Test drove LS430

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2006, 06:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
Test drove LS430

I now have an 06 RL, but I wanted to see how is compared with the Lexus LS 430.
When I started the 430 I could not even tell the car was running. Out on the highway the car is just a floater. I did not like the ride, it is an old mans car. Even though it had a V8, the RL felt more powerful. I don't know if I caught the transmission at a bad time, but when I floored it , it did not seem to be as smooth shifting as the RL. I like the interior of the RL MUCh better too. I know the RL is not everyones taste, but for me I think it is a HEll of a car,especially for the price one can get it for now.
Old 05-07-2006, 08:44 PM
Black

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
The current LS430 has a 282HP engine.

The new one (LS460 and LS600h) will be quite an improvement.
Old 05-07-2006, 09:23 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dwest1023
I now have an 06 RL, but I wanted to see how is compared with the Lexus LS 430.
When I started the 430 I could not even tell the car was running. Out on the highway the car is just a floater. I did not like the ride, it is an old mans car. Even though it had a V8, the RL felt more powerful. I don't know if I caught the transmission at a bad time, but when I floored it , it did not seem to be as smooth shifting as the RL. I like the interior of the RL MUCh better too. I know the RL is not everyones taste, but for me I think it is a HEll of a car,especially for the price one can get it for now.
I sat in a LS430 a few weeks ago, and didn't like the look at all...it's huge...it's certainly a fine automobile...and quiet...the last Lexus I test drove, the salesman took me over an extremely rough stretch under construction...quite impressive.

One trait of many Lexus products that I've not particularly cared for is the boxy shape...about as exciting as an "appliance" (I didn't invent this term when describing a Lexus.) The RL seems designed to sit on its wheels, particularly if viewed from the front and back, whereas on many of the Lexus products, the wheels simply poke out from underneath that boxy body...often reminds me of old slab sided Lincoln Continentals and Cadillacs.

That is not to say that I'm not discounting getting one...
Old 05-07-2006, 09:25 PM
office monkey

I have no clue what was wrong with the LS you tested because it is easily a more powerful car and one can easily feel it. Your comment about it not shifting as smooth as the RL baffles me.

It is amusing to me how people can buy something and then have facts elude them. Is it just that they are bias and can't accept a different product can do something better than the one they bought or do they somehow not see the truth? I love my RL and feel it is an overall better package than the LS430 (more bang for the buck) but when I drive my folks' LS on occasion I can easily tell where it kicks the crap out of the RL and the LS is easily the quicker car and every single acceleration test known to man proves this.
Old 05-07-2006, 09:28 PM
office monkey

Originally Posted by bluemule
I sat in a LS430 a few weeks ago, and didn't like the look at all...it's huge...it's certainly a fine automobile...and quiet...the last Lexus I test drove, the salesman took me over an extremely rough stretch under construction...quite impressive.

One trait of many Lexus products that I've not particularly cared for is the boxy shape...about as exciting as an "appliance" (I didn't invent this term when describing a Lexus.) The RL seems designed to sit on its wheels, particularly if viewed from the front and back, whereas on many of the Lexus products, the wheels simply poke out from underneath that boxy body...often reminds me of old slab sided Lincoln Continentals and Cadillacs.

That is not to say that I'm not discounting getting one...
The LS has similar dimenions to the RL so if the LS is huge then so is the RL. No doubt the RL doesnt look as big but the fact is it is not much smaller than the LS.

Obviously styling is a subjective thing but I personally like the look of the LS. It screams out luxury to me which is IMO the whole point of the car. I'd say it and the RL in equal in exterior design as both have a different purpose/design philosophy.
Old 05-07-2006, 11:42 PM
Indian Acura Driver

Out of curiosity....were you comparing the two? The LS would be by far better...since the RL is a class underneath it...GS is the Lexus equivalent.
Old 05-08-2006, 05:55 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by lindros2
The current LS430 has a 282HP engine.

The new one (LS460 and LS600h) will be quite an improvement.

I think I have the wrong model. I did drive the new one.
Old 05-08-2006, 05:57 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Brown Chaos
Out of curiosity....were you comparing the two? The LS would be by far better...since the RL is a class underneath it...GS is the Lexus equivalent.

I drove the top of the line LS. I have driven both models and I still like the TL better
Old 05-08-2006, 06:03 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Rob L
I have no clue what was wrong with the LS you tested because it is easily a more powerful car and one can easily feel it. Your comment about it not shifting as smooth as the RL baffles me.

It is amusing to me how people can buy something and then have facts elude them. Is it just that they are bias and can't accept a different product can do something better than the one they bought or do they somehow not see the truth? I love my RL and feel it is an overall better package than the LS430 (more bang for the buck) but when I drive my folks' LS on occasion I can easily tell where it kicks the crap out of the RL and the LS is easily the quicker car and every single acceleration test known to man proves this.

I did not feel that the LS was more powerful. That is not what I felt. When I made a U turn and then floored the LS, the was an abrupt shift and then a lunge. I was suprised by this. Again for me the LS is not my type of car. I did not like it. Glad you like it though. Maybe when I get 70 I will appreicate it more.
Old 05-08-2006, 06:54 AM
bkw
Death to Dave Marek.

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My mother has on 06 LS430 on a 12mo lease until the 460 comes out and I've beat the crap out of the car. I agree with the 'float' comment, and doesnt feel quicker, but it certainly is more torque-ier, smoother and a hair larger than the RL. The transmission takes a split second longer to downshift, and sometimes feels like it's searching for the right gear, but once it finds it, it moves.

The current generation LS is very refined. Not one damn thing in the car rattles or creaks!
Old 05-08-2006, 10:04 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by bkw
My mother has on 06 LS430 on a 12mo lease until the 460 comes out and I've beat the crap out of the car. I agree with the 'float' comment, and doesnt feel quicker, but it certainly is more torque-ier, smoother and a hair larger than the RL. The transmission takes a split second longer to downshift, and sometimes feels like it's searching for the right gear, but once it finds it, it moves.

The current generation LS is very refined. Not one damn thing in the car rattles or creaks!
I agree that the car is refined and I noticed no rattles. I also have no rattles in my Rl as yet.
Old 05-08-2006, 02:27 PM
office monkey

While the LS is better in some areas the RL is better in some areas as well. I am probably the only person here who actually has driven both extensively and also love both cars so can make a good comparo. If one wants flat out pampered luxury then the LS is the way to go. If one wants a car that has good luxury along with great handling and stuff then the RL is the better car mainly because it is cheaper and its level of luxury is close to the LS and its handling is obviously better.
Old 05-08-2006, 02:33 PM
office monkey

Originally Posted by dwest1023
I did not feel that the LS was more powerful. That is not what I felt. When I made a U turn and then floored the LS, the was an abrupt shift and then a lunge. I was suprised by this. Again for me the LS is not my type of car. I did not like it. Glad you like it though. Maybe when I get 70 I will appreicate it more.
I wonder if this lack of powerful feeling you experienced is because the RL isn't as smooth and is louder and thus may seem quicker. I have noticed these things tend to make cars seem quicker than they are. The better a car decreases the feeling of speed the worse its perceived performance. Some complained about the RL not being quick compared to "lesser cars" when it came out but then realized it was because the RL was simply smoother than them and they didnt have the same sense of speed.

The abrupt shift/lunge you felt was the tranny kicking down a bundle of gears and all that crazy v8 power kicking in. The RL has a kickdown when you floor it but it doesn't have the same surge simply because its torque is inferior.

All I know is the LS is easily more powerful and my folks have a 01 LS430 so it only has the 5 speed auto. I'd imagine the 6 speed auto offers even better acceleration as is seen in test figures.

What was the LS equipped with that you drove? A base model? I ask because my folks have the LS with the ultra lux package and it has lower profile tires (compared to base model) and they are I believe summer tires. IT also ahs the air suspension with sport suspension mode. While the handling certainly isn't in RL or sports sedan territory the car hardly "floats" and has decent handling considering the point of the car- high end luxury.
Old 05-08-2006, 02:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

I wonder if this lack of powerful feeling you experienced is because the RL isn't as smooth and is louder and thus may seem quicker. I have noticed these things tend to make cars seem quicker than they are. The better a car decreases the feeling of speed the worse its perceived performance. Some complained about the RL not being quick compared to "lesser cars" when it came out but then realized it was because the RL was simply smoother than them and they didnt have the same sense of speed.

The abrupt shift/lunge you felt was the tranny kicking down a bundle of gears and all that crazy v8 power kicking in. The RL has a kickdown when you floor it but it doesn't have the same surge simply because its torque is inferior.

All I know is the LS is easily more powerful and my folks have a 01 LS430 so it only has the 5 speed auto. I'd imagine the 6 speed auto offers even better acceleration as is seen in test figures.

What was the LS equipped with that you drove? A base model? I ask because my folks have the LS with the ultra lux package and it has lower profile tires (compared to base model) and they are I believe summer tires. IT also ahs the air suspension with sport suspension mode. While the handling certainly isn't in RL or sports sedan territory the car hardly "floats" and has decent handling considering the point of the car- high end luxury.
Good points. I do not know what the trim level was., I just ask to drive one and I was handed the key. When I told the salesman I did not think the GS 300 was better than the Rl, I was told that I needed to compare it to the LS since the RL was Acura's top of the line. So.... and I still like the RL better. I am sorry, but in the Lexus I thought I was steering a cruise ship. Again when I get 70 maybe that kind of ride will appeal to me. Maybe the fact that I drove to the dealer in my Miata MX-5 had something to do with it. I am just happy to have had the chance to drive the Lexus and the infiniti, because now I know I am not missing anything.
Old 05-09-2006, 12:23 AM
Intermediate

There is a new LS (LS460) coming out for the year '07 and it will be a much better improvement.

The RL should be considered a sports sedan, not a flagship sedan... therefore, you should be more suitable if you compare it with the Lexus GS.
Old 05-09-2006, 02:51 AM
Indian Acura Driver

Originally Posted by Enclenta
There is a new LS (LS460) coming out for the year '07 and it will be a much better improvement.

The RL should be considered a sports sedan, not a flagship sedan... therefore, you should be more suitable if you compare it with the Lexus GS.

Yet, it seems to be both a Flagship sedan AND a sports sedan. Who'd of thought? Although Acura, once they introduce the V8, will probably build a competitor for that market. Except it'll have to have a RWD or SH-AWD(More likely) system, since FWD just won't cut it anymore in a car of that calibur. Only time will tell.

While the LS is better in some areas the RL is better in some areas as well. I am probably the only person here who actually has driven both extensively and also love both cars so can make a good comparo. If one wants flat out pampered luxury then the LS is the way to go. If one wants a car that has good luxury along with great handling and stuff then the RL is the better car mainly because it is cheaper and its level of luxury is close to the LS and its handling is obviously better.
Point taken. But that's also because both cars do different things. Like you said, pampered luxury is the way of the LS.

Out of curiosity then, since you've driven both (Lucky you.), what are the major differences then..i mean, since the GS and RL are equivalent and have all the same features...aside from the rear seats that recline (actually does the LS430 have that option?)...what are major differences....Hmm..how to put this...

How does the LS pamper you in a way. I drove the Q45 by Infiniti (For those who don't know, it's the LS fighter from Infiniti), and it didn't have anything to awe me, except for size and luxury, and smoothness....is that it...is it really worth the extra cash?

The LS460 seems so with more features (What do you need eight gears for?), 19 speakers, coolers, basically a Maybach fighter in a sense...but what does the LS430 have?

Did that make sense? Excuse me if it didn't, i'm a little tired and may not be thinking clearly.
Old 05-11-2006, 11:18 AM
office monkey

Point taken. But that's also because both cars do different things. Like you said, pampered luxury is the way of the LS.

Out of curiosity then, since you've driven both (Lucky you.), what are the major differences then..i mean, since the GS and RL are equivalent and have all the same features...aside from the rear seats that recline (actually does the LS430 have that option?)...what are major differences....Hmm..how to put this...

How does the LS pamper you in a way. I drove the Q45 by Infiniti (For those who don't know, it's the LS fighter from Infiniti), and it didn't have anything to awe me, except for size and luxury, and smoothness....is that it...is it really worth the extra cash?

The LS460 seems so with more features (What do you need eight gears for?), 19 speakers, coolers, basically a Maybach fighter in a sense...but what does the LS430 have?

Did that make sense? Excuse me if it didn't, i'm a little tired and may not be thinking clearly.
Yeah I hear what you're saying dude and it makes perfect sense.

Here is how the LS430 (the ultra lux at least) pampers and also in ways that it is superior to the RL in terms of luxury:

-the car is quiet. The level of quiteness in the LS is incredile and the RL is loud compared to it. At idle the RL is close but at speed the RL isn't a comparison. THe LS at 120km/h has the sound level of a car at say 80km.

-the LS is just so smooth in operation (ie tranny) and ride. I equate smoothness to luxury and it's hard to beat this car for smoothness. Yeah it gives you a surge when you floor it but that's the torque kicking in with the engine downshifting. The surge isn't jerky either like a car with a rough shifting tranny may have. The RL is smooth but it ain't LS430 smooth. The reaosn you dont get the surge that throws you back into the seat wiht the RL when you floor it is because it doesnt have the torque to do that. Does that mean it's slow? Nope as the RL is quick but it just doesnt have the same power.

-while I feel the RL's dash material is better (has a ncie soft feel to it) the LS's interior is just more luxurious looking and laid out. I love the RL's interior and layout but there is no doubt the LS' interior is more befitting of a high end luxury car. The wood, the controls, the feeling of the gearshift. The seats also are more "luxurious" although I prefer the RL's seats because they are more supportive for handling.

-the LS just has added touches...its mirrors power fold, everything in (all the covers, gloveboxes, coathanger things, etc) the interior has a smooth operation. The middle air registers have an option to swing side to side which is awesome. The moonroof is huge, there is tons of storage space, puddle lights outside under the mirrors, the doors are nice and thick. The headrests have power up/down which is far superior to manual adjustment since you can dial in the perfect height with power. The driver's seat has ajustment for the seat botom being extended to give better supports for the thigh and there is also dual lumbar. These are areas where it is superior to the RL. Also, its rear window sunshade is built to last and has smooth operation while the one in the RL is IMO a hunk of shit.

-the ultra package just raises the pampering to another level. The rear seats recline, the rear seats have massage, there are mroe vents in the back for air and also controls for the radio/climate system. The doors have power close so you just have to lightly bring them near closing and they will close themselves, the headline with the ultra lux package is a type of suede, a lot of the dash and console is made of leather, there is a built in cooler between the rear seats that can hold 6 cans of pop or whatever else that can fit in there. Car has laser cruise, air suspension (which me thinks the car the OP drove didn't have) and I believe the newer updated model (folks have 01 and lexus has added some stuff since then) has fully climate seats in the back (before it was just heated seats back there) and swivel reading lights.

Basically if you take a ride in both it should be clear the LS is the full on luxury car and it pampers you wiht the stuff above and just how it drives. Make no mistake, the RL has great luxury as well but it isnt up to LS levels and I think it is wrong for one to expect it to be because it is designed to be a different type of car. I have driven the every Lexus car model aside from the sc430 and the LS easily is more luxurious than the others and that includes the newer updated GS and IS despite again, the LS being a 5 yr old design. I can't even imagine what the LS460, LS600H will be like as they should dominate in this area.

The OP went on about the LS430 feeling like a cruise ship/boat...well that is what being pampered by luxury is. People do not go and buy full on luxury cars for sports car like handling. If a person wants the ability to carve up the road then the LS isn't for them but if they want a car that doesnt cost 300+ grand and gives them top end luxury then the LS is a great choice and THAT is what it is designed to-pamper the occupants with luxury. While people can compare all they want, it is IMO silly to compare the LS to the RL or to any car designed with handling in mind over luxury.

The boat thing is funny because my parents own a yacht and you know what? It is "boring" to drive and to ride in but it is luxurious. That to me is what full on luxury is about....and I dont think you need to be 70 to enjoy it. I'm 27 and enjoy being in the LS as much as I do my RL. Do I prefer to drive the RL? Usually because I like to have the extra handling ability but it is ncie to take the wheel of the LS and just enjoy the nice smooth quiet ride with its gobs of power and etxra little touches.
Old 05-11-2006, 11:23 AM
office monkey

BTW...the GS300/300AWD may be the direct competitor to the RL based on but IMO the 300AWD (which I drove) isn't as good as the RL. It is too much for what you get. The GS3 is the logical model of Lexus to compare wiht but I just feel the RL is between the GS and LS430. Still, I wouldnt compare the RL to the LS like the Lexus salesman told that guy to do. It does both cars a disservice since again, both cars are designed differently.
Old 05-11-2006, 12:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
Yup, Honda/Acura has NEVER made a car that competes with the Lexus LS. The current RL was not meant to be a "true" flagship like the LS. It would be nice if Acura made such a car, but I don't think anyone would buy it. Acura just doesn't have the brand cachet yet.
Old 05-11-2006, 03:15 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by jhr3uva90
The current RL was not meant to be a "true" flagship like the LS.
I'm not sure what you mean. The RL is the top of the line for Acura (discounting the NSX) - heck, it's top of the line for Honda. I would certainly call it a flagship, considering the technology involved. No, it does not compare to LS - the RL is a sports sedan after all. But IMHO, it's the best value for the $$$ when compared to the 525Xi, the C350, the M35 and the GS300.

And yes, it would be facinating to see what Honda could do in the 75,000+ range. Doesn't seem they are interested, though.
Old 05-11-2006, 05:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
By "true" flagship, I mean a full-sized sedan with at least a V8 engine and either AWD or RWD. I love my RL, but it's no S-class.
Old 05-16-2006, 12:03 PM
Advanced

BTW...the GS300/300AWD may be the direct competitor to the RL based on but IMO the 300AWD (which I drove) isn't as good as the RL. It is too much for what you get. The GS3 is the logical model of Lexus to compare wiht but I just feel the RL is between the GS and LS430. Still, I wouldnt compare the RL to the LS like the Lexus salesman told that guy to do. It does both cars a disservice since again, both cars are designed differently.
Totally agree.

And like you, having owned both cars, I agree on the other points stated above in your comparo. The only thing I would add, and the only reason I sold the Lexus, is the SH-AWD. True luxury is having the confidence that driving at highway speeds in rain, sleet and the rest of the Michigan crud that I deal with I never get the cold sweats that the car is slipping away. Just point and shoot. The paddle shifters also provide additional control when a lower gear is your friend.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:04 AM
office monkey

Yeah I totally agree about the SH-AWD system and IMO Lexus should offer AWD on all their top model configs not just on the GS300 and IS250. I know it will be on the LS600H but it'd be cool if they added it to the LS460 as well. They also should copy a system like Acura uses because it is great since it improves handling and offers good traction under not so great conditions.
Old 05-17-2006, 01:41 PM
Pimp Master T

Yeah I hear what you're saying dude and it makes perfect sense.

Here is how the LS430 (the ultra lux at least) pampers and also in ways that it is superior to the RL in terms of luxury:

-the car is quiet. The level of quiteness in the LS is incredile and the RL is loud compared to it. At idle the RL is close but at speed the RL isn't a comparison. THe LS at 120km/h has the sound level of a car at say 80km.

-the LS is just so smooth in operation (ie tranny) and ride. I equate smoothness to luxury and it's hard to beat this car for smoothness. Yeah it gives you a surge when you floor it but that's the torque kicking in with the engine downshifting. The surge isn't jerky either like a car with a rough shifting tranny may have. The RL is smooth but it ain't LS430 smooth. The reaosn you dont get the surge that throws you back into the seat wiht the RL when you floor it is because it doesnt have the torque to do that. Does that mean it's slow? Nope as the RL is quick but it just doesnt have the same power.

-while I feel the RL's dash material is better (has a ncie soft feel to it) the LS's interior is just more luxurious looking and laid out. I love the RL's interior and layout but there is no doubt the LS' interior is more befitting of a high end luxury car. The wood, the controls, the feeling of the gearshift. The seats also are more "luxurious" although I prefer the RL's seats because they are more supportive for handling.

-the LS just has added touches...its mirrors power fold, everything in (all the covers, gloveboxes, coathanger things, etc) the interior has a smooth operation. The middle air registers have an option to swing side to side which is awesome. The moonroof is huge, there is tons of storage space, puddle lights outside under the mirrors, the doors are nice and thick. The headrests have power up/down which is far superior to manual adjustment since you can dial in the perfect height with power. The driver's seat has ajustment for the seat botom being extended to give better supports for the thigh and there is also dual lumbar. These are areas where it is superior to the RL. Also, its rear window sunshade is built to last and has smooth operation while the one in the RL is IMO a hunk of shit.

-the ultra package just raises the pampering to another level. The rear seats recline, the rear seats have massage, there are mroe vents in the back for air and also controls for the radio/climate system. The doors have power close so you just have to lightly bring them near closing and they will close themselves, the headline with the ultra lux package is a type of suede, a lot of the dash and console is made of leather, there is a built in cooler between the rear seats that can hold 6 cans of pop or whatever else that can fit in there. Car has laser cruise, air suspension (which me thinks the car the OP drove didn't have) and I believe the newer updated model (folks have 01 and lexus has added some stuff since then) has fully climate seats in the back (before it was just heated seats back there) and swivel reading lights.

Basically if you take a ride in both it should be clear the LS is the full on luxury car and it pampers you wiht the stuff above and just how it drives. Make no mistake, the RL has great luxury as well but it isnt up to LS levels and I think it is wrong for one to expect it to be because it is designed to be a different type of car. I have driven the every Lexus car model aside from the sc430 and the LS easily is more luxurious than the others and that includes the newer updated GS and IS despite again, the LS being a 5 yr old design. I can't even imagine what the LS460, LS600H will be like as they should dominate in this area.

The OP went on about the LS430 feeling like a cruise ship/boat...well that is what being pampered by luxury is. People do not go and buy full on luxury cars for sports car like handling. If a person wants the ability to carve up the road then the LS isn't for them but if they want a car that doesnt cost 300+ grand and gives them top end luxury then the LS is a great choice and THAT is what it is designed to-pamper the occupants with luxury. While people can compare all they want, it is IMO silly to compare the LS to the RL or to any car designed with handling in mind over luxury.

The boat thing is funny because my parents own a yacht and you know what? It is "boring" to drive and to ride in but it is luxurious. That to me is what full on luxury is about....and I dont think you need to be 70 to enjoy it. I'm 27 and enjoy being in the LS as much as I do my RL. Do I prefer to drive the RL? Usually because I like to have the extra handling ability but it is ncie to take the wheel of the LS and just enjoy the nice smooth quiet ride with its gobs of power and etxra little touches.
I'm just curious what you and your family does for a living, I mean you are 27 with $60K+ car and you family owns a yatch, nice man!
Old 05-18-2006, 07:56 AM
office monkey

financial advisors.