So a new car for the family

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 10:55 PM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So a new car for the family

Alright let me jump right into this. My granddad currently has a 1999 Audi A6. He said its been a great car but the cost to keep it up has been insane. He said spending $2000 is not hard to do at all on the car. This is just regular mantiance since he has an extended warranty. So he said he loved the car but was done with expensive german cars for the now. Hes been looking to buy a new car and since he was in town with his grandson who is into cars well you guys can put two and two together. We went car shopping.

Since german cars were not on the list and he didnt really want american that left japan. So we went and test drove the M35, GS 350, and of course the RL in that order. That has no order of favorites just the ones that made most since with where the dealerships were.

First of all the cars all had a lot in common. All the dealerships had great sales people and they all knew a lot about the cars. With the options we look at they all had about the same price. They all had stuff you would expect in a luxury car like Navi, HIDs, Smart key, Leather.

First off my granddad said he did not like the lexus at all. He said the interior was not nice at all for that high of a price tag and it handled very poorly. On top of it all he thought the trunk was small. So that was the first one off the list.

He said the infinit was a great looking car that handled well and drove great. He thought it looked nice and had a great interior. He also thought it had a great size trunk for his golf clubs.

The first thing he said when he was one with the RL was "Is there any gadget that car doesnt have?" He thought the RL was a great handling car and really loved the way it drove. He also said it was a very nice looking car. He liked the little thing it did as well. Like the button that makes all the rear head rests go down. He thought the paddle shifters were also very nice. So he did like the RL the best but with infiniti in a very close second.

Now as far as how soon he wants to buy a new car depends on the warranty on his A6. Time wise it ends March of 08 no matter what. Now mileage apparently it is debateable. At 38K he bought a contract saying 100k warranty extention. Now as everyone knows it means its up at 100k. But he says that it doesnt say that clearly and it says extention that says 100k not up at 100k. He said he knows hes going to have to fight hard for them to give into that but hes going to try hard. Hes at 98k right now so we will see.

Now he lives in Phoenix AZ. Now we all know the RL has not so great sales but im thinking they have to be even worse in AZ. I mean a place thats 110 in the summer cant see much snow so a standard AWD cant sell great would be my guess. My granddad wants AWD and understands that it does help in snow but also increases handling. My question is has anyone in AZ got deals better then the 44k like maybe even as low as 42K? Depending on the warranty he might wait a bit but I doubt dealer discounts are going to change. If he does wait till the 08 models im hoping they finnally add vented seats since it is an AZ car. Any thoughts comments would be greatly appericated and oh yeah sorry my granddad backs up the RL is an older person car.

P.S. Before I had always wondered if the RL was really worth it over the TL. Everyone always said its one of those things you have to experience to understand. Well after riding in one I can diffenently see the difference and I understand what people ment by that. So congrats everyone on buying a penomenal car.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:37 AM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
For a RL with technology package $42k can be had in many parts of the country. SoCal is certainly a place though I don't know about AZ. $44K is too high for this car with the $3500 marketing incentive in place.
Old 05-29-2007, 04:47 PM
Race Director

Thats what im thinking that it has to be cheap out in that general area. Like I said its not set in stone that he even wants the RL yet he still really likes the M35 so I think it might come down to the deal he can get.

Also I forgot to ask this orginally but is the real traffic thing on the Navi good and they keep it updated or is one of those things it has its days?
Old 05-29-2007, 09:54 PM
Race Director

Is there really nobody who has bought an RL in AZ or has any comments at all?
Old 05-29-2007, 10:05 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Did you search the registered section, 10 pages of owners....
Old 05-29-2007, 10:17 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by Chas2
Did you search the registered section, 10 pages of owners....

oh i know i know I was just hoping I could get specifics like how the dealership was and details like that. I admit I didnt read the whole page but I was just wondering if anyone had an personal input.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:53 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
As far as I can tell, there are two dealers in Kansas, but I know you could also go elsewhere to MO, IA or NE, etc. depending on where you are.