Surprised at SH-AWD activity!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 09:57 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Thumbs up Surprised at SH-AWD activity!

I switched to the SH-AWD display on the MID today, and watched it a little in normal driving. I expected to see little activity, since I figured it operated mostly on those rainy mountain curves they show in the ads and in the brochure.

But just accelerating and coasting and other normal driving maneuvers make it switch torque from front to rear frequently. Maybe I'm a little more impressed with SH-AWD than I expected to be ...

(Add that to the other things about the car that have impressed me so far!)
Old 10-05-2006, 09:04 AM
office monkey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gun it while going into a curve and you can see the system do its pimping
Old 10-05-2006, 10:23 AM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
Originally Posted by Rob L
gun it while going into a curve and you can see the system do its pimping
Be careful though. Taking your eyes off of the road, particularly in spirited cornering could be dangerous.
Old 10-05-2006, 11:42 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I've seen it send more power to the outer wheel on a aggressive turn, but yes you have to be really careful in watching it while you drive. Despite all the body lean the car tracks and grips really well for stock.
Old 10-05-2006, 12:23 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
the new MDX moved the MID to the top of the gauges. That would've been cool if RL had it higher to see SH-AWD in action
Old 10-05-2006, 01:15 PM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
Originally Posted by static808
the new MDX moved the MID to the top of the gauges. That would've been cool if RL had it higher to see SH-AWD in action
Heads-up-display would be even better.
Old 10-05-2006, 06:13 PM
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 40 Posts
I have a hard time adjusting to driving the RL. In my TL or the 530i I drive, when i'm trying to straighten the car out after hard cornering or a quick lane change, it comes naturally to me. In this car, it seems like the car and I are arguiing and its trying to do for me what I was already going to do for myself, so I keep having to readjust. Its nervewracking. Anyone else with similar experiences?
Old 10-11-2006, 07:53 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by TheAcAvenger
I have a hard time adjusting to driving the RL. In my TL or the 530i I drive, when i'm trying to straighten the car out after hard cornering or a quick lane change, it comes naturally to me. In this car, it seems like the car and I are arguiing and its trying to do for me what I was already going to do for myself, so I keep having to readjust. Its nervewracking. Anyone else with similar experiences?
Speaking only for myself and acknowledging that my driving experience in cars other than the ones I've owned is limited, I find that the RL requires more "attention" and "driver input" to keep in the road. I'm not saying the car is "twitchy." But, for myself, this characteristic makes the RL "harder" to drive due to constant steering wheel input. I'm not complaining about the driving experience, because it certainly is a very nice car, but I have concluded after driving mine for awhile that this is not something that I'm particularly fond of.

BTW, I test drove a 2007 530I BMW today. I found its handling to be "lighter" and more "intuitive" than the RL's. I didn't feel that I had to watch the road as intently to keep it in the lane. I was much less impressed with the interior...the RL's is much more friendly and nicer. The BMW seats seemed more comfortable than the 2007 Lexus GS350 I sat in, but didn't drive. And, maybe because I've gotten used to mine, I thought the RL seats were as comfortable, if not more so, than either.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:36 PM
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts
I've found SH AWD and the rather sensitive steering input pretty easy to get used to in my RL. Driven BMW 3's and 5's, an old Jag and two Preludes (without SH) before this. And like Mike_TX says, its really cool when you can see the torque transfer working while cornering. Outside rear wheel when entering the curve, then all four wheels when you reach the apex and hit the accel. This SH AWD really works and I feel much safer entering a curve or taking winding roads. Even though the center of gravity on the RL is much higher than on my old low slung Prelude, I can corner faster, with a lot more confidence. Acura did a great job on this one.
Old 10-12-2006, 07:52 AM
'06 RL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TheAcAvenger
The TL's FWD, the 530i's RWD.

Ever driven an AWD vehicle? There are definitely handling differences. It takes some getting used to.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:21 AM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Originally Posted by bluemule
Speaking only for myself and acknowledging that my driving experience in cars other than the ones I've owned is limited, I find that the RL requires more "attention" and "driver input" to keep in the road. I'm not saying the car is "twitchy." But, for myself, this characteristic makes the RL "harder" to drive due to constant steering wheel input. I'm not complaining about the driving experience, because it certainly is a very nice car, but I have concluded after driving mine for awhile that this is not something that I'm particularly fond of.

BTW, I test drove a 2007 530I BMW today. I found its handling to be "lighter" and more "intuitive" than the RL's. I didn't feel that I had to watch the road as intently to keep it in the lane. I was much less impressed with the interior...the RL's is much more friendly and nicer. The BMW seats seemed more comfortable than the 2007 Lexus GS350 I sat in, but didn't drive. And, maybe because I've gotten used to mine, I thought the RL seats were as comfortable, if not more so, than either.

Wow, Mule - don't you have something like 47,000 miles on your RL? If you didn't, I might suggest your alignment is off.

I'll admit I haven't done a lot of "roadwork" with mine yet, but I haven't noticed it wandering. In fact, it seems pretty well glued down so far. I'll know in a month, though, since we're making a Thanksgiving run to California ... over 4,000 miles by the time we get back.

BTW, I had the same feeling you describe in my M45 when out on the road. I drive two cars on a regular basis, and it always took me a while to readjust to the M when I drove it.
Old 10-12-2006, 01:27 PM
'05 Acura RL - CGP/Ebony

Originally Posted by bluemule

I haven't found any difficulty in keeping my RL exactly where I want tit to go and it takes extremely little (read that to say It takes almost nothing) to keep in in the lane. As a matter of fact, I find it to be the least "twitchy" car I've ever driven, requiring no attention to stay in the lane -- or certainly on the road.

Sorry to disagree with your assement but perhaps there's something wrong with your car to have sich a different experience. (Alignment?, Tires)
Old 10-12-2006, 04:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Same here, my RL tracks great on a straight road and high speed stability is amazing. I'd check the toe on the car to see if it's 0
Old 10-12-2006, 07:19 PM
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by jftjr
The TL's FWD, the 530i's RWD.

Ever driven an AWD vehicle? There are definitely handling differences. It takes some getting used to.

Haha! Well, I got to have some sweet seat time in the A8L last weekend. But I mean, its a much bigger, heavier car. It definitely feels alot more mechanical, and you dont exactly push it the same way you would the RL. It is definitely one awe inspiring ride though. But i'm sure you're right, I just need to get used to it. It's definitely a noticeable change, but a very fun one at that