RDX vs. RL

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 09:56 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
RDX vs. RL

OK. There really isn't a comparison, but my RL is in to have ANOTHER door handle replaced. I had requested an MDX, but all of them were out, and they asked me if the RDX would do. Since I've never driven one, I willingly obliged.

I have to say that I am thoroughly impressed by this little CUV. The turbo provides a noticeable kick when it engages, and I would assume that if you dip into it much (as I find myself constatnly doing), it will negate the fuel economy benefits of the 4-banger. It doesn't feel like an SUV, it does feel like a little sports car.

Obviously I noticed some missings, like the fact that the rear windows don't have express up/down. No voice controls, although this model is a non-nav unit, so a nav version may have it.

Here is one comparison to the RL (should make this thread legal ). I notices that the noise compensation feature of the radio (not the noise cancellation) is much more noticeable with the RDX than it is with the RL. Driving with the sunroof open, you definitely noticed the volume increase as you accelerated to cruising speed, and then the volume lower as you came to a stop.

If I were looking to downsize, but still needed a wagon for the occasional times I would have light duty hauling needs, the RDX would be very high on my list.
Old 06-02-2008, 06:37 AM
Alpha Geek

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
The RDX "Tech" version has Voice recog.

I have both these vehicles in my household...(Me, 06 RL, G/F 07 RDX Tech)
I used the RDX the other day to go pickup my Honda Pushmower,and I love driving that just as much as my RL, and more in some ways....the RDX feels more like a sportscar than the RL does, and as GoHawks mentioned, that turbo kick really makes you smile!
Old 06-02-2008, 10:35 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have said this before but I would take a Turbo 3.5 RL over a 3.7 or even V8 anyday!! After sampling the Turbo 335xi I was sold on the turbo concept!!
Old 06-02-2008, 11:02 AM
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
The RL is a great car, but I miss the punch of the Audi S4.

The 2010 plan for the Audi S4 has caught my interest. They're going from a V8 to a forced induction 6 cylinder. Some say it will be a combination of a Turbo and Supercharger. This will increase the fuel efficiency by 20% but still maintain the 340 HP.
Old 06-02-2008, 12:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
When I bought my RL, I had every intention of buying an RDX. I walked into the dealer. My salesman was busy so he threw me the keys to an RDX (Tech) and told me to bring it back "later." I had it for about four hours and decided there were more dislikes for me than likes...no memory seats, no power passenger seat, engine sounded strained, "cheap" feeling rear seat folding mechanism, rough (sporty?) ride, and more. When I got back, he threw me MDX keys and I ran some errands with it. Loved it but already have an '04 MDX (not ready to get rid of it yet) so the MDX wasn't really an option. Then he threw me the keys to the RL and told me to bring it back the next day (it was getting late). After an evening and night with the RL, I decided I liked it and after getting (what I considered to be) a very good deal, it was a done deal.

LL
Old 06-02-2008, 12:54 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
Did the 06 RL have SVC (speed volume compensation)? I didn't think it did.
Old 06-02-2008, 06:29 PM
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Here is my take on the RDX vs RL. Personally I HATED the RDX. The turbo is horrible, although it doesn't have much lag it still does. When you rev the engine the boost quits about 1K rpms before redline, thus you get the dreaded off-on-off phenomenon. On sharp slow curves where you want to accelerate to exploit SHAWD the boost tends to hit like a hammer right in the middle of the turn, completely upsetting the vehicle dynamics. The ride is atrocious, on broken pavement at slow speeds it pogosticks as if were a suzuki samurai. The seats were good but the rest of the dash materials felt and looked rather cheap (for an Acura). Furthermore, the whoosh of the turbo is a constant reminder that its there. IMO its definitely the worst car Acura has ever put out, its like it was produced by a commitee of guys that never worked together. Honda's greatness is how all the "parts" seem to work harmoniously together to make a whole that is nicer than the individual parts, the RDX simply has no harmony.
I know my outlook is rather harsh but in 25 years of owning and driving Hondas it is simply the only one I have trully disliked. They tried to make a sport-luxury CRV and simply failed, a thoroughly halfbaked, platform sharing, disaster.