PCDs & J-Pipe Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 12:10 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PCDs & J-Pipe Questions

I finally gave in and bought these suckers. I'm trying to find out as much information before installing these guys, so I know if this is something I can handle installing myself, or if it would be easier just bringing to a professional.

For the most part it looks pretty straight forward, but I was taking a look at this guide which looks similar: DIY: RV6 PCDs/HFPCs Install Guide for 3.5L V6 EarthDreams Engine (Heavy Pics)

1 question that tripped me up was "With the rear converter out, transfer over the O2 sensors. The rear defouler has been preset 2 turns out. Unless you are getting a check engine light do not mess with this setting."

Can someone clear up what exactly is meant by this? I've only removed o2 sensors on one other car, and all I had to do was use a wrench to remove it as opposed to a o2 sensor tool. Is this relating to a setting on the tool similar to a torque wrench? Is it not just as simple as screwing the o2 sensors in till they're tight?

I really don't want to have a CEL and do this job twice, so just want to make sure I have all the info before I start this job. Any other tips or tricks are greatly appreciated!!

Thanks all

~t.s.
Old 03-16-2016, 09:28 PM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 427 Posts
I don't know what they mean by the defouler preset so I can't help you there. I installed HFPC's and j-pipe on my TL, (I actually purchased them for my 06 RL but it was totaled before I could install them), but the process is basically the same.

I would strongly recommend buying or renting a Honda O2 sensor tool. They are cheap to buy and even cheaper to rent from a local parts store. Using box wrenches, you are much more likely to round off the O2 sensor and then you'll REALLY wish you had just gotten the tool. You'll be removing three O2 sensors in total and I would say the chances of rounding off at least one of them using the wrong tool is relatively high.

As far as whether or not you can handle it yourself, I guess you just need to be honest with yourself about both your level of experience as well as your level of patience. The rear cat is a fucking pain in the ass. Previous to doing the cats on my 4G, I had done everything including brakes, suspension, every imaginable bolt-on mod, an engine swap and a custom turbo build. I can safely say that removing the rear cat on my 4G TL was one of the most infuriating things I've ever done with a car. No joke. When I finally got that bitch out, I chucked it across my front yard.

You will have to search around and find a smaller shop that cares more about putting money in their drawer than obeying the law if you are going to pay somebody to do it. I'm pretty sure it's illegal in all 52 states to tamper with or remove any part of the emissions system.

Last edited by BDoggPrelude; 03-16-2016 at 09:32 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by BDoggPrelude:
oo7spy (03-16-2016), projektvertx (03-17-2016)
Old 03-16-2016, 10:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,247 Likes on 4,858 Posts
52 states.
Old 03-16-2016, 10:48 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BDoggPrelude
I don't know what they mean by the defouler preset so I can't help you there. I installed HFPC's and j-pipe on my TL, (I actually purchased them for my 06 RL but it was totaled before I could install them), but the process is basically the same.

I would strongly recommend buying or renting a Honda O2 sensor tool. They are cheap to buy and even cheaper to rent from a local parts store. Using box wrenches, you are much more likely to round off the O2 sensor and then you'll REALLY wish you had just gotten the tool. You'll be removing three O2 sensors in total and I would say the chances of rounding off at least one of them using the wrong tool is relatively high.

As far as whether or not you can handle it yourself, I guess you just need to be honest with yourself about both your level of experience as well as your level of patience. The rear cat is a fucking pain in the ass. Previous to doing the cats on my 4G, I had done everything including brakes, suspension, every imaginable bolt-on mod, an engine swap and a custom turbo build. I can safely say that removing the rear cat on my 4G TL was one of the most infuriating things I've ever done with a car. No joke. When I finally got that bitch out, I chucked it across my front yard.

You will have to search around and find a smaller shop that cares more about putting money in their drawer than obeying the law if you are going to pay somebody to do it. I'm pretty sure it's illegal in all 52 states to tamper with or remove any part of the emissions system.
Thanks for the tip. I plan on using a local shops lift that charges $5 per hour, so I will put it up in the air and see what I'm getting into.

Originally Posted by oo7spy
52 states.
hehe

~t.s.
Old 03-16-2016, 11:08 PM
Drifting

52 states.
Sorry. I mean 54....I mean 55. I think it's illegal on the moon too.
Old 03-16-2016, 11:11 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by tofusensei
Thanks for the tip. I plan on using a local shops lift that charges $5 per hour, so I will put it up in the air and see what I'm getting into.
I did it in my garage with 4 jack stands, air tools and a bunch of hand tools. Most of the work is done from the top of the motor so you won't want to have the car to high off the ground.
Old 03-16-2016, 11:12 PM
Drifting

52 states.
And I don't know how the fuck I hit 2 instead of 0. Must be getting late.
Old 03-17-2016, 09:05 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,247 Likes on 4,858 Posts
Thought maybe you were including DC and Guam. I doubt Puerto Rico cares.
Old 03-18-2016, 06:44 PM
Intermediate

Oh my this was quite a job. Not so much difficult as just being time consuming. Question for those of you that have the most recent version of J Pipe, is there no hangar?? I don't like the idea of it just resting there, but if that's how it was designed, I suppose it was tested o.k.

~t.s.
Old 04-05-2016, 07:15 AM
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 37 Posts
The new J pipes dont have a hanger. Youll be fine.

Some have them and some dont

Last edited by JDMCRX; 04-05-2016 at 07:18 AM.