RL Driving Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 07:33 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RL Driving Opinions

I'm seriously looking to purchase a 2006 RL. I recently took a test drive. During the test drive the salesman wouldn't stop talking. I couldn't get a good feel for the car's quietness, ride, etc, as he kept talking about the cars features, onstar, etc. I'm going to go to another dealer to better evaluate the car. I'm also looking at the M35 and GS300.

I'd like to hear some opinions on how the drive/ride of these cars differ. I'm looking for something a little more luxurious, something that rides a little quieter, a little more smoother, that my current TL-S, without a significant loss in performance.
Old 06-18-2006, 08:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I have not driven a GS300, but have driven the RL, M45 sport, and M35x. I ended up with the M45 sport. The M35x I drove when the dealer followed me home to drop off another vehicle, and I drove back the M35x to the dealership to pick up the 45.

First the M35x: I didn't even realize it was a M35x while driving it back, i thought it was a non-sport M45. During normal driving, the power and torque is very adequate, and only lacks (comparing to the M45) during hard acceleration (low and midrange torque). The rims were 18", so the ride is only slightly smoother than the M45 sport's 19" rims, and noise level was about the same.

RL: I didn't think it was quieter than the M35x, but similar to the M45 sport, which is not bad at all...although the RL only had the 17" rims. I heard this may be due to the OEM tire choice by Acura. The ride was between the M35x and M45 sport, so very smooth, especially if you're coming from a TL-S (I had a CL-S prior).

I think the only difference I noticed is acceleration in the RL compared to a CL-S. One of the things that turned me off was during almost WOT acceleration on an on-ramp, the tranny downshifted and revved, but the car slowly surged while picking up speed...no kick in the butt acceleration. I remember there was more of a "kick" when accelerating hard in the CL-S after it downshifted. This may be due to SH-AWD or just the ECU/tranny tuning to prevent a jerky downshift, more weight, or all of the above...so there is a little loss in performance with RL compared to a TL-S or CL-S.

But in the end, if it was between a regular (non-sport, non-AWD) M35 and RL, it would've been a hard choice, but I probably would have gone with the RL...better value, SH-AWD standard, and a better designed interior.

As for the GS300, I went to look at them but for some reason was not moved. Must've been the condensation I saw in the headlight housings of every single GS they had on the lot.
Old 06-18-2006, 09:54 PM
'06 RL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ask the dealer if you can drive the car alone for a few hours. When I went to check out the car, my dealer just took a copy of my license and insurance card, walked me around a demo car, handed me the key, and said "See you this afternoon."

Just make sure you test drive the exact car you're buying before you get it, though. The demo '05 I drove was great, but a different color than I wanted. The one that was the color I wanted rattled like an old hamster wheel from the moment I drove it off the lot... if I'd test driven THAT car before signing the papers, it would have saved me a lot of hassle.
Old 06-19-2006, 08:35 AM
Racer

[QUOTE=alicht]I recently took a test drive. During the test drive the salesman wouldn't stop talking. I couldn't get a good feel for the car's quietness, ride, etc, as he kept talking about the cars features, onstar, etc. /QUOTE]

Try taking a friend with you on test drives...that's what I did. With her along, the input from the salesman was a positive because I didn't feel obligated for conversation.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:37 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Ask the dealer to let you test drive the car without a salesman present.
Old 06-19-2006, 11:06 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
Ask the dealer to let you drive the car overnight. Considering how slowly the RL is selling, they should let you have the courtesy.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:57 PM
6th Gear

I will be going back to do the dealer for another test drive...this time without
the talkative salesman.

I'm still interested in hearing other peoples opinion on how the RL drives and rides
compared to the M35 and GS300. Thanks
Old 06-20-2006, 09:39 PM
Racer

I shopped the GS300 and the new ES350 and chose the RL.

The GS300 is about to get a refresh and turn into a GS350 and get some updates on the inside including new nav system and stereo that plays MP3's. Right now it has the Gen IV system and not the Gen V that the IS, LS, and ES has now. That being said, you can get a good deal on them at invoice, but there's no factory money to go under invoice.

The RL has factory money so you can get it as low as 41 ish.

I chose the RL because I liked it's interior better. The GS felt cramped inside relative to the RL. I had to give the nod to the GS in beauty of the interior however.

The RL is much more connected to the road. The problem I have with Lexus is that the cars have no soul. They are pure luxury and cloud-like driving, but lack true driver feedback and feel for the road. The Acura gives great feedback and handles better than any of the sedans mentioned in this thread. It's weird b/c there is more body roll than I expected in the RL, but the grip is unending!

The RL's system is better than the Levinson system IMO.

The exterior of the GS is an acquired taste. I actually like it now and like it a little more than the RL.

Ultimately I chose the RL because it's nav, soundsystem, and driver feel was all superior, and then factor in the thousands I saved vs. an equally equipped GS300.
Old 06-21-2006, 01:38 AM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
I shopped the GS as well. I like the exterior design of the GS a bit mroe than the RL, but the RL's interior is far better IMHO.

Be aware, the Gev IV NAV in the GS does not come close to the NAV in the RL. I have a 2004 Toyota Land Cruiser that was was the second year for the gen IV Nav. The VR is absolutely worthless with very limited commands. You cannot voice dial and the system just isn't integrated withthe rest of the car as it is in the RL.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:30 AM
Team Owner

GS300 is too soft and the steering feels like there's a vat of marshmallow goo between your steering wheel and the road. It's not imprecise, but it doesn't give much feed back. Not a good drivers car, definitely the cruiser of the bunch.

The M35 is sharper on initial turn-in, but that can be attributed largely to the sport package wheels and tires on the car I drove. It seems to ride a bit stiffer than the RL, but without a sufficient handling increase to justify the extra stiffness.

The RL is somewhere in between the two. It rides smoother than the M35, but not as smooth as the GS300. It's steering is not quite as sharp as the M35 Sport (though a different set of tires alone might change that sufficiently), but lightyears better than the GS300's.
Old 06-21-2006, 09:46 AM
office monkey

Originally Posted by Scott in Houston
The problem I have with Lexus is that the cars have no soul. They are pure luxury and cloud-like driving, but lack true driver feedback and feel for the road.
The first gen IS300 had "soul" and you could feel the road more so than the RL. Handling was about equal although the RL probably had better at the limit handling because of the AWD system.

I agree about the GS300s comments here. It has weird steering and it isn't up to RL levels in handling/driving excitement. Won't comment on the other Lexus models like the LS and ES because they are designed for comfort not handling (while the GS is their mid level sports sedan) so it is pointless to criticize them for their intended purpose. I wish I was in my parents' LS430 rather than my RL after driving on some crappy ass roads yesterday. It was nasty and feeling the road wasn't all that exciting.

I wonder what the IS350 drives like. I took the AWD250 out for a drive and it was decent in handling area. I expect the 350 to be less thna the IS300 in handling but don't know for sure.

The first gen IS300 was Lexus' RL...an amazing car that didn't sell that well but the majority who drove it loved it.
Old 06-21-2006, 10:38 AM
Racer

The IS is a neat car. It's hard to compare to the RL. It's not in the same class at all. It's much smaller inside and out, and is not meant to compete with the RL.

It is the only Lexus with any feel and 'soul', and it does an awesome job of combining that with Luxury. If it was larger, I would have highly considered the IS350. I originally set out to buy one, but didn't even drive it once I saw how small the back seats were.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:54 AM
Team Owner

To me, the IS lacked steering feel and feedback. Driving it back to back with a BMW 3-Series, you easily noticed the huge disconnect between the driver and the tires. On the BMW, you knew where the tires were and how much grip was available. The IS just never gave me that feel and it got crossed off my list of cars when I was shopping again back in November.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:57 AM
Racer

BMW is hands down the best sedan in terms of driver feel and feedback. No one can touch them.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:33 PM
10th Gear

BMW is a fine driving car, no doubt, but, I went for the E500 instead for the overall package. Now I enjoy the RL as much or more than the E. A little more feedback and cabin noise than the E but not as stark a contrast as the BMW, IMO.
Additionally and probably most important is the fact that the existing BMW styling just doesn't do it for me.
Old 06-22-2006, 08:22 PM
6th Gear

Thanks for all the interesting thoughts. I've narrowed it down to 2. Its either an M35 or the RL. There are pros and cons to both. My personal opinion is that I
like the Infiniti's exterior and the RL's interior. I really liked the cooled seats in the Infiniti. I just don't understand why Acura made them available in Canada but not in the US.

I think its going to come down to how they drive. I'm going to be test driving them again this weekend. Its decision time.
Old 06-22-2006, 09:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by alicht
I just don't understand why Acura made them available in Canada but not in the US.
Because of Canada's tropical climates.
Old 06-23-2006, 05:49 PM
10th Gear

RL Driving Opinions

Hi - I spent quite a bit of time researching cars in this price & size range and to no surprise, it came down to the M35x and the RL. Strictly comparing cars, I liked the M35x a bit better, Better acceleration & handling, cooled seats, more front seat leg room (I'm 6'2") . I liked the exterior looks of the RL better, it seemed a little quieter, better parts availability in my area. But the swing factor was that I connected with the RL salesman better than M35 salesman.

Both great cars. Can't go wrong with either.
Old 06-27-2006, 01:06 AM
Intermediate

Thumbs up

Hi. TL driver here. I took my Dad to Las Vegas for this past Father's Day weekend and we took his '05 RL. I live in So Cal, so we took the I-15 freeway to Las Vegas. It's several hundred miles one-way.

The car drives like a dream. I thought my TL was fun and nice to drive, but driving my Dad's RL inspired extreme confidence at high speeds and passing other drivers. It's performance is effortless and coming back to So Cal from Las Vegas lended me the opportunity to test it's handling. The route back is the old highway that's been converted into two lanes before the whole thing became a 4 lane highway. Lot's of dips and older pavement and the car took the punishment like a man when unexpectedly hit some of them at 80+ MPH.
You can feel the road pretty good, but it still filters out all but the worst offenders to your suspension. The RL in my opinion is an oversized sports car... it drives like a sports car, handles like one, and feels the road like one.. but the thing weighs almost 4000 lbs. The amenities are there, and I was pleased that the A/C kept the cabin at a relaxing 72 degrees while driving through Baker, CA (Death Valley) where the giant thermometer read 112 degrees.
Very quiet cabin, and acceleration is smooth and effortless. When going down the steep highway at Cajon Pass that seems to go on forever, I was on cruise control and going 80+ and could feel the AWD kicking in as I made the long, twisty descent.

My Dad doesn't like the car. He wishes he had gotten a Lexus. When I asked why, he said it's too sporty and not cushy and quiet enough compared to Mom's ES330. Having said that, nothing beats a Lexus for solitude in the cabin, but if a great car with great performance and handling is your thing, I'd take an RL any day.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:36 AM
Cruisin'

Your dad didn't think the premium leather was cushy? and he didn't the Active noise cancellation kept the cabin quiet? Thats crazy. Sometimes I have to rev the engine super loud just the know the car is on sometimes. The RL is easily on par with Lexus as far as cabin quietness, actually to be truthfully honest the ES I test drove had and AC that sounded like a wind tunnel (could have just been the car though). In the end it just comes down to what you like. I love the RL
Old 06-27-2006, 10:48 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Ocelot
Your dad didn't think the premium leather was cushy? and he didn't the Active noise cancellation kept the cabin quiet? Thats crazy. Sometimes I have to rev the engine super loud just the know the car is on sometimes. The RL is easily on par with Lexus as far as cabin quietness, actually to be truthfully honest the ES I test drove had and AC that sounded like a wind tunnel (could have just been the car though). In the end it just comes down to what you like. I love the RL
I think his dad was referring to the drive. The RL is much sportier than the ES300 and it doesn't let you forget it. As for noise, the RL really is not quite nearly as quiet as the ES.

But then again, you have to look at the tarket demographics. The owners of the ES want something that rides on a cloud, is quiet as a tomb, and coddles them. RL drivers want something that is sporty, but still provides solid luxury and amenities.
Old 06-27-2006, 11:50 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Got my RL for $40,000 on the lease program. The RL is one sweet ride, but don't expect TL manners for handling. Moving 4,012 pounds still has to obey the law of physics. For an Interstate cruiser in all kinds of weather the RL is tops.
Old 06-27-2006, 04:38 PM
Cruisin'

Cool

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
I think his dad was referring to the drive. The RL is much sportier than the ES300 and it doesn't let you forget it. As for noise, the RL really is not quite nearly as quiet as the ES.

But then again, you have to look at the tarket demographics. The owners of the ES want something that rides on a cloud, is quiet as a tomb, and coddles them. RL drivers want something that is sporty, but still provides solid luxury and amenities.
yeah I guess in some ways you're right about the RL and its ride. I figured by cushy he meant the seats..thats why I was like WTF?!?!?! As far as the ES, its far been Lexus' thing to make such quiet cars, something that they're getting out of with the new IS lineup but the ES is a car that looks like and drives like its mean to be everything to everyone and therefore succeeds at nothing really. For instance they come so base and everythings an add-on that imo are overpriced. I can honestly say that they are working on getting outta that static formula of "wow they all look like toyotas" (btw something that Acura is working on/succeeding at as well). If there were any Lexus that I would opt for it would be the IS-350, I love that body style and its got the Engine and interior to match. But as it is, I guess the ES does do whats need to cover many demographics and for the price its hard to beat but I'm nowhere near the age where I want something that rides on cloud(I want responsiveness...I want to feel the road and hug the corners), and be quiet as a tomb (I want to hear that I am accelerating...feel the speed so to speak) so in the end you could be right. Its all about what you need the car for. I'm only 22 so maybe in 10 years I'll retract this statement...but I doubt it. I'll take my ridiculously loaded RL any day of the week
Old 06-29-2006, 07:19 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by TL Maestro
My Dad doesn't like the car. He wishes he had gotten a Lexus. When I asked why, he said it's too sporty and not cushy and quiet enough compared to Mom's ES330. Having said that, nothing beats a Lexus for solitude in the cabin, but if a great car with great performance and handling is your thing, I'd take an RL any day.
Why don't you get your dad to give you the RL and let him trade your TL on a Lexus.