Solution to Keep Defective Hands Free Link Module HFM Installed

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2022 | 03:46 PM
Instructor

Talking Solution to Keep Defective Hands Free Link Module HFM Installed

Hi guys!

My new battery drained twice last week.

Charged the battery and measured drawing current at park position. Yesss! 210 miliamps

Removed HFM and dropped to almost zero.

So, what I did:
Removed the white cable pin from the connector (constant 12V) and soldered a a wire from purple pin's connector to white pin.
The purple cable is only energized when the ignition is ON and HFM is fed only while engine is running.

Tested whole day and no issues so far. The only disadvantage is your should hang up your call while engine is running.
On a proper working system, HFM is still active during your call even engine is turned off. I believe this is the root cause of the failure. After 10 years, some relays keeps stuck and since the HFM is energized, draws current at pakring position.

With this solution, you can keep your HFM installed without any scary battery drain issue.

If I'm the first guy finding this solution and you need more detail, please LMK and I may add some detailed pics of steps.

Bye,
Türk

Last edited by Türk; 02-21-2022 at 03:55 PM.
Old 02-25-2022 | 08:49 AM
Advanced

I might try this.
Old 02-25-2022 | 11:34 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Türk
Hi guys!

Charged the battery and measured drawing current at park position. Yesss! 210 miliamps

So, what I did:
Removed the white cable pin from the connector (constant 12V) and soldered a a wire from purple pin's connector to white pin.
The purple cable is only energized when the ignition is ON and HFM is fed only while engine is running.

Tested whole day and no issues so far. The only disadvantage is your should hang up your call while engine is running.
On a proper working system, HFM is still active during your call even engine is turned off. I believe this is the root cause of the failure. After 10 years, some relays keeps stuck and since the HFM is energized, draws current at pakring position.

With this solution, you can keep your HFM installed without any scary battery drain issue.

If I'm the first guy finding this solution and you need more detail, please LMK and I may add some detailed pics of steps.

Bye,
Türk
God job !
Old 03-10-2022 | 02:41 PM
Cruisin'

i unhooked mine this week. dont really use it and was worried the situation may happen again.
The following users liked this post:
Mike734 (03-15-2022)
Old 05-16-2022 | 07:06 PM
Cruisin'

Great work, I’m saving this in case my new (old!) RL starts eating batteries.
Old 05-24-2022 | 08:03 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Türk
Hi guys!

So, what I did:

Bye,
Türk
good info. Can you post the detailed pics because after i disconnected it im getting the stuck HFL screen on the audio. What relay powers this function and can i pull it to cut it off? 🤔