Opinions needed on 05 RL with CARFAX reported accident

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 10:54 AM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Opinions needed on 05 RL with CARFAX reported accident

Hello All,

Wanted to get yall's opinion on this RL that I test drove on Thursday. It's an 05 with 25K miles, price is $22900, seems to be in great shape, most likely right off lease, the carfax report is showing no signs of airbag deployment or salvage title, but it does report a front end accident. Here's a description of the accident from carfax:
Accident reported
in Monmouth County
Involving front impact
It hit another motor vehicle
Vehicle towed
Front area primarily damaged

Is this something that I should be concerned with and back away from the deal? Or would an inspection at Acura dealership be enough to have a peace of mind about this car. Also, how badly would it hurt the resale value of the car?
The dealer won't budge on the price even though there is another identical RL on the lot with the same miles/price/configuration and completely clean carfax (I'd get it insdead, but it's been smoked in and I can't deal with that). The rep stated that they took into consideration the fact that the car has been in an accident when they priced it. Should I get back out there and try to talk them down, or just stay clear of this car?

Here's a link to the ad for the RL in question: http://georgia-best-car-deal.ebizaut...m-3283099.html

Thanks..

Thought of another small question, not related to the main topic.. does the second gen RL take 87 gas or it only rides on premium?
Old 08-23-2008, 11:12 AM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I wouldnt touch it, look else where. The RL takes premium. Stay away from the car!
Old 08-23-2008, 12:02 PM
05 Acura RL

It only takes premium gas. So that sucks but gas prices have dropped a little. As far as the price goes it looks like a great deal but it will affect the resale value. If you plan on keeping the car for a long time (8 years +) then I wouldn't worry about it. Get it inspected properly before you buy at an Acura dealership. Hopefully it was only body damage and the engine/parts weren't affected. I paid 25,900 for mine at 18K miles just over a month ago.
Old 08-23-2008, 12:12 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have it inspected. Could be a minor accident that only required minor repair. If you'll keep it awhile get it.
Old 08-23-2008, 01:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 99 Posts
The price is decent, but I wouldn't touch it with front end damage. There's enough 05 RL's out there, without smoke damage, as well. Prices should continue to fall throughout the fall as the 06s start to come off lease. I'd wait and find another one. In your area, check out Open Road Acura in New Brunswick, Acura of Ocean (where I got mine), Elite Acura and Precision Acura. Service at Precision and Ocean is outstanding. Never negotiated with Precision, but they tend to start out very high relative to the others. Open road is hurting , they send me e-mails constantly.

Oh year, it needs premium fuel or you are going to hear pinging. I've noticed a difference between 89 and 93. It's not that much more per tank if you figure that you are drving a $40k+ car.

Good luck!
Old 08-23-2008, 02:35 PM
05 slate grey e500 AMG sp

But he would be driving a car in the low $22k range which can make the added cost f premiom a bigger penalty. Which is a problem of fastly depreciating luxury cars it makes the entrance price comparable to an Accord or Camry, but maintenance & repairs are so much higher on lux brands. I just paid $31,000 for an E500, but I am expecting to pay much more on maintenance. Thankfully it is CPO iof 3 more yrs.
Old 08-23-2008, 03:15 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It costs $3.00 more to fill up with Premium (20 cents x 15 gallons). If you're that bad off for money better skip car ownership and walk.

Originally Posted by ssim3
But he would be driving a car in the low $22k range which can make the added cost f premiom a bigger penalty. Which is a problem of fastly depreciating luxury cars it makes the entrance price comparable to an Accord or Camry, but maintenance & repairs are so much higher on lux brands. I just paid $31,000 for an E500, but I am expecting to pay much more on maintenance. Thankfully it is CPO iof 3 more yrs.
Old 08-23-2008, 03:21 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
I would stay away unless you can it inspected, but why spend the $ unless it is a great deal and you are willing gamble with the inspection $. But if the primary structure of the car was damaged, I would stay away. You may be able to tell by seeing how the car is finished inside the engine bay after you remove the shrouds. They usually don't bother to clear coat the parts that don't show, and you may be able to see differences in the welds and adhesive application. If they had to weld, I would be very careful. The robot welders can do a weld every inch, but body shops have been known to do them every 8-12 inches depending on where it is.

Just my two cents
Old 08-23-2008, 11:52 PM
6th Gear

All, thanks for your input on this, really helpful stuff. I think I will hold off on this 'wrecked' RL and just look for a similar or better deal on a completely clean car.

As far as premium gas goes, I don't think it's a big issue at all. Like CL6 pointed out the difference is minimal, so I think the quality and feature of the RL are well worth it.

rlerman, thanks for your input on dealers in my area, will definitely check them out.

dhag8, did 25,900 include all fees and taxes?