Spare tires, jacks and manuals on my!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 02:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Spare tires, jacks and manuals on my!!!

This is way OT, but I have wondered for years what happens to the spare tires and jacks, etc. when a car goes to its final resting place? It seems to be a waste of money to simply trash all of this hardly, or not even used, equipment. I imagine the manuals could be recycled, but are they? Anyone know?
Old 12-10-2007, 02:45 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Well, most cars go to a wrecking yard or scrap yard when they are totalled or just wear out. Those people scrounge everything they can off the cars and sell them as parts.

There's an active trade in used parts at wrecking yards. When I was young, I bought parts from wrecking yards a number of times ... radiators, starters, etc., and friends of mine bought stuff like fenders, doors, and so on, as well.

Last but not least, before cars are recycled as scrap metal for steel mills, they are stripped of copper, lead and other desirable metals, and the glass, rubber, upholstery and other non-ferrous parts are removed so they don't have to be dealt with as slag in the melt process.

Old 12-10-2007, 07:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
A good friend of mine run$ a $crap yard. Mo$tly heavy truck$. Every u$able piece is pulled off and $old. He doe$ very, very well.

LL
Old 12-10-2007, 09:28 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
So where can we get these pieces, for those of us that might be thinking of getting rid of PAX when the tires go EOL
Old 12-11-2007, 05:25 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Chas2
So where can we get these pieces, for those of us that might be thinking of getting rid of PAX when the tires go EOL
You don't need the jack as you should have one in your tunk. You do need the actual spare, trunk spacer (the foam thing that everything fits into), and assorted adapters, labels, and wheel nuts...all at a price of about $500 (at a dealer who discounts). Considering the small number of RLs on the road, you'd probably be hard pressed to find what you need at a junk yard.

Of course, after you buy the spare and supplies, you still need "regular" wheels and tires. It may actually be cheaper to just replace the PAX tires which, IMO, are not all that bad.

LL
Old 12-11-2007, 01:08 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you check the RL listings on Ebay Motors frequently you should be able to find an RL mini spare and matching tool insert.

I have an RL with the PAX systerm and bought the complete spare and tool setup for exactly what you're thinking. Got them from a huge salvage operator called LKQ Online off of Ebay Motors -- paid only $65. (plus shipping of about $50.) for the spare and tool insert. Both items were absoutely like new and would have cost over $500 from Acura parts.

Funny, the tie down and standard lug nuts, which I had to get from Acura, cost just as much as the spare and tools -- so go figure.

Anyway, you can also find complete take-off sets of standard wheels and tires for your car on Ebay Motors for a fraction of buying new. Complete sets, wheels, tires and TPMS capsules go for aroud $850 -- $1000, ready to go on the car. Shipping can be a killer though. So it's best to see if you can find a dealer close enough so you can pick them up. But even with shipping, it's far less expensive than buying new rims, tire, TPMS and paying for mounting and balancing.

You need to think about it seriously while the current RL is still in production -- when a new model comes out there'll be no more take-offs for the current model -- just mosltly used rims.
Old 12-11-2007, 02:18 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jackzilla
Anyway, you can also find complete take-off sets of standard wheels and tires for your car on Ebay Motors for a fraction of buying new. Complete sets, wheels, tires and TPMS capsules go for aroud $850 -- $1000, ready to go on the car. Shipping can be a killer though. So it's best to see if you can find a dealer close enough so you can pick them up. But even with shipping, it's far less expensive than buying new rims, tire, TPMS and paying for mounting and balancing.

You need to think about it seriously while the current RL is still in production -- when a new model comes out there'll be no more take-offs for the current model -- just mosltly used rims.

So - what would be the implications of putting standard rims and tires on a car that currently has PAX?
Old 12-11-2007, 03:30 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Don Melcher
So - what would be the implications of putting standard rims and tires on a car that currently has PAX?
My understanding of what you would actually need (besides a complete set of take-off wheels) is a complete new set of lug nuts to match the standard wheel set and a new pair of rear shock absorbers to match the the weight of the standard wheel set. The front shocks are apparently the same (matching part nos.) for both PAX and standard wheels. As far as I'm aware, that's all that would have to be changed.

The PAX programed computer would, of course, give a false indication of miles remaining on "run flat" if the TMPS indicated a low pressure condition on one of the standard tires, but this could just be ignored and reset after the low-pressure condition was corrected -- and of course handled with the mini-spare purchased as discussed above. That's my understanding of the PAX coumputer system difference, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

Using salvaged take-off wheels, changing over to standard wheels would not be a huge expense --BUT- keep in mind that there is supposed to be a PAX replacement wheel deal with Acura (??) for about $1200 to $1400 for a complete New PAX changeover set, which is just about what it would cost to change over with a standard take-off set of wheels. Can't believe that Michelin's price is pure coincidence.

Anyway, with such closely comparable costs, it really comes down to whether you really prefer standard tires (and the more choices available) to the PAX run-flats and their potential problems IF they have to be repaired.

Personally, other than the potential for problems with repairing punctures, I can't say the PAX tires have been any different than any other Michelin tire I've ever owned. They're quiet, they seem to be wearing very well, they seem the maintain their pressure better than standard tires and they have maintained thier balance perfectly, at 10K miles. Probably my only REAL problem with them is they are extremely heavy when it comes to tire rotation -- which is probably more my own age than anything else. However, a handy tool called a "Tire Caddy" has nicely solved that difficulty.

So, when it comes time for replacement it really just comes down to choice. There really isn't any with the PAX system, so if you want something different (better, higher performance, etc. ??) then go with take-offs. As far as cost is concerned it's pretty much a wash, at this point.
Old 12-11-2007, 04:18 PM
Instructor

My understanding of what you would actually need (besides a complete set of take-off wheels) is a complete new set of lug nuts to match the standard wheel set and a new pair of rear shock absorbers to match the the weight of the standard wheel set. The front shocks are apparently the same (matching part nos.) for both PAX and standard wheels. As far as I'm aware, that's all that would have to be changed.

The PAX programed computer would, of course, give a false indication of miles remaining on "run flat" if the TMPS indicated a low pressure condition on one of the standard tires, but this could just be ignored and reset after the low-pressure condition was corrected -- and of course handled with the mini-spare purchased as discussed above. That's my understanding of the PAX coumputer system difference, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

Using salvaged take-off wheels, changing over to standard wheels would not be a huge expense --BUT- keep in mind that there is supposed to be a PAX replacement wheel deal with Acura (??) for about $1200 to $1400 for a complete New PAX changeover set, which is just about what it would cost to change over with a standard take-off set of wheels. Can't believe that Michelin's price is pure coincidence.

Anyway, with such closely comparable costs, it really comes down to whether you really prefer standard tires (and the more choices available) to the PAX run-flats and their potential problems IF they have to be repaired.

Personally, other than the potential for problems with repairing punctures, I can't say the PAX tires have been any different than any other Michelin tire I've ever owned. They're quiet, they seem to be wearing very well, they seem the maintain their pressure better than standard tires and they have maintained thier balance perfectly, at 10K miles. Probably my only REAL problem with them is they are extremely heavy when it comes to tire rotation -- which is probably more my own age than anything else. However, a handy tool called a "Tire Caddy" has nicely solved that difficulty.

So, when it comes time for replacement it really just comes down to choice. There really isn't any with the PAX system, so if you want something different (better, higher performance, etc. ??) then go with take-offs. As far as cost is concerned it's pretty much a wash, at this point.
Considering the cost of new rear shocks, spare, nuts, etc - it isn't worth it if in fact the 1200 - 1400 deal is real.

I am happy with the tires and like the comfort of knowing that if there is a flat my wife doesn't have to stop and get it fixed somewhere between work and home or wherever... it is her car anyway. As far as rotation - I'll probably let my local Big-O do it or do it when I am up at my second home where I have a garage with a 2-post lift.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:59 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

You said this better than I could. Great summary. I am not sure what the implications of not changing the rear shocks would be. The rear would certainly be stiffer because the PAX weigh a lot with that insert. That added stiffness might change the handling and certainly the ride.

The only reason I would change the PAX out is because of higher performance potential you could get out more aggressive tires, and changing out the semi ugly wheels, maybe 19's certainly 18s. I would not want to go to the stock 17's. I felt the PAX drove and rode a lot better than the stock tires. Maybe because they are 18's and have a lower profile. More likely the stiffer sidewalls are what did it, stiff, but not too stiff, like the zero pressure tires.

I know that higher performance rubber needs to be changed 2 to 2.5 times more often than stock so it probably all works out that the PAX is cheaper. But nice wheels would be a great thing.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:29 PM
Instructor

You said this better than I could. Great summary. I am not sure what the implications of not changing the rear shocks would be. The rear would certainly be stiffer because the PAX weigh a lot with that insert. That added stiffness might change the handling and certainly the ride.

The only reason I would change the PAX out is because of higher performance potential you could get out more aggressive tires, and changing out the semi ugly wheels, maybe 19's certainly 18s. I would not want to go to the stock 17's. I felt the PAX drove and rode a lot better than the stock tires. Maybe because they are 18's and have a lower profile. More likely the stiffer sidewalls are what did it, stiff, but not too stiff, like the zero pressure tires.

I know that higher performance rubber needs to be changed 2 to 2.5 times more often than stock so it probably all works out that the PAX is cheaper. But nice wheels would be a great thing.

I am satisfied with the performance and the wheels. I am only into wheels on my 69 Porsche, where I have a couple of different sets of wheels (one for the street and another for the track) that were unusual "in the day" and even more so today. The track wheels are (factory) magnesium (around 2000 made) and only weigh 9.5# each.