Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 12:52 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,007 Likes on 1,426 Posts
Offical csmeance Review of the 2009 RL

First of all, yes, i copied your title neuronbob, its simple and works

Now to the review:

Exterior at first glance:
I got to acura and went into the showroom floor where there was a redondo red RL CMBS with parchment interior. I walked around the car and took a quick look at it.

The rim's flowed with the car very well in my opinion, and the 18 standard made the wheel gap look less. The tail-lights were pretty clever, it was a clear lense with frosted covers over the red lighting to distribute the light very well, and as well stylish.

The rear of the car was ok in my opinion, the CSL style trunk looked a bit odd at first, but then I looked again and it flowed well, the chrome strip on the trunk didn't bother me, but those reverse lights did. Upon closer inspection, they were stamped on the inside, made in japan... which sort of looked pretty cheap in my opinion.

The side profile of the car looked pretty good, since there was no more chrome on the front bumper and rear, it was moved to the side still, which was clever, but somewhat stupid. They look great there and remind me of the TL-S lip kit from ronjon, but their placement sucks. When getting in, your feet are bound to rub against them and scratch them. The chrome under door handles were a nice touch to complement the strip at the bottom, and they looked great.

The front of the car was entirely different from what I expected. In the photos, it looked hideous, but in person, it looked good, not as good as the TSX but good. It was aggressive but subtle as well. The fog lights did look a bit out of place, but with an A-Spec kit in the future, they will probably look better.

Overall on the exterior, the fit and finish was great, no misalignments, the paint had 0, yes 0 orange peel, it was smooth as glass and there were no defects in it. Everything felt solid on the exterior, and nothing felt cheap, but the rear lights with MADE IN JAPAN stamped on it did kill it.

The interior:

At first glance, the interior looked almost the same, the standard wood wheel and shifter caught my attention, along with the extra wood. I noticed quickly that the leather on the new RL seats seemed a bit more rough at first touch, and as well the stitching was purposly done to add extra leather causing small folds, for more of that luxury look. Personally, I didn't like that, but I soon found their purpose.

I sat in the captains chair and was greeted by one of the most comfortable seats I had but my royal buttock in. The chair felt amazing, the seat didn't have crazy bolstering on it, and it felt I was till tucked in, but comfortably. The folds in the leather stretched out to be fully open and probably conformed to my butt instantly, making a comfortable seat from the start.

Moving on from the captains chair, I looked at the dash. As I said before, the additional wood on the center console, shifter and wheel looked very good. It didn't look that fake, and had a nice luster to it. Taking a hold of the wheel, I noticed that it suffered from one problem, rough stitching that plagued the MDX.

The wheel felt nice and firm, and then looking up, the gauges were lit, welcoming me. The gauges looked different from the older RL, upon closer inspection, a better resolution MID and also some raised details in the cluster added subtle improvements to it. Personally, I think that the RL had one of the best gauges in a car under 60K that I had seen.

I moved my eyes to the center stack, and saw almost nothing changed, except the dual button was missing, and pointless to move as I'll explain later. The additional wood at the bottom was good looking but looked a bit more fake versus the one on the dash. The cupholders were the same as the old RL, but the armrest was different. It had leather coverings on them with smooth stitching on the sides, and as well very comfortable padding underneath it. Opening it, it felt firm and solid, me likey.

Just to add, when I closed the driver door, I saw myself not grabbing the armrest, but that little pocket on the door behind the window buttons. I reopened the door and closed via the armrest, which no felt awkward. I think that was one good change, and when I did rest my arm there, it didn't feel like it was there.

I got out and opened the rear door, if felt heavy and solid, just to check, I closed the front door and it felt solid as well. Also it had a nice soft clunk when closing it that a hollow door DOESN'T make. Back to subject, I looked at the rear seats and noticed the extended seats in the rear, they didn't look that great, but had very good function. I sat in the rear seat, and it was as comfortable as the captains chair. The extra leg support felt great, and the seat back was at a perfect angle.

I got out and opened the trunk, the feel of the handle was not the best, but it did feel firm. When the trunk opened, I saw a light on the lid rather than under the liner in the trunk, which was pretty good in my opinion. The trunk did look big, but it was smaller than the one in my TL from just looks. I looked under the rear-shelf and saw that it was covered, along with the DVD drive (in a hard carpeted case), but there was a hole for the sub-woofer, which did look unsightly, but did have a function.

I close the trunk and took notice of the covered springs, good in my opinion. The trunk closed, but to a little bit of force to get latched. Overall, I think it was pretty good, but now for the best part, playing with the car ON!

I went to my buddy and got the keys to a Gregio grey RL Tech that was outside. I went to it and turned it on. Starting the car, a nice rumble was heard, like that of the TL, but more clear and refined. I adjusted my seat, which was quite easy and was welcomed with amazing comfort as well. The next thing I did was put the seat on MAX cool, which was pretty interesting. When you first push the button, it puts it on max. I didn't feel a breeze on my butt, but the leather did start to feel cool. I played around with the navigation system for a few minutes and it was like the one the TSX had, it was refined and had much more color to it, it also looked like the screen had better resolution. The buttons had a nice feel to them, not cheap at all.

Now I had my friend get in and we went for a drive. I put the car in gear, and with the straight shifter, if felt very natural, and as well it was very smooth, there was no catching to say in it. With the car in reverse, the backup camera came on and well, it sucked. It was pointed so low, that I could see more of the bumper than the street.

I brushed it off and looked back, the rear windows had a nice view to them and there was not much of a blind spot. I put the car in drive and put it straight into S mode. Leaving the lot, the car kept first gear until I pushed it up, a nice thing about the SS mode. I got out onto the street and used the paddle to get to 3rd gear, not revving over 2.5K. The car had excellent acceleration at low speeds, unlike my MDX. I must add, that the paddles were very quick to react, about 5 times faster than the old RL and about twice as fast as the TL-S. They were very good, me likey. The car was pin drop silent on the road, and it drove smoothly over rough, orlando roads. It was like driving on glass.

We soon got to a red light and I pressed on the brakes lightly, the grip they had was amazing, I would say better than my TL and MDX. The brakes didn't suck you in like they do on the TL, but they didn't reject you either. It felt great and amazing. I took it to the I-4 Onramp which was a deep curve rated for 25 MPH, well being on a test drive, I entered it doing around 50 and the RL took it like a champ, the car had some lean, but not much. It felt firmly planted and just to add, it was raining too.

On the highway, there was road noise, but not much of it. A semi that was behind my in my lane tried to pass and had it's motor in the lowest gear, only a tenth of the noise got into the cabin. As I said before, the buttons for cruise control felt nice and sturdy, and also there was a nice notification in the MID instead of more stupid lights. The car was still buttery smooth and it felt great.

We took the next exit and the car was amazing. At the next light, I took a turn at about 30MPH, not a squeek from the tires, and as well, the steering stayed easy to move. Mind you, the roads were still wet and it was still drizzling.

I took another right turn onto a straight road and put the car in D, the shifts were buttery smooth and unnoticeable. I must say, on this road, it felt like a nice big car, but taking that turn, it felt like a small TSX, nimble on it's feet, but not begging to be thrown around.

Finally on a straight road, I used the Temp up button to raise the Temp to 73 and it was very well placed. But the stupid thing was that DUAL mode as on, and there was no button to turn it off. I pushed the A/C button and there was no option on there either. I quickly gave up on it and just drove, letting my passenger figure it out.

We soon turned right again to get on to the main road and when over one of those decorative brick roads, and the ride got slightly interrupted, but it was very smooth, light years ahead of my TL.

We got to a light and I turned on the radio, it was on XM and a song by miley cirus was playing, I really didn't care for it, but it did highlight the greatness of the audio, there was a bit more low end punch to the system than the 05 I drove before, the audio was very clean, it had no distortion to it. I turned it off and the light changed green. Feeling a bit sport, I punched it and surpisingly, VSA engaged. I didn't feel any spin, and I didn't feel the VSA system engage, but I saw the light blinking and felt the car slow down. I would say that it was refined just like the car. I made the final left turn onto the dealership lane and drove about .5 mile in city traffic. The car felt great and quiet. We turned in and once again, I say that the steering was smooth, it went where you pointed it and the RWD bias over the MDX and older RL was evident. I forgot to mention, it was also evident in the curve as well.

I also noticed during this drive, no extra vibrations were present and no rattles as well. The seat coolers kept my seat very comfortable, and unknowingly, my passenger has changed the speed from max to min (I asked him) and the seat was still cool, not warm like when I get out of my MDX.

I pulled into the covered area and turned the car off, the steering moved pretty far in and the door was easy to open. I got out and for some reason opened the trunk. When I opened it, there was no water falling it, YAY! My TL has been plagued by this, the water channel was not big enough, but on the RL, it was more than enough to drain the water off the trunk. I closed it and walked to the door and locked it via the small dimple. There was a nice soft beep and we walked into the dealership.

I would say that this car drove nothing like the TL, MDX, RDX or TSX. It was refined, yet sporty. It was comfortable beyond reason, and easy to use except for that stupid dual button.

My final opinion of the car, if you are looking for a great car in the RL segment, the RL is one of the top competitors and will wanting you to buy it. The car is wonderful and would be a hit, but only if acura could have better photographers (look at the MDX on the acura site, it sucks nuts, but in person looks great).

Just to add, if you have an 05-08 RL, you won't find the 09 much different, but if you are upgrading from another car like the TL, you will love it.

I think this should be good, but if you have any questions post em, I spent over 2 hours looking at the car!
Old 07-09-2008, 05:26 AM
07 RL (non-tech)w/06 Nav

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
enjoyed your write up and details of your trip on this test drive
Old 07-09-2008, 10:53 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I see I've started a trend......

csmeance, you drive a TL.... Your review describes what it's feels like to move up to the RL. Thanks for your comments.

I'm afraid we are all getting used to the nose. Sorry, Tampa....
Old 07-09-2008, 12:14 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Great review. Thanks.
So I guess the dual temp is now a voice command? What did they do with the real estate?
Old 07-09-2008, 12:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Chas2
Great review. Thanks.
So I guess the dual temp is now a voice command? What did they do with the real estate?
I don't even know if it's only a voice command, I'll check the owners manuals to see if what the deal is. As for that real estate, not sure.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:49 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Snap!

Did not think of that.

Dual has been replaced by a Mode Control button, that presumably allows you to toggle through different vent modes, e.g., dash, bi-level, floor, floor and defrost. There also seems to be a way now to control both passenger and driver vents individually, e.g., driver can have air all from vent, passenger can select floor and vent.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:51 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As we knew, great car once people drive it and know about it, great car that no one knows about. So be it. Sales will still be the same as current.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:28 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by neuronbob

No need to apologize Bob. For those who like it, I hope they enjoy the ride. I do not like it (is hate too strong a word?). But just because I do not like it does not mean I don't want others enjoy the 09 RL. We all have our tastes.

I do remember you once had a pitchfork in one hand and a torch in the other. We were to journey to Torrance and demand what for.

But turning 40 seems to have made your vision blurry and sophisticated sense of taste wither. Soon you will wear trousers with elastic waistebands hiked above your navel.

And now this. Softening to the bastardization of mobile art.

Surrender your MANcard!

wuss.

*still bitter*
Old 07-09-2008, 07:37 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Interesting - and thorough - review.

One good thing about these write-ups is that different people notice different things.

I've tried twice now to get over to my dealer for a test run, but other things have intervened. I won't add my review to the others, since most everything has been touched on, but I want to get my own impressions.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:10 AM
Indian Acura Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TampaRL
No need to apologize Bob. For those who like it, I hope they enjoy the ride. I do not like it (is hate too strong a word?). But just because I do not like it does not mean I don't want others enjoy the 09 RL. We all have our tastes.

I do remember you once had a pitchfork in one hand and a torch in the other. We were to journey to Torrance and demand what for.

But turning 40 seems to have made your vision blurry and sophisticated sense of taste wither. Soon you will wear trousers with elastic waistebands hiked above your navel.

And now this. Softening to the bastardization of mobile art.

Surrender your MANcard!

wuss.

*still bitter*

Lmao. This is hilarious.

I was hoping to get my review in as well, or at least my impressions, however the Ottawa Acura dealer doesn't seem to have any RL's in, it's not on the website, and no one really gave me a straight answer as to when they're supposed to be there. And i was there three times for my TL and my EL.
Old 07-10-2008, 01:06 PM
Racer

I may have been in a minority who thought the temperature controls were just fine. I actually liked the dual mode on the dash as a button. Otherwise I keep the system in full auto 99% of the time and only accessed the "climate" screen a handful of times in the last 3 years. I'm still trying to make it down to the dealer for a test run. Thanks for the thorough review!!
Old 07-10-2008, 01:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by DoctorTuna
I may have been in a minority who thought the temperature controls were just fine. I actually liked the dual mode on the dash as a button. Otherwise I keep the system in full auto 99% of the time and only accessed the "climate" screen a handful of times in the last 3 years. I'm still trying to make it down to the dealer for a test run. Thanks for the thorough review!!
I think the general consensus is that the dual button was great on the old RL, including me. The new system seemed a bit odd... but i guess they had to put it there since the dual mode can also differ air flow to different vents...
Old 07-10-2008, 02:03 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Originally Posted by DoctorTuna
I too like the dual zone climate toggles. I tend to keep the A/C set to 'Cryogenic Freeze' and it was easier for a passenger to simply flip the toggle to a more earthly temp for the passenger.

The 'difficulty' people had with the sub menus on the RL boggles my mind. There in redundancies everywhere. Voice, console buttons, interface dial, steering wheel controls, etc. etc. If you want 1000+ features you have to expect some learning curve. I never rent a car without take a feww minutes to familarize myself with the operation of vehicle and amenities.

People who want to get in and drive a strange car cannot expect to know every detail immediately...and if they do so, are likely unsafe drivers.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:07 PM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong on this - The majority of the time, you use the Dual Mode button to take it out of individual driver/passenger modes and back into driver control of both. If the passenger changes their own temperature it puts it into individual control without having to hit the Dual button first.
I do find it useful if I am in the car alone after passenger has previously changed their own temp. I wonder if the hitting the Auto button on the 09 would put it back into full driver control? I would hate to have to go thru several screens just to put both controls back in sync (driver control).
Old 07-10-2008, 02:53 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by getakey
Correct me if I am wrong on this - The majority of the time, you use the Dual Mode button to take it out of individual driver/passenger modes and back into driver control of both. If the passenger changes their own temperature it puts it into individual control without having to hit the Dual button first.
I do find it useful if I am in the car alone after passenger has previously changed their own temp. I wonder if the hitting the Auto button on the 09 would put it back into full driver control? I would hate to have to go thru several screens just to put both controls back in sync (driver control).
The only time it is in dual mode is when my wife and I take the RL and she always likes it 4-5 degrees higher. If I'm not mistaken, as soon as she operates her temperature toggle to change her temperature it automatically goes into Dual mode and the light on the switch comes on. We then both control our temperatures separately, 69 for me 74 for her. When I get in the car the next day, I basically hit the Dual button to turn it off and the passenger temperature then reverts from 74 back to 69. From there, everytime I change the temperature with my toggle, the passenger side changes in tandem. It really is a very intuitive system and fail to see why it needed to be changed. I guess through their marketing research enough people complained about it?
Old 07-10-2008, 03:05 PM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
Tuna - exactly what I was trying to say. The Dual Mode button is the quick way to get it out of Dual mode not into Dual mode. I sure hope there is still such a method in the 09 or I won't be buying one
Old 07-10-2008, 05:13 PM
Alpha Geek

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob

BZZZZT! Wrong!

Stopped by my local dealer on the way home from work as I saw an 09 RL out front. I spent about 10 minutes looking at the car(dark grey) from every angle.

I hate the front fascia even nore now, it ruins the lines of the car and makes the front end look like a battering ram. I don't like the wheels either. Nor the new side chrome, but that's just my own taste...I hate chrome.

I like the rear design, though, even it looks like a direct 7 series copy from a few years ago.

I'll be waiting for the new TL or for the 2010 RL.
Old 07-11-2008, 08:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Now I didn't say I liked it, I said I was getting used to it.

The new TL.....it's gonna take some time for that to grow on me as well.