Rl Smart Key

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 06:24 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rl Smart Key

Hi everyone,

I just want to say thanks for all the answers to by stupid questions. I have another one.

I just bought a 2005 RL and picked it up today, but when I got the car the dealer just gave me one remote and said they never got a second.
Here in Canada these remotes plus the key sell for $606 + tax (13%) I definately can't afford that.

So I am trying to find one on ebay, but my question is the Remote I have says it's a Driver 2, so I guess the original is what is missing.

If I were to find a Remote, does it need to be a Driver 1 or can I get another Driver 2? The Parts depart at a few Acura delearships here have no clue, honestly they are lost I feel like telling them to join this forum and learn something.
Also do I need to find a Remote from an 05 or can I use one from 05-08?

Any help here is really appreciated, if anyone knows where I can buy a remote please let me know.

Thanks again,
Old 01-18-2008, 07:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by INOPLOVR
Hi everyone,

I just want to say thanks for all the answers to by stupid questions. I have another one.

I just bought a 2005 RL and picked it up today, but when I got the car the dealer just gave me one remote and said they never got a second.
Here in Canada these remotes plus the key sell for $606 + tax (13%) I definately can't afford that.

So I am trying to find one on ebay, but my question is the Remote I have says it's a Driver 2, so I guess the original is what is missing.

If I were to find a Remote, does it need to be a Driver 1 or can I get another Driver 2? The Parts depart at a few Acura delearships here have no clue, honestly they are lost I feel like telling them to join this forum and learn something.

Any help here is really appreciated, if anyone knows where I can buy a remote please let me know.

Thanks again,
Ebay. Then pay your local dealer to program it.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:26 PM
Intermediate

So it doesn't matter if it is a Driver 1 or Driver 2 fob?
Originally Posted by dwboston
Ebay. Then pay your local dealer to program it.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:30 PM
Burning Brakes

So it doesn't matter if it is a Driver 1 or Driver 2 fob?
Here's a Driver 1 Remote from a reputable eBay seller, with programming instructions.

http://item.express.ebay.com/NEW-200...mdZExpressItem
Old 01-19-2008, 12:44 AM
Intermediate

Wow, honestly Thanks buddy.

Here's a Driver 1 Remote from a reputable eBay seller, with programming instructions.

Old 01-19-2008, 05:37 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

THE KEY HAS BEEN CUT AND WILL NEED TO BE REPLACED.

That's a great deal, but with the key being cut I wonder where the remote came from? Could it be the missing Driver 1 from INOPLOVR's car?
Old 01-19-2008, 07:12 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
It would seem "stealerships" have been selling the Driver 1 key fobs on a black market, due to their high price.

I to got a 2005 RL and the Driver1 fob was missing . Stealership said when the car was traded, it never came with it. I don't believe them cause I did get the second matching key...
Old 01-19-2008, 08:56 PM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Hi everyone,

Thanks again,
The car can store two separate personal configurations for drivers. You don't need a Driver 1 fob. You can have 2 (or more) Driver 2 fobs. However, you loose the benefit of being able to have the car recognize two different drivers and set the seat, radio presets, etc. to your preference when you enter.

My suggestion; Get a Driver 1 key not another Driver 2
Old 01-20-2008, 04:31 AM
Intermediate

This is exactly what happened to me too, they said my car never came with a Driver 1 key, I think thats a bunch of BS.

SpicyMikey thanks for the suggestion I think I'll just buy a Driver 1 key.

cheers,
Originally Posted by fafpak
It would seem "stealerships" have been selling the Driver 1 key fobs on a black market, due to their high price.

I to got a 2005 RL and the Driver1 fob was missing . Stealership said when the car was traded, it never came with it. I don't believe them cause I did get the second matching key...
Old 01-20-2008, 07:15 AM
Cruisin'

I bought a used one (with a cut key) on Ebay for $49. It works perfectly.

I did have to program it at the dealer as it apparently does need a special computer to do it. Although, some of the sellers say they include programming instructions, I don't think it can be done without the dealer's computer.

I was able to convince the dealer to waive the $110 programming fee and do it for free with the promise that I would do my service at their dealership assuming they gave me good service.

I think you can buy an uncut key replacement and have the dealer cut it for not too much.

Good luck.
Old 01-20-2008, 08:21 AM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Copper34 is correct. You CANNOT program this yourself like a standard door lock remote. It must be hooked up to equipment at the dealer. I bought a second set on Ebay and paid one of the techs $20 to do it for me "on the side". I watched him do it and it took about 15 minutes.

If I was you INOPLOVR, I'd get the key on EBay (that's probably where your original Driver1 key went anyway) and then argue (even demand) that the dealer program it for no cost since they didn't give you one to begin with.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:11 PM
6th Gear

Who says that's a "reputable eBay seller?"
The programming instructions he sells (at least for the RL) only work to program the remote to open the doors. You can't touch the handle to open the doors with those programming instructions and you can't start the car with them! You still have to take it to the dealer. You may be able to find remotes that don't purport to provide programming instructions for less money on eBay. This guy will have you return the remote for replacement first and won't provide a refund unless you initiate a dispute with Paypal (after absorbing the cost of two insured returns). His 99.7% feedback score is based on retaliation and intimidation.
Google remotesuperstore scam for more info.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by carysr
Who says that's a "reputable eBay seller?"
The programming instructions he sells (at least for the RL) only work to program the remote to open the doors. You can't touch the handle to open the doors with those programming instructions and you can't start the car with them! You still have to take it to the dealer. You may be able to find remotes that don't purport to provide programming instructions for less money on eBay. This guy will have you return the remote for replacement first and won't provide a refund unless you initiate a dispute with Paypal (after absorbing the cost of two insured returns). His 99.7% feedback score is based on retaliation and intimidation.
Google remotesuperstore scam for more info.
Way to revive a dead thread. You obviously missed my first post telling the OP to buy the remote and pay the dealer to program it.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:44 PM
6th Gear

Old threads never die. They live on on Google. I followed your original advice, but believed that the "reputable seller" whose current listing clearly claims to be selling programming instructions, was true to his word. After returning two FOBS (at his insistence) I bought another FOB for $40.00 less fom a reputable seller who didn't claim to include programming instructions.
Meanwhile, Remotesuperstore continues to dupe unsuspecting buyers into paying extra for his FOBS because they think they're getting programming instructions. So that's why I revived the dead thread.