Tech Package and the PAX dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 09:45 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Question Tech Package and the PAX dilemma

I'm getting ready to buy a 06 RL and am debating whether to go with the Tech Package or not. I wish I could get the CMBS and Radar Cruise with out committing to the PAX tires for life. I worry about the higher unsprung weight, limited availability in remote areas, replacement costs, and inability to choose a different tire down the road if I'm not happy with them. Has anyone removed the PAX tires and gone to the regular wheels and tires? Is it even possible or are the stud sizes and placement or rotors different?
Any experience or thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 09-15-2006, 09:59 AM
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
dont worry about it. I have it.
You can remove the PAX wheels and put on regular 18" rims and tires as log as you buy from acura the TMPS transmitters to mount on the rims (not expensive).
Actually the PAX tires are nice- and the comfort of not having to fix a flat in remote areas is a huge benefit when you have to deal with limited availability.
But every Acura dealer is supposed to be able to service these tires either with equipement or by ordering a replacement package and just rating you for tire wear if the tire is unrepairable.
Old 09-15-2006, 10:12 AM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
Would the dealer swap out the PAX tires for a regular set with another RL on the lot?
Old 09-15-2006, 11:01 AM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kmcheney
I'm getting ready to buy a 06 RL and am debating whether to go with the Tech Package or not. I wish I could get the CMBS and Radar Cruise with out committing to the PAX tires for life. I worry about the higher unsprung weight, limited availability in remote areas, replacement costs, and inability to choose a different tire down the road if I'm not happy with them. Has anyone removed the PAX tires and gone to the regular wheels and tires? Is it even possible or are the stud sizes and placement or rotors different?
I have an 06 rl and debated the same decision.....I wished they offered the tech pkg w/o the PAX. Acura replaces the trunk room for the spare with a storage compartment instead, leaving nowplace to store the spare if you decide to swap out the pax. I little research will show mixed results with users of the pax system. You'll also be able to negotiate a much better price on the car w/o the tech pkg. I bought my rl for 41,300, leaving me room to upgrade to the A-SPEC suspension and 18" rims with P-Zero tires. It really made a difference in the road noise and handling. Having owned BMW and Porsche models, I found the the same road feel with the upgrade. Total price still came in under 46K, which is about what you should expect to pay for the RL w/ tech. The choice is yours, have fun....
Old 09-15-2006, 03:57 PM
Instructor

Talking

Originally Posted by Javadog
I have an 06 rl and debated the same decision.....I wished they offered the tech pkg w/o the PAX. Acura replaces the trunk room for the spare with a storage compartment instead, leaving nowplace to store the spare if you decide to swap out the pax. I little research will show mixed results with users of the pax system. You'll also be able to negotiate a much better price on the car w/o the tech pkg. I bought my rl for 41,300, leaving me room to upgrade to the A-SPEC suspension and 18" rims with P-Zero tires. It really made a difference in the road noise and handling. Having owned BMW and Porsche models, I found the the same road feel with the upgrade. Total price still came in under 46K, which is about what you should expect to pay for the RL w/ tech. The choice is yours, have fun....

I did the exact same thing. Feel is way better than 2005.5 Audi S4 (B7, the current model....). Only thing the S4 has on this car is torque...and to be honest, I was getting 12 mpg...

I love the RL with the above....smoked/black chrome A-spec wheels looked better than expected!

JB
Old 09-15-2006, 08:13 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by kmcheney
Last time I have heard, a member Qatar from this board was told that he can't install any A-Spec wheels on the Tech RL, due to bolt pattern to be different.
So you might want to check this with the dealer.
Just my 2 cents.........If this is the case go with non Tech, since the RL looks awsome with A-Spec wheels and kit! I have both, and love it........totaly new look!
Old 09-21-2006, 09:30 AM
Greedy Capitalist Pig

I have an '06 with the tech package. I was concerned about this at first as well. But after 6 months on the PAX tires, I have no complaints. They are a very good tire. They handle well, grip in the rain well, and are reasonably quiet. I prefer Pirelli tires on my cars and had them on my last two Mercedes. While the PAX tires are no Pirelli, they are still a very good tire.

The adaptive cruise is what really sealed the deal for the tech package. Its awesome. Better than the adaptive cruise in the 90K Mercedes S550. The tech package is worth it.
Old 09-21-2006, 10:27 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jcb-memphis
I did the exact same thing. Feel is way better than 2005.5 Audi S4 (B7, the current model....). Only thing the S4 has on this car is torque...and to be honest, I was getting 12 mpg...

I love the RL with the above....smoked/black chrome A-spec wheels looked better than expected!

JB
for the love of god please post pics Looking to get an RL with A-SPEC sometime next year. Would love to see some pics of your car.

Are the PAX tires not available for A-SPEC size rims (i believe they're 18's right?).
Old 09-22-2006, 07:11 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Smile I went with the tech package

Well I got the RL, Celestial Silver with Tech. I negotiated the deal with wood wheel, shifter, splash guards, back-up camera, trunk tray, spoiler, and all weather mats installed. I picked it up a couple of days ago. The tech is nearly overwhelming and most impressive. I really enjoyed the adaptive cruise control for the 110 mile drive home. It's awesome how it can isolate a car in your lane and adjust the speed accordingly. Now to get a clear bra installed.
Old 09-22-2006, 07:47 AM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts
I also own an 06 RL with the Tech Package and am quite pleased with it.

The PAX tires are performing to my satisfaction and they seem to be quieter than the standard tires that come with the RL (I determined this by test driving both a Tech Package car and a non-Tech Package car before deciding on which to purchase.)

I use and enjoy the adaptive cruise control every day, and I like the CBMS system too. The CMBS system has engaged for me on several occasions over the last six months of my ownership. Although I don't think it prevented any accidents, it certainly alerted me to pay more attention to the road and the car in front of me. The CMBS seems to be functioning properly and I'm glad to have it - I think it's a safety feature worthy of some kind of insurance discount, but my guess is that it's such a new safety feature that the insurance industry has been unable to evaluate it yet?
Old 09-22-2006, 11:34 AM
Cruisin'

Tech package

I have the Tech option. The crusie control is wonderful. The CBMS has kept me from hitting someone in the rear once already. I like the fact of not having to be concerned with a flat tire. Moreover I added the stiffer suspension, it give a great ride. More European.
Old 09-22-2006, 06:46 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by vishnus11
for the love of god please post pics Looking to get an RL with A-SPEC sometime next year. Would love to see some pics of your car.

Are the PAX tires not available for A-SPEC size rims (i believe they're 18's right?).

Please see the photo section at the top of the 2nd generation forum page.....JB