New Rl owner

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 10:43 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Rl owner

Hi everyone, this is my first post.

I just ordered an '05 RL from Carmax, its coming from Maryland (to Miami FL).

51k miles, gray outside, gray inside.

Paying $20k plus $500 for the transport.

I'll post some pics when it gets here.

I absolute love acura's sh-awd system, my brother had an '07 rdx and i had it for a couple of months and never forgot how good it was, especially the technology package, the nav is really good and voice command amazing.

I plan to install the rearview camera, i think it doesnt bring it by default. other than that some 19" rims and replace the headlights if they're too worn or foggy. Inside depending on the condition, mainly replace the worn parts that are easy and fordable to replace.

can someone clarify this for me: what is included in the technology package that is not in the base package? and can it me added if i purchase the parts?

any advise is greatly welcomed, i hope it arrives soon so i can post some pics.

cheers.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:46 PM
ScoobyZINE

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Welcome to AcuraZine I've always loved the RL... shouldn't be necessary to replace the headlights
Old 08-13-2010, 04:51 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi and welcome. Rearview camera should be onboard already. But to be honest, it is not as good as parking sensors anyway. I have both - rear camera & parktronics all-around. The camera is good, when you are reversing to something straight behind you, it misrepresents distance on sides. So, sensors do better job actually.
I don't think there will be any need to replace headlights, those should be good on 51k.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:33 AM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Welcome!

1. First and most important. Check the service history of your '05. '05 model years tend to have a few bugs and issues that were fixed in later model years. Such as air condition compressor, flickering headlights, and most annoying....the propeller shaft whine when dirving between 30-40mph.

Only issue I had was the propeller shaft whine. I had it fixed at my dealer with my third party warranty.

2. '05 model years do not support the OEM rearview camera. You can still install an aftermarket one with a Navtool control unit and an aftermarket rearview camera that you can get off eBay. It will work just the same, if not better, because Navtool unit allows you to adjust the settings of the camera and add grid lines. I am actually in the process of installing one myself on my '05. There are How-To guides on this in the Audio and Electronics sub-forum section.

3. All '05s are "Tech Package" models. They are labeled as "Base" models because Acura did not offer any other trim for that model year. In '06 model year, Acura offered the "Base" trim which is like '05s and then a "Tech Package" trim which included the ACC/CMBS and PAX run flat tires. Finally in '07 - '08, Acura referred to "Base" models as ones without Nav units or other features such as heated seats or AFS lights, etc. '07-'08 "tech package" trims are the same as the '05-'06 " base models in the sense that they have nav, heated seats, AFS, etc.

Its a little confusing. Just know that your '05 is pretty much a "tech package" trim. Only higher trim is the ACC/CMBS Pax tire package.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:35 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Welcome unixpro and congrats on your RL.

For Model Year 2005, the RL came in only one configuration. Only dealer accessories were offered. There was no 'Tech' or 'CMBS/PAX/ACC' packages in the 2005MY (and were not available until 2006+ RLs)

All of your queries are covered in this forum at length, so plan some research time to help yu learn and understand the RL features as well as address any bugs your particular RL may have.

A few points:

The 2005 RL did not come with a Reverse Cam. The factory Accessory Cam which came available for 2006 RLs is not compatible with 2005 RL. Search for this feature on the forum and you will find some aftermarket solutions and detailed installs a few members generously provided.

What is your issue with the headlights? The RLs headlights are sealed units that cost upwards to $1000 to replace. Other than bulbs, be cautious of what you do to this complex component. There is also the Active Front Steering (AFS) feature which has multiple sensors and self leveling attributes. Don't monkey with these blindly.

As mention ed previously, the 2005MY came with one configuration, NAVI, AFS, ONSTAR, etc. The NAVI technology (Voice Commands, Text-to-Sp each, NAV Traffic etc.) are part of that configuration. However, software updates for the 2005 RL have improved those features and the NAVI DVD version in the trunk mounted DVD drive will impact those features. Check what version you have and research the volumes of posts out here as to the upgrade process and ascertain the value of upgrading to the current DVD version.

Check out the Tires, Wheels and Suspension sub forum. Due to the brake caliber size of the RL, it will limit your choices for wheels, or at least inform you where not to make assumptions about aftermarket wheel fittings and appropriate tires.

Last....most ALL of us spent weeks learning the RL features. Several 'garage dates' were spent with my RL the first few weeks I had it. Most everything is covered in the Manuals (Operators and Navigation manuals). It truly is worth time reading them as you will find features you did not expect the car to have. The personalized settings alone can boggle your mind. Also, go to MyAcura.com and register your VIN, NAVI Code & Stereo Codes. This will enable you to access online tutorials, demo videos and online copies of the Owner's manuals.

Then of course there is this RL forum....the most intelligent auto resource forum I have encountered yet.

The RL is a very under appreciated vehicle. But soon you will learn how much it has to offer in features, nuances, capability and subtle sophistication that most of the market and media overlooks.
Old 08-13-2010, 02:29 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you everyone for your reply, this forum rocks!

The reason I said to change the headlights is because older cars usually get a little frost on the headlights, but you're right about the price for headlights. What about the bulbs? i don't know if the 05 bulbs are the same as the 07 RDX's have, i absolutely love the color the emit, its pure white with some blue.

I definitely want camera/sensors on the car, i will definitely look into this to see if its something that can be done. for the camera, whatever i do i just want to make sure it integrates to the Acura system, so i dont have to use a separate screen to see the camera.

also thanks for the heads up on the wheel capacity issue. I did purchase a 2 yr warranty plan with carmax, this will include any issue with motor and transmission and electrical, its just a $50 deductible. My wife has a 07 outlander with the same warranty and so far they have covered all issues.

what mods do you guys recommend i do to this car, updating the nav system is on top of my list, the dvds sell cheap on ebay.

thanks again for all the replies.
Old 08-13-2010, 04:08 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Getting the haze out of the headlight lenses is relatively simple. Most detailers can do this where I see a $50-$75 fee typical. Also there are over the counter products, I believe both Mother's and Meguiar's have products. I have yet to see an RL with any haze.

When shopping for the NAVI DVDs be certain you get the appropriate disc for the RL. Discs for other models may work in some instances, but not for all the RL features (especially voice commands). The annual releases are usually in October, and when released, typically sell at discount around $150. The usual retail is $185. FYI the most recent versions (last 2 years) have not been reproducible from any copy software....beware of eBay sellers claiming such copies.

Check out the NAVIGATION sub forum. There are several active threads of Reversing Cams from 05 owners with aftermarket offerings.

The headlights on the RL are similar in color to the RDX, a HDL with a purple-blue color. There is likely no reason to change the bulbs.
Old 08-13-2010, 04:09 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Welcome and congrats!