Rattles in new 2008 RL Tech

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 05:20 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rattles in new 2008 RL Tech

Hi all, I am the owner of a new 2008 RL Tech and I now have almost 3,000 miles on the car and the indicator showing 50% oil life left. I have two rattles or noises which are driving me nuts. One is from the sunroof sunshade which when left open to expose the glass roof, vibrates continuously, yes I can slide it shut, but it makes the interior darker. The other comes from the drivers door, below the window where the material changes finish. I thought it was originally the mirror or from the base in the sound system, but I isolated both and found out that it was coming from the interior material on the door. I can push it while driving and the noise stops. Hopefully the dealer can fix this at my first service.

I was going to wait for the new TL but I wasn't crazy about the price or the look. Instead I decided to buy a leftover 2008 RL and I am very happy about my choice in cars.

davidshaps
scottsdale arizona
2008 RL Tech 3,000 miles
white diamond pearl/parchment interior
rear deck spoiler, wood shift knob, 3M door edge guards
tinted windows, mud guards, trunk molded piece

previous: 2005 Acura TL champagne 4 yrs
2003 Acura TL type s 3 yrs
Old 11-05-2008, 05:22 PM
Racer

put that factory warranty to good use =)
Old 11-05-2008, 05:42 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
The sunroof issue is common and requires the weather strip surrounding the glass panel be lubricated. The friction beween the rubber material and the metal surround causes a creak / rattle like sound. It is usually not audible when the sunshade is closed. Simply ask for it to be lubed each time you take it in for service, as it will eventually return.

The sound you describe from the driver's doo ris one I am not familiar with. Again, have the dealer address it. Try to isolate it so you can recreate it for the tech.

My RL is 2.5 years old, and I had a center console creak and rear sunshade rattle, both of which were addressed when the car was new. I also have my sunroof lubed at each MID service call. My RL is still solid and no new rattles have introduced themselves ito the cabin. It has held up better than other vehicles I have owned, includung my former TL which at 18 months sounded like it was coming unglued.
Old 11-05-2008, 07:21 PM
Greb 06 RL

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
To TampaRL...Do you know what the dealer uses to lube the sunroof weatherstrip? Can we do it? Thanks
Old 11-05-2008, 07:45 PM
Racer

I think this is the one Honda uses:

Shin-Etsu Grease
Genuine Factory Honda shin-etsu grease , for lubricating rubber door seals.

http://www.handa-accessories.com/shin.jpg

http://www.handa-accessories.com/rl.html
Old 11-05-2008, 08:28 PM
Racer

Regarding the noise from the door, I have a simple fix you might try. I had a noise form the door and it fixed mine. At the bottom corner of the door on the inside is a black rubber stopper that can be turned in and out. It is used to adjust the door. Try turning it out a bit and see if does not hold the door more tightly and hopefully reduces the noise.
Old 11-06-2008, 11:46 AM
Cruisin'

Thanks for the info about the sunroof sliding shade. The other noise seems to be on the seam of the interior trim material, under the window, halfway between the door handle and the rear edge of the door. It stops when I push it in, when the noise occurs. I alsotook everything out of the door pocket before I tried to trace the noise. Yes, the RL is much better than my 05 TL which had numberous noises and rattles and also drove me crazy. I guess the RL is so quiet you can really hear any unwanted noises no matter how a low volume they are.
Old 11-06-2008, 03:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
If you can get it to stop, it should be a relatively easy fix (for the dealer). It's the rattles you can't find that are tough.

LL
Old 11-16-2008, 09:40 PM
Lazy Idiot

Originally Posted by TampaRL
The sunroof issue is common and requires the weather strip surrounding the glass panel be lubricated. The friction beween the rubber material and the metal surround causes a creak / rattle like sound. It is usually not audible when the sunshade is closed. Simply ask for it to be lubed each time you take it in for service, as it will eventually return.

The sound you describe from the driver's doo ris one I am not familiar with. Again, have the dealer address it. Try to isolate it so you can recreate it for the tech.

My RL is 2.5 years old, and I had a center console creak and rear sunshade rattle, both of which were addressed when the car was new. I also have my sunroof lubed at each MID service call. My RL is still solid and no new rattles have introduced themselves ito the cabin. It has held up better than other vehicles I have owned, includung my former TL which at 18 months sounded like it was coming unglued.
Can Anybody tell me how to fix that center console rattle. It squeaks every time i come to a complete halt. I just need instructions to give the dealer.Those guys have no idea on how to fix this car.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:39 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
I fixed my own by getting some tacky back felt and pulling the shift console cover then applying the felt around the edges where the cover meets the console. Took care of my squeeks. I nitially tried having dealer fix but they could not duplicate the squeek - pretty general response for warranty squeek issues.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:46 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

There were some pics in one of the threads, but I have not been able to locate them yet. Try searching 'Center Console Creaks' as there were a few threads and a lot of discussion around these issues about 2 years ago.

But my Tech did the following potential source fixes:

1) Felted between the aluminum shifter gate plate and the surrounding trim piece.

2) Insulated below the 'Not an Ashtray' bin with felt and some soft packing foam.

3) Felt tape under the 2 vertical metallic trim pieces on either side of the center stack.

4) Teflon taped a seam inside the console. This is the pic I was looking for. This is also likely the area where he higher pitched squeak originated. It ocurred when stopping and starting as the associated flex of the car caused this seam to bind. There is a seam where the two metal frame pieces of the console overlay each other, and pins on both sides fit into small holes of the other piece. These pins and the seam whas where he used teflon tape.

That was 2 years ago, not a single creak has returned. And I can press down on the console, the shifter plate surround trim piece and no creaks, squeaks or plastic pops occur.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:51 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Here, this thread covers a lot of it...

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...e+center+creak

In post #6 there is a pic where you can see the pins I referred to above (Issue #4). Look just forward of the exposed shifter plate at either corner and you will see the pins where one console frame piece overlays the other and the pin hold them in place. This was apparently a source of the high pitched squeak that occurs at stop and launch while driving.