Steering Column movement

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 07:08 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Took the RL in for B1 service yesterday. I told them that I wanted them to address a few things.

The passenger door handle had been DOA for a couple months and the driver's door handle was circling the drain. I also expressed my displeasure that they never got this issue addressed with the steering column.

I reiterated that I thought it was the battery due to the fact that it happened mostly with the cold weather. Last time I was in there they started saying that it could be the body control computer, memory control module (not sure that's the correct name), or the actual steering column itself. While the car is under warranty, I was just concerned that they were going to start tearing the car apart replacing parts.

Got the call last night that they were replacing both door handles, but they were still working to recreate the issue with the steering column. I didn't hold out much hope as the temp outside is in the 40s, and if it was indoors I doubt it would happen again.

Well to my surprise tonight I get a call from the SM. He stated that they were able to recreate the problem consistently. He did say that it was a voltage issue, but it wasn't the battery. I can't remember if the part was actually a voltage regulator as I remember in my high school grease monkey days, or a "voltage control module".

Nonetheless they seemed certain that it was the cause of the problem and even stated they were on the phone with Acura Tech line. What convinced them was that they were able to recreate a situation where the steering column wouldn't fully retract, and that occurs when the car is off and there isn't a drain on the battery.

They ordered the part and expect to get it in tomorrow. I wonder if the cold weather actually accentuates the issue because the battery is under strain.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:55 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Picked it up today. In addition to the regulator, they also replaced the battery!! That's in addition to getting both door handles replaced again.

Hopefully it's addressed once and for all.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
I had my RL in for the B1 service today. The steering wheel not extending was resolved with a new battery (under warranty)! I'm impressed that a nearly 3-year-old battery is replaced free.

I had a 2009 TSX with NAV & backup camera as a loaner. The backup camera is much sharper than my '06 RL's. I thought the NAV was bit nicer, too. The menus were nicer; I liked that NAV traffic showed up at the 1/4, 1/8, and 1/20 settings; I also liked that the NAV traffic reported freeway congestion and not just incidents; the weather was a bit of a gimmick, but entertaining. I thought the TSX rode nicely, and was pretty solid. I did not find the driver's seat comfortable -- the 2008 TSX fit me better. I thought that the back seat room seemed kind of small for a car the size of the TSX. I thought the radio was so-so. The dashboard was kind of busy, and not that attractive. I kind of missed the simplicity and style of the G1 TSX.

Overall, though, I'd give the TSX a solid thumbs-up. Well-equipped, decent looking, smooth and solid.

But I'm spoiled by my RL.

Rob144
Old 12-09-2009, 08:36 PM
2020 Acura RLX Advance

Received 178 Likes on 100 Posts
I have noticed that my 2006 RL with 81k miles does not return the wheel to the memory position most of the time now. I am going to have the battery checked as the car is also cranking slower.

My dad had the same issue on his 2003 Lexus LS430 as the battery was going out and Lexus told him this is a sign of a weak battery. Once he replaced the battery no more issues on his Lexus relative to the automatic wheel.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:44 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Intermittent Steering Wheel Preset Issue

My problem is not the same as the OP but, I believe, similar: I can unlock the car by touching the driver's door handle but the steering wheel does not always go to the Driver 1 preset position. The "1" button on the driver door flashes but does not go steady on (unless I hit the "1" button).

I cannot got to the dealer with that problem because this is happening about 50% of the time. And you know what happens when you go to the dealer with an intermittent problem, it never happens to them. This means that for 50% of the time with the same FOB, the steering wheel preset will work as expected. I have no clue why this is happening. (note same is happening with the Driver 2 FOB)

Could it be cold weather? (It didn't do that last winter though) Or just cold weather and FOB battery? Could it be related to the maintenance I had done on the car in the fall (which caused the radio security code to disappear)? I thought re-sync-ing could help but since it is working properly ½ the time I figure the re-sync would not help.

I know this is not a major issue but it is annoying. Any advice will be appreciated.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 85 Likes on 37 Posts
Well I had this issue as well the last few weeks, so I thought I would revive this thread, it might be able to help some people that are running into the same problems. For me it was that the steering column wouldn't fully go into position while starting the car. If I would turn the ignition and not start the engine right away, then it would fully extend and go into its saved position. If I would start the engine while it was still moving, then it would just stop, turns out it was a bad battery. I got my car into the shop a few days before my four year warranty expired and it was fully covered, so it is covered.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:38 AM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
Originally Posted by plastikman
Well I had this issue as well the last few weeks, so I thought I would revive this thread, it might be able to help some people that are running into the same problems. For me it was that the steering column wouldn't fully go into position while starting the car. If I would turn the ignition and not start the engine right away, then it would fully extend and go into its saved position. If I would start the engine while it was still moving, then it would just stop, turns out it was a bad battery. I got my car into the shop a few days before my four year warranty expired and it was fully covered, so it is covered.
Exactly - the non telescoping wheel is the best advanced Battery Test there is!
Old 12-07-2010, 03:41 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by plastikman
(...)I got my car into the shop a few days before my four year warranty expired and it was fully covered, so it is covered.
Yes, same here, about a month prior to warranty expiry.