Over $6000 to go from 2005rl to 2008 ex35

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 06:49 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Over $6000 to go from 2005rl to 2008 ex35

I loved my 2005 RL....and the fact that I did not see them everywhere did not diminish how great I knew the RL is. Even though I had to pay over $6000in mileage overage at the end of my lease....I decided to look at other cars and what type of deals were available. My own Acura dealer did absolutely nothing to try to keep my business or keep me in my RL or lease me a new car.
I ended up with a 2008 Infiniti EX35 (Black/Black) fully loaded....bought it for a little over $40,000 at 0% for 6 years....paying about the same per month as I was for the RL...but now I own it and will not have to worry about putting on over 25,000 miles per year. It's funny that I see more and more RL's on the road now...and I still love the 2005RL. I'm not crazy about the new front end and grille...but that's just me.
After over a month....and 2500 miles....I love my EX35. It's another great car...not many on the road...still trying to find a customer base.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:22 AM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Just out of curiosity, as a CUV, is it more car like or SUV like. The RDX, despite its stiff sporty suspension is still a tippy SUV as far as I am concerned. The EX seems more like a tall station wagon than an SUV, which is a good thing, lower CG and all. Watching minivans go through a slalom and accident avoidance course versus an SUV, with the typical teenage driver at the helm, I would make the teenager drive the mini van. The SUVs looked downright scary (and these included a 1G Pilot and MDX).

My neighbor has an EX, and it seems like a compelling package, especially for her needs as high powered executive, single mom.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:01 AM
Intermediate

I Love my EX35

Hi Chas
I like smaller/tight handling cars...and that is why the fact that the RL was smaller than some of it's competitors never bothered me. I drive 50 miles to work each way each day and having a car that could zig-zag and do it quickly was very important. The RL was a great car...I was always in control in any weather or roadway condition.
The EX35 is not an SUV...it is more a sports wagon (like my wifes Volvo XC70)...and because of it's size and speed makes me remember the Nissan 280ZX or Toyota Supra 2 + 2 that I owned many many years ago - but the EX35 is even more fun to drive than they were. And when you actually compare it in size next to a lot of mid size sedans...like the RL...it actually looks smaller.
I'm still getting used to it...and waiting to see how it does in fall and winter weather. It is normally in rear drive mode...and switches to all wheel mode when conditions warrant. It is a fun car to drive.
It is definitely lower and probably better handling than the RDX - and with 297 horsepower...not turbo horsepower...has plenty of horses to push and pull when needed.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:14 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dude, we just got an EX35 as well!!! We got it over the Labor Day weekend with the 0 down, 0% interest deal as well; it's my wife's car replacing an 06 Murano and we BOTH love it! It is also black/black with some of the bells and whistles like Nav, Wood, Premium, Rails and Crossbars. We're still having an issue with the steering wheel controls but it should be good to go tomorrow. I am amazed how good this thing drives, how grounded it feels and the power is excellent. The tranny shifts on the spot and ... It's just a great car with great features and capabilities. I actually talked my wife into "letting" me get an FX50 when the RL is due for certain death. I would probably get an M45 or the M50, assuming it makes it out to production by late next year.

Enjoy!
Old 09-05-2008, 07:02 AM
Intermediate

Where do all the RL owners go?

Hi Roy
There are so many great cars to look at and test drive...and any preconceived opinions of what WAS has little to do with what IS. The RL was a car ahead of the curve back in 2005 when I leased it - today there are a lot of other great comparable sedans. I think that Acura has not done a good job keeping guys like you and me happy - I know that Honda/Acura is doing just fine...but...even my dealership was not comfortable with selling and servicing the RL. Everyone I dealt with sent me the clear message that they did not know what to do with the RL...servicing...selling...promoting. The Infiniti dealership just down the road did a great job promoting their entire product line...and I think they have a broader spectrum of vehicles that are clearly more style and performance oriented.
Although I could have gone for the M35X...more similar to the RL...I think that the EX35 does a great job of combining the performance/handling of a sports sedan with the utility of an SUV. Time will tell whether it holds up as well as the RL....I loved my RL.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:38 AM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Thanks for the update. Although we are neighbors, I have not yet been able to sit in the EX or drive it, so I can only see it from afar.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:42 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also went to Infiniti from my 05 RL, and the dealership also did very little to maintain my long term business. Unfortunately, Acura just doesn't have the product anymore, or at least right now. I went into the G37S, and man, I absolutely love it!! It was the first car I test drove that made me upset to get back into my RL. And I got an amazing deal to boot. For me it was one of those rare situations where I would have actually paid more than I did for the car if I had too! I have always been a huge fan of Honda/Acura and likely will be back in the future, (2011 RL??), but driving the Infiniti product confirmed what I have read over the last few years. It seems Infiniti has quietly displaced Acura and BMW as the value, performance, luxury, fun to drive oriented vehicle. Congratulations on all your recent purchases!!
Old 09-05-2008, 10:52 AM
Intermediate

NISSAN/INFINITI hard to beat

Hi Guys
Yes...even toward the end of my RL lease I was watching many of the Infiniti models...and ads on TV...hard not to like what you see. I think that both Nissan and Infiniti have defined and refined their product line and definitely give the best value for the buck. I have seen many a new Altima and thought it was some very expensive sports car only to get closer and realize it was "just" an Altima.
Now all we have to pray for is that it is as reliable as a Honda/Acura
GOOD LUCK GUYS