RL vs. 07 MDX

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 10:02 AM
No, you are a dork.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RL vs. 07 MDX

Anyone made any comparisons? I know i posted the other night that i am pleased with my RL....and I am....If you read that post you also learned that i am very fickle with cars...I can walk away from my lease with MAYBE a -$500 ding as I get an awesome deal from the owner. Anyone looked hard at the new MDX?
Old 01-21-2007, 10:45 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I currently have a MDX not a 2007, but just bought a 2006RL. I kept the MDX too. I would definitly buy one again, if I wanted a SUV type. It has advantages compared to RL. Like when I need more room to carry items and take the dogs. They both are nice. Of course I am sold on Acura have bought 4 acuras. I am bias.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:14 AM
No, you are a dork.

Originally Posted by backfire
I currently have a MDX not a 2007, but just bought a 2006RL. I kept the MDX too. I would definitly buy one again, if I wanted a SUV type. It has advantages compared to RL. Like when I need more room to carry items and take the dogs. They both are nice. Of course I am sold on Acura have bought 4 acuras. I am bias.
I def don't dislike my RL. Just want something new and since I have had the RL, I don't want to take a step backwards.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:19 AM
5th Gear

My folks just purchased the Tech Package 07 MDX Black on Parchment, and they love it. It is still a bit rough on the suspension cause its stiff and has like 170 miles on but hopefully it goes away. Other than that the car reminds me of the RL because its built on the RL platform.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:53 AM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by S7evin Kelevra
My folks just purchased the Tech Package 07 MDX Black on Parchment, and they love it. It is still a bit rough on the suspension cause its stiff and has like 170 miles on but hopefully it goes away. Other than that the car reminds me of the RL because its built on the RL platform.

I just had the opportunity to drive a tech package MDX with 460 miles on her while they were replacing the door handle on my RL.

The MDX has a much firmer ride and requires much more steering effort as the assist is dialed down quite a bit. My wife made a definite comment about it. The interior borrows similar styling cues from the RL. Nav screen seems more washed out compared to the RL. My guess is that the RL has a higher resolution screen. Other than that it has most of the toys that the RL has. The biggest glaring omission is the lack of an auto dimming mirror. I gues sit's an option, but with all the toys in that car, I can't believe they decided to skimp on that.

Other missing compared to the RL is keyless go and adaptive headlights. No real biggies IMHO.

All in all, it's a very sporty SUV and if I was going to get out of my Land Cruiser, I would seriously look at the MDX. I liked it. I had no desire to trade my RL for it.
Old 01-21-2007, 01:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I wne to buy an RDX (see THIS thread) and after a long test drive, decided it wasn't for me. I then drove an MDX (another long test drive) and loved it. I would have bought one if I didn't already own an '04 MDX. Wanting AWD, this left the RL, and after yet another long test drive (overnight), the rest as they say...is history.

For an MDX specific forum, look HERE.

LL
Old 01-21-2007, 08:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
My wife and I are looking at trading her Accord for a Pilot. The RL's trunk is way too small for the serious traveling we do and we have an 8-month-old, so we really need more room. We looked at the MDX and RDX, but she doesn't like the new MDX looks, and the RDX is too small and sporty for her. Further, the MDX has too much tech for her--she's definitely NOT a geek. The Pilot EX-L navi...she drove for five minutes and fell in love, so that's what we're getting.
Old 01-22-2007, 06:15 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
[QUOTE=neuronbob]My wife and I are looking at trading her Accord for a Pilot...QUOTE]

In addition to the RDX and MDX, I drove a Pilot. I probably would have bought it but I wasn't crazy about the dealer experience and with the '04 MDX already in the garage, It really didn't make sense. I know a number of people who own Pilots and without an exception, they are all very happy. Personally, I think the Pilot is the best automotive bang for the buck out there.

You can't go wrong with one.

LL
Old 01-22-2007, 06:37 PM
No, you are a dork.

Went and took a quick peek at the MDX. The front end would take some getting used to - I wish they took the front end of the RDX and put it on the MDX. I cannot stand the zebra wood grain on the interior. It certainly didnt jump at me like the RL did. I talked to my guy and he was willing to give me the MDX at $500 over invoice. I passed. May revisit in a year but that's only if they have changed the wood grain choices. I really hope I dont get a bug for another SUV before then (I cant imagine that happening but never say never)....should i just stay put and not look at other brands?
Old 01-23-2007, 01:43 PM
Advanced

I 100% agree. Acura needs to put the regular brown wood trim in the MDX, at least as an option. I love the wood in my '05 RL and would most likely go into an 07 MDX if it had it. Now I just wish the MDX had keyless start like the RL.
Old 01-23-2007, 02:28 PM
No, you are a dork.

Originally Posted by bearcat2000
I 100% agree. Acura needs to put the regular brown wood trim in the MDX, at least as an option. I love the wood in my '05 RL and would most likely go into an 07 MDX if it had it. Now I just wish the MDX had keyless start like the RL.

Yep - I just assumed that it had the keyless start until i dug around some more on here. How could someone at R&D think that keyless start wouldnt be a nice touch on the MDX? or the dimming mirror not being standard? wow.
Old 01-23-2007, 03:11 PM
Advanced

are you sure the new MDX do not have the RL style keyless system. Because when I got my RL at the end of Dec. I saw the new MDX and I'm sure that I saw the same setup as the Rl !! But if the MDX does not have that feature that would be a huge mistake from Acura's

But I wouldn't mind my RL to have an extra feature from other acuras.
Old 01-23-2007, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by sab35263
are you sure the new MDX do not have the RL style keyless system. Because when I got my RL at the end of Dec. I saw the new MDX and I'm sure that I saw the same setup as the Rl !! But if the MDX does not have that feature that would be a huge mistake from Acura's

But I wouldn't mind my RL to have an extra feature from other acuras.

I had an '07 MDX loaner for two days. It does not have keyless start.
Old 01-23-2007, 03:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
As far as I can tell, the 2007 MDX doesn't have keyless anything. It's all about keeping the price low. The general public isn't willing to pay but so much for a new Acura, so our pals at Acura corporate in Torrence, CA made some shortcuts to the MDX to keep the base price below a certain point.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:13 PM
Advanced

sad. sad. sad...especially when even the base Altima under $20,000 has keyless ignition. Dang, even the RDX and TL should have it being around 35k, let alone a loaded $48000 MDX.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:28 PM
Racer

My wife traded in her 03 TL-S and got the 07 MDX and a week later I traded in my 04 TL and got the 06 RL. The 07 MDX is the best SUV I have ever driven. My dad had an 01 MDX and it is nothing compared to the 07. I am not a truck person and I hate driving them but I do not mind driving the 07 MDX one bit. The SH-AWD makes a big difference. That being said, I still prefer driving the RL over it. No matter what, the MDX is still an SUV and while it does perform much better than most SUVs, you still feel like you are driving an SUV. It still floats around like an SUV.

Anyway, I would not say the MDX is a step backward. It's just a totally different vehicle. In our situation we needed an SUV. Our TLs just did not have enough cargo area for our son's stuff (strollers, diaper bag, etc.) and we are always cramped up in the car where ever we go. So that is why we got the MDX. But after spending time with the MDX, I just cannot go back driving my TL. I was lusting over the new navi and SH-AWD. I could not use the MDX all the time because it was for driving the baby around, so the obvious choice was to get the RL. The RL is the best car I have ever owned and driven. I would not trade it in for an MDX unless I would have a valid reason. As far as the technology stuff, they are pretty much the same, except for the keyless entry and adaptive headlights. Handling wise there is no comparison. The RL just simply handles much better, afterall it is a car, not an SUV. The MDX has more room and can carry more people. If we could only afford one car, then we would only have an MDX because it is the one we really need.

So if you don't really need an SUV, I would stick with the RL. The keyless entry and adaptive headlights alone are more than enough reason for me to chose the RL over the MDX (I just love watching the headlights move around when I turn on the car and whenever I turn. It never gets old). I also love not having to keep taking my keys in and out of my pocket. But above all, I love driving around corners and going as fast around them. While I can do that with the MDX, I just cannot do it as fast as the RL.

Oh, another thing to consider is that if you want something new, I would probably not want to get an MDX. Unless you want something that drives different or hold more stuff, all the stuff inside the MDX is pretty much in the RL and if you are tired of the RL then you probably will get tired of looking at the same stuff in the MDX. Hopping from one to the other feels pretty much the same...almost. Overall, I like how the RL feels inside (like the materials, steering wheel, etc) more than the MDX. But all the tech stuff are pretty much the same, less a few features like AUX inputs and DVD. So, if you are tired of working with the same radio and navi controls, then you probably need a totally different brand of car. Anyway, just another thing to consider.
Old 01-24-2007, 02:59 PM
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
guia X,
Did you get the Sport package with your MDX? I have heard that improves the handling quite a bit.

If the RL was as big as the Infiniti M, I think I would have bought one.
Old 01-24-2007, 03:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
All this talk about the new MDX is making me pretty curioous. I'll test drive one tomorrow when I bring the RL in for service.
Old 01-24-2007, 03:40 PM
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by synth19
All this talk about the new MDX is making me pretty curioous. I'll test drive one tomorrow when I bring the RL in for service.
I'd be interested in hearing your take on it, synth.
Old 01-24-2007, 04:30 PM
bkw
Death to Dave Marek.

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
If there were no RL, my wife would be driving an MDX today.
Old 01-25-2007, 06:40 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by neuronbob
My wife and I are looking at trading her Accord for a Pilot. The RL's trunk is way too small for the serious traveling we do and we have an 8-month-old, so we really need more room. We looked at the MDX and RDX, but she doesn't like the new MDX looks, and the RDX is too small and sporty for her. Further, the MDX has too much tech for her--she's definitely NOT a geek. The Pilot EX-L navi...she drove for five minutes and fell in love, so that's what we're getting.
I traded an 04 Trailblazer for an 05 Pilot in June of 05 and I love it. I hated about everything about the Trailblazer. I'm sure I'd like the MDX, but for the price difference, it isn't worth it for me. The Pilot also has more interior room than the MDX. Also, I use my Pilot in my work (land surveying) and I would hate to take an MDX to the field. You can check out the Pilot disscussion groups at www.hondapilot.org
Old 01-25-2007, 07:23 AM
Instructor

Trading in my RL on an RDX. Love the usefulness of the cargo space and the smaller size vs the MDX. Drove the MDX and it had the typical "can't get out of it's own way way" of an SUV. The interior does look like it was lifted from the RL (same color scheme and trim pieces) and it does have everything save for the keyless and adaptive lighting. The MDX has quite a bit of room and seating, not to mention you can get a DVD player with LCDs as an option.

The drive of the MDX was nothing remarkable. It neither accelerated nor braked anywhere near as well as the RL. The handling, while not top heavy for an SUV, was typical truck. It's not something you can weave in and out of traffic with. The ride is quiet and has little - no road feel. As expected it absorbs bumps and potholes that would shake your pancreas in the RL.

If you're really looking for an SUV, the MDX is definately a great luxo barge. However, like the RL, it really needs an 8cyl motor to truly compete in the market and be totally useful. I don't believe the MDX can tow anything of significance, meaning that it's real main purpose is that of a mini-van in trucks clothing. In addition while the sh-awd is great on the road, I would not want to venture off-road with this thing.

I guess my personal oppinion is that this whole class of SUVs is really just odd. They offer the poor gas mileage of a truck coupled with it's handling, but none of the tree stump pulling torque or power. I guess that's why the whole CUV option appealed to me.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Nabbs
The drive of the MDX was nothing remarkable. It neither accelerated nor braked anywhere near as well as the RL. The handling, while not top heavy for an SUV, was typical truck. It's not something you can weave in and out of traffic with. The ride is quiet and has little - no road feel. As expected it absorbs bumps and potholes that would shake your pancreas in the RL.

If you're really looking for an SUV, the MDX is definately a great luxo barge. However, like the RL, it really needs an 8cyl motor to truly compete in the market and be totally useful. I don't believe the MDX can tow anything of significance, meaning that it's real main purpose is that of a mini-van in trucks clothing. In addition while the sh-awd is great on the road, I would not want to venture off-road with this thing.

I guess my personal oppinion is that this whole class of SUVs is really just odd. They offer the poor gas mileage of a truck coupled with it's handling, but none of the tree stump pulling torque or power. I guess that's why the whole CUV option appealed to me.

After driving the MDX for a couple days I agree with some points and disagree with others you make. As for acceleration, I agree that it has nothing over the RL, to me it actually felt slower. I will disagree with you about handling. While it may not handle as sharply as an RL (it is an SUV after all) it definitely handles better than my Land Cruiser or most other SUVs out there.

With respect to towing. The MDX is rated to tow 5000lbs (if equipped). I'm not sure I would give up our Land Cruiser which is rated at 6,500lbs to tow our boat. The boat we have (pictured in the "what else do you drive thread"), weighs about 3,500 lbs empty. Add in fuel, equipment and the trailer and you're right at 5,000 lbs. I took out boat on a trip from Chicago to Branson, MO and back, and after doing it in the LC, I'm not sure the MDX could handle it.
Old 01-25-2007, 10:49 AM
5th Gear

To be honest

I think it wouldve been cool if my folks car came with a push start, but at the same time push start does not prevent theft and only increases. as far as people i read here complain about handle, what suv u drive that corners better? none. ur seating x amount of feet lower of course ur car has to corner better, 330xi bmw out corners rl and so does the mitsubishi evolution and the audi and the list goes on. adpative lights, whats the auto leveling lights?im just curious i heard that through out the whole thread so explain what the does?
Old 01-25-2007, 11:01 AM
Advanced

I bought our '06 RL (new) two weeks after getting an '07 MDX because I wanted the SH-AWD and other tech features in both our cars. Traded our '04 MDX and our '04 TL for these two rides and I'm totally happy with both as each one fills a need for our family's transportation needs.
MarkD
Old 01-25-2007, 04:36 PM
No, you are a dork.

Originally Posted by S7evin Kelevra
whats the auto leveling lights?im just curious i heard that through out the whole thread so explain what the does?
They are lights that auto-level.
Old 01-26-2007, 03:08 AM
5th Gear

smartest thing i ever heard from anyone on this entire thread
Old 01-26-2007, 03:10 AM
5th Gear

smartest thing i ever heard through out this whole entire thread
Old 01-26-2007, 03:14 AM
5th Gear

got sand was the only one who said the smartest thing in this entire thread, and the auto lights, why dont you be infront of a car that has auto lights and tell me it doesnt annoy you. becasue last time i checked, to the driver it may feel that low beams will point as low beams no matter what degree the car is facing incline or decline, but when the car starts to go over an uneven road with a lot of bumps then people start to think you are highbeaming them, than your just starting problems.
Old 01-26-2007, 07:35 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by GoHawks
After driving the MDX for a couple days I agree with some points and disagree with others you make. As for acceleration, I agree that it has nothing over the RL, to me it actually felt slower. I will disagree with you about handling. While it may not handle as sharply as an RL (it is an SUV after all) it definitely handles better than my Land Cruiser or most other SUVs out there.

With respect to towing. The MDX is rated to tow 5000lbs (if equipped). I'm not sure I would give up our Land Cruiser which is rated at 6,500lbs to tow our boat. The boat we have (pictured in the "what else do you drive thread"), weighs about 3,500 lbs empty. Add in fuel, equipment and the trailer and you're right at 5,000 lbs. I took out boat on a trip from Chicago to Branson, MO and back, and after doing it in the LC, I'm not sure the MDX could handle it.
Very interesting about the towing - I hadn't realized it could tow quite that much! That's actually reasonably impressive for a V6. However, when I think of towing like you I think in terms of pulling something substantial like a car or a boat. Again 5K lbs is almost there, but I wouldn't want to either be going up or down a hill with a 3K lbs car strapped to trailer and an MDX.

I've only driving the Lexus and my fair share of American land barges so I can't compare to the LC. However, I would agree the MDX with it's sh-awd handles light years ahead of most other trucks.

The only other SUV I enjoyed driving immensely was the TrailBlazer SS -- with a 6.0L LS2 motor and awd. Of course the interior and the towing ability of the SS is crap.

-N
Old 01-26-2007, 08:51 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
Didnt get a chance to test drive the MDX yesterday, but I did take a look at the interior. WOW... what a great upgrade from the previous model. If I was in the market for an SUV, this would be my top choice. Also, I saw an RL "base." The wood grain looks almost exactly like the "real" wood. I didn't even think twice that it looked fake.
Old 01-26-2007, 12:47 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by phins2rt
guia X,
Did you get the Sport package with your MDX? I have heard that improves the handling quite a bit.

If the RL was as big as the Infiniti M, I think I would have bought one.
I got the Sport with Entertainment package. I did not notice much difference with the base and Sport when I test drove as I test drove them on different days. I do notice a difference when I press the Comfort button. When the Comfort button is pressed, the car just gets all out of whack when I take a turn really fast and the road is not completely flat. It just starts bouncing all over the place.

Anyway, I was not complaining about the handling on the 07 MDX. I think it handles great for a SUV. They were just comparing it to the RL which you really cannot compare. Even the RDX handles better but that is because it is a much smaller SUV. Compared to all other SUVs of the same size, though, there is no comparison. That's why we got it becuase I hate SUVs/trucks and if I have to drive it, it better be able to handle pretty well. Eventhough we needed it sooner, I just had to wait for it. If the MDX probably did not come out we would have probably ended up with a Ridgeline or RDX.

Originally Posted by gotsand
I bought our '06 RL (new) two weeks after getting an '07 MDX because I wanted the SH-AWD and other tech features in both our cars. Traded our '04 MDX and our '04 TL for these two rides and I'm totally happy with both as each one fills a need for our family's transportation needs.
MarkD
Sounds like we did the same thing. I just hated going back into my 04 TL after buying the MDX. The navi was just so much better to use. I really couldn't drive the MDX to work because it was needed wherever the baby was. Luckily I was able to get a deal on my TL and the RL. It was excellent timing as they were trying to get rid of the 06s. For however great the TL is, the RL is just a much better vehicle. I just enjoy driving it to this day.
Old 01-26-2007, 08:31 PM
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
I've looked hard at the MDX and I'm sure its a fantastic vehicle well ahead of the pack. Unfortunately, utility is just a byword for an SUV, nothing beats a minivan for people and cargo. On our touring ody you can easily carry seven and cargo. On an MDX you can only carry 4.5 and cargo or 6 and no cargo. That kills it for me as far as utility is concerned. Maybe the Honda gods will realize that there is a market for an SHAWD minivan
Old 01-27-2007, 07:24 PM
No, you are a dork.

Just got a break from the kids and took my RL out to grab some beer.....Had forgotten how nice the doors sound when they shut as well as how easy they are to shut. I did open the MDX doors and shut them and there is no comparison. If the MDX was truly an RL SUV then I may be interested. I'm good for now.
Old 01-28-2007, 01:47 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RL06tech
I've looked hard at the MDX and I'm sure its a fantastic vehicle well ahead of the pack. Unfortunately, utility is just a byword for an SUV, nothing beats a minivan for people and cargo. On our touring ody you can easily carry seven and cargo. On an MDX you can only carry 4.5 and cargo or 6 and no cargo. That kills it for me as far as utility is concerned. Maybe the Honda gods will realize that there is a market for an SHAWD minivan

Did anyone consider the new BMW X5 2007 inplace of the new MDX. I am thinking of selling my 2000 odyssey and getting either a MDX or X5. Any comments?
Old 01-28-2007, 02:14 PM
No, you are a dork.

Originally Posted by kollamala
Did anyone consider the new BMW X5 2007 inplace of the new MDX. I am thinking of selling my 2000 odyssey and getting either a MDX or X5. Any comments?
not a bad idea - just remember, what bmw lacks in technology they probably make up in drivability. I hope their I-drive system is on its way out. I think it is a prettier truck than the mdx but not by much.
Old 01-29-2007, 01:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by RL06tech
Correct-o-mundo! Minivans are the true "utility" vehicle if hauling people and things are what you need to do. The "utility" of an SUV is if you need the utility of off-roading. What is really needed is an SUV with sliding doors.

Besides, coralling kids into and out of a car with swinging doors is a recipe for dings in your garage or the parking lot. Otherwise, you are going around the car and being their personal door valet. With the minivan, they can open and close the doors themselves without damaging other cars.

Rob144
Old 01-29-2007, 02:25 PM

I agree that the minivan is more practical, but I'll go on record as stating that I just can't bring myself to own one. Now with the boat, I need a tow vehicle and most minivans can only perform light duties in that regard, but even if I didn't have the boat, I probably would still own a SUV.

Call me shallow.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:08 AM
Advanced

I truly understand the need for cargo and convenience, therefore along with my '05 RL I purchased an 06 Toyota Sienna Limited AWD and absolutely love it. It has bluetooth, HID, Nav, the works, plus it doesn't look or feel like a minivan inside. As close to a Lexus minivan as you could get. To me it was a no brainer over the less featured Honda. Here are a few photos...

Click here for photos...