opinion haven driven both?
Well I didn't buy the SHAWD 3.7L. I wouldn't choose this car I bought for my daughter over my RL. However, I'd have to say it would be hard to choose between the 09 RL and an 09 TL SHAWD. The RL of course still has some features the TL does not. Articulating head lights, cooled seats, auto tilt steering wheel, errr, help me out guys, what else does it have that the new TL doesn't

On the other hand, the new TL is a complete refresh and has some technlogy improvements which are nice. HD Nav and audio, etc. I mentioned them in my original post so I won't relist them again.

Bottom line; if I was shopping for a car and wanted an Acura sedan, I'd take the TL SHAWD and save $6k. If I really wanted/needed the few additional things the RL offered, or couldn't deal with the TL styling, I'd wait for the 2010 RL. The 09 RL is truely a lame duck now with the TL SHAWD on the floor. I can't imagine them selling hardly any. I guess my dealer must agree because he doesn't even have any 09 RL's. They said they are only selling them by order.