New to the RL family, need some help

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 02:34 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile New to the RL family, need some help

Hello guys,

So I just bough a 2005 RL with 130K miles and I have couple questions. I have a Honda Accord but the RL is a bit different I guess.

1. My navigation settings reset after turning off the car. Is it a key thing? I only have driver 2 key and I don't know if it's something related to that.

2. The car kinda hesitates with some vibration around 30 to 40 mph when foot barley on the gas though. Otherwise it drives great. I've heard it could be torque converter and it's very common in RLs. Could it be that? what is ravage $$ to fix it?

3. I want to make my foglights work without turning my headlights on. Has anyone tried it? I know there is a DIY on TL but I'm not sure if it would work on the RL.

Thank you in advance,
Old 07-06-2015, 02:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,245 Likes on 4,856 Posts
All of the configurable settings are connected to the fob. It doesn't matter which fob you have, but it has to be sync'ed. Follow the instructions on the back of the fob. You can tell if it is sync'ed if the car says "Welcome Driver #" on the MID when you get in to start it.

You could just be in the lull between the bottom 5th gear and 4th. The RL throttle response is rather poor as is, and getting a response below 2k RPMs just makes it worse. It could be your TC, but that usually includes a whine with it. If the car drives fine otherwise, I wouldn't bother "fixing" it.

No one has tapped into the stock fog light switch to make them work like that. It isn't as straightforward as other cars because the signal goes to a controller. The easiest way to do it is to shirt the fog lights to the parking lights and use those. I designed a switch that would convert the DRL signal to 12V, but it could use improvements. Let me know if you really think you could tackle such a project, and I can fill you in on what to change. Link: The DRL -> Fog Switch - AcuraZine Community
The following 2 users liked this post by oo7spy:
Mufasa12 (07-07-2015), teh CL (07-07-2015)
Old 07-07-2015, 01:22 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you very much bud, the nav now works fine.
I will take the care to the dealer have the multi-points inspection and change all the necessary things and fluids since I just bought the car and I have no idea of its repairs history. I'm hoping not to spend more than a grand though (that's what I expect when I buy a new car).
I'm not gonna play with fog lights right now till I get a bit familiar with car. But when I do, I would love to know more about what you did.
Thank you again,