Possible Scam... 2G Headlight on e-Bay

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 08:10 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Possible Scam... 2G Headlight on e-Bay

Not a must but I wouldn't mind replacing my passenger side headlight so I decided to see what e-Bay had and came across an auction for a right (passenger) headlight where the starting bid was at $290.00. If you take a look at the one picture of the headlight, it shows what appears to be a left (driver's side) headlight assembly. So I decided to message the seller to confirm if what he was selling is actually the right headlight and he messaged me back saying that it was in just a few words. So I went a little further and asked that he provide pictures of the right headlight and told him that what he had pictured is the left one. I've yet to get a response from him on my follow-up question which makes me think that what we he is trying to sell is not the real deal. Another thing that is concerning is he has no prior feedback. I decided to pass on it considering that these headlights sell for much more and of course no further responses was received from the seller. Currently there are five different bidders and not sure if anyone here on the forums is one of them. I may very well be losing out on what could be a good deal but as a seller you should post accurate details and pictures of the product you are selling. The one picture he has shows what appears to be a headlight assembly in great condition. Sometimes things you see and read are just too good to be true. Check it out for yourself.

2005 acura RL - Rt headlight | eBay
Old 12-14-2016, 08:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,692 Likes on 6,706 Posts
When in doubt. Pass
Old 12-14-2016, 09:36 PM

Received 612 Likes on 490 Posts
Originally Posted by thoiboi
When in doubt. Pass
Agreed! That definitely looks like a drivers side headlight. Thanks for the heads up. Although ebay has some pretty good protections in place for buyers, usually if an item doesn't match the description, ebay usually sides with the buyer. One thing to keep in mind as well, with online purchases, I try and use American Express when I can as well. While I have no direct experience with it, I have heard that Amex sides with their members more often than Visa or Mastercard, for what it's worth
The following users liked this post:
thoiboi (12-15-2016)
Old 12-15-2016, 12:57 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,692 Likes on 6,706 Posts
Originally Posted by projektvertx
Agreed! That definitely looks like a drivers side headlight. Thanks for the heads up. Although ebay has some pretty good protections in place for buyers, usually if an item doesn't match the description, ebay usually sides with the buyer. One thing to keep in mind as well, with online purchases, I try and use American Express when I can as well. While I have no direct experience with it, I have heard that Amex sides with their members more often than Visa or Mastercard, for what it's worth

my amex is for all my big purchases .
Old 12-15-2016, 10:39 AM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
So yesterday evening the seller got back to me with the following:

"Well the headlight is still in the box and don t want to open it cuase I gonna send it like that.. But it is grand new it look like the one I have in the pic"

BTW that is the exact message sent to me with typos and all. As mentioned earlier, this is an item that I'll pass on. The auction ended with the headlight being sold for an even $400.
Old 12-15-2016, 11:01 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,247 Likes on 4,858 Posts
The typos may be sincere. Lousyanians are often illiterate.
Old 12-15-2016, 11:02 AM

Received 999 Likes on 650 Posts
Yea not worth it at all.

Check out car-part.com
Old 12-15-2016, 01:25 PM
Fk no!TheyldstroyEvrthing

Received 226 Likes on 191 Posts
Sold for 400. Projektvrtx is correct about ebay protection, they used to post a label saying that. Just double check if it's there even without label.

Originally Posted by teh CL
Yea not worth it at all.

Check out car-part.com
You know if someone imagines you as your avatar, the posts are pretty hilarious.
Old 12-15-2016, 03:48 PM

Received 999 Likes on 650 Posts

Well I'm a sucker for Jack & I have a beard..