Test driving the New RL vs TL tech?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 04:28 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Test driving the New RL vs TL tech?

So my mom has been thinking about getting a new car. She's leaning towards getting either the RL or the TL and wanted to have my opinion so I went by myself so i could get a feel for both of them. When I got there I told the salesman what my views were of the TL and the RL and he said ok well that's good but let me give you the chance to drive both of them. I drove the TL tech version first and I thought it was an amazing car, and that it's always eager to have something thrown at it to test it and I loved it so much I wanted to try a step up the TL SH-AWD...sadly when we got back the ONLY one on the lot was being solddd as soon as we got there!!!!! But instead I asked to get a feel of the RL the salesman told me if would be a totally different feel and that I would like this one better, I said it would rather appeal to an older person because of the styling and more younger guys like me like the TL. After driving the RL SH-AWD. My views have totally changed. It's faster, it comes with almost all of the same features and more, it handles better and although decieving to the eye it is a lot better than the TL. I was taken back because I've always been set on the TL looks and performance wise but the RL is more than meets the eye I guess you could say. Hm...if I had gotten the chance to test the TL SH-AWD I do believe I would hands down pick the TL but the regular TL tech vs the RL? What do you guys think....although it hurts to say it I think I might like the RL better in this one.
Old 02-11-2012, 05:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Driving dynamics wise, the TL SH-AWD will be the leader due to its weight difference...but, the RL woops the TL when it comes to build, parts and assembly quality. TL has the advantage on the technology side, since Acura hasn't updated the RL. It's going to be a tough call between the two. The TL is cheaper, but the RL isn't a huge seller..so, you may be able to finagle a larger discount.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:28 PM
Safety Car

Received 88 Likes on 79 Posts
I would wait until 2013 RL comes out, if you still like the RL better the 2012 will have a much better discount.

TL tech would be much better on gas.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:33 PM
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts
My $.02!!!

I recently sold my 2007 RL with 164,000 miles and bought a 2010 RL with the Tech package. Driving many miles and reading many articles on safety and reliabilty, I am sold on Acura and Lexus. These cars are just about bullet proof if you do the required maintenance. I did not have one problem with my 2007 RL. It did not burn a drop of oil. I loved every 164,000 miles that I drove. I kept an open mind while deciding on a new car and considered the Lexus ES ,LS and GS. Each in their different ways are great cars but IMO did not measure up to the 2010 RL.

I recently had some maintence items done and was given a 2012 TL as a loaner. I had it two days and I was surprisingly impressed. I have two close friends that have a 2009 and 2010 TL and both love their cars. I was very excited however to get my RL back. Again the TL was great but some things that I did not like was the emergency brake on the center console. It is ugly and takes up room and I have never used an emergency brake. No other luxury car has one on the console. Come on Acura put it on the floor where it belongs. I prefer light color interiors and did not like the black dash in the TL. I have had dark dashes awhile back and swore that I would never own a car with one. They show every piece of dust and lint and look hot and do not match the rest of the interior. The chrome roof strips again IMO are to much contrast. I rather have them the color of the paint as on the RL. I also like the wood interior trim and steering wheel of the RL rather than the brushed metal in the TL.

Buying new, the TL is a better bargain. I learned however that I will never buy a new car and lose all that value after one to two years. My 2010 RL with 25,000 miles with white exterior and ivory interior cost $33,500. I just did a search on Cars.com for 2010 TL's with Tech package and AWD and the prices were what I paid for the RL. My point is used the RL is a much better deal.

Your Mom will be pleased with either of these great rides. They are different however so it just comes down to that old personal opinion.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,247 Likes on 4,858 Posts
You get what you pay for.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:06 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 846 Posts
you are comparing apples and oranges.

I read a lot of what you think and feel, but what does your mom want in a car?
Old 02-12-2012, 02:34 AM
Banned

Received 113 Likes on 91 Posts
Originally Posted by HEAVY_RL
you are comparing apples and oranges.

I read a lot of what you think and feel, but what does your mom want in a car?
Exactly. You'll def find the ride more forgiving in the RL for your mom vs. the TL. Your mom could care less about the VGA nav screen in the TL that's not in the RL. My mom went from MDX w/ tech pkg to a CRV w/ Navi and she never even commented on the resolution differences.
The following users liked this post:
HEAVY_RL (02-12-2012)
Old 02-12-2012, 12:23 PM
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
Your how old? 27.... So your mom is roughly 60ish...

She will like the rl better.... That's who it is marketed for. What you like is irrelevant. You are there to help your mom pick the best car for HER.

You can help her identify the major differences, and what each model provides... Pros and cons.... But let her make the final call.

While some 50+ year old people will prefer the TL, I suspect most people in that age bracket will prefer the RL.

the tl is sportier and more responsive.....but that appeals less and less to people as they age. Trust me. The rl is built better, and is far more comfortable for cruising the freeway or commuting.

Let her take them for a spin and let us know which she preferred. Good luck. Either way, they are both great cars.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:33 PM
2020 Acura RLX Advance

Received 178 Likes on 100 Posts
Acura has cut the production of the 2012 RL down so drastically that very few dealers actually have RL's to sell. I live near the highest volume Acura dealership in the country. They had a 2012 Silver RL tech in just a few weeks ago and sold it right away. Their next RL due into them has not even been produced at the factory in Japan yet. Talk about tight supply.

I was considering a 2012 RL Advance. The problem is there is very little discounting being offered since there is next to no inventory/supply. When I purchased my RL in Spring 2008 the dealers were taking $9k off the MSRP of any new 2008 RL in-stock and there were plenty.

I put 165k on my 2006 RL CMBS in 3.5 years.....most enjoyable and most reliable car I have ever owned. Heading to the NYC Auto show next month to see the 2013 RL.

I have driven the TL SH-AWD 6 speed. Great driving car, but cannot get past the cheapened interior (compared to 2008 model) and doors that sound and feel like tin cans when you close them.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:44 AM
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
you think the newer TL has a cheaper interior than the 2008? i think the new TL feels mor modern.... but I've never comported them back to back to see which one was truly better made / more luxurious.

before I bought my RL..the only other Acura that I almost bought was a 2007-2008 TL type S.