Road & Track doesnt care for keyless access

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2005, 10:56 AM
office monkey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Road & Track doesnt care for keyless access

So in the oct issue of R&T they list feaures found in cars and rate them. The keyless access/start was seen as something not that useful by them with one saying he sees no benefit of it.

I love keyless start and never ever want to own another car without it and think it is one of the better added features a car can have.

What are your thoughts? Do you think is it basically useless like R&T editors say or do you love it like I do and think it is a valuable thing to have?
Old 09-28-2005, 10:58 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think it is very valuable. They probably havnt spent a couple months with the car. I had the same type of feature in the FX35 that I had for around 4-5 months. After going from that back to the TL I was really dissapointed not having the keyless go. I don't like to play with the keys, it's so easy just to get in and start the car.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:20 AM
Racer

I agree, I love it. Certainly handy with both hands full; e.g. briefcase, jacket, etc. I would think women especially would see a benefit - not having to expose open purse to get out keys in dark parking lot at night.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:31 AM
Instructor

Second (or third) that.

This just shows the difference between the real world and the world of car magazines.

At best they have a car for a few days and in many cases a few hours. There is almost no way for anyone with this little amount of time to accurately assess the long-term desirability of most features and faults in a car.

I use the keyless entry every time I get in and start the car.

I also find it very useful for the transponder to allow the trunk to be opened by simply pressing the latch built into the trunk. Again, no need for keys or remote controls to be handled.

If Acura would have offered it as a $200 option when I bought my RL, I would have passed. Now that I've used it, I would gladly pay that amount if it were only available as an option.

Dave
Old 09-28-2005, 11:51 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by NorCalRL
If Acura would have offered it as a $200 option when I bought my RL, I would have passed. Now that I've used it, I would gladly pay that amount if it were only available as an option.

Dave
Dave's quote pretty well sums it up for me. I use it all the time and really like it, especially how easy it is to get into the trunk. Now if it were just smart enough to figure out it should use MY settings when I'm on the driver's side and my wife and I both touch the door handles at about the same time.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:59 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by scottj
Dave's quote pretty well sums it up for me. I use it all the time and really like it, especially how easy it is to get into the trunk. Now if it were just smart enough to figure out it should use MY settings when I'm on the driver's side and my wife and I both touch the door handles at about the same time.
I don't have a RL, just a TL but wondered about that. If two remotes are coming to the car at approximatly the same time, is the system smart enough to recognize the "driver's" touch and thus use their settings. Or will it respond to whichever transmitter's owner touches the door first.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:49 PM
Instructor

What's very cool about it is that you cannot lock your keys in the car/trunk.
Old 09-28-2005, 01:51 PM
Intermediate

I concur. I think it is one of the greatest convenience features available. I am very much a fan!
Old 09-28-2005, 02:29 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Precision Crafted
I don't have a RL, just a TL but wondered about that. If two remotes are coming to the car at approximatly the same time, is the system smart enough to recognize the "driver's" touch and thus use their settings. Or will it respond to whichever transmitter's owner touches the door first.
I believe the owner's manual states that it is the latter, although I have been the only one with a fob to date and so have not been able to verify it first hand.
Old 09-28-2005, 03:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 997 Likes on 531 Posts
I believe that if the vehicle senses both key fobs, it will default to the "driver 1" settings.
Old 09-28-2005, 05:14 PM
Moto Enthusiast

Keyless Access is great. It's very convenient and I love the look on peoples faces when I approach the car w/o pulling out any keys from my pocket.
Old 09-28-2005, 05:26 PM
ASP
Earl Shod

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by taitando
Keyless Access is great. It's very convenient and I love the look on peoples faces when I approach the car w/o pulling out any keys from my pocket.
I tell 'em it uses fingerprint recognition.
Old 09-28-2005, 05:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ASP
Old 09-28-2005, 06:30 PM
office monkey

Originally Posted by ASP
hahaha nice.

Good to see others love it like me.

I hate driving cars that dont have it. I always forget to get the keys out of my pocket when i get to those cars. hehe
Old 10-02-2005, 09:06 PM
BARF1

Road and Track?... canceling subscription now...
Old 10-02-2005, 09:53 PM
kgd
Instructor

I may be one of the few that could live without it. The garage I park in everyday has valet parking and it is hard to remember to take the fob out of your pocket. It works fine as long as the engine is running, but once you turn it off, you just need to remember to take it out. I don't drive this car everyday, so it is still hard to remember.

Aside from the valet parking it is great. Love not having to fumble for keys.
Old 10-03-2005, 08:12 AM
Advanced

The RL’s keyless access function is one of many features that make owning an 2005 Acura such a great pleasure. Not having to fiddle with keys to open doors or the trunk when I am carrying things really speed things up for me when I am in a hurry or in the rain.

Regarding the car magazine reviews, I find them a convenient reference source when I want to compare cars or obtain specifications. However, more often then not, the magazine writer speaks from a different perspective then mine.

To illustrate, many writers demean the RL because it does not have an 8 cylinder engine. They say that the RL cannot compare to luxury cars that have larger engines. As if I need a larger engine to produce more power and instantaneous speed then what my RL can produce.

Secondly, some magazine writers find the styling of the RL to be dowdy and not as edgy as say the M45 or GS430. Are they serious? The RL’s style greatly pleases my sense of total form and grace. Now, if they want to compare the RL to an exotic car, I would agree with them. But, I don’t want to own or drive an exotic car.

As has been mentioned in an earlier post, most of the magazine writers do not have more than a cursory experience in the RL. On the other hand, I do and I find some features such as the Navigation system to be superior to any other I have ever used.

There are many more difference in likes and disliked between magazine writers and me. So, I read the reviews and then armed with the specs personally inspect the models I consider before buying. The last time I did this, I found the RL to give so much more then the others such as Audi, BMW, Infiniti and Lexus; and for a much lesser purchasing price.
Old 10-03-2005, 08:25 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I think that the keyless feature is a gimmick, but a cool one that I would rather have than traditional keys.

I have actually like hte keyless feature on the RL more than the M45 when it comes to opening the doors. I guess there's only a dimple on the RL you have to touch, but the M45 actually has a button on the door handle you have to press to open the doors. But once inside, I prefer the push button start in the m45. You step on the brake, push the button, and the car starts. No need to hold the button or brake down after pushing it either so I'm usually already putting on my seatbelt as the car is starting up.

But the systems I would not like are the new 3-series or s2000. I know the s2000 is pretty old technology on a "semi-niche" car, so it can be forgiven, but I don't see the point of having to insert the key THEN push a button to start like in the 3-series. Having to insert the key just defeats the purpose of push button starting and is TRULY a useless gimmick.
Old 10-03-2005, 08:45 AM
Unemployed or retired?

Originally Posted by Precision Crafted

From what I have read the system senses which remote is on the driver's side and which is on the passenger's side. The reciever for the remotes isn't on until somebody touches the car or pushes a button on the remote. I don't believe it senses proximity. Also opening a car door that is unlocked does not tell the car which driver you are even with the remote in you pocket. The car has to go through the unlock cycle or a remote button on the fob has to be pushed.
Old 10-03-2005, 09:41 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Rich in NC
From what I have read the system senses which remote is on the driver's side and which is on the passenger's side. The reciever for the remotes isn't on until somebody touches the car or pushes a button on the remote. I don't believe it senses proximity. Also opening a car door that is unlocked does not tell the car which driver you are even with the remote in you pocket. The car has to go through the unlock cycle or a remote button on the fob has to be pushed.
Thanks