OnStar

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 01:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Oh a 2nd gen RL is in the future... i'm just waiting for the depreciation to kick in some more
Old 11-24-2007, 01:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
A lot of people agree with you that OnStar isn't a big deal--it's likely why Acura pulled it from its lineup. At least you can use the power tap for the built-in cell phone for something really useful, like a hardwired radar detector.

I didn't know you just got your 1G RL, Ken, my bad. Congrats, she'll last you hundreds of thousands of miles.
Old 11-24-2007, 08:41 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
A lot of people agree with you that OnStar isn't a big deal--it's likely why Acura pulled it from its lineup. At least you can use the power tap for the built-in cell phone for something really useful, like a hardwired radar detector.

I didn't know you just got your 1G RL, Ken, my bad. Congrats, she'll last you hundreds of thousands of miles.
I recently had an opportunity to really use the OnStar in my '05...and not just to call a hound dog owner late one night after finding his hunting dog in my front pasture. I recently had to make a 325 mile trip with 7 stops to obtain signatures on legal documents...took 11 hours. I was out of range for my ATT/Cingular for much of the trip, but OnStar through Verizon worked perfectly. OnStar used with the NAV was indispensable.

On this site, I'm one of the few fans of OnStar, but it's one of the reasons I'm keeping the '05 which has otherwise caused a lot of heartache for me because of the poor service I've gotten so far.

OnStar works.
Old 11-24-2007, 08:51 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bluemule
I recently had an opportunity to really use the OnStar in my '05...and not just to call a hound dog owner late one night after finding his hunting dog in my front pasture. I recently had to make a 325 mile trip with 7 stops to obtain signatures on legal documents...took 11 hours. I was out of range for my ATT/Cingular for much of the trip, but OnStar through Verizon worked perfectly. OnStar used with the NAV was indispensable.

On this site, I'm one of the few fans of OnStar, but it's one of the reasons I'm keeping the '05 which has otherwise caused a lot of heartache for me because of the poor service I've gotten so far.

OnStar works.
Further, I continue to do much of my driving after dark in rural areas and appreciate the extra insurace afforded by OnStar with the onset of hunting season which is driving the deer out of the woods and into the roads.

it's a shame Acura doesn't at least offer OnStar as an option for those of us who need and appreciate the extra protection afforded by the service.
..particularly since the RL is still wired for it.
Old 11-24-2007, 09:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by bluemule

OnStar works.
I keep OnStar for one primary reason: vehicle recovery, as noted many posts above. Even with its limitations in that regard, it's better than nothing, less expensive than LoJack, and comes with the car.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
OnStar is owned by GM. It costs them a couple of hundred dollars to put the system in cars. The "free" year we got was included in the price of the car. OnStar pre-paid calling was a great idea prior to the boom in cellphones. However, the $200 is a small price to pay for the sense of security OnStar gives you. I called OnStar last winter when we were at WDW and couldn't find our car (white RL among a thousand other white cars) and a thunderstorm was approaching. In less than 2 minutes the agent had the horn blowing and the lights flashing and we found the car in seconds. BTW, if you have Verizon service you can use your minutes on OnStar.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:32 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've got an 05 and I never renewed my OnStar, but if my car is stolen can I then reactivate it to help recover the car, then only pay for the current year?