Newbie needs RL Upgrade Insight

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 06:17 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie needs RL Upgrade Insight

I'm shopping used cars. It has come down to 07/08 TL Type-S or RL. My days of trying to transform sedans into sports cars ala HP increases, springs, etc, are *mostly* behind me. The Type-S has a bit too harsh of a ride for my tastes but the RL had too much body roll for my tastes. Acutally the 05/06 TL A-Spec is an option but a little too underpowered for my tastes but suspension is perfect.

If I get an RL, and I want to dump as little money as possible, what is the best bang for the buck for a) little sportier handling, and *maybe* b) a little more HP?

My guess is CAI for a little more HP and a beefier rear sway bar. If I'm right, what am I looking at as far as costs. I know I can install CAI myself even though my DIY days are long behind me so I'd just have to have the sway bar installed. Wish the RL wasn't so bland looking but putting larger wheels and body kit, I'll be getting into expenditure totals I don't want to plus upgrades hold very little value when reselling so I'm looking for best bang for the buck.

I suppose other option is to put softer or adjustable shocks on the Type-S. I also don't like how firm the seats are on the TL's. I can't remember honestly if the RL was much better as it has been a month or so since I test drove one.

Thanks
Old 06-03-2010, 06:47 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The RL is quite the sleeper, which definitely has its upside. 18" wheels can be a nice upgrade from an aesthetic and performance standpoint (plus the tire selection in the 18" size is much much better than the 17". Most people consider the A-Spec suspension as the best bang for buck performance upgrade on the RL. A rear sway bar upgrade is also a good value.

The RL has ample power, but you'll want to use the paddles to keep it in the right gear when you need the revs (the slushbox is a bit sluggish when left to its own devices).
Old 06-03-2010, 10:26 PM
Safety Car

Received 88 Likes on 79 Posts
the best bang for the buck suspension wise is the H&R springs, $250 or so and they drop the car 1.5"/1.4" and give it a much sportier character.

Horsepower wise the AEM CAI can be purhcased on TireRack. For easier upgrade you can get get the filter replaced with a performance filter for under $50 from K&N.

Stock wheels are heavy, you can move to lighter wheels in 18" which seems to be optimal cost wise.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:05 PM
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
does an AEM really give the car any more power? i woudl think it adds a ricey sound and gives you no real power... maybe you pick up a VERY small amouint at ultra high rpm... at the expense of hearing hte intake sucking all the time... on a ricer it's probably fun, on an RL I would think the intake sucking is not what your eally want to hear...

i'd vote for wheels/tires/suspension, and leave the motor/intake/exhaust alone.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:47 AM
Safety Car

Ricer? I don't know about that. My takeda added some real character. Quiet at low rpm, and angry at high.

You tell me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70rWyM87SsY
Old 06-04-2010, 09:39 AM
Intermediate

Well my experience with CAIs is just that, they add no noise at normal driving, only a bit more sound when you stop on it, but the engine makes more sound when you stop on it anyway. I think only cars like a Lexus are whisper quiet even when you stop on it. If it made the car louder for everyday driving under low to moderate acceleration, I don't think it is a good addition to a car in this segment as these cars are suppose to be quiet.

Well I'm on the fence about getting an RL. I thought I had made up my mind on an 07/08 TL Type-S but after a second extended test drive for an hour in one yesterday, I just hated the seats compared to my Volvo. My Volvo seats are softer and the bottoms extend out all the way to my knees. The Acura is hard, combined with the stiff suspension, just seems uncomfortable to me and I always feel like I need to keep scooting back in the seats. I can't remember how the RL seats compare. If they are a little softer and larger length wise, that may seal the deal for me. Plus you can actually get one for the same price as a Type-S with same mileage. OUCH on the depreciation on the RL, but the other Luxury cars like Lexus LS are no different, economy really clobbered the resale value on cars like this.

I just don't know if I can live with the underwhelming power coming from a 3,600 lbs, 330HP AWD S60R Sedan. I got a couple tickets lately so I'm retiring from the fast driving, but passing on a highway on road trips, I know I will definitely miss the power from a safety aspect.

Problem is, if Acura is same as it was when I had a 02 Type-S, there really isn't a good bang for the buck mod for HP increase. CAI for $200-$300 get's you maybe 2% (5-6 HP). Cat-back exhaust gets you maybe 5-8%? Headers, 6-8%. The best bang for the buck has always been computer programming. For $900, took my Volvo from 300 to 330 (10% gain) and if I put 96 octane gas in it at the track and reset the fuse, it goes to 354. Weee!

The RL in my opinion could really use about 10% or 30 more HP, but I wouldn't spend more than $1000 to get that, including installation. I think maybe just get used 18" wheels, H&R springs, a rear sway bar, and a high-flo air filter and then just acknowledge I'm going more luxury than sport this time is the only way. But if I run into rattles and other annoyances, I will hate the car.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:35 AM
Banned

Received 113 Likes on 91 Posts
Originally Posted by consultant1027
Well my experience with CAIs is just that, they add no noise at normal driving, only a bit more sound when you stop on it, but the engine makes more sound when you stop on it anyway. I think only cars like a Lexus are whisper quiet even when you stop on it. If it made the car louder for everyday driving under low to moderate acceleration, I don't think it is a good addition to a car in this segment as these cars are suppose to be quiet.

Well I'm on the fence about getting an RL. I thought I had made up my mind on an 07/08 TL Type-S but after a second extended test drive for an hour in one yesterday, I just hated the seats compared to my Volvo. My Volvo seats are softer and the bottoms extend out all the way to my knees. The Acura is hard, combined with the stiff suspension, just seems uncomfortable to me and I always feel like I need to keep scooting back in the seats. I can't remember how the RL seats compare. If they are a little softer and larger length wise, that may seal the deal for me. Plus you can actually get one for the same price as a Type-S with same mileage. OUCH on the depreciation on the RL, but the other Luxury cars like Lexus LS are no different, economy really clobbered the resale value on cars like this.

I just don't know if I can live with the underwhelming power coming from a 3,600 lbs, 330HP AWD S60R Sedan. I got a couple tickets lately so I'm retiring from the fast driving, but passing on a highway on road trips, I know I will definitely miss the power from a safety aspect.

Problem is, if Acura is same as it was when I had a 02 Type-S, there really isn't a good bang for the buck mod for HP increase. CAI for $200-$300 get's you maybe 2% (5-6 HP). Cat-back exhaust gets you maybe 5-8%? Headers, 6-8%. The best bang for the buck has always been computer programming. For $900, took my Volvo from 300 to 330 (10% gain) and if I put 96 octane gas in it at the track and reset the fuse, it goes to 354. Weee!

The RL in my opinion could really use about 10% or 30 more HP, but I wouldn't spend more than $1000 to get that, including installation. I think maybe just get used 18" wheels, H&R springs, a rear sway bar, and a high-flo air filter and then just acknowledge I'm going more luxury than sport this time is the only way. But if I run into rattles and other annoyances, I will hate the car.
No good bang for buck install on your 02 TL-S? Comptech headers gained 30hp by themselves. Megan Racing and DC Sports which are half the price gained 20-25hp. But I'll digress as thats the past. This would be what I'd do:

Get 07/08 RL... To make the ride a tad firmer than stock, add the 09/10 RL's larger rear sway bar. The Takeda intake the fellow member mentioned he had on his car gains 13hp/13tq (dyno vid is on Takeda site) $230.00 and do J-pipe which lists $3xx.xx (gains almost 15hp) and later adding a catback exhaust gains another 9-12hp on the J37. There is you 30-45hp for about $1500.00. In the end you'll have a soft but responsive ride plus the power you desire. Btw the RL seats aren't nearly as firm as Type-S (non-Type-S). Is there a freeway you could take the RL for a drive on in your area close to dealer?
Old 06-04-2010, 11:35 AM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by ParaSurfer1979
To make the ride a tad firmer than stock, add the 09/10 RL's larger rear sway bar.
Probably will need a bit more than sway bar to firm up the ride. Sure it will help in tight corners. Of course that's probably where you are more concerned about firm than anywhere else.

A-Spec or H&R springs maybe?
Old 06-04-2010, 12:15 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
RL has the best seats and headrest on my life....it's definitely a different ride because you can feel the weight in it, but I must say of the competitors the RL is the best choice overall, you just have to make sure you get one that was taken care otherwise matienance is relatively low but if a larger issue arises it can be expensive, that is with any car though............good luck on your decision
Old 06-04-2010, 04:40 PM
Intermediate

I don't really want to firm the ride that much, just reduce body roll. The ride is already firm as far as luxury sedans go.

There's actually not a whole lot of wheel/fender gap on this car so although lowering springs would give it a better stance and firmer ride, I think if I went for it I'd pass on lowering it and just get bigger wheels. The profile on the 17" wheels is HUGE as far as todays sport sedan standards. Going 18" would be better but not really help that much. Looking at the size of those tires, I'd say 19" would be perfect. I've got a knack for choosing the right wheel/tire sizes on cars, never looks to ricey. It could handle 20" no problem with the amount of tire profile you have to work with from stock, but that would be a little too ricey/ghetto looking on this type of car in my opinion.

A tuner recommended a new crank pulley for $200 some off dollars, said it would give it 6-7 more HP at the crank with 1 to 1.5 hrs install time. That combined with a CAI should get me close to 15 more HP for about $500 installed. That is not too bad at $33/HP but 15 is not a lot, barely noticeable.

Another tuner recommended ECU reprogram which I'm filler with, basically advances the timing, remaps throttle repsonse and alters air/fuel ratio and has VTEC kick in earlier I believe. But I haven't seen anyone advertising this service. I remember I did it on my Prelude Si and had to overnight the ECU box and got it back in 2 days. Great bang for the buck. I don't care about exhaust appearance and sound so exhaust is not a good value, I'd do headers before exhaust.

Tuner also said taking the catalytic converter out is a great bang for the buck. I imagine any muffler shop could do that. Wonder if it would cause emissions problems. Glad I'm not in Cali.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:26 PM
Safety Car

I have the UR pulley and SRI installed on my car. I cannot honestly say I felt any power difference.

as for as the tuner...I wouldn't mind going to one to fix up some lame shifting habits from my car.

I have to dump it to S mode for any slow moving/traffic situations cause it keps bouncing between gears.