New Year, New Car......RL?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 11:52 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Year, New Car......RL?

So, come the first of the year, I'm considering a new car purchase. After 10 years, I need something to give my 2001 Saab a rest. I've been considering a pre-owned mid-sized sedan like a 2011-12 A6, S80, or E350. However, I happened to think about an RL again after seeing a few weeks ago, for the first time in a while. I love the previous mentioned cars, but after owning the Saab all these years, I'm tired of high maintenance cost, so I'm a little scared of going with another European car. The E has always been my first choice, but there is something about the relative exclusivity of the RL that I like. Plus the AWD. I wanted my next car the have AWD, hence the three choices. I'm probably one of the few people who think the facelifted model looks as good as the original design, but in a different way, though I hate the 2011-2012 wheels. They would be changed. This might be weird, but I think the ZDX wheels whould look good on this car, lowered a bit.....I'm rambling on....... All this to ask.....are there any major issues to be mindful of with an RL purchase? Would you say maintenance cost is lower than a comparable European car? I would be going for a 2011-12 since it has the 6 speed. I read a review that stated the nav, and tech was dated. This that an issue for owners? From what I've seen, RL's have everything I would possibly want in a car, and way more features than affordable E classes. I'm just worried that the slow sales of new models will make it difficult to find one come time to buy. I took a causal glace at cars.com and only found about 25 in the whole country, and non of them were that dark burgundy, which I love. Thanks for any info
Old 12-25-2014, 09:13 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 209 Likes on 168 Posts
Welcome to this board! You'll find it a very useful resource.

Most of the people here love our RL's. Yes, it's much more reliable and parts costs are lower than German luxury cars.

The nav and the tech are dated, but they work very well. You just get a lower-resolution, less pretty screen than new models, and some aspects are dated such as the design that takes over some other controls when Bluetooth phone calling is in use. But the systems generally work very well, and most major controls are redundantly supported by manual ones, which modern makers like Cadillac could learn from. The Bluetooth works well, the stereo still sounds great even though its central trick of playing audio DVDs is now essentially useless, and the nav-traffic reports by subscription are still a cutting-edge feature nine years after its introduction.

You will find what you want with a little patience, and at a price that's a steal for what you're getting.

SH-AWD is everything it's cracked up to be. It not only provides the expected traction benefits of AWD in bad weather, but the RL was also the first AWD car to have what's now popularly known as "torque vectoring," which improves handling and reduces understeer on dry roads.

By 2007, most of the car's several initial bugs had been corrected. Observe the normal cautions when buying a used car, and you should get an excellent value that will serve you well for a number of years. Gas mileage sucks, but there's very little else of significance to complain about. Do a thread search of this board and you'll find a lot of other useful information.
Old 12-26-2014, 02:38 AM
Banned

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts
Hey Adam,

I own a 2011 RL Advance; bought in 2013 as a Certified Pre-Owned with 13,000 miles at the time, for $35,000(this was last year). I must say, the nav system is dated, however the controls are easy-to-use. Also, I actually like the wheels, but a wheel swap would be nice. In a few months my RL will be 4 years old. I only have had one problem worth mentioning. The backup sensors one day just stopped working, and the dealer replaced them free of charge. They didn't even charge me labor costs. Other than that, the RL has been problem free. I have buddies that own an Audi A7 and a 2012 E350, they have had more problems than I can name. One of my friends used to own and Audi Q7. He ended up selling the car due to the expense of problems it had. I pay far less to maintain my car than any of my friends with German cars.

The 2011-2012 has been a great for me. It's fast, with 0-60 sprints of 5.9 seconds, and handles well even in 1.5 feet of snow. The car is very quiet at speed, ride quality is excellent. Additionally, thanks to the rear accelerating device(which TL doesn't have), the car handles very well, while having a comfort tuned suspension. The interior is great, using excellent materials: very high quality leather, and real wood on the dash, and you even have cooled seats and sunshades. Plus, if you opt for the Advance package you get power folding side mirrors. The new transmission is great, and very quick to respond, I also really like the new grille. Also CMBS has kept me out of a collsion, twice. ACC is a great highway commute feature to have. I'm one of the few 2011-2012 RL owners on the forum. Do you have any specific question(s)?

Last edited by Terry RL; 12-26-2014 at 02:42 AM.
Old 12-26-2014, 12:31 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks for the replies. I know these cars aren't the most fuel efficient, but I am curious about the average hwy mileage with the six speed?

I really want to take one of these for a spin. The local Acura dealer doesn't have any on the used lot, and the closest 2011 is about 100 miles from me.
Old 12-26-2014, 02:58 PM
Banned

Depending on how you drive. On the Highway you'll be able to get 22-26 MPG. I get about 23 MPG, on 90/10(HWY/City) commute.
Old 12-26-2014, 05:08 PM
Cruisin'

That's not bad mileage for a large V6 AWD car. I know what I meant to ask; any special maintenance with the AWD system?
Old 12-26-2014, 06:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by adam84
That's not bad mileage for a large V6 AWD car. I know what I meant to ask; any special maintenance with the AWD system?
No special maintenance for the AWD system. You just have to change the rear differential fluid every X amount of miles. It's relatively inexpensive. A cool thing about the RL is that it will remind you when all your maintenance must be done.

A full 2011 RL maintenance schedule can be found here:
http://owners.acura.com/service-maintenance/minder?year=2011&model=RL#mid^KB2F5BKW
Old 12-26-2014, 09:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,247 Likes on 4,858 Posts
ZDX Advance 19" wheels on a 2012 with H&R springs. Do it, and I'll buy it from you in a couple of years.
Old 12-27-2014, 07:13 AM
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts
Adam, I am in the same state as you. My last 12 cars have been Acura's. I was putting 40,000 miles a year on them when traveling for work. Sold my 2007 RL three years ago with 170,000 miles and did not have one problem. Currently driving a 2010 RL with 80,000 trouble free miles. Have to admit I am getting itchy for something newer. I was considering a used RLX or new TLX wanting to spend around $38,000. All of the issues they are having however there is no way I would buy one. Transmission problems, suspension problems and corrosion in Acura's new trademark the jewel headlights. I truly believe all of these initial quality issues will turn into dependability problems down the road. I am now looking for a 2012 with the six speed transmission. EPA rating on the highway gives the six speed two more mpg. Just last night got back from driving 500 miles round trip on 95 to Northern Virginia and averaged 27 mpg. Local driving average 17. IMO DO NOT buy a MB, BMW or Audi out of warranty. I have so many friends as Terry RL stated that have had major and numerous problems with those cars. A friend at the gym has a 2008 SL550 with 30,000 miles. Because of the years it is out of warranty and his power steering pump and hydraulic pump just went out within two days of each other at a cost of over $5,000. The nav system I love because yes the graphics might not be the best but is easy to use, does so much and you can use it while driving. This last feature we used twice on our recent trip which was a Godsend. I hate my wife's Lexus nav. You will have to travel some distance to purchase one because there is just not that many available. I had to travel 250 miles to Columbia, SC. You will love the car.

Last edited by FredS; 12-27-2014 at 07:15 AM.
Old 12-27-2014, 10:52 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks FredS for the reply, I glad to see 2 RL's have served you well. I want luxury and a degree of performance, but above all, I need reliability. I would most likely keep this next car for a number of years. A cousin was home over the holidays who owns a Mercedes CL. Awesome car, but what she has put in it for maintenance and repairs over the years is terrifying. Most recently $4k for air suspension, among others. European cars are off the radar for me now.

I had a chance to go to the Acura dealer today. You're right about traveling to get one. The Charlotte dealer said they rarely ever get one, but I gave them my info to call me just in case. I believe there is a 2011 as the Winston Salem Acura dealer right now, but that's the only dealer car I've seen in NC. Hopefully come time, the search wont be too bad.
Old 12-28-2014, 06:29 AM
Racer

Thanks FredS for the reply, I glad to see 2 RL's have served you well. I want luxury and a degree of performance, but above all, I need reliability. I would most likely keep this next car for a number of years. A cousin was home over the holidays who owns a Mercedes CL. Awesome car, but what she has put in it for maintenance and repairs over the years is terrifying. Most recently $4k for air suspension, among others. European cars are off the radar for me now.

I had a chance to go to the Acura dealer today. You're right about traveling to get one. The Charlotte dealer said they rarely ever get one, but I gave them my info to call me just in case. I believe there is a 2011 as the Winston Salem Acura dealer right now, but that's the only dealer car I've seen in NC. Hopefully come time, the search wont be too bad.
Check out this one in Roanoke. It would be under warranty miles and time for three months and 3,000 miles. This would enable you to get an extended warranty. You can buy one from any Acura dealer. I bought one from Bernardi Acura out of Boston that extends it to 100,000 miles for $1,700. I would offer them $24,000 and be firm. They will accept it.

2011 Acura RL 3.7, $25,987 - Cars.com
Old 12-29-2014, 06:49 PM
Cruisin'

That's a pretty good price. I don't want to go above 28k, but If I can get it for less, that would be awesome. I'm not quite ready yet. I'm hoping in about Feb or March, the 2012's will come down some. Even though there's not difference between the 2011 and 2012, I'd like to have the last model year. It seems like most of these cars in the final years were sold in grey, black and white. I really want the burgundy, but beggers, and used car buyer's cant be choosy.
Old 12-30-2014, 06:44 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts
Good luck with the search. I was in a similar situation a little earlier this year looking for a silver '08 w/ Tech and black interior. Ended up settling for one that had taupe interior. Actually, the one I bought was the only silver '08 to show up within 300 miles of my ZIP in the 3+ months that I was actively searching.

An 09-12 RL is a rare sight. Gotta be extra patient to find the right one.
Old 12-30-2014, 11:58 AM
Senior Moderator

2012 is the only year with the Helmholtz resonators in the wheels, so it is different from the 2011.
Old 12-30-2014, 12:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by oo7spy
2012 is the only year with the Helmholtz resonators in the wheels, so it is different from the 2011.
2011 and 2012 RLs have the noise reducing wheels//
Acura | Press Releases Article | Acura.com
The following users liked this post:
oo7spy (12-30-2014)
Old 12-30-2014, 01:31 PM
Senior Moderator

I stand corrected. I am pretty sure there are minor tweaks to the grill between all of the MMC model years, but that change is mostly insignificant.
Old 12-31-2014, 01:00 PM
Cruisin'

I found this 2010 RL not terribly far from work. If I have time Friday, I'm going to take if for a spin to get a feel for the car. I really like RL's on paper, but I want to see If I actually like the way it drives.
2010 Acura RL 3.7RL Tech Pkg. AWD SH Sedan Lenoir, NC 28645
Old 12-31-2014, 05:54 PM
Racer

I found this 2010 RL not terribly far from work. If I have time Friday, I'm going to take if for a spin to get a feel for the car. I really like RL's on paper, but I want to see If I actually like the way it drives.
2010 Acura RL 3.7RL Tech Pkg. AWD SH Sedan Lenoir, NC 28645
You will love it. Until 105,000 miles, the only maintenance will be fluid changes (oil, brake, transmission and differential). At 105,000 the timing belt, water pump, spark plugs and valves will need adjusting. This can set you back about $1,000 but you will be good for another 105,000 miles. I have driven 250,000 miles in a 2007 and my 2010 and still enjoy every trip like it was my first. Don't pay above $21,000. They will take it eventually. There is not a big demand in Lenoir for RL's!!!

Last edited by FredS; 12-31-2014 at 05:57 PM.
Old 12-31-2014, 07:45 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by FredS
You will love it. Until 105,000 miles, the only maintenance will be fluid changes (oil, brake, transmission and differential). At 105,000 the timing belt, water pump, spark plugs and valves will need adjusting. This can set you back about $1,000 but you will be good for another 105,000 miles. I have driven 250,000 miles in a 2007 and my 2010 and still enjoy every trip like it was my first. Don't pay above $21,000. They will take it eventually. There is not a big demand in Lenoir for RL's!!!
Oh I'm not buying this one. I just want to check it out at take it for a drive. I'm not quite ready to buy yet, as I'm still putting back a little for a nice down payment. I really want to get a 2011 or 2012, however the price is really good, and it seems to be very well taken care of. I really don't want a black car. My first car was black and it was hell to keep clean; but it looks like a lot of late model RL were sold in black or grey. I have a garage now, so It might not be too bad. I'm glad to hear the first major service is at 100k miles. This would be my second car, so it would take forever to get to that point.
Old 01-01-2015, 06:32 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by FredS
There is not a big demand in Lenoir for RL's!!!
So, I called the dealership to get their hours tomorrow, and inquired about the RL. It was being sold as I was on the phone. Apparently someone in Lenoir found it irresistible.....lol. I found out this dealer sells quite a few Acuras, and tries to keep RL's in stock since they have people looking for them. I gave them my info to keep a lookout for a 2011-2012 around March.
Old 01-05-2015, 11:02 AM
Cruisin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
To the OP,

I bought a 2011 RL with Tech about 6 months ago and have really enjoyed it. The exclusivity is amazing; I have literally not seen another 2011 or 2012 RL and I am in metro Chicago, tons of cars around. I did see two other RLs which looked to me like 2006 models, and they still look totally badass on the road. The vehicle has a presence.

You have to be diligent with your search for an RL. I found a couple of options I liked at prices I liked but both were several hundred miles away from my location! I ended up buying a 2011 RL with Tech, 70k miles for 22k, two states away from me. This car grows on me every day and the SH-AWD is great right now in winter weather. Best car I have ever driven. No one knows what this car is and how good it is.
Old 01-06-2015, 10:43 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by RLifer
To the OP,

The exclusivity is amazing;
You have to be diligent with your search for an RL.
That's what drew me to the RL. I like driving something you don't see at every stoplight. Plus, like you said, less popular cars tend to look better as they age, since they're less common.
Finding these cars are like finding a four leaf clover. I just wanted to test drive one its hard to find one. (I did find a 2008 at DriveTime locally I'll probably take for a spin. That'll give me a chance to see how they hold up as they age) I'm willing to wait it out. That's what I did with my present car, and I got the exact color and option combo that I would have ordered if bought new. I'm open to any exterior color but White, and I don't really want a black interior, but Ill take it, especially if I find one with the Advance package. My dream combo would be Pomegranate and Seacoast.