sh*t, curbed my front wheel today in snow

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 10:50 PM
The Doctor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
sh*t, curbed my front wheel today in snow

We had some 2-4 inches of snow today but still decided to go out and buy some food. In my neighborhood although I felt the car was slipping, I was able to correct it with no problems. Then, I was going down from a steep hill and the next thig I knew was that I was not able to slow down. ABS was kicking in and the car was just sliding down until the car hit the curb, which put a huge scratch on my wheel and pushed the wheel to the rear of the car for about 1/3 of an inch. I turned around and was still able to climb back up the steep hill. The car now drifts to the left.

Sh*tty tires.

Hopefully I didn't destroy some suspension components. There is no visible negative or positive camber. The wheel is just slightly pushed to the rear. My appointment to the dealer is still next Monday as I was no able to get in anytime sooner because "they were all booked up." I guess I might have them concentrate on the alignment issue and suspension issue, instead of doing the originally planned recall for my steering wheel and the burning smell I had a few days ago.

Sh*tty tires.
Old 01-29-2008, 04:35 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
This happened to my wife a while back. I was able to get it checked out, a new wheel and an alignment covered by my insurance (less deductible). Hopefully you have no more damage but I'd give my insurance agent a call.

LL
Old 01-29-2008, 04:51 AM
07 RL (non-tech)w/06 Nav

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ive got new (take off) unused rims if you need one
Old 01-29-2008, 02:49 PM
The Doctor

Did your premium increase after that incident?

Originally Posted by lland
This happened to my wife a while back. I was able to get it checked out, a new wheel and an alignment covered by my insurance (less deductible). Hopefully you have no more damage but I'd give my insurance agent a call.

LL
Old 01-29-2008, 02:50 PM
The Doctor

pm sent

Originally Posted by larrynimmo
ive got new (take off) unused rims if you need one
Old 01-29-2008, 04:15 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by UW RL
We had some 2-4 inches of snow today but still decided to go out and buy some food. In my neighborhood although I felt the car was slipping, I was able to correct it with no problems. Then, I was going down from a steep hill and the next thig I knew was that I was not able to slow down. ABS was kicking in and the car was just sliding down until the car hit the curb, which put a huge scratch on my wheel and pushed the wheel to the rear of the car for about 1/3 of an inch. I turned around and was still able to climb back up the steep hill. The car now drifts to the left.

Sh*tty tires.

Hopefully I didn't destroy some suspension components. There is no visible negative or positive camber. The wheel is just slightly pushed to the rear. My appointment to the dealer is still next Monday as I was no able to get in anytime sooner because "they were all booked up." I guess I might have them concentrate on the alignment issue and suspension issue, instead of doing the originally planned recall for my steering wheel and the burning smell I had a few days ago.

Sh*tty tires.
Hopefully not too much damage was done. Unfortunately this brings to mind my totally naive ways many years ago, moving to the east coast from Southern California. Acura Legend with Yokohama UHP summer tires, and it snowed. And taking a turn at what I thought was very slowly the car went slid into a curb, ABS was working like crazy, but with no grip, what else should I have expected? Anyway, did $1300 or 1800 (dyslexic, can't remember) damage to the front right corner. Took the dealer three days to air ship the parts in and get it fixed. I then got some Yokohama S4 all seasons, and did not have a problem in the snow again. And ever since, I have been buying UHP all seasons so I have some grip in the bad weather. At the time, I did not know what happens to summer tire compounds below freezing.

Live and learn.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:45 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
Originally Posted by lland

LL
That's pretty generous of you! Can I too call your agent when I need to file a claim?