New RL owner...first impressions

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 04:15 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New RL owner...first impressions

Yet another long-winded "Just got my RL thread"

My Red/Parchment RL is almost 2 weeks old now...sorry, no pics right now. I love it! This is the first car I've ever owned where there's not even a trace of buyer's remorse. It's just natural to second-guess yourself after a purchase like this, and to try to find faults with the car. I'm trying, but just haven't found anything yet.

Purchase was a breeze. I was surprised at how courteous and professional the dealer personnel were. (I think I was expecting much worse based on previous Acura purchases.) The entire process, from negotiation to drive off, took about 75 minutes. Paid high $42k range. Phoenix-area shoppers, it's Bell Acura at 12th ave & Bell.

I shopped the car against the new IS350, also an amazing car, but for basically the same money, the RL just feels like so much more car. I'd owned a 3-series before, and wanted to move up a class in size and comfort. The IS seems to me like the best in its class, but it's a different class than the RL. With real-world pricing, it's tough to justify $5-$8k more for an M35 or GS300.

Some intitial impressions (randomness follows, some that's been done to death already):
  • The real-time traffic is actually really useful. I've started to trust it now, and saved getting stuck in traffic behind accidents at least twice now.
  • First car I've owned with Bluetooth integration -- that should be required by law on all cars.
  • It's comfortable first, fun second. Can't quite match 530 and M35 for fun-to-drive, though it's no slouch. Feels heavy, because it is. Haven't pushed it hard enough to render a verdict on SH-AWD yet.
  • I love the torque-distribution display. It keeps egging me on..."c'mon, three bars on one wheel!"
  • Audio system is smarter than about anything I've seen elsewhere. The ML system in the IS/GS are very-high quality, but not a smart as the RL.
  • I love having a whole tech package that's really unmatched by any other car short of the new S-class.
  • Nav system is spectacular. Display and interface aren't quite as nice as the IS, and I don't think the rotating knob is a revolution in industrial design. Voice control is awesome, but I often don't want to interrupt a song/radio program for non-essential voice commands. Common tasks should be easier to access without voice.
  • Some Bangle lines in the trunk, but SO much more nicely-resolved than the 7-series' butt.
  • The little blue lights hidden throughout the interior give a nice death-star feel at night. Be sure to set your menu and map color to blue
  • Exterior design is bland, but I rpefer it that way. "Interesting" is usually ugly, or at least uglier (IMHO, of course). The RL's blander than pretty much all of its competition, though I would personally say only the E350 and GS300 are better-looking.
  • Really, really nice leather. Interior wood is pretty, but seems too shiny and a little fake. Nice interior detailing and execution.
  • Back-seat space and comforts are minimal, surprising in a $50k car.
  • I keep finding new and cool things to do with the audio system. Just discovered support for DTS-CD, in addition to DVD-A. I wish it played DVD-Video in park, like the IS does.
  • The keyless entry is very handy. Would be better with a push-button starter.

Enough brain dump for now. Will try to take some pics soon and post them. Redondo Red went from 3rd preference to 1st when I saw on on the lot. Much sharper than in pictures. Cheers!
Old 03-27-2006, 04:39 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for your review! It really helps me, because I'm about 2 weeks away from making the big purchase, and right now the RL is my top choice with the M35 in close second. Though we are also thinking about whether we should just get a TL (a very nice car for the money) and save 10 g's.

I laughed out loud when I read your comment about the torque display egging you on. It would be tempting me too. Though I would have another display in the passenger seat (the scowl on my wife's face) telling me "don't even think about it".
Old 03-27-2006, 05:42 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by redman042
Thanks for your review! It really helps me, because I'm about 2 weeks away from making the big purchase, and right now the RL is my top choice with the M35 in close second. Though we are also thinking about whether we should just get a TL (a very nice car for the money) and save 10 g's.

I laughed out loud when I read your comment about the torque display egging you on. It would be tempting me too. Though I would have another display in the passenger seat (the scowl on my wife's face) telling me "don't even think about it".
Good luck with thedecision..it goes without saying that I can recommend the RL. The M35 is a hell of a car, too, but I just couldn't get past the looks. Entirely personal taste, of course; it just looks too much like the ugly G35 sedan (though the G35 coupe is nice). Throw in the real-world pricing, and the RL is that much more attractive.

Forgot to mention the paddle-shifters, which are surprisingly useful. Having owned mostly manual-transmission cars, and being very active with amateur racing and trackday organizations, I've never been a fan of manually-controlled automatics. But the paddle shifters are kind of fun and pretty useful, especially for freeways and freeway on-ramps.
Old 03-27-2006, 08:51 PM
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by ckennedy
Yet another long-winded "Just got my RL thread"

My Red/Parchment RL is almost 2 weeks old now...sorry, no pics right now. I love it! This is the first car I've ever owned where there's not even a trace of buyer's remorse. It's just natural to second-guess yourself after a purchase like this, and to try to find faults with the car. I'm trying, but just haven't found anything yet.

Purchase was a breeze. I was surprised at how courteous and professional the dealer personnel were. (I think I was expecting much worse based on previous Acura purchases.) The entire process, from negotiation to drive off, took about 75 minutes. Paid high $42k range. Phoenix-area shoppers, it's Bell Acura at 12th ave & Bell.

I shopped the car against the new IS350, also an amazing car, but for basically the same money, the RL just feels like so much more car. I'd owned a 3-series before, and wanted to move up a class in size and comfort. The IS seems to me like the best in its class, but it's a different class than the RL. With real-world pricing, it's tough to justify $5-$8k more for an M35 or GS300.

Some intitial impressions (randomness follows, some that's been done to death already):
  • The real-time traffic is actually really useful. I've started to trust it now, and saved getting stuck in traffic behind accidents at least twice now.
  • First car I've owned with Bluetooth integration -- that should be required by law on all cars.
  • It's comfortable first, fun second. Can't quite match 530 and M35 for fun-to-drive, though it's no slouch. Feels heavy, because it is. Haven't pushed it hard enough to render a verdict on SH-AWD yet.
  • I love the torque-distribution display. It keeps egging me on..."c'mon, three bars on one wheel!"
  • Audio system is smarter than about anything I've seen elsewhere. The ML system in the IS/GS are very-high quality, but not a smart as the RL.
  • I love having a whole tech package that's really unmatched by any other car short of the new S-class.
  • Nav system is spectacular. Display and interface aren't quite as nice as the IS, and I don't think the rotating knob is a revolution in industrial design. Voice control is awesome, but I often don't want to interrupt a song/radio program for non-essential voice commands. Common tasks should be easier to access without voice.
  • Some Bangle lines in the trunk, but SO much more nicely-resolved than the 7-series' butt.
  • The little blue lights hidden throughout the interior give a nice death-star feel at night. Be sure to set your menu and map color to blue
  • Exterior design is bland, but I rpefer it that way. "Interesting" is usually ugly, or at least uglier (IMHO, of course). The RL's blander than pretty much all of its competition, though I would personally say only the E350 and GS300 are better-looking.
  • Really, really nice leather. Interior wood is pretty, but seems too shiny and a little fake. Nice interior detailing and execution.
  • Back-seat space and comforts are minimal, surprising in a $50k car.
  • I keep finding new and cool things to do with the audio system. Just discovered support for DTS-CD, in addition to DVD-A. I wish it played DVD-Video in park, like the IS does.
  • The keyless entry is very handy. Would be better with a push-button starter.

Enough brain dump for now. Will try to take some pics soon and post them. Redondo Red went from 3rd preference to 1st when I saw on on the lot. Much sharper than in pictures. Cheers!
I have had mine now since Nov 10.
I have since put on 12K and just completed 6K going to San Diego from chicago, and back-let me say that having the knob on the navigation comes in real handy when you are driving at 100+ and want to make an aspect change.
I too thought at first that the knob was... well ugh, well on long term road driving, its much more functional.
As for the ignition, having to push a button twice to start a car and make sure you have your foot on the brake as some do is more intrusive than just a switch.
did the sales rep inform you that you dont have to hold the switch to start it?
Just give it one complete turn all the way and release, the car will auto start.
Also inside the switch is a fail-safe, the system has a problem, at least the key will start the car-will the Lexus start if the fob is damaged?
Old 03-28-2006, 12:21 PM
Advanced

I've had my RL for a few weeks, and after driving a SUV for 15+ years, it's taking time to adjust to being lower to the road. The seats are comfortable, more so than MB and Caddy. And a great sound system. But what makes me smile is the performance - this car hugs the road like nothing I've ever driven before. WOOHOO!

It's used (9000m) so I decided to replace the OEM with the 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Tires. What a great thing to do. Improves an already fine ride. Highly recommended.
Old 03-28-2006, 02:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Excellent review and I look forward to the pics. Red/Parchment is one of my favorite combos and very rare.

Glad it is a zero regrets purchase for you. I feel the same way about my 06 TSX and look forward to driving it more each time (even in LA traffic).
Old 03-28-2006, 05:26 PM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
I have had mine since January, having traded in my 2005 TL for it. Much like you and the majority of posters here, I love this car. There are certainly little things that I miss from my TL, like the Dual Mode A/C for example, but it certainly doesn't dampen my love for my RL.

Originally Posted by ckennedy
[*]Exterior design is bland, but I rpefer it that way. "Interesting" is usually ugly, or at least uglier (IMHO, of course). The RL's blander than pretty much all of its competition, though I would personally say only the E350 and GS300 are better-looking.

I wasn't really impressed with the exterior of the RL when I bought my TL. However, I think that the RL is an "acquired" taste. It really is a good looking car.
Old 03-28-2006, 06:42 PM
1st Gear

LOVE this car!!

I am an avid car trader. My husband gets extremely frustrated with my ever-changing car moods. I just traded an 03 Cad CTS for a NEW 05 RL (dealership owners wifes car for about 5 months) with 6k on it. Premium white/Parchment. May I say...beautiful car. This is the second Acura, first was 02 MDX which I really did like, RL is in totally different class. I love everything about it. The drivability is awesome, it handles like a dream. I looked at Audi A6, BMW 525 and though I liked how they drove as well, I love the RL. I believe it beats them hands down. The features are never-ending. I purchased a Moto V557 bluetooth and it works like a charm. I love the HFL.

As for styling, pure luxury. Leather is like butter. Love the Navi, Bose surround sound is awesome, keyless ignition/entry a great asset with packages in hand. Worth every penny!!
Old 04-11-2006, 12:27 AM
4th Gear

Another happy RL owner

Have had mine since November and it's still exciting to drive. A wonderful combination of comfort, luxury and sportiness. The control knob and control center is a pleasure to use and the GPS is fantastic. Fit and finish is better than any other car I looked at, and I looked at ll in the same class. The only problems were misunderstandings or ignorance about some of the electronic settings. I live in San Diego and an do a lot of highway driving and this is a pleasure to drive. I've owned a BMW 528, Lexus GS300, and a Saab 9-5, and this tops them all. Also drove an M35 for a week, but didn't find it very comfortable.
Old 04-11-2006, 01:16 AM
9th Gear

I have had my RL now since last July and I absolutlely love my car. I picked my Black on Black RL almost a year ago and due to the fact that I moved to NYC for college it sits in the garage at home with less then 3k miles on it. I love the attention this car gets. Mine is finished in the A spec Package and tinted windows. I had a TL and loved it as well, however the RL over time has it beat. I miss the high beam zenon lamps, and the ability to turn off the vsa and smoke the front end but other then that I love the way the sh-awd hugs the onramps at 85+ miles per hour lots of fun and can't wait to get home for the summer to drive it again!!!