No heat with extras!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 12:47 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No heat with extras!

Hey guys I have a 2006 RL non-tech with 106k miles. A few days ago I noticed on the way home that the ac had quit working. I replaced the field coil on the compressor not 6 months ago and had never had another problem with it. When I got home and started to head somewhere else I hit the auto button and everything worked like it should. Well last night I noticed that now the heat doesn't get warm at all...it's either whatever temp comes in from outside or cold with the ac running. Also its stuck on blowing air into your face, if you change the mode it still blows in your face. The defroster also just blows into your face instead of up the windshield. All the climate control readouts and everything read exactly as they always have when it was working. I wouldn't think this is relevant but at the same time as this the little light under the the drivers side temp. rocker switch has went out. I did replace the car battery about 2 weeks ago that had been dying a slow death in the past month or two, but nothing else has been done to the car. An ideas to try or ideas or what this could be would be great. Thanks!
Old 11-11-2012, 08:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,247 Likes on 4,858 Posts
My vote is on the heater sub-assembly. Part 17: http://www.oemacuraparts.com/parts-c...el/heater-unit

It sounds like your blower is fine because you have air flow. This unit should be what controls where the air flows and what temp it is.

Good luck. Keep us posted.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:59 AM
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
it could be a few different things,

no heat only could be the water valve not letting hot coolant into the radiator of HVAC unit, but since you're saying that you select different modes but they physically don't change, it could be your HVAC control unit not doing the specified actions (like opening water valve), OR HVAC main unit that has something stuck leading to the interior flaps not able to move (thus not able to blow air into different positions and not able to get blown air through heating radiator)
Old 11-12-2012, 11:56 AM
Senior Moderator

OP, heater sub-assembly = HVAC unit. I just used what the catalog calls it.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:14 PM
Intermediate

Hey guys, thanks for the replies. I am just now getting back on the forums and everything on the car is still the same. If it is indeed the heater sub-assembly is this something that a guy with average skills could do himself or would this best be left to the dealer. I will be getting rid of this car asap so I am hoping to dump as little money into it as I possibly can. Does it not seem odd that it all the sudden fails without warning? Could it have something to do with changing the battery? Normally I would think that was a stupid question but when my car was about a month old--both side mirrors stopped working, the auto-headlights died, and a couple small things quit. My neighbor is a Lexus tech and I had him check it out...he disconnected the battery to check it and when he reconnected it everything started working and never had that problem again. What's the chances I could tap #17 to get it going long enough to make it to the dealership to trade? :-)
Old 11-13-2012, 01:21 PM
Senior Moderator

It is possible that a hard reset could get the system out of whatever state it is in. However, I think it is unlikely.

To try, disconnect both battery terminal cables. Hold the cables together for a minute. Put them back on and try the heater again.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:52 AM
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
before ordering the HVAC unit, you need to have a diagnostic performed to know the true cause.

because you will need to take the complete dash out of the car to replace HVAC main unit !

so a proper diagnostic with Honda HDS scan to see if there are fault codes in the HVAC control unit. (replacing HVAC control unit takes a few minutes compared to HVAC main unit= a few hours)
Old 11-14-2012, 08:11 PM
Intermediate

Another quick question for you guys. I just thought about it but when I replaced the field coil about a year ago I remember going through a diagnostic screen on the navigation that had a self-test for the climate control. I don't remember much about it but I remember I got the steps from a forum online and also that's where I got a write-up to do the field coil. I did follow the steps and got into the screen but it said everything was normal....supposedly it doesn't pick up a dead field coil. Anyone have any idea the diagnostic screen that I am talking about? I was just curious if maybe it would give me more info into what is going on. I don't drive the car very often so I am really not in a huge hurry on getting this taken care of. Thanks a lot for the help guys!!