Saw a rare bird yesterday ...

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006 | 02:55 PM
AcurAdmirer

Smile Saw a rare bird yesterday ...

A red '05 or '06 RL with gold badging.

Dunno why, but I somehow felt it didn't belong to one of the membership here.
Old 10-25-2006 | 03:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Sounds a bit gaudy. I've sure seen plenty of Legends and 3.5 RLs with gold badging, but those were entirely different animals.

Sometimes the dealer dresses and options up a car in the showroom, which somceone buys. I guess if you're going to do it, red would be the color to do it on.

I think a deep, pearl green RL would be an interesting look. As would an even deeper red pearl.

Rob
Old 10-25-2006 | 04:57 PM
'06 RL

I really wish they'd put the car out in the TSX red. I really love that "lipstick red" color -- Honda puts it on its racing bikes, why not on its cars?

While I'm quite fond of my Lakeshore Silver, I find the RL's color palate to be rather bland.
Old 10-25-2006 | 08:00 PM
06 RL - 04 TL

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
A red '05 or '06 RL with gold badging.

Dunno why, but I somehow felt it didn't belong to one of the membership here.

You weren't in Kansas City MO were you? <wide grin>

If you see a gold pin stripe, then it probably IS me...not sure that I've seen another like this.

As for gaudy, maybe to some, but *I* sure like it. <wider grin>

Tom
Old 10-25-2006 | 08:09 PM
Senior Moderator

OK....someone has to say this....

Then we can all judge. I think red and gold emblems might go together. Silver and gold emblems, I'm not so sure.
Old 10-25-2006 | 08:46 PM
'02 NBP TL-S

hey ive got gold badges on a nbp tl-s.
Old 10-25-2006 | 08:55 PM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by tvande
You weren't in Kansas City MO were you? <wide grin>

If you see a gold pin stripe, then it probably IS me...not sure that I've seen another like this.

As for gaudy, maybe to some, but *I* sure like it. <wider grin>

Tom
No, I was right here in Texas.

You heard what the Moderator said - show us some pictures!
Old 10-28-2006 | 10:52 AM
06 RL - 04 TL

I'm hoping this will work. Not a recommended site, but we'll see.

Tom
Old 10-28-2006 | 11:00 AM
06 RL - 04 TL

[IMG][/IMG]

Not necessarily a GOOD picture, but one I had handy.
Old 10-28-2006 | 12:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Nice pic tvande, I like the location. Are those stock chrome wheels ?
Old 10-28-2006 | 01:24 PM
AcurAdmirer

Hey, that's pretty sharp!

The chrome wheels really set it off.
Old 10-28-2006 | 03:29 PM
'06 RL

I like the chrome with the red... but I think the gold package is kinda blingy for my tastes.

Once again, I reiterate that I wish this car came in the same red they put on the TSX's.... mmm.
Old 10-28-2006 | 04:07 PM
06 RL - 04 TL

Originally Posted by jftjr
I like the chrome with the red... but I think the gold package is kinda blingy for my tastes.

Once again, I reiterate that I wish this car came in the same red they put on the TSX's.... mmm.

Guess that's why they make this stuff optional...*I* think the gold adds just the right touch...don't really care for it on any other color. <wide grin>

As for the wheels, yes, just the stock wheel chromed. I really want to do the same on the TL (it looks like a dead ringer for this one other than that <wink>).

Thanks for all the good words, I know I'm VERY happy with both cars. The receptionist at the dentist's office was trying to get me to tell her which was the "best" car (she had a TL now and is thinking about an RL) and I just couldn't say one above the other. They are DIFFERENT cars, made for different things. Don't think she was really happy with that answer.

Tom
Old 10-28-2006 | 04:35 PM
'06 RL

Guess that's why they make this stuff optional...*I* think the gold adds just the right touch...don't really care for it on any other color. <wide grin>
Oh, it's not horrible or anything -- it's just a little much for me. I agree, though, it wouldn't look great on any other color (maybe the sandstone one, but they discontinued that color, right?) and it goes best with the red.

It's not like you stuck a big park bench wing on your car or something.
Old 10-28-2006 | 05:52 PM
06 RL - 04 TL

It's not like you stuck a big park bench wing on your car or something.

Guess the next picture needs to show the back. <wide grin>

No, no huge wing, but it DOES have the "mini spoiler" or whatever they call it. Guess I was trying to make a race car of a luxurymobile. Actually, I did debate a while on the spoiler and finally decided to go for it. Glad I did now. Certainly wouldn't have gone for anything BIG. Just wouldn't fit (to me).

Don't remember being this happy with any new vehicle, especially after 6 months. Guess it will eventually wear off, but I sure am enjoying it until then.

Tom
Old 10-28-2006 | 07:41 PM
'06 RL

Guess the next picture needs to show the back. <wide grin>
Heh. Go for that "whale tail" look!

The factory lip spoiler's actually kind of nice, and I've considered it -- especially since I picked up a very small dent right on the crease of the trunk (tree branch fell on my car...grr) that would be nicely hidden under the spoiler....

Don't remember being this happy with any new vehicle, especially after 6 months. Guess it will eventually wear off, but I sure am enjoying it until then.
Now that's something I can completely agree with! I've had an RL now for over a year, and the smile hasn't left my face. The dealer gave me an MDX for a loaner yesterday for service, and I hated every second in it. Soonas I got back in my RL, hit the highway, punched the long skinny one on the left, and said "AHHHHHHHHH......" Oh, yeah!
Old 10-29-2006 | 08:04 AM
Instructor

Left?

hit the highway, punched the long skinny one on the left, and said "AHHHHHHHHH......" Oh, yeah!
Long skinny on the left? Very interesting mod you have done to your RL!

But all of us know what you mean. Terrific cars, our RLs.

Bob
Old 10-29-2006 | 08:09 AM
Instructor

tvande..........more photos, please. Never cared much for that color on the RL when I have seen it in pictures, but your photo is making me rethink that opinion.

Tell us more about the chromed wheels. I don't recall that as an option.

Bob
Old 10-29-2006 | 10:35 AM
'06 RL

Originally Posted by Bob In Miami
Long skinny on the left? Very interesting mod you have done to your RL!

But all of us know what you mean. Terrific cars, our RLs.

Bob
Err... the *other* left. Yeah. That's the ticket.

If I ever get a tattoo, it's going to be "L" and "R" on the back of my hands....
Old 10-29-2006 | 04:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Thanks for the pic, tvande.

Looks fine to me!

Hey jft, left-right confusion is a sign of parietal lobe dysfunction. We all have this problem at one time or another....
Old 10-29-2006 | 04:49 PM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by neuronbob
Thanks for the pic, tvande.

Looks fine to me!

Hey jft, left-right confusion is a sign of parietal lobe dysfunction. We all have this problem at one time or another....
It's just important that he not suffer that syndrome when beginning a high-speed pass on a busy two-lane highway with heavy traffic behind him.
Old 10-29-2006 | 06:41 PM
Instructor

Wink How do you get chromed wheels

tvande,
I haven't seen an option for chromed wheels like that either, but I like them. Did you send your wheels out for plating or what?
Old 10-29-2006 | 06:59 PM
Retired and Loving It

Originally Posted by kmcheney
tvande,
I haven't seen an option for chromed wheels like that either, but I like them. Did you send your wheels out for plating or what?
I got mine at the dealership when I bought my 05 RL. I've also seen them on ebay from LA wheel. They sell them on an exchange program, about $400 and your stock wheels exchange.

I also got my 06 TL stock chromes when I bought it in August from the Acura dealer.
Old 10-29-2006 | 07:12 PM
Retired and Loving It

tvande,
Here is the auction from LA Wheel on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/17-Ac...42872283QQrdZ1
Or this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/17-Ac...42866075QQrdZ1
Old 10-29-2006 | 09:32 PM
'06 RL

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
It's just important that he not suffer that syndrome when beginning a high-speed pass on a busy two-lane highway with heavy traffic behind him.
LOL... I know which way I'm going, I just don't know what that way is CALLED.

Although I have been known to have the navi system repeatedly say "Turn right" and I turn left. Then it just bitches at me until I make two more lefts, and all is well.....
Old 10-29-2006 | 10:51 PM
Instructor

Err... the *other* left. Yeah. That's the ticket.

If I ever get a tattoo, it's going to be "L" and "R" on the back of my hands....
Just for you.....

Decades ago when teaching real litle kids to ski we had a great method to teach them left from right

Put your hands out in front of you with the fronts (palms) facing down the hill) - in your case facing the windshield

Point your thumbs at each other

Close your fingers and then point you index fingers straight to the sky

Now which one looks like a capital "L"?

Thats you left.

It worked for little kids on skis so I'm guessing it will work for you while you are driving

Oh, and when the NAVi tells you something you don't agree with, talk back to it. I do that and my GF comes a bit unglued but then I tell her its the only arguments with a woman that I get to win and even then its just once in a blue moon.
Old 10-30-2006 | 06:57 PM
06 RL - 04 TL

tvande,
I did get them from the dealer. Story was THEY sent them out to be plated (stock wheels) and were making them available. Since then, I have seen several wheel vendors listing them exchange, so I wonder if that's what they did actually.

Don't really care, didn't like the looks of the optional wheels for either car (TL or RL) from Acura. Just wish that I had known about the chromed stock wheels in 2004 when I got the TL. I really like the look of those wheels and think that the chrome with the red really does the trick.

Now, as for more pictures, I'm coming up empty for now on them. Will have to get some time and take some (thought I had some around here) but not finding them. I'm *SURE* they're in a very logical and organized spot. <wide grin> Don't give up hope, may be next weekend before I get a chance. Been having some LONG days at work.

Tom
Old 11-01-2006 | 06:16 PM
06 RL - 04 TL

More pics - could be better <g>

[IMG][img=http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/940/img002wa2.th.jpg][/IMG]

[IMG][img=http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/5142/img001ab0.th.jpg][/IMG]

Not the best pictures I've ever taken, but got to the dentist's office (ugh) early so made use of my time. <g>
Old 11-01-2006 | 06:25 PM
06 RL - 04 TL

Old 11-01-2006 | 07:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Looks great! Confirms my suspicion that gold and red go together.
Old 11-01-2006 | 08:08 PM
06 RL - 04 TL

Originally Posted by neuronbob
Looks great! Confirms my suspicion that gold and red go together.
Kind of what *I* thought, but I know some won't find it "their cup of tea". <wide grin>

BTW - thanks for deleting the one "false start" I had. (if you're the culprit guilty of that <wink>)

Guess the question for the rest of the folks is - can you see the wheels well enough? Meant to get a picture of JUST a wheel so I could post it, but forgot all about it until earlier tonight (pictures are from yesterday - road grime and all).

Tom
Old 11-02-2006 | 07:07 AM
Instructor

Chrome plated RL Wheels

Tom,
Those wheels look great on your car. Thanks for the picture! I'm now trying to figure out if they would look as good on Celestial Silver metalic. I've placed a call to LA wheels, where they plate them, to see if they do the PAX wheels. If so I'd then have to find a place to mount them etc. I love the tech package but the PAX wheels and tires add complexity to simple things like this.
Kevin
Old 11-02-2006 | 11:48 AM
06 RL - 04 TL

Tom,
Those wheels look great on your car. Thanks for the picture! I'm now trying to figure out if they would look as good on Celestial Silver metalic. I've placed a call to LA wheels, where they plate them, to see if they do the PAX wheels. If so I'd then have to find a place to mount them etc. I love the tech package but the PAX wheels and tires add complexity to simple things like this.
Kevin
Did you see what you needed? It sounded like it, but I *meant* to do a picture of just the wheels. I can still do that and upload it if you like. (will probably be a crop of the wheel on one of the existing pictures, but at 8 meg for the picture, should still look ok when just using a small bit <g>)

Tom
Old 11-02-2006 | 12:30 PM
Retired and Loving It

Tom,
Kevin
I've seen the chromes on several silver 2nd gen RLs here in California. They look great. I have the factory chromes on my silver 06 TL and they look super. My 05 RL is pearl white and the stock chrome wheels really make a difference from the standard painted wheel.
Old 11-02-2006 | 08:18 PM
'06 RL

Those wheels look so good I'm considering sending mine out to be chromed....
Old 11-05-2006 | 06:13 PM
06 RL - Carbon Gray Pearl

Smile

I guess those gold emblems really go well with the Red RL. I saw another one here in Maryland. I couldn't see who the driver was as the windows were tinted. In any case, the car did NOT look bad at all. Only the second RL I have seen on the road in 3 weeks