questions for the RL experts

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2005, 12:51 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
questions for the RL experts

Hi,

Just got my car a last night and had few questions, so wondering if anyone can answer them for me.

1. Since i am used to walking away from the car once leaving it, is there anywhere we can program the doors to lock when walking away from the car without touching the dimples on the doorhandles or key fob?

2. Can we bypass the safety warning page permanently when turning on the navi everytime?

3. How do we get the side mirrors to tilt when backing up? Does it automatically tilt set as default?

Thanks for your help.
Old 10-14-2005, 02:04 AM
Racer

Congrats!

1: dunno but I doubt it

2: not likely unless someone hacks it. It's a lawsuit induced message. No way Acura will let you get rid of it.

3: use the little switch that determines which mirror you adjust with the joypad
Old 10-14-2005, 03:20 AM
Youse Gots Sacked

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i have a TL....and when i walk away from my car.....i think after 1 minute....the doors automatically lock...im sure that the RL being so expensive and luxurious has a feature such as this
Old 10-14-2005, 08:08 AM
office monkey

Originally Posted by NFLblitze1
i have a TL....and when i walk away from my car.....i think after 1 minute....the doors automatically lock...im sure that the RL being so expensive and luxurious has a feature such as this
It doesnt
Old 10-14-2005, 08:41 AM
Instructor

Hey NFLBLITZ I thinf you might mean if you unlock the car first. I traded an 05 for my RL and my wifes car is a TL. The only way the Tl or RL locks itself is if you unlock the car with the remote and do not open the door. Than after 30 seconds all doors will relock. It is a safety feature incase you are out or something and accidently hit the unlock button. I could be wrong. And to the gentleman who bought the Rl. Congrats I suggest you read the books that came with the car. I read them twice and am still going back to them. I don't mean that sarcastically but the RL is one of the most technologically advanced cars on the road.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:31 AM
Retired MOD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by crazytsxmods
Hey NFLBLITZ I thinf you might mean if you unlock the car first. I traded an 05 for my RL and my wifes car is a TL. The only way the Tl or RL locks itself is if you unlock the car with the remote and do not open the door. Than after 30 seconds all doors will relock. It is a safety feature incase you are out or something and accidently hit the unlock button. I could be wrong. And to the gentleman who bought the Rl. Congrats I suggest you read the books that came with the car. I read them twice and am still going back to them. I don't mean that sarcastically but the RL is one of the most technologically advanced cars on the road.
You are corect, plus the TL does not have the system that the RL have. The RL will not lock the doors for you if you walk away from the car. If you are used to walking away from the car while leaving it, then just press the lock buttom on the keyless enrty remote.

Here is what the Keyless system does from honda:

The RL features a Keyless Access System with driver recognition for driver's seat, steering wheel, outside mirrors, climate control, audio system settings and presets, and select navigation system settings. This feature allows the RL owner to gain access to the car without ever having to unlock it with the remote transmitter or key. The keyless remote has an electronic unique digital identity. The car can be unlocked when the driver grasps one of the front doors with the keyless remote in his/her possession.

Once the driver has opened the door and been seated, the Keyless Access Systemallows him or her to start the RL by pushing and rotating the ignition switch, without inserting a key into the ignition.

To unlock the door, the driver must have the keyless remote in their possession. The remote can remain in a pocket or briefcase; it isn't necessary to have it in hand. The driver simply approaches the car and grasps the door handle to the door.

To lock the doors upon leaving the car, simply touch the raised dimple on outside of the door handle. Alternatively, you can press the Lock button on the keyless remote. All doors will lock simultaneously.

Approaching the driver's side allows the opening of the driver's door only; when approaching the passenger's side, all four doors can be opened. Via the Multi-information display's selectable unlocking feature, the RL owner can preset a preference to have all four doors unlock when the driver's door is engaged.

To open the trunk, simply approach with the remote and pull the lever, and it will automatically unlock so you can open the lid. Note that the system will not allow the recognized transmitter to be locked in the trunk.

Preferences

The Acura RL comes with two keyless remotes. Each keyless remote can be set with a unique preference, for instance to accommodate the preferences of a husband and wife. The preferences include driver's seat, steering wheel and mirror positions, and select HVAC. Other preferences include turning entry lights on or off, audio pre-sets, air conditioning, and navigation system settings. In the event both owners plan to use the car at the same time, the RL will recognize the keyless remote that approaches first.

Built-in Key

A built-in mechanical key is provided as a back up in the event that the keyless remote battery should fail, although the vehicle will signal the driver when the remote battery is low. In this case the RL can be started with the built-in key. For security purposes when using a valet parking service, you can push a trunk lockout switch inside the glove box, and then lock the glove box and the trunk pass-through with the key. Take the built-in key from the keyless remote and keep it, then give the keyless remote to the attendant. The Valet will be unable to unlock the glove compartment or trunk using the keyless remote only.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:55 AM
Instructor

Great post Bitium, Thanks
Old 10-14-2005, 11:41 AM
Instructor

Thanks for the detail post. Too bad its not an option to have doors auto lock when leaving the car. Since i am always in a hurry it will be great if the car locks by itself.

I believe i read somewhere, maybe in the TL forum that they can bypass the the safety warning page when screen is turned on. I will try to check into that.
Old 10-14-2005, 12:02 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by wasabe918
Hi,

Just got my car a last night and had few questions, so wondering if anyone can answer them for me.

1. Since i am used to walking away from the car once leaving it, is there anywhere we can program the doors to lock when walking away from the car without touching the dimples on the doorhandles or key fob?

2. Can we bypass the safety warning page permanently when turning on the navi everytime?

3. How do we get the side mirrors to tilt when backing up? Does it automatically tilt set as default?

Thanks for your help.

1) No
2) No
3) The side view mirror switch has 3 positions.
Push to the right, the right mirror tilts when in reverse
Push to the left, the left mirror tilts when in reverse
Set dead center, neither tilts.
Old 10-14-2005, 01:14 PM
Racer

Oh no I would not want my car to lock itself. It does too many things automagically already

I just wish the indicator that the car is locked was a little more clear. The 'beep' is very subtle which is nice but it can get lost in the noise. On the S there is a lock indicator on the door which you see move as you lock the car. In the RL it's on the inside, invisible.

Talking about the locks, I don't like that you can't easily open the door from the inside when it's locked. It's one of the examples I've found over the last few days where Japanese manufacturers (well, Honda in any case) still have a lot to learn about ergonomics. In an emergency situation, what do you do? You yank the door handle. If it doens't open, you yank it again and again and again. The RL won't open. You have to manipulate the lock lever first. In Audis the first pull unlocks the door, the second opens it. Panic proof. Plus what's this door locking thing when you start driving about? I thought only big American land yachts did that
Old 10-14-2005, 01:47 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Nocturnal
Plus what's this door locking thing when you start driving about? I thought only big American land yachts did that
The automatic door locking is configurable. You can turn off the automatic locks that engage when you start driving.
Old 10-14-2005, 02:40 PM
Instructor

Hey Nocturnal, your a trip, my Dad drives a big white grand marquis as well as my mother. Something about some people over 60. When I get in and start driving the doors lock and the lights turn on. When you put the turn signal on a light shines out on that side to let us now a person that does not care is changing lanes.(Land Yacht)Too funny.
Old 10-14-2005, 03:27 PM
Racer

@first: thanks, didn't get to that page in the manual yet

@crazy: that's funny stuff man