RL purchase question

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 09:28 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RL purchase question

Hi all, new to the forum and currently a Legend owner. While it has been good to me, little things are starting to break on it. I like the RL, particularly the '05-08 style. While I wish the car was a smidge larger and a bit quicker off the line (I feel like my moms '07 accord 4 cyl. is faster off the line) I do like the styling and all the other options that come with the RL. I test drove one and felt like a solid piece of automobile.

Question to those who regularly get it serviced at the dealer. I am currently looking at a carfax report for one car and it shows that along with the regular maintenance it always shows that the "Electrical system checked" every time the car was brought into the dealership. Some of the cars reports I looked at doesn't show it as often or at all.

Was just wondering if checking the electrical system is a normal thing the dealer checks when you bring the car in, or maybe this thing has electrical issues. Thanks in advance all.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:01 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
My dealer does a courtesy battery check every time. Could be the same thing.

LL
Old 12-08-2010, 07:42 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 846 Posts
You think the second gen is like your mom 4cyl off the line? This may be a bad purchase for you.

05-06 will have gremlins, there are plenty of threads on that.

I visit the dealer regularly, and they dont have an electrical check, plus I dont trust car fax anyway.

They are only as good as what was reported, little fender benders and other issues usually dont show up.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:45 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm just looking at the Honda's service chart. 11 services from 9k to 99k miles or 12-132 months, whichever is first, there is no "Electrical system checking" mentioned at all.
It doesn't sound to me as routine procedure. Be vigilant.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:07 PM
Missing my

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by HEAVY_RL
You think the second gen is like your mom 4cyl off the line? This may be a bad purchase for you.
Yep, keep looking man. I like cars that are quick off the line, as well, but the features of this car more than make up for it. If it bothers you now, you will only hate the car in time.

Also, that electrical thing is weird and it's hard to say whether it's the car, CARFAX, or the dealer who reported it that way. I would stay away from it...
Old 12-08-2010, 07:18 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I noticed the same thing with almost every RL I was checking out, carfax/carproof etc all showed "electrical system checked" several times per year. I attributed it to the fact battery issues were apparently common especially from people accidentally leaving the car for long periods with the ignition left in the accessory position.
Old 12-09-2010, 01:09 AM
Cruisin'

Thanks for the input guys.The one im looking at is an '07. I know that a lot of the '05s and '06s had some issues, particularly with stuff like door handles and other minor issues.

Bluenosr2 did the one you finally buy also have the electrical checks on the reports? Just for kicks I also looked at some other acuras like the MDX and TLs and a few also have several electrical system checks listed in the carfax report. I also have a feeling that this has a lot to do with dealership and how much detail they put into the reports. but i will tread carefully on this one.
Old 12-09-2010, 01:10 PM
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
the RL is not slow off the line.. not to me.. but I find that you really have to mash the gas hard to get it to go quickly off the line.. the throttle is not abrupt.. so even if you fully mash the throttle pedal, you won't get your neck snapped.. it just pulls away... it's smooth.. but plenty fast enough for me..

the RL is not what I woudl consider a "fast" car or a sporty driving car... I do find, however, for a luxury car, it is fairly firm and corners excellent... the feel of the car is oriented more toward comfort, but by no means is it a slouch or poor performer. tires make a big difference.. the stock MXMs stink for performance.. switch to Pilot Sport A/S + and you get an even sportier feel/ride but retain 99% of the comfort with GOBS more grip and handling in the turns...

test drive a TL and see how you like that. i've had them as loaners and find they drive a bit more aggresively... they feel sportier... the new 09+ TL is as large or larger than the RL.. and is faster. i've only driven the FWD model, but to me, it is quite a bit fsater than the RL... albeit the handling is inferior b/c it lacks AWD... it might "feel" like it's firmer and corners tighter, but once you push each car, you'll quickly see that the FWD TL may "feel" like it handles better but in a hard turn it will plow... the RL feels softer, but the AWD makes it take the turn much better... so the TL might "feel" like it woudl handle better but it doesn't... if you want AWD and want a sportier Acura, look at the TL SH-AWD.... i haven't driven one, but suspect you'd get the sportier feel of the TL chassis but you'd get the AWD handling... i'm sure it's a nice combo...

you'll probably pay quite a bit more for a newer AWD TL vs an 05-08 RL... luxury wise the RL is probably stilla nicer car..even an older RL vs the new TL... they skimp on sometings on the TL while the RL is fully loaded and everythign is very nice...
Old 12-10-2010, 07:12 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Actually mine showed ZERO service records LOL. In Canada carfax is pretty much useless, while carproof is usually pretty good. All carproof showed were the original purchase and titling events, and Acura showed no records entered in any of the Honda/Acura dealer service databases. It was an estate sale where the owner had passed away some time ago and the car sat more or less unused for the better part of 2 years, however from the condition of the car and a dealer inspection I had done before buying it was evident he had maintained it very well, just "off the grid" as he lived in a very rural part of the country.
Old 12-11-2010, 10:58 AM
rtr
RL owner

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Try your mom's car in the rain and then the RL you will see why we own them! Great car I have 2!
Old 12-20-2010, 02:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just traded my 08 TL-S and got an 08 RL. One of the reasons I chose to upgrade to the RL was not to "get off the line quick" but rather to get of the line slower- and enjoy the luxerious ride quality of the SH-AWD and all the other top notch attributes GL
Old 12-20-2010, 03:13 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
My 05 RL had a ton of electrical glitches. Couldnt go a week or 2 without a check TPMS system light, or AFS system light. Last time I took it in to get these lights cleared I was told a low battery will trip the warning lights in error. In addition to the electrical the gas mileage isnt all that good, the transmission was suspect, and the drive shaft whistles in cold weather, and several people including me had issues with blinking headlights. Of the 25 vehilcle Ive owned this was the most troublesome. Mind you mine was an 05 which was the 1st model year.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:47 AM
Cruisin'

so after much deliberation I have decided to take a look at the RL and maybe go for a test drive. much to my embarrassment, I assumed it came with a Nav system. and thought it strange that it wasn't mentioned in the details. well i was not aware that the Nav system was an option in 07. well, decisions decisions.

so i did a lot of research on this forum (thanks guys) and found that some here have converted their base model 07 into Nav systems. I guess all that needs to be changed out is the nav unit in the trunk. but apparently you lose navtraffic, acuralink, and the backup camera.

it looks like you can install the camera as long as you can buy the nav unit from an 06 or later. but that's okay. i don't need the camera that bad.

But i really would like to have acuralink and traffic. does anyone know if these can also be jury-rigged to work? would i have to swap out the display unit too? thanks in advance.
Old 12-21-2010, 04:03 AM
Instructor

actually if you know how to install navtool (couldnot remember its name) you could use your ipod install backup camera without having to replace the nav unit. My car was 2005 but somehow I got very lucky with it, up until now (140k) the car has very few minor problem. My car handle is still good and the electronic inside the car all work well.