New Motortend RL ranks 2nd

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 10:06 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
I think that perhaps the magazines need to make clear that their comparisons are just that, strictly for comparison's sake. They don't really prove anything because unless you get exactly equivalent vehicles with near identical equipment fittings, there will always be some sort of bias in the results.

Of course, the readers of said articles also need to be intelligent enough not to accept the writings as gospel. They are a guideline. If anything, the comparison indicates that all six cars are worthy of a look and that none of them stand out as being particularly bad, just that they tend to each veer towards something different in their philosophies.
Old 02-01-2005, 10:55 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Rob L
Never said the industry revolves around the RL nor has ANYONE here. Way to pull that out of nowhere.

Anyway, the comaprisons are STUPID. How hard is it to see they are dumb?

What good is a comparison where they have 100-200 words on each car and talk about nothing...then they list the test results and the conclusion. WOW. Look at that MT comparo....you get pretty much nothing from it.

I dont give a shit if the RL doesnt win a comparo. Read my first f'ing post where I said I didn't care and wondered why people care.

I call comparos stupid because they are stupid. If they actually put more time into them and gave a DETAILED write-up then they would have more value. RT comparos are far better than MT comparos since at least they have a rating system rather than a tiny paragraph on each car and then bam, a conclusion that not always goes wiht the little write-ups. All most of these comparos do is give the number whores the chance to see the numbers and spout off on which car is better simply because of what does 0-60 or the 1/4 mile the best. Why didn't MT include sound levels in this comparo? Nah couldn't do that...I suppose what idiot who is buying a 50K LUXURY car cares if the car is quiet or not.

I think one is more child like if they find these simple comparisons so valuable...I could get an 8th grader to whip up a better comparison than what these mags do.

I can only guess they dont go more in depth because the avg car mag reader doesnt have the attention span or desire or intelligence to read 15+ pages...

I also think it is bullshit that car mags cant get a specific set up model from car companies and that excuse is given for how there are cars in a comparo across the board in feature set and price. You trying to tell me if MT or C&D asks so and so company for a car with specific features they will say no? Riiiiight. They already know many look at comparos like the gospel.

I gave up putting value into comparisons about 4 years ago when I realized how useless and illogical they were...sorry for me having my own opinion and thinking comparisons mean jackshit.
First of all you need to calm down! I didn'y say you should look at the comparison as gospel. If you do then that's you. I personally like competition when it comes to cars. Hell I'll race a Vette on the interstate and already knowing the Vette is faster but what the hell. Some people don't like competition and you seem to be one of those people. It does sound like kids. OOOOOOOOOH my car didn't come in first so that competition is stupid. I do agree that some mags. go into more detail than others but no one wants to sit there and read a 15+ page rite up
on six cars. Especially, not with the font they tend to use. I do admit I think the point system that some mags use is more valid and makes alot of sense. I have nothing against you bro but I do think you have it twisted. Even the car companies value these magazine results. I think even they may take it for more than I do even though I do like them. If you walk into your local Acura dealer you'll find a copy of the RL article from R&T by Shaun Bailey. I actually have it right here on my desk. Acura even had one for the TL when I bought my TL. I went to get an oil change some time ago on my wife's Infiniti and they were boasting and had the article copies of the G35 beig C&D car of the year. So you see even the car companies use the comparisons for what they are worth and move on. Just like you should do.
Old 02-01-2005, 11:02 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Rob L
Funny that the guy basically saying it doesn't matter what the conclusions of the comapros are started the thread with this post.

I (or others who think comparos are silly) get called a child because I/we think how comparisons are done is silly and not in depth yet I am not going on how Acura needs to ditch a proven platform simply because they don't have a #1 under their belt. Okaaaaaay

Who on this site wouldn't like to see a #1 finally for an Acura in one of these comparos. It doesen't mean if it doesn't happen that Acura builds a bad car. It's just all about bragging rights. Like I stated before use it for what it is and move on. You need to lighten up. I hope you're not a
Old 02-02-2005, 12:03 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
An Acura has never gotten a #1 in a major comparo? I'm sure they must have somewhere...

If it makes anyone feel better, the 2003/04/05 Accord has been #1 in EVERY SINGLE major mag comparo that it has been in. I know it's a Honda and not an Acura, but ja know....
Old 02-02-2005, 12:51 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by jrock65
An Acura has never gotten a #1 in a major comparo? I'm sure they must have somewhere...
2000 TL-P got #1 in a C&D nine car comparo and in Edmunds an '02 TL-S has gotten #1 also. I'm sure there's more that I'm forgetting.
Old 02-02-2005, 01:03 AM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by DownUnder
2000 TL-P got #1 in a C&D nine car comparo and in Edmunds an '02 TL-S has gotten #1 also. I'm sure there's more that I'm forgetting.
TL-P?
Old 02-02-2005, 07:14 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree that it is funny that it is difficult to know what MT meant about "2nd place barely". This is poor writing depending which way was meant, since it could have meant that RL lost by only a coin-flip and that would be significant.

I like the way Consumer Reports does a bar graph on its concluding rank. You can then see if the winner won by a little or a lot which might make a difference to someone who sees that a 1st place was barely won by a car that cost a lot more for example.

I also like the way Consumer Reports BUYS the cars they test and that they accept no advertising. That is the way to show your readers that you will not be biased.
Old 02-02-2005, 01:36 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Incendiary
TL-P?
The P is for premium.
Old 02-02-2005, 02:28 PM
Hello!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Its not really losing
1. Motor Trend is known by true enthusiasts to be he worst auto mag.
2. The competition is better than ever
3. The ifninity car is built to be sportier than any acura, so acura will lose, since the mags go for the sportiest car usually

IMO, the article was bad, nothing was really explained. They just wanted to be the FIRST with a review of these cars together. The STS is a fine car and 5th, the A6 4th.

ALl the cars are very solid, except maybe the Jag. And I don't think I've ever seen Acura as #1 in any mag. Hell nor Infiniti until the G35 (and that was just 1 mag).
Old 02-02-2005, 03:40 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by DownUnder
Acura RSX-S was also #1 in Edmunds comparo and the MDX tied with the BMW X5 for 1st place in Edmunds luxury crossover test back in 2002.
Old 02-02-2005, 04:27 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by phile
Acura RSX-S was also #1 in Edmunds comparo and the MDX tied with the BMW X5 for 1st place in Edmunds luxury crossover test back in 2002.
The RSX got #1 in C&D comparo also. So Acura does have some under it's belt.
Old 02-07-2005, 12:56 PM
whoXwanXsum

i drove the new rl, and i wasn't feeling it one bit. i prefer the tl over the rl by a mile.
Old 02-07-2005, 04:16 PM
Racer

Each to his/her own.

I found a big enough difference , but since you didn't, you can get the car you prefer and save some $$$.

Good luck with your TL.

Pete
Old 02-08-2005, 05:20 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by petemc
Each to his/her own.

I found a big enough difference , but since you didn't, you can get the car you prefer and save some $$$.

Good luck with your TL.

Pete
Ditto for me. I haven't looked back since I traded in my '04 TL, and I appreciate the $$$ difference more everyday.
Old 02-16-2005, 05:04 AM
Racer

I read the Motor Trend article and still bought the RL and love it. Traded my 04TL for it. I bought a new 88 Grand Prix after reading Motor Trend's article. It was the 'Car of the Year' that year. Worst piece of crap I ever had.

I think MT does pretty good overall. All six cars they tested are all great cars and it really comes down to personal preference. In my opinion, the only way to really know a car is to buy it and drive it everyday. You can't tell much by driving it 50 miles or so.
Old 02-16-2005, 08:32 AM
office monkey

The new R&T has a 20+ page comparison for "best all around sports car" and includes I think 9 models....it is a badass comparo with actual information and THAT is how comparisons should be not the shit in the M&T comparo of these luxo sports sedans.