RL Leasing - Achille's Heel

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 09:51 AM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike_TX
But anyway, I think we've beaten this horse pretty much to death for now. I've yet to see a discussion of leasing vs. buying end differently, although hope springs eternal. We're back to the good advice to consider your own financial situation and your needs and make the buying choice that works best for you. Just look at all the options..
I'll second that
Old 07-17-2007, 10:47 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Well, DW, you'll note I watered down the market return to 8% in my example (being conservative, as I noted). But water it down more to 6% and you'll still do double the 3% Mikey mentioned.

You guys might want to check into Ted Aranson's "Lazy Man's Portfolio", which returned 13.7% last year, all with non-actively-managed funds. And he's consistently beaten all the traditional indices for years. You might want to rearrange your 401k!

I have a rule: never take investment advice on an automotive internet forum...or any internet forum for that matter. And I've been all index funds in my 401k for several years now, thanks. Fees will eat you up over the long run. You don't have to worry about it though with that 10% return year in, year out.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:10 AM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
You shouldn't take any financial advice from others. Do your own homework based on what works for you. Period.

Sorry to beat this dead horse, but, one more point; Leasing is a cash flow tool. In that situation it works great. But, I never saw how it was cheaper then financing or paying cash. If leasing was so great we'd be doing it with everything that depreciates. How many people are leasing their furniture? Or that big screen TV in your family room? You're not? How come?

There are plenty of "rent to own" companies out there ready to do it, and, plenty of people that take advantage of it every day. The reason you probably are not leasing your furniture or electronic equipment is because the price point is low enough that you can just pay cash? Sound familiar now?

For the same reason you'd never consider leasing your TV (and feel sorry for those that have too), someone with enough cash would never consider leasing or financing a car (and feels sorry for US). It's just a more expensive way to do it. Leasing (and to a lesser extend financing) DOES have it's advantages and meets the needs of some. However, it's just a cash flow advantage, not a TCO advantage.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:47 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
Hmmmmm....interesting point that I will remember the next time I'm in the market for a car. Negotiating a high-mileage 3-year lease would not be a bad idea. The current RL would still be a bad lease deal in that situation, no?
Quite simply, a bad lease is a bad lease. If they came out with a subsidized money factor like .00095, then it would be a great deal, that money factor works out to an APR of 2.28%. This would compensate for the not so good residual and keep the payment down.

The TL lease from last month worked out well for the 30K per year driver, but you had a good residual (not great) and an incredible money factor.
Old 07-17-2007, 05:34 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Originally Posted by dwboston
I have a rule: never take investment advice on an automotive internet forum.
That's second only to "Don't take car buying advice from anybody on an automotive forum."

(Pssssst: Index funds suck. )

Old 07-17-2007, 07:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
(Pssssst: Index funds suck. )
Yeah - it sucks paying 10-20 basis points a year for the return of the index when you could be paying 100 - 150 basis points a year for an active manager to most likely underperform. Compund that out over 20-30 years and see how much money is thrown away for no better returns.