Service A124

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 08:39 PM
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
Service A124

So the time has come. I don't need them to change the oil or various air filters so I'm taking my local dealer up on their sale on timing belt service. Acura Lynnwood wants $999 for the job but that doesn't include a new tensioner. He said only 10% of hem need a tensioner so we'll wait and see when they get in there if it needs it. He is also going to adjust the valves and replace the plugs for an additional $170. It also included a loaner for the night so I'm pretty happy. But here's the thing. The other Acura dealer (Bellevue) told me that A124 really means the 105k service and that they charge $1500 for that job! I asked if that included the ticking belt and water pump and he said no. They wanted another $1200 for that job.

$2700 from Acura Bellevue.
$1170 from Acura Lynnwood.

That's pretty outrageous if you ask me.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:04 PM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 427 Posts
I would make sure you are comparing apples to apples. Pricing will likely vary from dealer to dealer but there should not be that much of a difference. Honestly, the pricing from Lynwood sounds almost too good to be true, from a dealership anyway.
Old 06-17-2014, 10:01 PM
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts
Just pay for the 4 which is spark plugs, the timing belt, TENSIONER (always recommended, they usually leak around 100k) also would do the water pump and drive belt...I would recommend the valve adjustment as well. At over 100k, most likely your valves will be out of spec and worth checking/adjusting. The A12 is just an oil change, tire rotation and cabin/engine air filter replacement which you can do yourself or have done cheap. $170 sounds very cheap to replace the plugs and adjust the valves.
The following users liked this post:
oo7spy (06-18-2014)
Old 06-17-2014, 10:23 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by sOLLEx
Just pay for the 4 which is spark plugs, the timing belt, TENSIONER (always recommended, they usually leak around 100k) also would do the water pump and drive belt...I would recommend the valve adjustment as well. At over 100k, most likely your valves will be out of spec and worth checking/adjusting. The A12 is just an oil change, tire rotation and cabin/engine air filter replacement which you can do yourself or have done cheap. $170 sounds very cheap to replace the plugs and adjust the valves.
I agree about the valve adjustment but he says while they are all opened up it is a 15 minute matter to adjust the valves. That sounds about right to me. I'm more concerned with the cost of the spark plugs. Anyway I will probably opt for a tensioner even if they don't find it leaking but they want $200 for the part so I'm not too enthusiastic about that.
Old 06-18-2014, 06:11 AM
Instructor

Sounds a little fishy...They have to remove the intake manifold and both valve covers in order to adjust the valves, none of which has to be removed to replace the timing belt. Just make sure you ask if that price includes valve cover gaskets which they should also replace if they are in there. Also, they are many places online where you can buy a timing belt kit which includes the tensioner if you want to save even more money.
The following users liked this post:
oo7spy (06-18-2014)
Old 06-18-2014, 03:34 PM
Racer

Sounds a little fishy...They have to remove the intake manifold and both valve covers in order to adjust the valves, none of which has to be removed to replace the timing belt. Just make sure you ask if that price includes valve cover gaskets which they should also replace if they are in there. Also, they are many places online where you can buy a timing belt kit which includes the tensioner if you want to save even more money.
Yes it does sound fishy. I asked for the old parts so I'll be interested in seeing the old gaskets. The 999.99 price on the timing belt/water pump is a monthly special. I don't know the regular price. It wouldn't surprise me if they never actually do a valve adjustment. They probably just listen to the valves and make a judgement as to if they need replacement.

I'm hopping they are just being generous in their bid for the spark plugs and valve adjustment in that the marginal cost of that work is not that much higher once you have the car up on the jacks and opened up. I feel like a fool trusting them but at some point you have to trust.

Is there any way it can tell they did the actual work other than seeing the old parts?
Old 06-18-2014, 05:00 PM
Instructor

You won't know unless they show evidence of removing the intake and valve covers. It may run better if they actually adjusted them properly if they were out of spec.
Old 06-18-2014, 05:53 PM
Racer

You won't know unless they show evidence of removing the intake and valve covers. It may run better if they actually adjusted them properly if they were out of spec.
I didn't get the valve cover gaskets in the box of parts but I did get the plugs. They looked great considering 105k miles. Anyway, I have noticed a great improvement in the smoothness of acceleration.

Before service I was not happy with the aggressive increase in torque that happened at 3000 rpm and again at 5000 rpm. This sometimes happened right at a shift point and made the car feel a bit more jerky than I like. Now the torque is much more smoothly applied throughout the entire rpm range. At least it seems so. I will report back in a month or two about gas mileage. I consistently get 19-20 mpg combined city/highway.
Old 06-27-2014, 06:35 PM
Racer

Follow up. I was so pleased with the price I got on my RL that I called and asked for the same price for the same job on my 2000 Odyssey. When the quote came back $500 higher I acted surprised. Upon further investigation the service writer said that I wasn't charged for the valve adjustment! I told him they probably didn't do it. But he insisted that the work order said to adjust the valves and the mechanic indicated he did so.

So now I'm either happy that I got a great deal or disappointed that they didn't do the job. I suppose I will have to take a peak and see if I can see evidence that the valve cover gaskets are new. BTW the box they gave me with the old parts had two belts, a water pump and twelve spark plugs! Very interesting.
Old 06-27-2014, 07:14 PM
Pro

Received 114 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike734
Follow up. I was so pleased with the price I got on my RL that I called and asked for the same price for the same job on my 2000 Odyssey. When the quote came back $500 higher I acted surprised. Upon further investigation the service writer said that I wasn't charged for the valve adjustment! I told him they probably didn't do it. But he insisted that the work order said to adjust the valves and the mechanic indicated he did so.

So now I'm either happy that I got a great deal or disappointed that they didn't do the job. I suppose I will have to take a peak and see if I can see evidence that the valve cover gaskets are new. BTW the box they gave me with the old parts had two belts, a water pump and twelve spark plugs! Very interesting.
12 spark plugs??? Do you have some secret new Honda motor we don't know about?

As for adjusting the valves, it would have been easy to just put a piece of scotch tape in a back unseen corner of a valve cover before handing the keys over. Then just look for the tape after. I always try to do that when I suspect something might not get done because they know it'd be hard for me to tell.

Last edited by Megatron; 06-27-2014 at 07:17 PM.
Old 06-27-2014, 08:17 PM
Racer

Yes. 12 plugs. This leads me to believe I just received a box with some random parts in it. I'm sure the belts are the correct ones but they could have been from anybody's car. It's disappointing. I like to work on most things but I am willing to pay for expertise in bigger jobs. I guess I'll try another shop next time.
Old 06-27-2014, 08:22 PM
Pro

Received 114 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike734
Yes. 12 plugs. This leads me to believe I just received a box with some random parts in it. I'm sure the belts are the correct ones but they could have been from anybody's car. It's disappointing. I like to work on most things but I am willing to pay for expertise in bigger jobs. I guess I'll try another shop next time.
Glad to get your input though. Acura of Lynnwood is my usual shop when I need "big" items done as well. I try to do most of everything myself, but things like timing belts, and engine mounts, and suspension stuff I tend to take to them. My 2006 RL is due for timing belt soon as well, but I'm gonna chance it for another year.
Old 06-29-2014, 02:24 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Megatron
Glad to get your input though. Acura of Lynnwood is my usual shop when I need "big" items done as well. I try to do most of everything myself, but things like timing belts, and engine mounts, and suspension stuff I tend to take to them. My 2006 RL is due for timing belt soon as well, but I'm gonna chance it for another year.
When you do, check out offers from the Acura owners site. Lynnwood Acura is offering a $899 timing belt special through 7/14/14