Steering wheel not dropping back down after startup...

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 09:36 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering wheel not dropping back down after startup...

Hey guys. I have an 05 rl with Acura Music Link installed. Do you think this could cause my steering wheel to not drop down after start up? If I leave the key in the accessory position, then it drops back down, but if I start the car before it has come all the way down, then it studders and stops and I have to manually adjust it as I am driving. My dealer is clueless about the issue and keeps telling me about some false "codes" in the rl computer. Thanks for any help!
Old 03-26-2007, 01:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Mine drops down after I turn the engine off. When I start it, it comes up to my pre-set position.

LL
Old 03-26-2007, 02:26 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
I wonder if it is related to a key fob issue. You tried the unlink, relink, restart the car, set up everything as you like, shut down the car, lock it, unlock it with the same key fob, and it should remember.

If there are false codes in the computer, any way to clear the computer and reset everything as if the car were new?
Old 03-26-2007, 07:16 PM
Racer

I had the same issue but to a minor extend. The wheel would not come back to it memorized position but close. I could tell because the memory light on the door was not lit, if I hit it the steering wheel would move slightly. The dealer thought it was a battery issue and replaced it. But that was not it. It is a very minor problem so I blew it off.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:27 PM
10th Gear

I have tried re-pairing the fob and every other thing under the sun. It comes back down if I dont start the car but only leave it in accessory. After it comes back to its memory location, then I can start the car. I always get an 06 rl when my car is in for service and it does not have this issue. This is a big anoyance for me because, I drive with the stearing wheel fully extended and have to either wait before starting the car or adjust it after already driving. To the guy who has had a similar issue, do you have acura music link installed?

Thanks guys for trying to help.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:49 PM
6th Gear

I have the same exact issue. I started noticing it about 4 months ago and its becoming really annoying. It's like the memory position button doesn't remember every time. You can start the car and then press the Memory 1 button and its returns to the correct position. I believe it to be bad memory or store location. I need to clear the FLASH (remove the battery) and reset and see if it sticks. A pain but only way to know for sure.

I have all the links and that is not causing it. Completely seperate systems. Most dealers have no clue about the electronics on these vehicles. They have trouble using their computers as it is. I keep you posted.
Old 03-29-2007, 09:09 AM
10th Gear

hey donger. thanks for the feeback. did you say you have acura music link for the ipod installed in your car? do you have an 05rl? My dealer did try to disconnect the battery and repair the fob but it did not work for us. My car has never had a problem recognizing the fobs. Yet they are totally clueless. They are now talking about replacing the entire stearing column.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:30 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do the fobs have replaceable batteries? If so, could it be the key fob battery needing replacing? I have had this happen lately on my 05 as well .
Old 03-30-2007, 07:13 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts
I do not have the problem if I lock with the dimple and unlock by touching the door. If you lock by pressing the inside door lock or by using the lock button on the fob, it sometimes does not work as reliably with respect to recalling the memory.
Old 03-30-2007, 07:16 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by bigwormie
II drive with the stearing wheel fully extended and have to either wait before starting the car or adjust it after already driving.
Thanks guys for trying to help.
I drive with the wheel all the way down and with it closest to me but it seems that Honda is notorious for a lack of range. Most other cars allow the wheel to be almost vertical in the down position but Hondas lowest is similar to GM's mid range. Also, with the steering wheel in my preferred position, it covers the guages at the top. Does anybody else find this?
Old 04-15-2007, 08:31 AM
6th Gear

*** Solved ***

The fix is simple but should still be reviewed as a problem from Acura. The dealer and I spent some time testing. It turns out to be the battery was weak and did not provide enough power while cranking the engine to run all components; hence, the steering column would return to position in ACC mode but not while starting the vehicle.

This was a pain but they replaced the battery under warranty so I didn't mind.
Old 04-15-2007, 12:14 PM
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
One thing to always think about is the other fob. If the other fob has been activated in the interim, you have to lock and unlock the doors with the fob so the system recognizes your settings! The 2004 TL had issues with the memmory settings (they were fixed with a TSB), my RL has not.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:33 AM
10th Gear

Thanks for the update guys. I just left a message for my service advisor to get my new battery. Will repot back with findings.
Old 05-12-2007, 08:31 PM
10th Gear

Ok, just wanted to report back and...A new battery fixed my issue. Thanks for the info donger. I am starting to believe that the service advisors have NO clue what they are talking about. After FOUR months of going back and forth with them, from them saying they were going to replace parts in the steering column, to saying that there were some bogus "codes" in the computer, I FINALLY convinced them to change the battery, and what do you know? It fixed it. Apparently my battery was only putting out 1/3 of the power that it was supposed to. Both my service advisor and the manager looked at me like I was crazy when I insisted it was the battery. Can anyone say "eat crow". The thing I am bothered about now, is they did not close my case and from what I understand, Acura corporate will never know of the problem/solution. DOPES!
Old 05-12-2007, 08:58 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think there is a setting in the MID is to move the wheel. Did you check that?
Old 05-13-2007, 06:50 AM
10th Gear

Huh? I dont understand your question? I was just reporting back to say (like the other poster) that our problem was fixed by replacing the battery.

Thanks.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:30 AM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Could this be my problem too?

I'm having problems getting the two driver settings to initialize when we get in the car. It doesn't always recognize the other driver. For example; if driver 1 came home last night and parked the car in the garage but then driver 2 gets in the car the next morning, it will still say Welcome Driver 1 and leave all the settings positioned for Driver 1. This is annoying. Especially if I'm trying to get into the car with the seat all the way forward because my wife drove it last. Also, the program settings will remain with the last driver.

After reading this entire thread it sounds like the problem sometimes is the battery -- but this is a new car and I presume the battery's are new also. Secondly, it seems to work reliably if I always remember to lock the car first. I think I read that was a solution for someone. Is that the answer? Do we ALWAYS need to lock the car for it to recognize the next driver? if so, that's a poor design. We don't lock the car in our garage at night.
Old 05-13-2007, 10:02 AM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by SpicyMikey
I'm having problems getting the two driver settings to initialize when we get in the car. It doesn't always recognize the other driver. For example; if driver 1 came home last night and parked the car in the garage but then driver 2 gets in the car the next morning, it will still say Welcome Driver 1 and leave all the settings positioned for Driver 1. This is annoying. Especially if I'm trying to get into the car with the seat all the way forward because my wife drove it last. Also, the program settings will remain with the last driver.

After reading this entire thread it sounds like the problem sometimes is the battery -- but this is a new car and I presume the battery's are new also. Secondly, it seems to work reliably if I always remember to lock the car first. I think I read that was a solution for someone. Is that the answer? Do we ALWAYS need to lock the car for it to recognize the next driver? if so, that's a poor design. We don't lock the car in our garage at night.
No, we have that as well. It's usually when a different driver gets in an unlocked car. For some reason, the car only resets to the different driver when it unlocks the doors.

So if you either hit the unlock button on the fob (regardless of whether it is locked) or always lock the car so that when you unlock the door next time (either by grabbing the handle or using the fob) it forces the car to recall the owner settings based on the fob.

It's a quirk.
Old 05-13-2007, 10:19 AM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Hmmm, that's one hell of a quirk. I'd call it more of a design flaw. All they need to do is read the fob being recognized at the drivers door handle when it's touched and then trigger the setup. I'm surprised a 3rd year model still has that flaw.
Old 05-13-2007, 10:40 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Originally Posted by GoHawks
No, we have that as well. It's usually when a different driver gets in an unlocked car. For some reason, the car only resets to the different driver when it unlocks the doors.

So if you either hit the unlock button on the fob (regardless of whether it is locked) or always lock the car so that when you unlock the door next time (either by grabbing the handle or using the fob) it forces the car to recall the owner settings based on the fob.

It's a quirk.
I noticed the same. In order for the RL to recognize the the alternate fob, it must be 'released from duty' of the last driver. The way to do this is by locking the car (with the remote or the touch lock). The next time the RL is ulocked it will initialize the settings of the fob it unlocks with.

My rule of thumb...lock the car, even in the garage.

Now if I could just be bothered to initialize all my settings for Driver 2 fob. The few times I used it, it appeared my RL was having amnesia. I never set my personal settings with Driver 2, so it was in factory settings mode. I though it was odd when I got into the car and the steering wheel did not adjust (not set in the MID for Driver 2) ugh:

I wish there was a simple way to save all Driver 1 settings to Driver 2.